Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Anyone else think the combat AI seems weird and more passive since the 1.8.1 patch? Granted, I just started playing a week ago with 1.7.1 so I don't have much else to compare it to. Even had Captain Benard bug out in training which never happened before.

E: Also, having a lot of fun with the game, definitely janky, but I like it. Reminds me of old crpgs like Morrowind and Gothic and stuff. Game def isn't perfect but makes me think their next title will be neat. What are the "OP perks" to avoid to keep the combat fun past the early game? Assuming don't pick the ones that increase your damage, don't use weapons over 60 strength, don't whore face stabbing and master strikes?

E2: Am I at stage one? :v:

Azuren fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, even though the setting is obviously different, it does remind me of Morrowind. It has the same kind of difficulty curve where it starts out really unforgiving, no holds barred, with the tables gradually getting turned as it's you that starts breaking the game. Even some of the details are similar, like being able to increase your stats just by running around.

Haven't quite mastered the combat yet, though. Can't get past the second round in the tourney, for example. That Talmberg guy kicks my rear end, or more accurately, I can never seem to hit him and the fights last forever until I'm finally out of health. What are these OP tricks and perks that people keep talking about?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Stabbing motherfuckers in the face repeatedly is OP. With a strong longsword you can basically cheese any fight by stabbing repeatedly coupled with sprinting slightly out of distance and then back to the target to stab. It’s like the AI can’t figure out what to do if you break combat to run, even if it’s just 5 feet away and back again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll have to try that. People keep mentioning stabbing, so far I've mostly just feinted with slashes.

Patch: noticed a major change just now, you can no longer ride your horse when overloaded. That's a big one, glad I already have a ton of Groschen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

I'll have to try that. People keep mentioning stabbing, so far I've mostly just feinted with slashes.

Patch: noticed a major change just now, you can no longer ride your horse when overloaded. That's a big one, glad I already have a ton of Groschen.

Also make sure you've done ALL of bernard's training (lots of folks forget to)

But mostly yeah

except stabbing

Phlegmish posted:

WTF someone write a mod

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phlegmish posted:

Haven't quite mastered the combat yet, though. Can't get past the second round in the tourney, for example. That Talmberg guy kicks my rear end, or more accurately, I can never seem to hit him and the fights last forever until I'm finally out of health. What are these OP tricks and perks that people keep talking about?

Use axes generally because you can knock people out easily and it smashes through most armour compared to swords. The head cracker talent knocks people out easily. For the tournament drink the potion that makes you use 50% less stamina before you start it so you can just attack them constantly until they can't defend

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Get the perk that makes you win weapon clinches easier. Whenever you win a clinch with someone they back up and you can walk up to them and usually get a free hit or two in them. Not always, but it's reliable even though its kinda cheesy.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot to mention clinches as part of the cheesy stab and run technique. The stabbing often comes out of a clinch and basically if you get in a clinch you are guaranteed at least one hit, usually more since they can’t do anything after losing a clinch. I tried to play the game not doing all of that because I wanted to try to win by actually swordfighting but when a bunch of heavily armored enemies would jump me on the road I always knew I had a way to win if I needed it.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

What's the difference between small repair kits and large repair kits, besides the price and the weight? Are they more efficient and lose less condition per repair? Can they repair worse damage, or is that limited solely by maintenance skill?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I haven't done any sort of analysis but I always take the large repair kits when I can, the small ones run out really quickly and I have enough money anyway.

Speaking of money, I'm pretty sure the patch reset all the traders. My main man the apothecary finally got rid of the 2,000 Marigold Decoctions

e: lol gently caress you Johanka, the custodian is a lecherous prick who doesn't care about the wounded and who threw me in jail and you say you like him because unlike me he's 'always been there'. He lives and works at the monastery whereas I have no connection to Sasau and just lost my parents and all of my possessions, you idiot.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 8, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Where the hell do I have to be in order to bark like a dog and scare the guy off?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you need arrows and you have decent combat stats, I suggest you head over to Pribyslavitz. Lots of mid-tier enemies, some of them have ludicrous amounts of arrows on them. This guy was walking around with 6.5K arrows:

Another guy had 2.3K Better Piercing Arrows, so I'm basically set for the rest of the game.

I've been looking at the DLC for this, but the Hans one has awful reviews and the settlement one has a middling score. Is the latter worth getting, at least?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've been looking at the DLC for this, but the Hans one has awful reviews and the settlement one has a middling score. Is the latter worth getting, at least?

Hans is alright, but it's too expensive for what amounts to a couple of hours worth of content, don't buy it unless it's on sale or something.

Settlement is also alright, you basically get put in charge of a small village you have to build up over a long period of time and invest a lot of capital in the hopes getting a return on that invest through resources and items you can use. You don't get a lot of player agency over how the village gets built other than, for example, deciding to let a armor or weapon smith set-up shop, so on and so forth.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mondian posted:

No, you're right they are complete shitheads

You know I actually really appreciated how the game did this thing, especially if you were not playing an rear end in a top hat who steals and murders and whatever on a whim. Where when you were a kid, you were living a fairly comfortable peasant life in a quiet village with a lord powerful enough that nobody hosed with it, so you were kind of a jerk with a few rear end in a top hat friends who got into trouble a lot. Then poo poo happens, you have to grow up real fast, and now you're trying to be a good noble person because you don't want your bad behavior to reflect on a patron who went out of his way to look after you, but your friends are still dicks and try and rope you into their dickery. It actually did have that nice feel of the person you're trying to be coming into conflict with the person you used to be, in a way that was not terribly forced.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Hans is alright, but it's too expensive for what amounts to a couple of hours worth of content, don't buy it unless it's on sale or something.

Settlement is also alright, you basically get put in charge of a small village you have to build up over a long period of time and invest a lot of capital in the hopes getting a return on that invest through resources and items you can use. You don't get a lot of player agency over how the village gets built other than, for example, deciding to let a armor or weapon smith set-up shop, so on and so forth.

Thanks. I don't think I'll bother with the Hans one, by the time it goes on sale I'll probably have moved on. Might get the settlement DLC for €10.

I see Band of Brothers was released just last week, I don't suppose anyone here has played that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How do i get a herbalist to make all the cockerel potions for me? I've got decent rep with most of them from doing quests but have no option for it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hare Hunt is a messed up quest, I don't like how you can only mildly reproach Margaret for basically condemning an innocent man to die. Henry even says, without any prompting on the player's part, that he understands. No, gently caress that.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Jose posted:

How do i get a herbalist to make all the cockerel potions for me? I've got decent rep with most of them from doing quests but have no option for it

That's odd. Maybe you're not talking to the right ones? I think it has to be the old women living alone in the middle of the forest herbalists.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Phlegmish posted:

Hare Hunt is a messed up quest, I don't like how you can only mildly reproach Margaret for basically condemning an innocent man to die. Henry even says, without any prompting on the player's part, that he understands. No, gently caress that.

I don't remember that quest, maybe I missed it. What happens?

e: oh is that the one with the huntmaster who went rambo or w/e

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got this for $27 with From the Ashes and played it for 6 hours straight. AHHHHHH it's so good

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I’m playing this on PS4 till I can afford a better computer, and lockpicking feels like I’m a virgin with Parkinson’s trying to find the g-spot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

That's odd. Maybe you're not talking to the right ones? I think it has to be the old women living alone in the middle of the forest herbalists.

I've tried talking with all of them and got nowhere. There was an option to ask at first but I got told no and given the recipe and it's never come back

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't remember that quest, maybe I missed it. What happens?

e: oh is that the one with the huntmaster who went rambo or w/e

Former huntmaster, and it's more Robin Hood, but yeah. That dude is incredibly magnanimous, if it were me I'd have tried to kill them both.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Having some issues with crashes popping up after the game being mostly crash-free for me so far. My playthrough is at about ~26.5 hours, I'm up to the "Nest of Vipers" main quest but trying to finish up some remaining side quests before proceeding with it. Specifically, I'm trying to go to the Sasau monastery for the "In God's Hands" and "Weeds" side quests. First, game crashed while I was riding through Sasau to get to the monastery. Reloaded, rode a bit further, saved again, rode a bit further, crashed near the same spot (and loading that second save will crash the game mid-loading). I can fast travel to the monastery and walk around there for a bit, but saving in the monastery leads to a mid-loading crash if I load that game. I can talk to Johanka and Brother Nicodemus, but I end up either crashing mid-dialogue, or soon after dialogue while walking around the monastery ground. All the saves I make in or near Sasau/the monastery crash if I load them.

I have previously been to Sasau and the monastery several times, for the "House of God" and "Tricks of the Trade" side quests, which I'd completed without any crashes or issues. Not really sure what's going on here, are my save files corrupted (due to playtime? I'd read people running into issues around the 25 hour mark) or due to quests I've done or what? Anyone run into similar issues or have suggestions? I do have a bunch of backup saves, rather not replay half the game again though.

Edit: Is this stage 2?

Azuren fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 18, 2019

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Azuren posted:

Having some issues with crashes popping up after the game being mostly crash-free for me so far. My playthrough is at about ~26.5 hours, I'm up to the "Nest of Vipers" main quest but trying to finish up some remaining side quests before proceeding with it. Specifically, I'm trying to go to the Sasau monastery for the "In God's Hands" and "Weeds" side quests. First, game crashed while I was riding through Sasau to get to the monastery. Reloaded, rode a bit further, saved again, rode a bit further, crashed near the same spot (and loading that second save will crash the game mid-loading). I can fast travel to the monastery and walk around there for a bit, but saving in the monastery leads to a mid-loading crash if I load that game. I can talk to Johanka and Brother Nicodemus, but I end up either crashing mid-dialogue, or soon after dialogue while walking around the monastery ground. All the saves I make in or near Sasau/the monastery crash if I load them.

I have previously been to Sasau and the monastery several times, for the "House of God" and "Tricks of the Trade" side quests, which I'd completed without any crashes or issues. Not really sure what's going on here, are my save files corrupted (due to playtime? I'd read people running into issues around the 25 hour mark) or due to quests I've done or what? Anyone run into similar issues or have suggestions? I do have a bunch of backup saves, rather not replay half the game again though.

Edit: Is this stage 2?

I've been having similar issues with the new patch. It's also super inconsistent. One bandit camp kept crashing, so I gave up. When I started the game the next day (after turning off the PC), that exact spot was fine.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

After reading a bit on the official forums, seems to be a common problem for lots of people since the newest patch. Appears to possibly be related to the file size of saves? Looking back, mine started out at ~5.5mb and soon after getting up over the 7mb mark the crashes started. Allegedly they're working on a hotfix.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They just pushed out a hotfix about an hour ago for some crashing, including House of God

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve put ~26 hours into this game over the last three weeks. I’m quite surprised about how much I’m enjoying it to be honest.

That Steam guide has been very helpful too so thanks for that Hieronymous Alloy!

I had my first proper battle just using a mace yesterday but it didn’t feel as satisfying as my stabby sword action. Is it quicker to kill them? I figure it must be if even blocked hits give them damage.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve put ~26 hours into this game over the last three weeks. I’m quite surprised about how much I’m enjoying it to be honest.

That Steam guide has been very helpful too so thanks for that Hieronymous Alloy!

I had my first proper battle just using a mace yesterday but it didn’t feel as satisfying as my stabby sword action. Is it quicker to kill them? I figure it must be if even blocked hits give them damage.

It depends on the armor, but in general, yes. If they're wearing mostly cloth pads, they'll have better blunt resistance and worse cutting resistance, but most enemies you'll fight that will give you any kind of trouble will be wearing metal armor, which has better cutting resistance. On top of that, there's this very nice skill you can get which makes it so whacking them on the head with a mace has a chance of knocking them unconscious. Even if you don't have it, repeated blows to the head will very quickly ruin their helmet and cause them to take massive damage, so whack-a-mole'ing your way though enemies becomes very effective.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I do that but mostly I just shoot them in teh eyes now

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone playing this on XBone? I'm getting terrible stuttering and framerate drop and I've literally just started.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

Even if you don't have it, repeated blows to the head will very quickly ruin their helmet and cause them to take massive damage, so whack-a-mole'ing your way though enemies becomes very effective.

Yeah this is the trick here, just clobber their head repeatedly.

Reinstalled this to check out all the updates since release, pleased to see all the positive changes so far. It appears they toned down some of the combat perks, right? I seem to recall one-shotting armored people all the time with longsword masterstrikes before, but that hasn't happened at all this playthrough. In fact all those fights have been rough, I've had to readjust my thinking more than once after diving into 4v1s without a mace on me. Glad to see there's still unintentionally hilarious things happening though. After barreling through the tiny Talmberg gate on my horse one too many times, I hop off in front of Robard only to hear some peasants crying about a dead body. Curious, I walk back to see the hoof trampled corpse of the gate guard surrounded by a mass of curious onlookers wondering who could have possibly done it. Certainly not meeeeee.....

re: fixes, though, did they ever fix the monastery quest so you can complete it as intended or is it still turbofucked?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well the ending was a bit unexpected lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In that you actually reached it without a mission breaking your save beyond repair?

hello it's me, that guy who intends to come back and finish the game but never will

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure I'm in endgame territory now. I'm going to call it now and say Sir Radzig is a traitor who's been working for Sigismund the whole time. I don't have much to base this on other than how he was able to escape to easily from Skalitz, but he has a super suspicious face and I 100% expect the game to pull some Darth Vader poo poo. If my hunch is wrong it'll be embarrassing for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

e: the dude got 'captured' now, obviously a set-up

e2: it would also explain Zbyshek conveniently freeing me after I got captured by Toth

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 24, 2019

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I am dumb and gay, yada yada yada, what the gently caress does tiredness potion even do? -20 energy or something so I can sleep longer? Same question only every other vaguely described potion. I just want to eat poppeys and chilllllllllllllll

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I am dumb and gay, yada yada yada, what the gently caress does tiredness potion even do? -20 energy or something so I can sleep longer? Same question only every other vaguely described potion. I just want to eat poppeys and chilllllllllllllll

I think it's meant as a drug that you slip into food to cause camps to fall asleep.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Put it in the cooking pot... :ssh:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Finished the game! Ending went in a much different direction than I expected. The "vengeance" quest not going anywhere was an interesting touch. Big bad foozle gets away with the sword, your REAL DAD reminds you that there's more important things than revenge, like being alive, and friends, and swords are just things. You never even see the bald guy again except for that one cutscene in the prologue. Epilogue seemed a bit politics-heavy, like they're setting it up for a direct sequel, but not really sure how well that would word. I think doing a new story in a new region (of Bohemia) would be better.

Looking forward to whatever the devs put out next, I think their next game will be really good. I think I'll replay this late this year when I build a better computer, def as a chaotic good Robin Hood type bard/archer/rogue. I played this as a stuffy lawful good paladin type and it was definitely challenging. Like lying to your mom in the first 5 seconds of the game, or being forced to punch Karl's guardian in the face to steal the papers to get into the monastery or likewise being forced to rob and lie to the master builder to get the services of the siege engineer. At least I tipped him as much as I could when I repaid him the gold I stole while choking him out in his own bed at night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Azuren posted:

Finished the game! Ending went in a much different direction than I expected. The "vengeance" quest not going anywhere was an interesting touch. Big bad foozle gets away with the sword, your REAL DAD reminds you that there's more important things than revenge, like being alive, and friends, and swords are just things. You never even see the bald guy again except for that one cutscene in the prologue. Epilogue seemed a bit politics-heavy, like they're setting it up for a direct sequel, but not really sure how well that would word. I think doing a new story in a new region (of Bohemia) would be better.

Looking forward to whatever the devs put out next, I think their next game will be really good. I think I'll replay this late this year when I build a better computer, def as a chaotic good Robin Hood type bard/archer/rogue. I played this as a stuffy lawful good paladin type and it was definitely challenging. Like lying to your mom in the first 5 seconds of the game, or being forced to punch Karl's guardian in the face to steal the papers to get into the monastery or likewise being forced to rob and lie to the master builder to get the services of the siege engineer. At least I tipped him as much as I could when I repaid him the gold I stole while choking him out in his own bed at night!

They are setting it up for a direct sequel - this was the first game of a planned trilogy.