Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

You wouldn't think Baskin would be an example of a director holding back but apparently it was.

Yeah, I'm already kinda bracing myself to watch something like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I'm already kinda bracing myself to watch something like that again.

It's similar to Baskin in that (very very mild spoiler about the pacing)it has a slow build to the last act and then poo poo just completely pops off in the final 30 minutes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Well I did really like Baskin so, alright, sure, I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I was incredibly disappointed by Housewife because I thought Baskin was dope. It's just a super tedious film until that finale, also the score sucked rear end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SMP posted:

I was incredibly disappointed by Housewife because I thought Baskin was dope. It's just a super tedious film until that finale, also the score sucked rear end.

I agree that Baskin is better, it's a more consistently tense and entertaining movie, the first two thirds of Housewife doesn't work nearly as well. Baskin had this unsettling quality to it right from the first frame that Housewife I think did attempt but wasn't nearly as successful at it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hi I'm here to drag everyone back in scarecrow talk. I want a movie about the Amish fighting sentient Scarecrows with farm tools and maybe like an old civil war cannon. The battle can spill out onto the streets of a quiet Pennsylvania town and the townspeople can help fight the Scarecrows as well.

The sentient Scarecrows were summoned by an evil Amish outcast. Also lol that my phone capitalizes Scarecrows.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Not feeling this Witness 2 treatment at all

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw. It’s surprisingly funny. I can see how people would be annoyed by some of the more vestigial story lines (like the Malkovich stuff) but I was fine just chilling in the weird world that it’s set in. It’s a better movie objectively but I’d rewatch Velvet Buzzsaw before I rewatched Nightcrawler.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bluedeanie posted:

Not feeling this Witness 2 treatment at all

As a Jew I feel that the idea is appropriating our culture by applying the Golem story to the Amish world.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As a Jew I feel that the idea is appropriating our culture by applying the Golem story to the Amish world.

Speaking of this isn’t there some new Golem movie out?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Speaking of this isn’t there some new Golem movie out?

Oh yea? I wasn't aware, I'd love to see a new take on that myth. The X-files episode was always one of my favorites.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw. It’s surprisingly funny. I can see how people would be annoyed by some of the more vestigial story lines (like the Malkovich stuff) but I was fine just chilling in the weird world that it’s set in. It’s a better movie objectively but I’d rewatch Velvet Buzzsaw before I rewatched Nightcrawler.

Your post, for some reason, just made the Malkovich plot make more sense to me.

Everyone who gets killed is killed for being sell-outs or monetizing creativity and art with no regards for the artists or creative process. Malkovich's character leaves the industry and ultimately gets to survive because he refuses to sell out. He has artist's block, and tries to work through it. He never sells out, he never attempts to make lesser work that doesn't mean something to him personally, he doesn't do anything for a paycheck. He rather give up his sobriety for actual inspiration and creative energy than maintain sobriety and put out meaningless bullshit. And he is rewarded by living peacefully on a beach, far away from the stuffy lovely art world, gleefully drawing designs in sand, which gives him extreme legitimate joy, and which will be washed away by the tide rather than be able to be monetized.

Pretty neat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea? I wasn't aware, I'd love to see a new take on that myth. The X-files episode was always one of my favorites.

Yeah it’s this: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8329290/

Looks like it’s on VOD now.

Franchescanado posted:

Your post, for some reason, just made the Malkovich plot make more sense to me.

Everyone who gets killed is killed for being sell-outs or monetizing creativity and art with no regards for the artists or creative process. Malkovich's character leaves the industry and ultimately gets to survive because he refuses to sell out. He has artist's block, and tries to work through it. He never sells out, he never attempts to make lesser work that doesn't mean something to him personally, he doesn't do anything for a paycheck. He rather give up his sobriety for actual inspiration and creative energy than maintain sobriety and put out meaningless bullshit. And he is rewarded by living peacefully on a beach, far away from the stuffy lovely art world, gleefully drawing designs in sand, which gives him extreme legitimate joy, and which will be washed away by the tide rather than be able to be monetized.

Pretty neat.

Yeah you’re right, I should have gotten that. What else were people not liking about it? Not flashy enough?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I've been meaning to watch The Golem , hear it's really good

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah it’s this: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8329290/

Looks like it’s on VOD now.

Yeah you’re right, I should have gotten that. What else were people not liking about it? Not flashy enough?

It feels like a lot of people bounced off Velvet Buzzsaw because although it’s absolutely nuts, it’s not really nuts in the specific ways they wanted to be. It’s definitely a horror movie, but it’s also a darkly comedic character piece.

It’s like... a pop giallo almost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Excuse me sir I am a giallo purist and I insist that you not use that term for American films

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My mistake, I’ll use the appropriate, Americanized term: pop jello

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Please, you can only properly call it that if it comes from the Giallo region of Italy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Please, you can only properly call it that if it comes from the Giallo region of Italy

The film also has to be composed of at least 51% J&B whisky.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This thread abides by the European Union classification of horror sub genres.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just a level of expectation that's impossible to meet.

Nightcrawler is pretty much a perfect film. It's also serious and menacing. The comedic moments aren't laugh-out-loud funny because the jokes are being delivered by a terrifying person.

So then the same guy says they're making a horror film, which is a satire with the evocative and violent name Velvet Buzzsaw.

But then it's a goofy dark comedy with a horror film's premise.

And it's not really a satire, but more of a commentary about an industry that profits from creativity. There's no bite to it, because the film loves this art community. It's fascinated by it.

And Velvet Buzzsaw turns out to be the name of a punk band a character was in at one point, which is mentioned in passing. It's an interesting title, because Rhodora was, at one point an influential artist who her peers admired, but she gave up that lifestyle because it was 1) difficult, 2) she lost respect for the creative process, and 3) found out that being a sell-out by being a parasite to other persons creative projects is much more lucrative and she's good at it. She is the last to die because she at least was creative at one point, and she acknowledges and attempts to redeem herself. However, her "act of redemption" is...selling art. It just happens to be the art she personally owns. So then her physical reminder of this, the Velvet Buzzsaw tattoo, kills her.

The title evokes a colorful gory gritty film with violent kills which delivers a harsh judgement over elitists, and the film is not that. At all. It's more like "What if we did Altman's Nashville, but in the art community, and more than one person dies?" People wanted Jake Gyllenhaal to deliver another disturbing character like in Nightcrawler, and instead they get the loveably goofy well-meaning but misguided art critic Morf Vandewalt.

Anyway, I solidly believe that the harsh opinions on Velvet Buzzsaw will soften, and in a few years, it'll be reconsidered as a fun but flawed* dark comedy. Not the director's masterpiece, but a solid entry in his filmography.

But I'm also an artist who is fascinated with stories exploring the art community.

*For instance, I know why the film didn't have actual streams of prop blood spraying out of the giant metal ball when Gretchen has her arm ripped off, like a giant version of the killer orb from Phantasm, but that doesn't excuse it, in my book.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 13, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, I've always thought that it would be fun to have a horror movie based off of the real life "haunted" painting The Anguished Man, as well as the other famous haunted painting by reclusive artist Bill Stoneheim, The Hands Resist Him.

And guess what? Dan Gilroy delivered.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

People wanted Jake Gyllenhaal to deliver another disturbing character like in Nightcrawler, and instead they get the loveably goofy well-meaning but misguided art critic Morf Vandewalt.

Morf was just the best and the only character I rooted for to escape their fate. But I also really liked how his death scene went down. Poor guy was trying his best there but it was too late.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

Also, I've always thought that it would be fun to have a horror movie based off of the real life "haunted" painting The Anguished Man, as well as the other famous haunted painting by reclusive artist Bill Stoneheim, The Hands Resist Him.

Uh hello all of the trapped in a painting scenes from Death Bed: The Bed That Eats?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a online gallery somewhere where you can eyeball the prop paintings?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5quI9NXkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFMvuxeu9t4

The entire soundtrack is comprised of Bon Jovi ripoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-4f0dZGBo

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 13, 2019

SMP
May 5, 2009

Velvet Buzzsaw wasn't as funny to me as it should have been because the high art world is beyond satire. Just looking at it is the comedy, there's nothing to make fun of that isn't already inherently insane.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Untrustable posted:

Hi I'm here to drag everyone back in scarecrow talk. I want a movie about the Amish fighting sentient Scarecrows with farm tools and maybe like an old civil war cannon. The battle can spill out onto the streets of a quiet Pennsylvania town and the townspeople can help fight the Scarecrows as well.

The sentient Scarecrows were summoned by an evil Amish outcast. Also lol that my phone capitalizes Scarecrows.

I wonder if evil scarecrows are exempt from Anabaptist pacifism.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder if evil scarecrows are exempt from Anabaptist pacifism.

I dunno. Do the Scarecrows have faces? Also can Scarecrows be considered dolls?

"A sociological study from 2007 says that the dolls are left faceless because "all are alike in the eyes of God", and that the lack of facial features agrees with the Bible's commandment against graven images."

"There are several accounts of the origins of faceless dolls used by Amish children. One account says that a young Amish girl was given a rag doll with a face for Christmas. Her father became upset and cut the head off the doll. He reportedly said "Only God can make people.""

So I'd say that the Amish would find Scarecrows (with faces) an abomination and a slight against god that needed to be destroyed. If the Scarecrows did not have faces then I guess they'd just leave them alone. I guess there's not a movie to be had in my premise if it's predicated solely on Scarecrows with faces.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Untrustable posted:

I dunno. Do the Scarecrows have faces? Also can Scarecrows be considered dolls?

"A sociological study from 2007 says that the dolls are left faceless because "all are alike in the eyes of God", and that the lack of facial features agrees with the Bible's commandment against graven images."

"There are several accounts of the origins of faceless dolls used by Amish children. One account says that a young Amish girl was given a rag doll with a face for Christmas. Her father became upset and cut the head off the doll. He reportedly said "Only God can make people.""

So I'd say that the Amish would find Scarecrows (with faces) an abomination and a slight against god that needed to be destroyed. If the Scarecrows did not have faces then I guess they'd just leave them alone. I guess there's not a movie to be had in my premise if it's predicated solely on Scarecrows with faces.

What if it's about an Amish farmer who makes a faceless scarecrow but the next day he wakes up the scarecrow has a face and no one will admit to doing it. He has to destroy the scarecrow according to his beliefs, and builds another, but again, the next morning someone has made a face on the new scarecrow. Is he slowly going insane or is someone sneaking into his cornfield at night with a Sharpie!?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Stryder posted:

What if it's about an Amish farmer who makes a faceless scarecrow but the next day he wakes up the scarecrow has a face and no one will admit to doing it. He has to destroy the scarecrow according to his beliefs, and builds another, but again, the next morning someone has made a face on the new scarecrow. Is he slowly going insane or is someone sneaking into his cornfield at night with a Sharpie!?

That's actually a really good idea for at least a short film and someone should do it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Stryder posted:

MOON, but with an isolated Amish man on a farm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Housewife is loving insane and good. I actually liked it more than Baskin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Housewife is loving insane and good. I actually liked it more than Baskin.

I feel like maybe I might get some insights into Baskin if I rewatch it now because of what he was doing in Housewife with the whole dreamworlds thing.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

K. Waste posted:

That's actually a really good idea for at least a short film and someone should do it.

I would watch the poo poo out of this if it turns out that three Amish kids in the thralls of Rumspringa are playing a practical joke on the farmer, not knowing that they are inadvertently creating a small army of sentient scarecrows. Shoot it like a period piece a la The VVitch only set in like rural Pennsylvania and call it The ScarecroVV.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is Housebound good?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Is Housebound good?

Yes. It's real good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

How has there never been a Scarecrow movie titled The Last Straw? :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Went and saw Happy Death Day 2U. Just like the first one, it's hilarious and a ton of fun. There's one death that reminded me of First Reformed, of all things :raise: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

I always assumed Chucky had man strength but weighed nothing. So once you get him off the floor he's screwed because he can't really do anything with it.

If you haven't spent a lot of time thinking about how to fight a killer doll then I don't know what to tell you.

The trick I had for Chucky was to not fight him and get him high instead. Just offer him some weed if he shows up to mellow him out a bit and then get him drunk. He's a serial killer but he still had people he could kind of hang out with for a bit until he killed them, so be cool with him, then leave when he passes out.

I came up with scenarios for *everyone* when younger. When we were on the playground talking about Jason and Freddy, we constantly scenarioed that kind of stuff. Some, like Pinhead or Candyman were "don't do this thing or hang around someone that does this thing," though, to be fair.