Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm just gonna rewatch the midwest episodes from s2 and pretend that Frank instead went on a rampage against cults and nazis and other RW poo poo instead of whatever the gently caress happened in NYC again. Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

With regard to Billy's convoluted plan in S2, I read it as more of a contingency plan than anything else. The ideal outcome was tricking and taunting Frank, then having the guys kill him. But Billy knows Frank, and knows how driven he is. So in the unlikely event that Frank overcomes those massive odds and keeps coming for blood, have an escape route that puts some pre-killed hookers in his path and weakens his resolve for the next engagement. If the guys do their job and kill him after the initial ambush, great! You haven't really lost anything, just created some collateral damage.

Kill him if you can, break him if you can't. And it worked, at least for a bit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The show is too serialized and could have used more self-contained episodes where the Punisher investigates criminals, then shoots them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it just me or is the Japanese in Daredevil kind of awkward? Like it's technically correct and usually spoken by native speakers (or at least people with correct pronunciation) but the actual sentences feel "off" even if they're technically correct. I was thinking about what exactly felt "off" and my best guess is that it seems like people literally always use the plain form of verbs, even in formal situations where it doesn't feel right.

edit: Speaking of Daredevil, he continues to be the world's biggest gently caress-up and it's great. He also dealt with the Elektra situation in pretty much the worst way imaginable. Stick is great for letting Karen in while Elektra was in his bed; I bet he totally knew what he was doing there.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 12, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
All I remember about the back half of Daredevil dseason 2 is Matt complaining the whole time that he doesn't want to be there or deal with this ninja poo poo at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The only thing I remember about it is it started with Daredevil getting the poo poo beat out of him by like the smallest junior ninja and by the end he's fighting and beating a literal rooftop full of ninjas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only good part of the back half of Daredevil Season 2 was The Punisher showing up to reenact Steve Buscemi's role from Billy Madison.

The difference in quality between the Punisher half of the season and the "Oh Jesus gently caress, ninjas AGAIN!?!" half is striking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"What's going on with you, what are you holding back?!" - Daredevil, to Karen

hahahahah this guy is such a prick

edit: and then he derides her for not working with the cops, lol

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm really enjoying a rewatch of dd s2 because I'm skipping literally everything that doesnt have frank castle in it
e: kingpin gets a watch, too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kingpin annoys me because even though his gimmick is well-acted, he's just so predictable. I just want to skip to the part (presumably in season 3) when he gets owned after leaving prison and inevitably being powerful and dominant for most of the season. I liked how he was on the decline for a lot of season 1.

Also why is he as good at fighting as "ridiculous elite turbo-soldier with years of fighting/killing experience" and "daredevil, who also has years of combat experience and training by an old ninja assassin dude"?

Maybe season 3 will reveal that Kingpin trained under an expert Literal Grizzly Bear while in Iowa or wherever the gently caress he was sent after killing his dad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
There are people that freak out at the slightest hint that Wilson Fisk isn’t an all knowing all seeing omniscient god that expertly puppet masters all factors from behind the scenes with his all knowing all seeing omniscient godhood. They refuse to conceive of a character that’s a regular human villain albeit skilled and dangerous because “that’s boring” or something. These people are also the scriptwriters on the later seasons of Daredevil.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is the Japanese in Daredevil kind of awkward? Like it's technically correct and usually spoken by native speakers (or at least people with correct pronunciation) but the actual sentences feel "off" even if they're technically correct. I was thinking about what exactly felt "off" and my best guess is that it seems like people literally always use the plain form of verbs, even in formal situations where it doesn't feel right.

For it to not be just you we’d need someone who:

Reads SA.
Reads TVIV.
Cares about Marvel shows.
Has seen the episodes you’re talking about.
Speaks Japanese well enough to know when something is ‘off’.

This does not have the makings of a long list.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

There are people that freak out at the slightest hint that Wilson Fisk isn’t an all knowing all seeing omniscient god that expertly puppet masters all factors from behind the scenes with his all knowing all seeing omniscient godhood. They refuse to conceive of a character that’s a regular human villain albeit skilled and dangerous because “that’s boring” or something. These people are also the scriptwriters on the later seasons of Daredevil.

This was far and away my biggest problem with Daredevil S3.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jerusalem posted:

Only good part of the back half of Daredevil Season 2 was The Punisher showing up to reenact Steve Buscemi's role from Billy Madison.

The difference in quality between the Punisher half of the season and the "Oh Jesus gently caress, ninjas AGAIN!?!" half is striking.

I was hoping for the Punisher to show up and just shoot all the ninjas and end that entire stupid storyline

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I was hoping for the Punisher to show up and just shoot all the ninjas and end that entire stupid storyline

Wasn't that literally the end of the storyline? The Punisher shows up and shoots all the ninjas so Daredevil can have his final battle against the equally-uninteresting main baddies?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Cythereal posted:

This was far and away my biggest problem with Daredevil S3.

Same for me, he was just a little too good at everything.

In the comics he's a really intelligent guy and is proficient at hand to hand combat but he's not a fuckin demi god.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Field Mousepad posted:

Same for me, he was just a little too good at everything.

In the comics he's a really intelligent guy and is proficient at hand to hand combat but he's not a fuckin demi god.

That was the recurring theme of S3 -- these bad guys are way more "powerful" than they have any right to be, given what was shown to us. It's real hard to believe Kingpin somehow got control over literally everyone in town from the comfort of his prison cell. And it was equally hard to believe Bullseye is just invincible in the Daredevil suit, and has what amounts to a metahuman power for throwing things. It's weird, because Daredevil isn't such an unstoppable opponent that his bad guys need to have cheaty powers like that -- I could definitely buy a big beefy guy like Kingpin being able to compete with the fairy cloud punches that he throws, or that Bullseye could get beat up a little and still come out ahead somehow.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

Wasn't that literally the end of the storyline? The Punisher shows up and shoots all the ninjas so Daredevil can have his final battle against the equally-uninteresting main baddies?

no that was my fan fiction i post every time someone brings up daredevil season 2

Frank on a rooftop across from the big ninja fight and DD hears the chains of a minigun start to clink and screams for Electra to hit the deck as the entire floor is ripped to shreds and kills 99% of the ninjas leaving DD/E to clean up whats left and finish off Gao

and then DD/Punisher do a cool guy head nod to eachother from like a mile away and no loving way in hell either of them saw the other do it or acknowledge it but we all know theyre bros now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phenotype posted:

That was the recurring theme of S3 -- these bad guys are way more "powerful" than they have any right to be, given what was shown to us. It's real hard to believe Kingpin somehow got control over literally everyone in town from the comfort of his prison cell. And it was equally hard to believe Bullseye is just invincible in the Daredevil suit, and has what amounts to a metahuman power for throwing things. It's weird, because Daredevil isn't such an unstoppable opponent that his bad guys need to have cheaty powers like that -- I could definitely buy a big beefy guy like Kingpin being able to compete with the fairy cloud punches that he throws, or that Bullseye could get beat up a little and still come out ahead somehow.

Hell, just look at Matt versus Frank in the first couple of episodes in S2. Frank's not metahuman, he's just very strong, tough, and skilled, and he's an even match for Matt - maybe even better given his willingness to use guns.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

bring back old gbs posted:

no that was my fan fiction i post every time someone brings up daredevil season 2

Frank on a rooftop across from the big ninja fight and DD hears the chains of a minigun start to clink and screams for Electra to hit the deck as the entire floor is ripped to shreds and kills 99% of the ninjas leaving DD/E to clean up whats left and finish off Gao

I'm almost certain this is the context of Punisher's iconic minigun rooftop scene. I have a Heroclix of it, but can't find the illustration.

I was really disappointed when it didn't happen. Ie: most of DDS2

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

I'm almost certain this is the context of Punisher's iconic minigun rooftop scene. I have a Heroclix of it, but can't find the illustration.

I was really disappointed when it didn't happen. Ie: most of DDS2

ahh ok maybe I'm stealing it from an old comic then, I can see the sequence playing out in my head, it's just like they forgot to shoot it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's still frustrating as poo poo that we knew Frank had a minigun when there were hundreds (ok...dozens) of ninjas on a rooftop.

They totally set that scene and then whoops.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s probably, in retrospect, the single greatest failing of the Netflix MCU. Across all of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Punisher, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and the Defenders... Frank not mincing a bunch of ninjas with a chain gun just hurts.

Second place to Iron Fist dude mansplaining Kung Fu to a woman teaching a class in her own dojo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phenotype posted:

One thing that bugs me about the Kingpin situation is that Season 1 made it very apparent that Kingpin needed the expertise of that old Wall Street dude; there's no way he would have let him mouth off as much as he did otherwise. So the basic premise didn't seem to involve Kingpin magically being a genius at creating/hiding wealth or whatever (maybe season 3 goes into more detail about how he originally became wealthy though?), and he gains dominance in the prison through the use of his wealth (this is presumably how he gains control over cops and poo poo). Pretty much all of Kingpin's power hinges on him magically having his hooks in countless people, all of whom are competent enough to hide their random murders from colleagues and none of whom are willing to snitch.

It also bugs me how Daredevil's super-senses seem kind of inconsistent. Like, it's pretty bullshit that the ninjas were able to hide their presence until, uh, they weren't because Stick told Daredevil to listen to their breath. But we've already seen Daredevil do far more ridiculous poo poo that hear the breath of someone 10 feet away (like tell what someone ate 2 days ago or whether a dog 50 feet away is hungry), and he can clearly tell where stationary solid objects are without them moving, since he's always doing parkour and what have you.

There's also some thematic weirdness, where I constantly get a sense of deja vu with regard to certain themes reoccurring constantly (Daredevil debating the morality of killing, Foggy being angry at Daredevil for being a shifty prick, etc).

Despite all this, I still enjoy the show. It has good fight scenes, even if it's a bit implausible that Daredevil hasn't murdered a bunch of folks by beaning them in the head with his metal sticks. The casting is good (this seems to be fairly consistent across the shows, Iron Fist excluded).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

As Nero Danced posted:

All I remember about the back half of Daredevil dseason 2 is Matt complaining the whole time that he doesn't want to be there or deal with this ninja poo poo at all.

To be fair most people watching felt the same as Matt.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Am I the only one who absolutely hated the second season of Punisher, after loving the first season?

I mean it started off ok, but then it got progressively worse every episode. Just so much stupid poo poo going on that makes no sense.... I'm only going to address a select few instances of stupid poo poo (because if I went over all of them, we'd be here all day)

For one thing, the action sequences just suck. Because you learned that Frank Castle is actually superman. And no matter how many times he gets run over by cars, or shot, or has a nuclear bomb dropped right on his head, after laying on the ground for a few minutes and groaning, he's going to be back to 100% and then kill the bad guys, regardless of how many of them there are

For another, who the hell is this annoying rear end brat and why on earth does Frank Castle give a poo poo about her? There literally is nothing likeable about her and comic book Frank Castle would have agreed and ditched her immediately... instead, tv show Frank inexplicably loves her so much, that he puts his entire vendetta with Billy on hold for several episodes to try to save her? That thing with Billy is the entire reason he is the Punisher, he wouldn't put that on hold for anyone, let alone for one of the most unlikeable characters in tv show history.

Speaking of Billy, why the hell is he the main villain again? Were the writers seriously too lazy to bother coming up with a new plot that they basically decided to recycle the second half of season 1? His story should have been concluded at season 1, he was no longer relevant....

Speaking of recycling characters, why is Madani still on the show? There's no need for her. And how did she immediately go from getting overpowered in hand to hand combat against a therapist with no combat experience (this was seriously lol) to being able to go toe to toe against Billy (somebody with combat prowess almost equal to Punisher) and seriously injuring him? And why did she miraculously survive Billy's attempt to kill her?

Why do ANY of the characters miraculously survive fatal circumstances with no plausible explanation on a regular basis? It takes all of the suspense out of the show. You know that all of the "good" characters are going to survive, regardless of what happens and you know all the "bad" characters are going to get caught/killed. I didn't even finish watching the last episode, because there was no point. You already know exactly what's going to happen, like 3-4 episodes before the finale

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Piell posted:

Reposting this because lol

IT'S JUST A PRANK BROOO!

All of it! Killing Frank's family, beating him up and drawing on his face with markers. It was just for the lulz man, geeeez. Why did Frank have to take it so seriously? Where's his sense of humor?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No PS2 is actually a huge dip in quality from PS1, and I like Punisher the most of all the MCU. I haven’t even finished it yet I’m on the last one and don’t even care. I feel like Frank and Pilgrim never actually interact and the storylines just needlessly meander for the entire season with no development.

Also it being 2019 having “a dude is gay” be a major plotpoint felt kinda dated. The show is extremely dark at times, they could have gone weirder.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bust Rodd posted:

No PS2 is actually a huge dip in quality from PS1, and I like Punisher the most of all the MCU. I haven’t even finished it yet I’m on the last one and don’t even care. I feel like Frank and Pilgrim never actually interact and the storylines just needlessly meander for the entire season with no development.

Also it being 2019 having “a dude is gay” be a major plotpoint felt kinda dated. The show is extremely dark at times, they could have gone weirder.

"He's gay. With animals."

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably, in retrospect, the single greatest failing of the Netflix MCU. Across all of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Punisher, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and the Defenders... Frank not mincing a bunch of ninjas with a chain gun just hurts.

I was really hoping for a rehash of the elevator scene from the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie. (I know, Yakuza vs. Ninjas, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4J8SiS_Xv8

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I actually liked that. Frank's reaction of "so?" helped sell that this was all over a non-issue.

If the son had actually been a weirdo with dark tendencies or a real secret, it would have made the parents somewhat credible or sympathetic for covering it up. Instead, they're just hateful, homophobic assholes who'd rather see dozens murdered than let their gay son be himself openly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DrunkPanda posted:

Am I the only one who absolutely hated the second season of Punisher, after loving the first season?

No. It sucked

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
And yeah the action kind of sucked. It's like they were afraid to show him shooting people now. Instead of him being smart and skilled, he just sort of wades in and punches people no matter how many there are.

The woods fight is basically just him walking up and shooting people one by one in the woods. Nothing about it shows his thinking or has any tension or anything.

He doesn't even kill a pornographer wtf is that

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

moths posted:

I actually liked that. Frank's reaction of "so?" helped sell that this was all over a non-issue.

If the son had actually been a weirdo with dark tendencies or a real secret, it would have made the parents somewhat credible or sympathetic for covering it up. Instead, they're just hateful, homophobic assholes who'd rather see dozens murdered than let their gay son be himself openly.

yeah, i felt like that was kind of the point in selling what ultimate loving petty rich conservative evil bastards the villains are. their son even as much as says that when he's talking to Curtis I think, about how first he thought they wanted him to hide his sexuality to "protect people from their own prejudices" but now he realizes they were just embarrassed by him.

i liked parts of S2 a lot but really disliked pretty much everything with billy and his dumb crazy therapist, and by extension Madani. i like the idea of Madani as a character but she never gets anything interesting or validating to do in the story and is seemingly there to just gape watery eyed as she gets dunked on by every single other character she encounters. the one time you think they're setting her up for a win or to get meaningful catharsis she gets her rear end beat, stabbed in the face, then choked nearly to death. then she doesn't even get the validation of killing the dude herself.

S2 would have been 100x better if it stuck to frank and amy on the road across middle america, with pilgrim and his right-wing elitist bosses in pursuit. there was no reason their son needed to be a New York senator. the only downside to this is no Curtis, who is a great part of S2 but i'd be happier with contriving him catching a bus to Ohio to help Frank than an entire boring plotline with Madani and Billy contriving Frank to wind up back in NYC.

the only scene with Billy that worked for me was when he gets casually executed mid-tiresome blubbering crazy guy pity party by Frank, echoing my feelings towards the character and his entire lame role throughout the season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mandrel posted:

the only scene with Billy that worked for me was when he gets casually executed mid-tiresome blubbering crazy guy pity party by Frank, echoing my feelings towards the character and his entire lame role throughout the season.

Yeah, that was basically the only good use of the character, which is a real waste since he was pretty great in season 1.

At least this season didn't have anything as appallingly written as the gun-control guy from the first season.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Just like the only good thing talking doctor lady did was get thrown out a window.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Agree that Punisher S2 just kind of fizzled. Episode 4 was a noticeable drop off point and it hasn't picked back up. Trying to slog my waty through it because I like the performances but the story just doesn't grab me and Frank's inhuman resistance to damage is reaching ridiculous levels of Logan.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, that was basically the only good use of the character, which is a real waste since he was pretty great in season 1.

At least this season didn't have anything as appallingly written as the gun-control guy from the first season.

I've rewatched season 1 once or twice, but each time I can't stand to watch that episode. The whole PTSD unabomber plot was blatant padding (the kid playing Lewis was good, but the character really didn't add much to the show except ~90 minutes of extra runtime overall), and that politician character was so obnoxiously written. Between him and the stolen valor gun humper guy, it was obvious both characters were based off the dumbest stereotypes both sides of the gun control argument see in their opposites. The show's attempt at addressing the debate said nothing and mattered even less.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It bums me out that the season two version of Punisher would now have totally murdered the poor construction worker kid in the first episode of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

It bums me out that the season two version of Punisher would now have totally murdered the poor construction worker kid in the first episode of the series.

What're you basing that on? The only reason Donny got away with it was because he attempted to be friendly towards Frank and let him know that he was just trying to pay back his grandmother for letting stay with her while trying to get back on his feet. Y'know, decent enough motivations.