Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Wrar posted:

Any recommendations for garage flooring? I'm looking at epoxy and polyurea solutions for the brand new house I'm closing on next month, but I'm open to other options.

The Obsessed Garage dude on YouTube swears by SwissTrakcs(x?). Seem pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Wrar posted:

Any recommendations for garage flooring? I'm looking at epoxy and polyurea solutions for the brand new house I'm closing on next month, but I'm open to other options.

I used the Armorpoxy SPGX in our new build. They recommended an acid etch and minimum 30 days after pour. After almost 5 months, I'm still amazingly happy with it. It's been durable, easy to clean, and looks great.

You can do a color coat/clear coat, but I did just two coats of color with the antislip additive in the second coat. It's a little slick with snow packed in your boots, but water isn't a bother at all.

I did the Rock Solid polyurea at our old house with the flakes, and I've helped my dad do a few of the Rustoleum epoxy floors. The SPGX is much thicker and a little tougher to apply, but has so far been way more durable than either of the other two systems.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PitViper posted:

I used the Armorpoxy SPGX in our new build. They recommended an acid etch and minimum 30 days after pour. After almost 5 months, I'm still amazingly happy with it. It's been durable, easy to clean, and looks great.

You can do a color coat/clear coat, but I did just two coats of color with the antislip additive in the second coat. It's a little slick with snow packed in your boots, but water isn't a bother at all.

I did the Rock Solid polyurea at our old house with the flakes, and I've helped my dad do a few of the Rustoleum epoxy floors. The SPGX is much thicker and a little tougher to apply, but has so far been way more durable than either of the other two systems.
The concrete was poured a few months ago, so I'm good on that front.

Snow isn't a huge concern in central NC but it does get pretty wet. We just had our wettest year on record. I'll definitely want some anti-slip. I don't have any coating in the current garage and it's crap. I was planning on renting a concrete grinder to get the best adhesion possible after doing some research on All Garage Floors.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, getting a slightly rougher surface profile will help with the adhesion for sure. The rougher surface will make application a little more difficult, and coverage a little less. I ended up using just under 5 gallons for 2 coats.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Wrar posted:

The concrete was poured a few months ago, so I'm good on that front.

Snow isn't a huge concern in central NC but it does get pretty wet. We just had our wettest year on record. I'll definitely want some anti-slip. I don't have any coating in the current garage and it's crap. I was planning on renting a concrete grinder to get the best adhesion possible after doing some research on All Garage Floors.

I did Armorpoxy in Durham. The anti-slip stuff in the top coat and the chips make it very good.

The non-epoxy top coat is not friends with brake fluid though :/

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am currently happy to have room to walk around the project in the garage. I am trying to get this place (condo with 1 car garage under) ready to sell. My hope is to find a place with a nice garage/workshop area.

Does anyone have tips on how to get a real estate agent to hone in on the homes with usable garage workshop space? When I was doing some recon online I found a few houses that have sizeable detached garages, but they've all disappeared.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Powers posted:

I am currently happy to have room to walk around the project in the garage. I am trying to get this place (condo with 1 car garage under) ready to sell. My hope is to find a place with a nice garage/workshop area.

Does anyone have tips on how to get a real estate agent to hone in on the homes with usable garage workshop space? When I was doing some recon online I found a few houses that have sizeable detached garages, but they've all disappeared.

Garages are almost always overlooked in house listings. When I moved, I made sure the realtor knew that I needed at least a 3 bay garage. That eliminated a lot of houses, but at least it was an easily identifiable metric. My brother just bought a house with a 2-car door, but it had about 3 feet extra on one side and 4 feet extra on the other side. That was a super-nice surprise that wasn't anywhere on the listing.

My wife thinks that nobody notices garage space and I maintain that our garage will be a selling feature with 16' of floor-to-ceiling 2' deep shelving and 30' of slatwall. She'll see. :colbert:

Basically, good luck because garages are neglected in real estate listings. Even outbuildings barely get a mention... and I've seen a nice property with 20x30 shops with a lift listed as "nice big outdoor shed" :rolleyes:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm having the same problem. I'm not moving to a house without being able to have a decent garage. It's pretty much the only reason for be to have a house over an apartment. I want to be able to future proof my commute for when electric cars aren't stupid expensive anymore, as well as being able to work on classic cars, do detailing and general maintenance on my cars. 2+ car garages are very, very rare here, but a 1 car garage with good room is doable to be able to get.

It's going to take a while to find though...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Same thing here. I want to build a garage, basically as insulated as a house, heated etc. people keep referring to it as “the carport.”

It seems to have been a thing for 60s vintage houses but then of course it usually has the insulation and space of a 20’ container...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Basically, good luck because garages are neglected in real estate listings. Even outbuildings barely get a mention... and I've seen a nice property with 20x30 shops with a lift listed as "nice big outdoor shed" :rolleyes:

This is absolutely the case. My property had a 40x60 metal building and there was one picture, zoomed in from I'm guessing the house cause they couldn't be arsed to walk over there. Listing had lots of pictures of the terrible dated and worn house interior which was a foreclosure and looked it. Our gain, fortunately.

When we listed my wife's house, I had completely remodeled the (stick built) 8x8 shed. Built a new ramp, installed new floor, painted and trimmed the outside so it looked real sharp. Installed a new light and receptacles inside. Got one crappy picture in the listing and dunno if even a mention in the description. House got a full price offer in 5 days tho.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mr. Powers posted:

Work with your realtor, tell him/her you are not going to look at any houses with less than 3/4/5 car garage or detached garage or whatever you want. If they bring you to something that doesn't meet that requirement don't step foot in the door and tell them to not waste your time. Eventually they'll get a clue, if not fire them and get a better one.

We bought last year, told the realtor no houses with less than 1k sqft garage. She emailed us a couple that were close ~750-850 to see if that would work. We said no so she only showed us houses with garage space. Detached garages are very rare, for what we wanted to spend, down here so we ended up buying something with an unfinished basement and knocking out a chunk of the wall to the garage. In the 6 months we looked only two with detached garages popped up, both houses were garbage.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

FatCow posted:

I did Armorpoxy in Durham. The anti-slip stuff in the top coat and the chips make it very good.

The non-epoxy top coat is not friends with brake fluid though :/

This. Polyurea resists a lot of oils/dirt/etc. It does NOT care for brake fluid. Even wiping up a small spill I can feel the surface get a little sticky. Brake cleaner as well to an extent, but it flashes off fast enough that it doesn't seem to harm the surface at all. Unless you leave a rag covering it for a few minutes, then you've got a good chance of pulling a little bit of the coating off with the rag.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Work with your realtor, tell him/her you are not going to look at any houses with less than 3/4/5 car garage or detached garage or whatever you want. If they bring you to something that doesn't meet that requirement don't step foot in the door and tell them to not waste your time. Eventually they'll get a clue, if not fire them and get a better one.

We bought last year, told the realtor no houses with less than 1k sqft garage. She emailed us a couple that were close ~750-850 to see if that would work. We said no so she only showed us houses with garage space. Detached garages are very rare, for what we wanted to spend, down here so we ended up buying something with an unfinished basement and knocking out a chunk of the wall to the garage. In the 6 months we looked only two with detached garages popped up, both houses were garbage.

Maybe detached garages are more popular here because of the house style? They're not on the newer ones, but going back to like the 60's and 70's it seems a lot of the houses were garageless, and so they have had detached built.

That's another option: a good house with 1-2 car attached but room to add an outbuilding. It would have to be a good house for a low price, though.

I really should use this to motivate me to get more cleaning done at home so I can list, but alas, I'm enjoying my time off, and I'll have to try to get back in that habit after work tomorrow

E: lots of converted barns, too.

carticket fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 10, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

angryrobots posted:

This is absolutely the case. My property had a 40x60 metal building and there was one picture, zoomed in from I'm guessing the house cause they couldn't be arsed to walk over there. Listing had lots of pictures of the terrible dated and worn house interior which was a foreclosure and looked it. Our gain, fortunately.
That's interesting. Up here in the frozen north a garage of note s often mentioned before even talking about the house.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It frustrates me to no end that MLS listings and zillow both say how many garage spaces the house has, but has no filter or way to search for it effectively.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Or when they call a carport/parking pad/bit of dirt out back you could maybe park on a "garage"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Suburban Dad posted:

It frustrates me to no end that MLS listings and zillow both say how many garage spaces the house has, but has no filter or way to search for it effectively.

Realtor.com has it as a searchable item. It's still not that useful. I have seen houses that list it having a garage with a capacity of yes cars, and yes is greater than two. Sometimes people will list parking spots are garage spaces, too. I have one property near me that shows up and it doesn't have anything except room to build a garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Redfin.com lets you specify minimum parking spaces and must have garage, it'll get rid of a good chunk of the carport listings.

House chat....more specifically garage smells in house chat. Looking for ideas for reducing the smells that make it upstairs. Spilled a little old gas in the unfinished side of the garage last weekend and even though I immediately cleaned it up and put fans blowing out the air the upstairs still stunk pretty bad. I try to do anything that's likely to cause odors in the garage side with the door wide open but poo poo happens. Jacked up a car with a overfull tank of gas at too much of an angle and it spilled a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our realtor was able to filter all the listings for us in their database and send us just the listings that checked our boxes.

And then we found the house ourselves at random since nothing we looked at worked for us.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Realtors have way more options for searching than us plebes for MLS.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

slidebite posted:

Realtors have way more options for searching than us plebes for MLS.

I bet their search options still turn up properties that have garage: yes cars, though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I hate that there are never any pictures of the inside of said garage (if they even mention it).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I hate that there are never any pictures of the inside of said garage (if they even mention it).

There was one near me that did actually have pictures. It mysteriously went off the market, and once I sell I might send a letter and ask if they're still looking to sell. It had two bays, with one being an oversized RV door, the other normal sized with a two post lift, and could fit six cars inside. It was also a small house and basically what I wanted in the right price range.

Alas, I am still not ready to list my condo, and as I mentioned, it mysteriously went off market.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A small, semi modern house with anything larger than a double (actuality a glorified single) garage is a proverbial unicorn in our area at least. When we were shopping I wanted a triple and that automatically put us into an "upper echelon" of home sizes/areas that we didn't necessarily want.

End of the day, we ended up with about as small of a house as we reasonably could with a triple, but it's still about 300 sq/ft larger than our old house which was already larger than we needed for just the two of us.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

House chat....more specifically garage smells in house chat. Looking for ideas for reducing the smells that make it upstairs. Spilled a little old gas in the unfinished side of the garage last weekend and even though I immediately cleaned it up and put fans blowing out the air the upstairs still stunk pretty bad. I try to do anything that's likely to cause odors in the garage side with the door wide open but poo poo happens. Jacked up a car with a overfull tank of gas at too much of an angle and it spilled a bit.

Is the garage space sealed up well? What kind of wall/ceiling covering do you have?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think my wife and I looked at 50+ houses before we settled on new construction with what amounts to a "3" (2.5) car garage. It's on enough land to put a shop in the back later if I want.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Actually, that's a good points. There's a pretty diverse group here, and I know costs will vary a lot, but I can probably get a rough order of magnitude.

If you constructed a garage, how big, what features do you have, and approximately how much did it cost?

Someone suggested a metal garage to me, but I can't get a lot of info without a property for siting it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

24ftx24ft, 10ft ceilings, asphalt shingle roof, vinyl siding, storage trusses. Ground wasn't flat so a decent bit of concrete and gravel plus a ramp.

~$27K (actual permitted work and all that jazz)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The main street of pur neighborhood is full of houses with 3+ car garages. It's very weird and abruptly ends when you turn into the rest of the neighborhood.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

A house near my sister's house has an attached three car garage, an attached two car garage, and an attached one car garage. It is super confusing.

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

entry level garage owner, checking in. what's the word on openers? word amongst some insiders is that it's Chamberlain or bust but I wanted to come right to the source

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ours have always been Chamberlain made and very reliable, but I strongly recommend the extra small bit of $$ for belt driven. Especially if you have living space above it. Much less vibration and quieter than roller chain. My office is above our garage and I don't even hear/feel it 75% of the time.

Very common now, but make sure you get the kind that has the programming and stuff on the wall mount buttons. Otherwise you need to be on a ladder if you need to reprogram a controller. Doesn't really happen terribly often, but it's handy having it all at ground level.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
previous owner put a new liftmaster garage door opener and it so loving quiet and smooth and even has stupid poo poo like an app so i can open with my phone if i want.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got the kind that mounts right to the shaft to save some overheard space as it's a small garage. Otherwise belt-driven is the way to go for quietness.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Is the garage space sealed up well? What kind of wall/ceiling covering do you have?
It isn't. Walls are painted block, ceilings are open framing. It's very 'unfinished' in that regard...as well as the lighting/electrical I have yet to find time to install in the back half.

BraveUlysses posted:

previous owner put a new liftmaster garage door opener and it so loving quiet and smooth and even has stupid poo poo like an app so i can open with my phone if i want.
I put a liftmaster wall mount that connects directly to the shaft at the last place. Was stupid quiet and cleared up a ton of space. May do the same here since my ceilings are even lower now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

A house near my sister's house has an attached three car garage, an attached two car garage, and an attached one car garage. It is super confusing.

A lot of the "high end" houses here have that kind of poo poo. a 3 car garage at the front for cars and a 1 car garage at the back for atvs and snowmobiles and poo poo.

There's a guy just outside of town who has what is basically just a 6 car garage with a bungalow on top, he's my hero.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

It isn't. Walls are painted block, ceilings are open framing. It's very 'unfinished' in that regard...as well as the lighting/electrical I have yet to find time to install in the back half.

From a safety perspective, that's an issue even if you're not doing auto work in the garage. A modern build would sheetrock the walls and ceilings, giving air sealing properties as well as fire resistance.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I opened a dialogue with a realtor to sell my condo. Taking the first steps towards having room where it counts! (I have a room and loft in my condo that I don't use, and not enough space in garage)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Smells are the reason when we looked for a house we required something that could have a detached garage. Ended up having to attach it in the most 'game the city zoning laws way' as possible. I cracked open a blown motor once in our last house. The whole place stunk like burnt oil for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

slam flanders posted:

entry level garage owner, checking in. what's the word on openers? word amongst some insiders is that it's Chamberlain or bust but I wanted to come right to the source

We like Overhead Door openers. Our previous house had one that was installed in the early 90s and worked great until it died and we just replaced it with the modern version of the same one.

Our current place has a Craftsman and I’d not recommend it. It’s loud, it’s slow and it hangs down pretty far.