Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that one is just so egregious because the movie is good. It took less than ten years for fans to reappraise it and realize how good it is, sometimes audiences just don't respond to something right away. The studio should've understood that she directed the hell out of that movie and counted it as a mark in her favor, not against her.

If anyone is curious the How Did This Get Made crew did an episode on the movie with Lexi as their guest and she drops a whole bunch of stories about how she got talked into making the film and all the studio interference that went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1095805696308887553

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1095807155385581568

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A real common theme in this thread is: "I always hated that fucker."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah Ryan Adams being a total creep has been brought up before. It's good that the light is being shown on the music industry

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please don't mistake him for Bryan Adams, who I hope after almost 40+ years in the business he isn't a chode.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

motherFUCKer, so now Whiskeytown is cancelled by default and "Pneumonia" is one of the perfect albums in existence.

I mean, you could tell just by looking at the guy that he sucked but I didn't realize it was the kind of "completely controlling monster who roadblocks women's success while attempting to groom them" kind of suck.

Vintersorg posted:

Please don't mistake him for Bryan Adams, who I hope after almost 40+ years in the business he isn't a chode.

Having worked for the guy, I can at least say his checks don't bounce and he treats his touring crew with respect?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
His Taylor Swift obsession was always a little weird.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

the escape goat posted:

Having worked for the guy, I can at least say his checks don't bounce and he treats his touring crew with respect?
He also fronts random teenagers money for weed which is :krad:.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ryan Adams being a piece of poo poo is one of those rumors you heard years ago and kind of dismissed it because there wasnt any place to really discuss it or connect with people who had similar experiences.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ryan Adams has always sucked. Expanding into sexual abuse is just franchising it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rhyno posted:

Ryan Adams being a piece of poo poo is one of those rumors you heard years ago and kind of dismissed it because there wasnt any place to really discuss it or connect with people who had similar experiences.

Also sounds like a running theme

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019
Two or three weeks ago I stumbled on a live version of a Ryan Adams song on Apple Music, at the end of which an audience member jokingly called out a request for a Bryan Adams song. Ryan Adams then had a very long and very cringeworthy rant about how pathetic the audience member was (I think he may even have called them evil, or something equally hyperbolic). What struck me most was that, as lovely as his response was, he thought it was worth including on the live album unedited. He definitely appears to have a very controlling and manipulative personality (weren't there also stories of him leaving angry voicemails on the personal phones of reviewers?). Manipulating women and then negatively impacting their career certainly seems "on brand" for him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Tangentially related to the purpose of this thread, but the Jussie Smollett hate-crime is getting weird. He said that he was attacked by two maga-hat wearing white guys (Though he's since said that's not what he claimed?) who beat on him because he was gay and called him slurs, but now they've arrested two Nigerian's who worked with Smollett on EMPIRE.

I hope it isn't a hoax, or something like that because having such a high profile case turn out to be fabricated is going to set a whole lot of steps back for people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I've been following it. It feels like the story changes every few hours.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yeah this is the latest on it and yikes

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1096919646207381513

Still not a lot of information out there though so it may change more.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The only detail that struck me as off about the original story (Aside from the all-too-perfect harassers) was that Smollett had walked around with a noose on his neck instead of taking it off. I know that you can never know how you'd act in a situation until you're in it, but this is a noose, tight around your neck.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

DrVenkman posted:

The only detail that struck me as off about the original story (Aside from the all-too-perfect harassers) was that Smollett had walked around with a noose on his neck instead of taking it off. I know that you can never know how you'd act in a situation until you're in it, but this is a noose, tight around your neck.

How about we don't go taking the police's word on a black man getting assaulted just yet? Or make assumptions about the proper behavior of a victim.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If it is confirmed that Smollett orchestrated the attack, then he should face proper repercussions. But until that proof exists, I choose to believe the victim. I just can’t really adopt a philosophy of “let’s wait and see” when it comes to someone being assaulted.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is an active investigation that will likely wrap up within months, if not weeks. You don't need to have an opinion on this right now. You can, indeed, choose to fuckin wait and see.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Vegetable posted:

This is an active investigation that will likely wrap up within months, if not weeks. You don't need to have an opinion on this right now. You can, indeed, choose to fuckin wait and see.

Cool. So you’re saying maybe let’s not jump to conclusions about, say, R. Kelly? Last I checked he hasn’t been charged for the new underage sex tape floating around yet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The R. Kelly allegations have floated around for decades. Jump to all the conclusions you want.

This, on the other hand, emerged three weeks ago and details are coming out every few days. Please don't tell us you can't wait and see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fart City posted:

Cool. So you’re saying maybe let’s not jump to conclusions about, say, R. Kelly? Last I checked he hasn’t been charged for the new underage sex tape floating around yet.

R. Kelly has massive amounts of evidence that dates back decades and is well known to only be free due to a miscarriage of justice. This isn't even close to the same thing as "Wait for more info to come out from a case less than a month old that's still being investigated."

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
They already have the transaction record of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store. You can continue to believe the obviously false story until everything's put down in writing, or you can exercise your common sense and accept that he definitely made all that poo poo up. You really think there are pairs of chuds in maga hats standing around downtown chicago in the middle of a polar vortex with ropes and bleach just waiting to slightly scuff a d-list actor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the coldest day of the year at 2am.

Hate crimes are an atrocity but this rear end in a top hat faked this entire thing.

"I fought the gently caress back."

He's going to be the cause of a lot of damage going forward.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thekeeshman posted:

They already have the transaction record of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store. You can continue to believe the obviously false story until everything's put down in writing, or you can exercise your common sense and accept that he definitely made all that poo poo up. You really think there are pairs of chuds in maga hats standing around downtown chicago in the middle of a polar vortex with ropes and bleach just waiting to slightly scuff a d-list actor?

It's a really weird case and a lot of media personalities have drawn attention to it because Smollett is involved in activism and/or knows them personally. Early on the news that Smollett faked the attack was coming from leaks that the Chicago PD was not corroborating through official channels, and most of the information is still based on leaks, from what I can tell.

It will be a shame if this turns out to have been a publicity stunt, which is looking more and more likely. At minimum his career will end and damage will be done to good causes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thekeeshman posted:

You really think there are pairs of chuds in maga hats standing around downtown chicago in the middle of a polar vortex with ropes and bleach just waiting to slightly scuff a d-list actor?

While this certainly looks like a fake attack, it doesn't seem impossible. Liam Neeson just admitted that he spent several weeks wandering around with a weapon hoping he'd have an excuse to kill a black person.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

Normally I'd agree with this. Smollett's claims are improbable. But Chicago cops are known for some really scummy behavior. Now they appear to have leaked rumors that it was all staged to media outlets while publicly denying those rumors. It smells like a roundabout way of smearing Smollett. Who the gently caress knows what's true at this stage.

This is precisely the kind of case where people should wait and see.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wouldn’t the assumption be for a pretty public case like this, they’d have to be pretty straight about the investigation? Especially if they’re scummy, they’d want to avoid unnecessary attention to the illegal stuff they do to average people?

Then again, the LAPD botched the OJ case in about a hundred different ways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cops are shockingly bad at their job. There's a huge amount of incompetence beyond just the systemic issues of racism and corruption. And then Chicago cops have even worse problems with racism and corruption than most police forces. They make OJ and Rodney King era LAPD look like the cast of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

thekeeshman posted:

They already have the transaction record of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store.

I know that when I prepare for a lynchin', I hand make my rope. Ain't no store bought poo poo gonna debase my hate crimin'

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah this is gonna take weeks if not months to resolve, but Smollett's two friends buying the rope that was later placed around his neck sure does not look good for him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As far as I can tell these are still just unsubstantiated rumors from the same place all these "Smollett faked it" rumors have come from this whole time and which the police themselves have shot down. As best as I can tell even the idea that the guys in question are "friends" with Smollett comes from the same anonymous unsubstantiated sources.

I don't know what the truth of this is and if evidence comes out that's more than just anonymous rumors that Smollett staged it I'll consider that. But people seem really quick to just go with "anonymous sources close to the police" when that seems kind of uncommon from the general attitude around these parts. My only generous guess is that its people engaging in some kind of "if we jump on this and it turns out to be fake it will be bad, so lets be super cynical about it" thing. You know, besides the other explanation or the "its just so improbable that there's violent racism and hate in America."

Like "it seemed too cold for this attack to happen" is such a weird idea to me. If it was too cold for some people to commit a hate attack why wasn't it too cold for someone to stage such an attack? I don't follow this logic at all.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Like "it seemed too cold for this attack to happen" is such a weird idea to me. If it was too cold for some people to commit a hate attack why wasn't it too cold for someone to stage such an attack? I don't follow this logic at all.

If it was an attack where they were stalking Smollett specifically and knew where to go to attack him, then there's no difference if it's real or faked. But if it was a random assault by people wandering the streets looking to start trouble, then they were more likely to be out in the cold for a bit longer (or at least expected to be out in the cold for longer).

I don't know enough of the details, and I don't think that in itself is damning evidence. My only feeling that this was more shocking because some aspects seemed so extraordinary, so if it was staged it wouldn't be all too surprising either.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would never trust the word of a cop, let alone Chicago police, who have been known assassinate and torture people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those 'suspects' would admit to being on the grassy knoll and stealing fire from the gods if it meant staying out of the blacksite.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

As far as I can tell these are still just unsubstantiated rumors from the same place all these "Smollett faked it" rumors have come from this whole time and which the police themselves have shot down. As best as I can tell even the idea that the guys in question are "friends" with Smollett comes from the same anonymous unsubstantiated sources.

I don't know what the truth of this is and if evidence comes out that's more than just anonymous rumors that Smollett staged it I'll consider that. But people seem really quick to just go with "anonymous sources close to the police" when that seems kind of uncommon from the general attitude around these parts. My only generous guess is that its people engaging in some kind of "if we jump on this and it turns out to be fake it will be bad, so lets be super cynical about it" thing. You know, besides the other explanation or the "its just so improbable that there's violent racism and hate in America."

Yeah, it's entirely possible that those sources are just random cops who aren't even working on the case talking out of their asses because they totally have a hunch about "what really happened". It doesn't help that right wing media and the usual suspects on social media have been signal boosting the gently caress out of this theory, consistently presenting it as settled fact when it's anything but.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/18/jussie-smollet-motive-staged-attack/

According to this, this is beginning to shape up as Smollett escalating a series of hoaxes on himself for attention.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They have surveillance footage of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store it was definitely a hoax you guys, he was about to get canned from the show and thought a hate crime would help his contract pull.

It’s deeply unfortunate but in this one particularly public instance the victim was actually lying for attention and has deeply damaged the surrounding conversation as a result.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

They have surveillance footage of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store it was definitely a hoax you guys, he was about to get canned from the show and thought a hate crime would help his contract pull.

It’s deeply unfortunate but in this one particularly public instance the victim was actually lying for attention and has deeply damaged the surrounding conversation as a result.

No you see the footage was doctored and this is all a smear campaign and reasons reason reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Bust Rodd posted:

As in deeply damaged the reputations of the people who knee-jerked. The Democrats have been using the media to foist their KKK brand onto Republicans since the 60s. This is just the latest example. Do you think it's just a coincidence that this story broke just when Kamala Harris was trying to push her anti-lynching bill? The last lynching happened in the 60s, when the KKK and the Democrats were still best buddies. They've knee-jerking their way to try and paint Republicans as KKK supporters ever since (some of them are, but far fewer than Democrats were back in the day). They may have knee jerked themselves off a cliff this time though.