Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The second Benny episode with him in a mental ward was a mistake
They made it clear that those visions were the Pah-Wraiths messing with Sisko though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Here's a super unpopular opinion: I hate far beyond the stars.
Any episode that's "what if it's fake" is loving poo poo and they all had at least ONE at that time. Even Buffy!

Plus it felt a bit like the Vic episodes - wasting this week's episode on something fake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It isn’t fake though, it’s real.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Any episode that's "what if it's fake" is loving poo poo and they all had at least ONE at that time. Even Buffy!

Plus it felt a bit like the Vic episodes - wasting this week's episode on something fake.

I completely agree but ppl here know that and I see no need to fight that one again at least on my end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taear posted:

I agree.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What if it's fake isn't even the point. It's an episode about racism and about sci fi and a chance to see everyone be cool together without their makeup

Also
It's fun you chodes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taear posted:

Don't you understand? It's real.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The episode was good because it pissed off a lot of racist white nerds who didn't want to watch an explicitly anti-racist episode dealing with black history and experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I always thought the "Is this real or just a dream?" bit was just window dressing. DS9 wanted to do an episode about black history and racism, so pay lip service to the plot device and move along. No different from Past Tense or Badda-Bing Badda-Bing.

Even if it was nominally 'fake,' the experience was real.

Remember that Sisko's baseball was from a fantasy come to life. Just a race of alien explorers passing through who passively make people's fantasies and dreams come to life, and they leave Sisko a baseball. Who are they? Where did they come from? Where did they go? Who knows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They should have just gone back to real earth in real the past and dealt with a real black science fiction author and then we wouldn't have the twee poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pick posted:

They should have just gone back to real earth in real the past and dealt with a real black science fiction author and then we wouldn't have the twee poo poo

Every author in that episode was very blatantly a stand-in for a real sci-fi author from the period.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pick posted:

Because what people want is an episode in which the main cast don't ever appear.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Because what people want is an episode in which the main cast don't ever appear.

"they" go back as in members of the cast. they go back. they as in, for example, "commander sisko"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you watched Far Beyond the Stars and thought “Argh, I hate ‘ is it all a dream?’ episodes!” I’m sorry to say that you fundamentally do not know how to watch television.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

"they" go back as in members of the cast. they go back. they as in, for example, "commander sisko"

This would just dilute the message of the episode, if anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This would just dilute the message of the episode, if anything.

I don't care. I think the framing is poor, flimsy, and cutesy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm not trying to antagonize, but exactly what part of FBtS qualifies as "cutesy"? :wtc:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Benny-chan wa kawaii~

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baronjutter posted:

The episode was good because it pissed off a lot of racist white nerds who didn't want to watch an explicitly anti-racist episode dealing with black history and experience.

It's very specifically an American black history and experience episode and while it's an important story to tell it really took 14 year old me out of the action and into the "oh." part of it.

Kibayasu posted:

If you watched Far Beyond the Stars and thought “Argh, I hate ‘ is it all a dream?’ episodes!” I’m sorry to say that you fundamentally do not know how to watch television.

But that's what it is. It's about the black experience and how it's important to have a black captain but it's STILL an "is it all a dream" episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not trying to antagonize, but exactly what part of FBtS qualifies as "cutesy"? :wtc:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

But that's what it is. It's about the black experience and how it's important to have a black captain but it's STILL an "is it all a dream" episode.

It really isn’t. It definitely teases aspects of that kind of episode, the least of which is that it mostly is a dream, but by the end of the episode it is not about deciding whether Star Trek is Star Trek or just the imagination of a black writer from the 50’s. “You are the dream, and the dreamer” is referring to more than just what happens in the episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, I forgot what a GIANT step up season 3 of TNG is over the first two.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

It really isn’t. It definitely teases aspects of that kind of episode, the least of which is that it mostly is a dream, but by the end of the episode it is not about deciding whether Star Trek is Star Trek or just the imagination of a black writer from the 50’s. “You are the dream, and the dreamer” is referring to more than just what happens in the episode.

It works on multiple levels too, because the advice that Benny's given to try to save his story is to write a coda saying it's just a dream.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Taear posted:

I bet you hate Frame of Mind too

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I suppose they could have done it like 11:59 or Carbon Creek, where one character describes something that happened to an ancestor that happened to look exactly like them... but then you'd end up with an episode on the level of 11:59 or Carbon Creek.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://news.avclub.com/nickelodeon-is-making-a-new-star-trek-animated-series-f-1832608213

Nickelodeon's making a cartoon

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I suppose they could have done it like 11:59 or Carbon Creek, where one character describes something that happened to an ancestor that happened to look exactly like them... but then you'd end up with an episode on the level of 11:59 or Carbon Creek.

Aw, I like Carbon Creek, mostly due to the "oh, she's just been loving with Trip this whole time" implication.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Aw, I like Carbon Creek, mostly due to the "oh, she's just been loving with Trip this whole time" implication.

T’Pol’s a sarcastic and lovable dick, underneath that half-romulan Vulcan exterior

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
God bless Vic Fontaine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Laterite posted:

God Nog bless Vic Fontaine.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
can't believe Pick got prob'd for saying Far Beyond the Stars is bad, harsh but fair.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The first Trek I ever saw was TAS on Nickelodeon, so this completes the circle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Powered Descent posted:

I don't understand because Carbon Creek was good.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Laterite posted:

God Nog Felix bless Vic Fontaine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kibayasu posted:

this, yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say the canon ending for Sisko should be everyone thinks he's missing, but he's been retired anonymously to the Bajor countryside with Kasidy and their baby the whole time.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

but why was mirror Vic a human and not a hologram that was dumb

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What the hell is up with "Dear Doctor"? Did Archer and Plox just commit genocide?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They ensured the genetically superior would prevail over the untermensch, as evolution demands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Miss posted:

but why was mirror Vic a human and not a hologram that was dumb

Normal Vic is a hologram modeled on a real singer and Mirror Vic is that universe’s version of that singer, who lives on DS9 for some reason.

Boom, solved. Star Trek plot holes/inconsistencies are easy to fix.