Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was a solid last 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frond posted:

That was a solid last 20.

Hell yeah

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:same:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hell of a race there
Best of all is no Whincup on the podium

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/Bathurst12hour/status/1091949103569723393

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/IntercontGTC/status/1091969626278264865

Porsche win stays.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Hell of a race there
Best of all is no Whincup on the podium

It's always a good race when there's no Whingecup podium

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

motorsport.com posted:

Andy Soucek admits he accidentally pressed the kill switch twice on the #108 Bentley Continental leaving pitlane during the Bathurst 12 Hour, ultimately costing the M-Sport squad a shot at victory.

I was sure no one could do that twice and it must have been a bizarre electrical gremlin. Nope!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Imperatori is a loving idiot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Great news, sounds like at least one team is committed to the WEC next year

Toyota Gazoo Racing via their Website posted:

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will compete in the 2019-2020 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) season, it was confirmed today.

The team will enter two of its hybrid-powered TS050 HYBRID race cars into all eight rounds, beginning on 1 September 2019 with the 4 Hours of Silverstone and concluding with the Le Mans 24 Hours on 13-14 June 2020.

The driver line-up for the 2019-2020 season will be announced at a later date.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is currently leading both the drivers’ and teams’ World Championships following five of eight rounds in the 2018-2019 WEC season. It aims to extend that advantage in the next round, the 1000 Miles of Sebring on 15 March.

there's also news from Toyota in Japan today about their Super GT driver lineups, Nissan is expected to follow with their's tomorrow. I'll wait until both are out there to put together a consolidated list.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

isn't that kind of the worst case scenario? another meaningless year of Toyota and nobody else? at least if Toyota pulled out, the WEC would have to admit they hosed up and elevate a lower class or something.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

isn't that kind of the worst case scenario? another meaningless year of Toyota and nobody else? at least if Toyota pulled out, the WEC would have to admit they hosed up and elevate a lower class or something.

Not necessarily.
It's a wasted year because the privateers know they're about to get screwed by the oncoming GTP regulations, but the ACO can put in place more aggressive regs designed to curb the Toyota a little more and increase the performance of the LMP1s, something they couldn't do this year because Porsche pulled out so late that Toyota had a full veto (or Porsche pulled out so late that by the time the ACO had decided what it was going to do it was too late and Toyota had a full veto).

If Toyota is sticking around, then I'm guessing they've probably got a deal with the ACO in place as to exactly what the ACO will do for the next season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

youve got way more faith in them giving a solitary gently caress about privateers than i do

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

youve got way more faith in them giving a solitary gently caress about privateers than i do

The 19/20 season was always going to be a real lame duck season between rule announcements and implementation, and while it might be processional to confirm Toyota’s back, it’s still a good result and confirmation.

And yes, it’s more likely the privateer teams will get a boost next year. They need the privateers. They always do.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ByKolles appear to have decided that what their problem really is, is their Nissan engines. Because you know, Nissan don't have a track record of LMP success or anything.

Strangely Nissan haven't taken too kindly to this, especially as Kolles appears to have neglected to pay them.

Long story short, don't expect to see them at Sebring and when they rock up at the next round expect to see a different engine in the back of a car going exactly the same speed as it did when it had a Nissan. Or when it had an AER. Or when it (briefly) had an Audi V8 in the back.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dudley posted:

Long story short, don't expect to see them at Sebring and when they rock up at the next round expect to see a different engine in the back of a car going exactly the same speed as it did when it had a Nissan. Or when it had an AER. Or when it (briefly) had an Audi V8 in the back.

they could show up without an engine and go the same speed tbh

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Patron Nissan DPi won Sebring last year too which is extra lol.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Fauxhawk Express posted:

they could show up without an engine and go the same speed tbh

And still catch on fire

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I'm amazed ByKolles has lasted this long considering Kolles' record for running teams into the ground.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

The Patron Nissan DPi won Sebring last year too which is extra lol.

they're not the same engine -- the DPi team uses a GT-R GT3 engine, while I believe the Nissan in the ByKolles is the Cosworth engine developed for the front-wheel-drive GT-R LM, which is a purpose-built and designed engine. So it might be a problem (since I doubt Cosworth would be doing much development out of their own pocket and when I think "ByKolles" the word that doesn't come to mind is "budget,") but it's more likely that they just have a really bad cooling design.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And to be fair it's not like top speed was that car's problem.

Just literally everything else.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://racer.com/2019/02/10/first-privately-entered-ford-gt-tipped-for-le-mans/

A Privateer Ford GT is racing in GT Am at Le Mans. Hopefully we get more of them after that since Ford is ending the factory team after this upcoming season.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
That's really cool but there's no way that Ecoboost 3.5 isn't going to live on in a DPi car, though

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

And to be fair it's not like top speed was that car's problem.

Just literally everything else.

top speed would've been fine but I don't think they ever got the hybrid system working, so it was ~500hp versus double that for the other LMP1 cars of the time. That, plus the whole thing being a bit undercooked as a whole, they never got the development chance they needed.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Hey Formula E is in Mexico City this Saturday, Here's the schedule, times are EST (GMT-5), track is in CST

US broadcast is on FS2, Quali is taped delayed to end right before the race broadcast starts, or you can watch it when it happens with some creative VPN usage.

Also showing the single support race and quali, the Jaguar I-PACE eTrophy. Should be broadcast openly on Facebook, but I haven't confirmed that.

e:

here's links for the quali and race stream, these have geoblocks, the race moreso than quali. Friday Shakedown, FP1 and FP2 will also be available on the same youtube page.
https://youtu.be/AZARFO6qcGs
https://youtu.be/H8DoXCEGs

e2:

Here's a playlist with all 3 races so far:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiSlrzIEN5WJEbJIdK3jDxcX2ka7qZHH8

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Diecast chat!

I'm still trying to figure out who Matell hired that is an IMSA/WSC fanboy.

It's rather stunning, yet awesome I've found several versions of the Porsche 962 (Momo-Gebhart, Taisen) . Porsche 917 H (Gulf livery driven by Pedro Rodriguez, Jackie Oliver), Mazda 787, COPO Corvette, and Shelby Dodge Daytona all being sold at the local wal-mart.

They've apparently re-released the "Snake" and "Moongoose" cars to boot apparently, but I've yet to stumble upon them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

They've apparently re-released the "Snake" and "Moongoose" cars to boot apparently, but I've yet to stumble upon them.

I saw 1/64s of each plus a tow vehicle as part of a bigger collection, hopefully still available and what you’d be looking for.

In January I went to Tokyo Auto Salon and picked up a few different ones, a group of three of the recent 1/64 LMP1s (including that Nissan GT-R LM in throwback livery) and also the Le Mans-winning McLaren F1. I was pointing out the different die cast shops there to my wife and said “I like to look around but will only buy something I really want,” and walk immediately up to find it :haw:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I saw 1/64s of each plus a tow vehicle as part of a bigger collection, hopefully still available and what you’d be looking for.

In January I went to Tokyo Auto Salon and picked up a few different ones, a group of three of the recent 1/64 LMP1s (including that Nissan GT-R LM in throwback livery) and also the Le Mans-winning McLaren F1. I was pointing out the different die cast shops there to my wife and said “I like to look around but will only buy something I really want,” and walk immediately up to find it :haw:

Yeah that's the set. I love the backstory of those cars and the set itself.

They had a Nissan Laurel 2000 SGX in race trim but I don't know if there was ever a car used in competition. (Bought it anyway. It's a beautiful looking car)

I get paranoid not buying such things at the time because it can be very fickle thing. F1 had a line with them during the early 2000s. I balked....now the cars are worth like 20-30 bucks on ebay.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 14, 2019

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

And we don't have pics why? :)

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Sweden is on. The only propper winter rally on the calendar and IMO one of the top 3 events of the year. Super fast and spectacular. Me and my brother are going to watch it in person on Saturday and Sunday. It's my first live rally and I'm pretty drat stoked.

https://plus.wrc.com

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/live/AP-1XV2K5W2W1W11/fia-world-rally-championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9x7TEavZ0E

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FuzzySkinner posted:

Diecast chat!

I'm still trying to figure out who Matell hired that is an IMSA/WSC fanboy.

It's rather stunning, yet awesome I've found several versions of the Porsche 962 (Momo-Gebhart, Taisen) . Porsche 917 H (Gulf livery driven by Pedro Rodriguez, Jackie Oliver), Mazda 787, COPO Corvette, and Shelby Dodge Daytona all being sold at the local wal-mart.

I started collecting again in december and I'm really liking the racecars hw is putting out, especially in their premium lines:

Future releases look really promising, too:

FuzzySkinner posted:

I get paranoid not buying such things at the time because it can be very fickle thing. F1 had a line with them during the early 2000s. I balked....now the cars are worth like 20-30 bucks on ebay.
My golden rules still are 1) buy what you can afford and 2) buy what you like

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Coaaab posted:

I started collecting again in december and I'm really liking the racecars hw is putting out, especially in their premium lines:

Future releases look really promising, too:

My golden rules still are 1) buy what you can afford and 2) buy what you like

I have a quite few of those.

I even have the first attempts at the Ford GT that was released 1-2 years a go. Was blown away.

Underrated one (and unsure if you have it?)? The Cadillac ATS-V R. Looks nearly identical to the one used in PWC until very recently. Kinda bummed they released it well after they left that series though :(.

Yeah. I'm half-picky on those sort of things. I've been really splurging on the sports car related ones as of late. Those two series you posted look fantastic.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/02/15/bykolles-switch-to-gibson-power-for-lmp1-programme.html

ByKolles switch to Gibson power

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Humbug posted:

Rally Sweden is on. The only propper winter rally on the calendar and IMO one of the top 3 events of the year. Super fast and spectacular. Me and my brother are going to watch it in person on Saturday and Sunday. It's my first live rally and I'm pretty drat stoked.

https://plus.wrc.com

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/live/AP-1XV2K5W2W1W11/fia-world-rally-championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9x7TEavZ0E

This has been awesome so far. Hope you enjoy and please review the live rally experience I'm very interested in how it is.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I tend to not get the premium hot wheels but that future lineup looks loving sick

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

they've clearly got a multi-season goal to blow up one of each kind, like a bad stamp card or the world's most expensive bingo game. Part of discussion on Pruett and Goodwin's podcast this week was which engine they might switch to, and it seemed like AER would be the smart choice since they've had experience bolting those engines in before.

ah well good luck have spares, see you at Spa you crazy secretive Austrian outfit. Lord knows what crimes the racing team covers up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My money is on some form of human trafficking.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So they're switching from Nissan to an engine that spent much of its life badged as a Nissan?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Kilonum posted:

My money is on some form of human trafficking.

Never attribute to malice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Not much left of Piquet's car :stare: