Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Neo Rasa posted:

How has there never been a Scarecrow movie titled The Last Straw? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j37lcgT1fw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This is scarier than any horror film.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I actually went in to Velvet Buzzsaw blind and didn't realize it was a horror movie. I was digging it for the first hour or so until the actual horror started and that part is just so underwhelming compared to the rest (Imo, of course).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Death Day 2 U is loving great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

I actually went in to Velvet Buzzsaw blind and didn't realize it was a horror movie. I was digging it for the first hour or so until the actual horror started and that part is just so underwhelming compared to the rest (Imo, of course).

yeah its not heaps a horror film; it just uses those to tell a weird story about creativity and artistry and capitalism i think? but i enjoyed ir a whole lot

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Housebound was rad as hell.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

finally watched hereditary and now i'm mad toni collette isn't nominated for an oscar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

R. Guyovich posted:

finally watched hereditary and now i'm mad toni collette isn't nominated for an oscar.
The Oscars don't give a poo poo about good movies for the most part

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Disposable Scud posted:

Housebound was rad as hell.

Kiwi's are great at making Horror/Comedy. Hell their comedy alone is great IMHO

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

its criminal but the oscars are also very stupid

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i've hated the oscars since i was a tiny child, when titanic beat la confidential. i'm well aware of how bad they are.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Europa Report is still the scariest non-scary movie. Just the implication makes the movie terrifying. A layer of ice and then water hundreds of miles deep. I get creeped out thinking about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darko posted:

The trick I had for Chucky was to not fight him and get him high instead.

There is a killer puppet movie that does exactly this. I'm pretty sure it's Idle Hands.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Idle Hands is underrated zombie stoner horror comedy. I actually rewatched it about a month ago. If any old horror movie deserves a Shout Factory release it's Idle Hands.

Edit: The no-frills Blu-ray is 10.42 USD on Amazon with Prime shipping. No one has an excuse.

Edit 2: Amazon knows me too well. It's like, "You should also buy The Faculty, Hard Ticket to Hawaii, and The Frighteners". drat I'm really bout to buy Idle Hands on Blu-ray.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 14, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I rewatched Idle Hands a couple of years ago, and let me tell you, it is a loving watchable time capsule if you’re of a certain age.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

Europa Report is still the scariest non-scary movie. Just the implication makes the movie terrifying. A layer of ice and then water hundreds of miles deep. I get creeped out thinking about it.

That moment really got to me too, it's viscerally terrifying in a way that very few actual horror movies can accomplish. Especially how she's fully aware the entire time of what's happening as she falls, ugh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Idle Hands is the movie equivalent of wearing jorts.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Idle Hands has The Offspring in it, playing as a prom.

There’s no joke there.

It just is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Idle Hands is the movie equivalent of wearing JNCOS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Idle Hands has The Offspring in it, playing as a prom.

There’s no joke there.

It just is.

Wyld Stallyns main competition at the Battle of the Bands was Primus.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Wyld Stallyns main competition at the Battle of the Bands was Primus.

Yeah but that rules

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

Yeah but that rules

I was the right age to like the Offspring when Idle Hands came out. Of course I also haven't seen Idle Hands since I saw it in the theater.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember when Final Destination was on the Scream Stream we were all laughing about how Devon Sawa has gotta be one of the weirdest looking guys to ever get lead roles in movies. There's something that's just off about that guy's face.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He's so weird looking. He like a unattractive Jeremy Renner like if Renner was in a accident that marred his face.

Also Jeremy Renner is not attractive.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I remember when Final Destination was on the Scream Stream we were all laughing about how Devon Sawa has gotta be one of the weirdest looking guys to ever get lead roles in movies. There's something that's just off about that guy's face.

So, the first three Final Destinations are on Netflix now, and I rewatched them over the last two weekends, and yeah, you’re absolutely right. He is a very weird looking guy. Like I noticed that rewatching that first flick in a way I never had before.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Devon Sawa looks like what I imagine the dancing old man Six Flags mascot looked like as a kid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He's so weird looking. He like a unattractive Jeremy Renner like if Renner was in a accident that marred his face.

Also Jeremy Renner is not attractive.

Renner at least built himself up so that he's got a good looking body, Sawa has the weird face and then he's also just a gangly skinny dude. Pretty impressive I suppose, what he was able to do with the tools he had.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Iron Crowned posted:

I was the right age to like the Offspring when Idle Hands came out. Of course I also haven't seen Idle Hands since I saw it in the theater.

I paid considerable money to have a DVD Player Multi-region decoded and Imported a copy of Idle Hands BECAUSE The Offspring are in it! It came out in the UK quite a lot later.

Fun fact: The Offspring are not the only Musicians to make a cameo in that film Tom Delonge of Blink 182 is working in the Drive Thru during that scene

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My Bloody Valentine (original uncut) @ 8 central , 9 eastern. I'll post the link in the discord channel

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Untrustable posted:

This is a big part of why The Abyss works for me. Even more than many space movies it does a great job creating that sense that if even some tiny stuff goes wrong these folks are just going to be killed off instantly due to the level of technology they're working with. And all those POV shots of them initially going under like dang. Like in sci-fi movies in space there's almost always like, back-up systems, forcefields, escape pods, whatever. But in underwater movies there's always the immediate notion of something hosed up, seal poo poo up or get somewhere else ASAP or you drown.

I love Europe Report. I'm not a big found footage person honestly but I love that flick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 14, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Legitimately stunned there's been now more than one page of talking about Chucky getting high and horror movies about getting high, and there's also now been more than one page with no mention of Evil Bong. :wtc:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I just remembered that I saw that in the theatre too. It might've been the first time I saw Jessica Alba too. Dang.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone always forgets too that Europa Report has a legit cast, probably the best cast ever assembled for a found footage film. It goes a long way towards selling the audience on what's happening.

Neo Rasa posted:

Legitimately stunned there's been now more than one page of talking about Chucky getting high and horror movies about getting high, and there's also now been more than one page with no mention of Evil Bong. :wtc:

We're quickly getting to the point itt where this would be a very embarrassing admission, but I've actually never seen a single Evil Bong movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone always forgets too that Europa Report has a legit cast, probably the best cast ever assembled for a found footage film. It goes a long way towards selling the audience on what's happening.

I would think it would have the opposite effect since unknown actors help sell the "authenticity" of it to the audience

also the best found footage horror film is Apollo 18, which had the most plausible and terrifying creature ever committed to the screen

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would think it would have the opposite effect since unknown actors help sell the "authenticity" of it to the audience

I can see the logic in that but that logic typically falls apart because the unknowns are so often lovely amateurish actors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

We're quickly getting to the point itt where this would be a very embarrassing admission, but I've actually never seen a single Evil Bong movie.

:same:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Chucky is too inextricably linked to the 80s for weed in his universe to function as anything less than a gateway drug, so while smoking him out might get you away the first time, by the next time you face him he will have evolved into PCP Chucky, and you are hosed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
no but seriously though why did the monster in Apollo 18 not become a bigger punchline in horror circles because my god its the worst

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no but seriously though why did the monster in Apollo 18 not become a bigger punchline in horror circles because my god its the worst

It's really not the worst at all though. Apollo 18 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apollo 18 is a saint compared to other alien found footage films