Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Baronjutter posted:

Because I've been stressed and depressed lately and taking it out by writing overly negative internet posts about video games :(

I will fix robot production just for you then :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Darkrenown posted:

Hey while we've got your attention, fix autobuild.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hey Darkreknown we noticed in our last sat game that mega corps that are tributaries can’t open branches in their overlords planets because they can’t sign commercial pacts with their overlord. Is that something that could be fixed?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm seeing some pretty severe slowdown start to happen (2.2.5) in a medium galaxy around 2400 and the dreaded stutter on the month end. I have a Ryzen 2600/Rx580 so it's not like i'm on some obsolete machine. It's oddly variable with fastest sometime being around than 1 day/second but sometimes maybe 1-2 day/second but honestly it makes the whole thing a drag and is quite frustrating.

Still I am having fun, hows MP? Do I need to pick up Megacorp to play it with people?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Only the host needs DLCs in multiplayer, though you still won't get poo poo like extra soundtrack/voice options if you don't have a dlc.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ZypherIM posted:

? https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Buildings#Army

They provide as much housing as they do soldier jobs. 1 job 1 housing for the stronghold, 3 jobs 3 housing for the fortress.

I mean, I guess the +army xp building doesn't, but you only need 1 of those for where-ever you're building your army units. The planetary shield is also not something you'll be looking at shoving on every planet either (though you could do it pretty easily if your entire race design is "you're invading? lol").

doh, I mean more housing. But yeah point taken. Something to make them more valuable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does anyone ever build military academies? It never feels worth it, especially now that for the most part the AI doesn't absolutely blanket their planets in defence armies so you don't need as many to invade (or you just have one army per fleet and take over only after killing all the armies now like I do)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Taear posted:

Does anyone ever build military academies? It never feels worth it, especially now that for the most part the AI doesn't absolutely blanket their planets in defence armies so you don't need as many to invade (or you just have one army per fleet and take over only after killing all the armies now like I do)

That's the building that needs a buff! I never build them. Fortresses are good.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I always build one on my HW or battlethrall world and build all my armies there. War Exhaustion through army loss is quite significant, and a little buff helps conquests go on for longer.

Also:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/1095664448981921792?s=19

I like these little buffs to underused perks. I've never taken One Vision, but it now synergises well with Spiritualism and Authoritarianism, so I well might.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Most of the replies to that tweet seem to be Queen song puns

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Glad to see those buffs, the amenities buff is excellent.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Aethernet posted:

I always build one on my HW or battlethrall world and build all my armies there. War Exhaustion through army loss is quite significant, and a little buff helps conquests go on for longer.

Also:

I like these little buffs to underused perks. I've never taken One Vision, but it now synergises well with Spiritualism and Authoritarianism, so I well might.

I played a game where I was a Fanatic Spiritualist Megacorp with the spiritualist pops provide extra trade ability. I took that perk to force almost all of my pops to be spiritualist and I set the trade to be .5 energy and .15 (I think?) unity.

I completed all of the unity trees by like 2350 or something close to that.

With that upgrade I wonder if you can get it by 2300.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, the devs are under pressure to get the next patch out.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Would it be possible to make an alternate version of the perk for gestalt? Like instead of governing ethics attraction, they got a deviancy reduction.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Aethernet posted:

Well, the devs are under pressure to get the next patch out.

And if they manage to tweak the growth and pop assignment systems to run smoothly in the background without noticable weirdness, they WILL be the champions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aethernet posted:

Also:

Unless you're in a rush just let your fleets bombard to 0 armies, it's pretty fast now.
(remove armies altogether)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Experiencing pretty poor performance in 2.2.5 on my 2018 MacBook Pro. When I first load a game it is pretty zippy, but quickly (like within a month or two) slows down a lot, even on a 400-star map. Performance seems maybe better in system view than galaxy view but it’s hard to tell. This obviously isn’t a true gaming PC but should be more than adequate for something like Stellaris. :shrug:

Playing my first robot game in a long time, is it intentional that colonies and systems are so much more expensive for them in terms of alloys than for organic civs? Seems odd.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bold Robot posted:

Experiencing pretty poor performance in 2.2.5 on my 2018 MacBook Pro. When I first load a game it is pretty zippy, but quickly (like within a month or two) slows down a lot, even on a 400-star map. Performance seems maybe better in system view than galaxy view but it’s hard to tell. This obviously isn’t a true gaming PC but should be more than adequate for something like Stellaris. :shrug:

Playing my first robot game in a long time, is it intentional that colonies and systems are so much more expensive for them in terms of alloys than for organic civs? Seems odd.

it's very much intentional as robbits don't have to spend building slots on consumer goods or worry about food so they can crank out more of the resources they do use per equivalent planet. plus you get 50% more from all space mining including alloys (I assume this also goes for strategic resources due to those also being "mining stations") which is pretty massive in the early game

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Bold Robot posted:

They just buffed some of the other aspects of machine empires. Even with needing a lot more alloys on that expansion, you should be able to quickly goose-step your way past your organic counterparts. In particular, you should make sure to take the racial trait for growth (+15%, 1 point) and the civic for growth (+20%). You also have a base growth rate of 4 instead of 3. So a fleshy person starts the game with rapid breeders (+10%) and 3.3 growth and eventually can spend a bunch of extra food for another +35% growth (4.35) while you start the game at 5.52 (and higher growth on colonies and such).

scaterry posted:

Would it be possible to make an alternate version of the perk for gestalt? Like instead of governing ethics attraction, they got a deviancy reduction.

Very much this, along with other perks that are border-line useless. Like the one for integrating vassals faster is going to be useless in almost any given galaxy generated (unless you force spawn a galaxy of all hives).

Taear posted:

You get +10% dmg and +10% morale for 1 building. It is definitely worth it if you don't want to sit around twiddling your thumbs while you bomb the planet. As someone else mentioned, losing ground units can build a lot of war exhaustion, so buffing your armies is basically a way to take more ground faster.

Personally I'd rather grab a bunch of crap from one guy fast, and then attack someone in another direction and do the same instead of bombing each planet down.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

You get +10% dmg and +10% morale for 1 building. It is definitely worth it if you don't want to sit around twiddling your thumbs while you bomb the planet. As someone else mentioned, losing ground units can build a lot of war exhaustion, so buffing your armies is basically a way to take more ground faster.

Personally I'd rather grab a bunch of crap from one guy fast, and then attack someone in another direction and do the same instead of bombing each planet down.

The exhaustion bit cost me a total victory in the War in Heaven, because I got gung-ho about invading with my armies of Psi commandos. By the time I was counter-attacking, I should have just been patient and parked a fleet over each planet. It's not like they're going anywhere. Joke is on me though, it's the 2560s in my game, and the war is still flagged because I haven't been able to totally wipe out the second awakened empire thanks to the Scourge and a machine uprising costing me time. They sprawled out gobbling up the lesser empires while I was busy holding on by my fingernails for my front line military sector.

I managed to keep the religious fanatics out of my core systems, but it was a long and expensive fight.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

So I've found a uh, semi-bug with weighting.

For clarification, these are two statements that have been observed to be true, unless that is a bug as well.

1) Trade is uneffected by +job output (stuff like authoritarian ethos, or the strong trait).
2) Amenities is uneffected by +job output.

The weighting for clerks however, is the same as the weighting for other worker jobs. Explicitly, proles get a weight of 1.5 (the trait gives +worker job output), very strong gets a weight of 1.2, strong 1.1, and weak 0.9. None of these should be taken into consideration as long as the two above statements are true.

I noticed this after starting a game with a syncretic species (v.strong) and my main being weak and charismatic. Impossible to get my main species into the clerk job.

Also, the miner job has no weighting for the prole trait (which it should as the rest do). The prosperity preacher seems to take into account strong/weak as well when it shouldn't.

edit: this is on the 2.2.5 beta

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

So I've found a uh, semi-bug with weighting.

For clarification, these are two statements that have been observed to be true, unless that is a bug as well.

1) Trade is uneffected by +job output (stuff like authoritarian ethos, or the strong trait).
2) Amenities is uneffected by +job output.

The weighting for clerks however, is the same as the weighting for other worker jobs. Explicitly, proles get a weight of 1.5 (the trait gives +worker job output), very strong gets a weight of 1.2, strong 1.1, and weak 0.9. None of these should be taken into consideration as long as the two above statements are true.

I noticed this after starting a game with a syncretic species (v.strong) and my main being weak and charismatic. Impossible to get my main species into the clerk job.

Also, the miner job has no weighting for the prole trait (which it should as the rest do). The prosperity preacher seems to take into account strong/weak as well when it shouldn't.

edit: this is on the 2.2.5 beta
Copy-paste bugs are the best bugs :allears:

In considerably less buggy news DarkRenown did you do something to worker pop assignment? I'm on 2.2.5 and following the latest patch not only are farmbots abandoning the mines for the fields they were built for and vice versa, but newly finished minebots are booting excess farmbots out of the mines and into the unemployment scrapheap :swoon:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Another backburner bug, though I think this is an old one: had the cultist chain pop for me, and the step of "go find their shipyard" spawned the shipyard in marauder space, who instantly blew it up. The next step triggered just fine, but it was a bit amusing.

For the guy complaining about this chain, the fleet sizes were smaller than I remembered: the initial strength was 100, which after building a couple extra ships I killed with no losses. The next 3 spawns were 100, 100, 300, and the final spawn was around 500. By that time I had 750+ strength with 19 corvettes, and didn't lose any ships throughout the chain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

How come experimental subspace navigation has been so utterly ruined?
It's 2446 and it's going to take my science ship 15 years to jump, I might as well have just flown there.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Taear posted:

How come experimental subspace navigation has been so utterly ruined?
It's 2446 and it's going to take my science ship 15 years to jump, I might as well have just flown there.

Per the dev diary thing talking about it, SSN wasn't intended to be a complete replacement. It's main uses now are passing otherwise unpassable terrain, such as an empire with closed borders, or if there is a dangerous system that'd take much longer to fly around (such as marauder space).

If you want to get into the mathy bits, it has always been based on the actual length of all the hyperlane networks you'd need to travel, and the modifier for that was increased.

Personally I find it annoying because it just makes me build a couple extra science ships to stick around my borders, and I'll assign a scientist if I need it since leaders don't have travel time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hi folks, the Mapgoons are starting up a new Stellaris multiplayer game, and we'd love to pick up new players. This time around the theme is ~secret goals~ where players may earn bonus points by picking some gimmicky and usually RP-driven objective to pursue. See the thread here for details, including an invite to the discord server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882029

The game begins this Saturday, Feb. 16.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mountaineer posted:

Hi folks, the Mapgoons are starting up a new Stellaris multiplayer game, and we'd love to pick up new players. This time around the theme is ~secret goals~ where players may earn bonus points by picking some gimmicky and usually RP-driven objective to pursue. See the thread here for details, including an invite to the discord server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882029

The game begins this Saturday, Feb. 16.

If I had a stable internet connection, I'd love to be a part of this. How long do multiplayer games usually last?

edit: nvm. just read the discord page description. thanks for the heads up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Fried chicken.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1095668285788643331

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy poo poo yes please do this

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I always kind of thought One Vision should affect happiness somehow, and now it kind of does. Next step; play a Fertile/Communal species with this Byzantine Bureaucracy for 30% less housing and amenities usage. :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Interstellar Dominion -> I Want It All
Shared Destiny -> Let Us Cling Together
Transcendence -> I Want to Break Free

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Xeno-Compatibility - Fat Bottomed Blorgs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Xeno-Compatibility - Fat Bottomed Blorgs

You hosed it up I don't want any cutesy names that sound like the title of a queen song, they need to be actual queen song titles

Xeno-Compatibility should obviously be Somebody To Love

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colossus Project - Killer Queen

Voidborne - Princes Of The Universe

World Shaper - Is This The World We Created?

Executive Vigor - Don't Stop Me Now

Nihilistic Acquisition - Death On Two Legs

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

You hosed it up I don't want any cutesy names that sound like the title of a queen song, they need to be actual queen song titles

Xeno-Compatibility should obviously be Somebody To Love

Nah, some references are so specific they count. Also, Nihilistic Acquisition should clearly be Seven Seas of Rhye, given that the lyrics are literally:

Fear me you lords and lady preachers
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

QuarkJets posted:

Colossus Project - Killer Queen

Hammer to Fall, surely, given its theme?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Defender of the Galaxy - We Are the Champions
Galactic Contender - Another One Bites the Dust
Grasp the Void - Spread Your Wings
Either Transcendence or Synthetic Evolution - Heaven for Everyone
Voidborn - Made In Heaven

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 14, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm not sure of the legality but Defender of the Galaxy is obviously Flash's Theme.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serpentis posted:

Hammer to Fall, surely, given its theme?

That seems fine too but I was thinking of the lines

"Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Clearly queen references should be a slider