Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not sure if that is public information able to be requested under FOIA. I'm also not an attorney so I don't know how that process looks like. The drafting process is pretty iterative, where you'll send in an idea or sentence that says: "I want Railroad Commission to be in charge of extraterrestrial activities", and then Texas Legislative Council keeps calling you to try to work out verbally what the hell you're on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^
It would be TPIA for those requests which is a generally broader statute. The correspondence between the leg office and TLC can most likely be requested so long as the TLC does not claim to be the attorney of the state where the process is covered by the work product privilege.

TropicalCoke posted:

Or you can ask in this thread which is full of people who actually do keep an eye on these things. Most Bill's are under 5 pages. And it's legal style double spaced so it's a pretty short read. I will say, the captions for bills are easily confusing or deceiving.

I had to review and summarize a 15 page bill today and it was excruciating and took forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Doesn't TLC also write the actual bills? Like Rep. Dumbshit from Exurbia, TX calls them up and says "I want a bill that bans gay orgies in public schools" and they find the relevant part of the law where that would be put in and write a bill that references appropriate sections etc.

Yeah. They work a little closer with staff and members than that but they employ like a million lawyers.

Badger of Basra posted:

I wonder if you could get the actual text of the request they received. Would those be public records?

Dunno

Also re: Wendy Davis
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/930173084199464960

God I hope this movie never gets made

TropicalCoke posted:

Is it every bill? I thought it was bills that get out of committee and back onto the floor. But I'm new to this process. Seriously. The people who actually draft the bills for legislative teams are the only people in the Capitol that do work outside the custodians and handymen.

E: yeah badger that's exactly how it works.

I dunno if it's every bill that gets referred but they definitely have BAs ready to go in committee. SB 10 passed out of Senate HHS today and I just looked and it's got one.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

^^
It would be TPIA for those requests which is a generally broader statute. The correspondence between the leg office and TLC can most likely be requested so long as the TLC does not claim to be the attorney of the state where the process is covered by the work product privilege.

I had to review and summarize a 15 page bill today and it was excruciating and took forever.

Did a basic google and it turns out none of it is public! https://tlc.texas.gov/confidentiality

TLC will not say what's been requested, who requested it, or what any of the drafts looked like.

This whole process feels like cheating. Does Congress have something like this where other people write the laws and they just vote on them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Did a basic google and it turns out none of it is public! https://tlc.texas.gov/confidentiality

TLC will not say what's been requested, who requested it, or what any of the drafts looked like.

This whole process feels like cheating. Does Congress have something like this where other people write the laws and they just vote on them?

Yeah the Office of Legislative Council. You think Louie Gohmert has the wherewithal to write even a post office naming bill?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Yeah. They work a little closer with staff and members than that but they employ like a million lawyers.

Dunno

I dunno if it's every bill that gets referred but they definitely have BAs ready to go in committee. SB 10 passed out of Senate HHS today and I just looked and it's got one.

To add to how excruciatingly bad it looks (the Benghazi movie for libs), wasn't it actually Van de Putte who had the line about being recognized over her male colleagues?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh yes, that was such a cheap pop. If any woman in the Senate has a claim to not having her voice heard, Leticia Van de Putte ain't her

Also VDP now runs a *bipartisan* political consulting firm with former Republican SoS Hope Andrade, if anyone was thinking about sticking up for her.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 13, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I forgot there was an election tonight and hope that incompetence of the Texas Democratic Party does not lose us a seat in the house. Looks like the R will make the runoff

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1095489576146219013

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Glad there's a fellow nerd following this. Repeat of SD19 incoming?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

Glad there's a fellow nerd following this. Repeat of SD19 incoming?

I hope not - the other specials since SD 19 (SD 6 and HD 145) have had better results. I also think this HD is the most D part of SD 19, they just didn't turn out in enough numbers for Gallego.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Headed to an R v D runoff in West SA - please do not poo poo yourself TDP

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1095513187892506624

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They hosed up

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1095487999658377221

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scott Braddock hears a lot of stuff. He heard that Empower Texas had their press creds revoked unanimously but they didn't. He said that Patrick was going to move the blocker bills to bring up SB2, but he can't do that because they aren't emergency issues. So Scott Braddock is on my grain of salt list.

Lol I hadn't even heard about this. Carlos Uresti just got five more years for a bribery charge unrelated to the Four Winds poo poo. He bribed a county judge over a medical contract. This dude is a straight up crook.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 13, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

Texas Politics: What? It's a Folksy Expression

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bonnen just out here being a weirdo today

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1095784851582660623?s=21

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1095789650000728064?s=21

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamesrhenson/status/1095828401091497984?s=21

Please god

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1095836535763685376

The chair of Agriculture and Livestock thinks he's writing the loving property tax relief bill. Also this proposal was included in the Texas School Finance Commission report but was explictly not in the "recommended" section. And that was on services like, legal, accounting and PR, poo poo that rich people use mostly.

I remember a Senate Ed meeting last year where Don Huffines proposed expanding sales taxes to pay down property taxes and Larry Taylor was just like "we looked at it and, no". Huberty's gonna be even less receptive, as will Zerwas.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Beto please we want you to be good again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1095860007135035392?s=12

That’ll be the day

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Good, maybe he’ll lose by more this time

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

He's running for Pres, how will this overlap? If he doesn't jump in I hope someone handicaps Castro's odds.

I dont know when TX Sen. goes purple, maybe 2024 w/ a Davis run?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

I dont know when TX Sen. goes purple, maybe 2024 w/ a Davis run?

Maybe. You’re talking about Jefferson Davis?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Davis is a garbage tier campaigner and needs to stay far away ftom important state wide races.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

General Dog posted:

Maybe. You’re talking about Jefferson Davis?

Former TX Gubernatorial candidate Wendy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Former TX Gubernatorial candidate Wendy.

I’m pretty sure she’s deceased

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
it says something bout the castro twins that not even this thread can tell em apart

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's running for Pres

Lol

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Honestly, it's not that bad. Most bills are one or two-pagers at most. It gets really weird/hairy when they're replacing large blocks and adding stuff in the middle and ... it can be daunting, but a cursory look at things is pretty quick (I just searched "SB 476" on the state gov site and I assume zoux did too, e: oh yeah the link is right in the post).

It's definitely worth it when it seems like it could be nefarious stuff or it has a stupid name that doesn't say what the bill does. Unfortunately sometimes they do make things intentionally obtuse in the bill so that casual inspection doesn't reveal how odious it is.

I don't know, man. My literal full-time job requires me to follow legislation around a specific issue area as part of advocacy, and with 100+ bills coming out a day some days it's really hard to track, and some of them are confusing as hell. You have to train your brain to read some of them and be patient.

I've interned at the legislature though, and the process for submitting a draft request felt too easy during the interim. Like, you really could just send a sentence or a news article and expect them to figure it out (didn't do that myself). That said, you would still have a lot of questions, they might not capture what you're going for, and it will take them so much more time to get it back to you. As an advocate during session at this moment though, I pretty much have to show up with a draft of bill language already in hand for an office to even consider my idea.

On that note, this Friday is the deadline to get anything submitted to that legislative council, so make your demands now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What specific issue is generating 100 bills per day

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

What specific issue is generating 100 bills per day

I meant overall bills to filter through. We had 99 bills come out today, 182 yesterday.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i literally laughed out loud at the thought of wendy davis 2024.

like, drat, just imagine it lol

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
If Beto does run again for senate, a lot of people are going to feel pretty silly for having thrown out their signs.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sardonik posted:

If Beto does run again for senate, a lot of people are going to feel pretty silly for having thrown out their signs.

I had a baby born in July and we got 4 vote Beto onesies as gifts. What am I going to do when he is 2 for the 2020 election?

How can I show the world that my kid will be the subject of future "my toddler asked me..." series of Facebook posts showing that I am actually woke as gently caress and so are my kids.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1096043836785258496

The momentum in both houses right now is for significant reform of the cash bail system in the state, so I doubt this bill has much of a chance.

Zedler is the VP of the House Freedom Caucus and a total nutjob. When the Medical Board was in front of Sunset a few years ago he brought in a ton of alt-medicine crackpots to testify it should be abolished. He also looks like if Dracula was a televangelist.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

I had a baby born in July and we got 4 vote Beto onesies as gifts. What am I going to do when he is 2 for the 2020 election?

How can I show the world that my kid will be the subject of future "my toddler asked me..." series of Facebook posts showing that I am actually woke as gently caress and so are my kids.

I just hope my grandpa can live to see Texas elect a handsome man to the Senate.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I don't know, man. My literal full-time job requires me to follow legislation around a specific issue area as part of advocacy, and with 100+ bills coming out a day some days it's really hard to track, and some of them are confusing as hell. You have to train your brain to read some of them and be patient.

Oh yeah, obviously nobody even your reps/senators can follow all bills. But once the #txlege people notify you of the interesting bills, you can inform yourself with not-too-onerous levels of effort by just reading the bills in a lot of cases.

He's running for Pres
zoux gave the right answer but also YA GOT GOT BY THE TWINS BABY Julian is running for Pres

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Oh yeah, obviously nobody even your reps/senators can follow all bills. But once the #txlege people notify you of the interesting bills, you can inform yourself with not-too-onerous levels of effort by just reading the bills in a lot of cases.

zoux gave the right answer but also YA GOT GOT BY THE TWINS BABY Julian is running for Pres

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/5045/Will-Beto-O%27Rourke-file-to-run-for-president-by-10-31-19

Currently at 68% Yes B.O.R files to run for the Presidency.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Looks like Seliger has officially come out against the tax bill

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where you seeing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Where you seeing that

Evan Smith's liberal rag

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1096239426085228545

quote:

Seliger is drafting a measure that would instead cap appraisal values, which form the basis for how much property owners pay in taxes.

This sounds like prop 13