Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Love that not only is there an appropriate Queen song for every perk but some actually have several suitable candidates. This needs to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't particularly like Queen songs. :saddowns: :reject:

(not that you should care :v: )

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Love that not only is there an appropriate Queen song for every perk but some actually have several suitable candidates. This needs to happen.

Whenever a player selects The End of the Cycle, Bohemian Rhapsody should play.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/1095983991742758913 more cool stuff for the fleet upgrades :)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Just as long as it's faster, as it's currently painfully slow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've only found it slow if I'm completely refactoring a huge fleet (or it's endgame where everything is slow). If you're just upgrading gun II to gun III it's pretty reasonable.

That said it'll use every yard in a station so you're looking at a 6x increase anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

I'm not sure of the legality but Defender of the Galaxy is obviously Flash's Theme.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
With the way upgrading works now it might actually be quick enough to use the ship designer to counteract an enemies ships instead of just having a general build.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Star Trek mod people are having a big multiplayer game reveal for 2.2 tomorrow at 7pm CET. It looks like a huge overhaul for 2.2

https://www.twitch.tv/horathdrak

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is from a few pages ago and there were several replies, but I wanted to add something that I didnt see people say...

pmchem posted:

What's the best way to make it so workers are intelligently distributed and I'm not running negative of any resource?
You should only have as many jobs as you have workers - if you are building districts and buildings when you dont have have excess workers you will be paying upkeep on the district/building even though it is not being used. More on this later.

pmchem posted:

Can these suckers just automatically find the optimal jobs?
They have made some changes to the weighting in the 2.5 beta patch that may help with that if you had problems.

pmchem posted:

Also it feels like some buildings cause me more problems than value they produce. What buildings should be on every single planet?
The thing I didnt see people say is - do you always build buildings when you get an open slot? Because that is how buildings can cause you problems. Only build buildings if you need something and have unemployed workers to fill the job slots that you are creating.

Generally for building new districts, I build one of whatever type I need the most once I have workers to fill the jobs. That is how you keep your economy balanced in the early game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oops, sorry for the double post.

alcaras posted:

I've actually never used slaves -- was planning on just giving "acquired" pops (Nihil Acq. as first pick likely) Residency. Let me know if it'd be better to enslave. I should really do a test game to wrap my head around slavery, it's just I don't like the finicky species rights, and from experience with Robots, it really sucks when you run out of jobs for your underclass.
You can set Slaves to "Domestic Servitude" which has them generate amenities if they have nothing else to do, which means that slave pops will never be unemployed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You can set Slaves to "Domestic Servitude" which has them generate amenities if they have nothing else to do, which means that slave pops will never be unemployed.

You do lose out on the 10% worker output for chattel slavery. Domestic servitude is amazing for charismatic slaves though.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
What also sucks about slavery is the other side of that...when you run out of free population to do middle and upper class jobs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Still haven't fixed the issue that only the top element of the queue shows how much time remaining though

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's the benefit to Slavery as opposed to just keeping new species acquisitions at Residence instead?

Is it just the extra 10% production from Chattel Slavery?

I feel like Slavery adds a ton of micro / fiddling with Species rights / moving pops around planets. Or maybe I'm not doing it right.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

I'm not sure of the legality but Defender of the Galaxy is obviously Flash's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HU0RGixZLk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

alcaras posted:

What's the benefit to Slavery as opposed to just keeping new species acquisitions at Residence instead?

I feel like Slavery adds a ton of micro / fiddling with Species rights / moving pops around planets. Or maybe I'm not doing it right.
Reduced housing and even lower political power.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alcaras posted:

I like it because then I can keep lovely suboptimal pops from working jobs I dont want them to work, stop them from breeding too much, but still get use out of them.

I dont feel like having Slaves add much micro at all or means there is less because my main species is not slaves and everyone else is, and i make sure my main species breeds while the slaves dont.

and

Splicer posted:

Reduced housing and even lower political power.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Have they mentioned whether the ship upgrade changes are coming in the patch slated for the end of the month? I've been holding off playing for a bit until they go in.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

alcaras posted:

+10% output from Chattel Slavery, +5% output from Slave Processing Facility (and reduced political power), +10% output from Slaver Guilds, +10% from having a Governor with Iron Fist, +5 or 10% from Authoritarian or F. Authoritarian ethic. You can also make Thrall Worlds to increase population growth, although I haven't actually tried that yet to say whether its worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

NatasDog posted:

Have they mentioned whether the ship upgrade changes are coming in the patch slated for the end of the month? I've been holding off playing for a bit until they go in.

The dev diary (just posted apparently) implies that those changes will be in a late Feb patch: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-140-2-2-x-post-launch-patch-v2.1152783/

Also it looks like the planetary interface is getting a nice rework.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

The dev diary (just posted apparently) implies that those changes will be in a late Feb patch: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-140-2-2-x-post-launch-patch-v2.1152783/

Also it looks like the planetary interface is getting a nice rework.

Nice redesign. Ultimately I'm still hoping for variable building amounts but until then this is a huge improvement.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No mention of a sector-forming re-work :(
I wonder if that's on the table at all, even for the next DLC.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

Nice redesign. Ultimately I'm still hoping for variable building amounts but until then this is a huge improvement.

I still like the suggestion someone had where there's a list of buildings with counts specified instead of a grid of pictures that all look the same to me. :corsair:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

prefect posted:

I still like the suggestion someone had where there's a list of buildings with counts specified instead of a grid of pictures that all look the same to me. :corsair:
That was me! Also possibly other people it's not radically innovative. At least the mew design looks like the buildings might be getting slightly more screenspace for us olds. I don't see a sort button though :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

That was me! Also possibly other people it's not radically innovative. At least the mew design looks like the buildings might be getting slightly more screenspace for us olds. I don't see a sort button though :(
They really need to do your idea and remove the cap on building count. I want to keep piling them on higher and higher. Make it so I can have more and more people but additional buildings beyond a certain count cost exponentially more because you ran out of space for them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I don't see how a number is more informative than WYSIWYG, nor the virtue of making large planets and ecus even better than they are now. :2c:

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They really need to do your idea and remove the cap on building count. I want to keep piling them on higher and higher. Make it so I can have more and more people but additional buildings beyond a certain count cost exponentially more because you ran out of space for them.
I'd be fine with keeping a cap, just some kind of variable cap. Like, everyone gets 10 by default but you can get ascensions and tech and such, or your planetary capital gets more, or ringworlds have like 50. Every planet supporting exactly 15 buildings + colony centre is weird.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't see how a number is more informative than WYSIWYG, nor the virtue of making large planets and ecus even better than they are now. :2c:
You're assuming buildings would still be based on population, which is something I still find silly. You could even have arguments for ecus having less buildings, since they're already covered in cities.

The problem with the current WYSIWYG is that it's awkward to quickly S what you've G, especially when scrolling through multiple planets, double especially when you didn't develop them, and triply especially when you start replacing buildings and break the autosort.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
A number is always going to be easier to read than manually counting how many pictures of a Foundry there are.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really *really* hope that they will not declare themselves done with post-DLC support with the patch in late Feb. So much work still needs to go into this new economic system. I still want to hear something about Sectors, for one thing.

Vengarr posted:

A number is always going to be easier to read than manually counting how many pictures of a Foundry there are.
Exactly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

This.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Especially when the grouping breaks because you replaced a lab or something with a foundry and now it's not right next to all the others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NatasDog posted:

Especially when the grouping breaks because you replaced a lab or something with a foundry and now it's not right next to all the others.

And having the list be sorted would be wonderful -- I'd be able to stop worrying that I forgot to make the third building an Uplink Node to ensure all the planets match top rows. :spergin:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

When the hell is the exact number of a type of building important? This is such a weird loving argument.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Instead of the building grid just have an icon for the building with a number on top would be so much clearer.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just replace the interface with a spreadsheet. /s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

When the hell is the exact number of a type of building important? This is such a weird loving argument.
Exactly. If I'm looking at the buildings on my research planet it's probably because I want to quickly see what uniques I have. If I want to know how my amenities are doing I have the net amenities number, and if I want to know if I want to build another research lab I'll look at the unemployment figures. I don't need multiple research lab and holotheatre icons. If I do for some reason want to know exactly how many research labs I have on a planet (as opposed to just "enough", "not enough", or "too many") then that's more conveniently portrayed by a single research lab building picture with "6" written on it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Why would you ever care about the exact number of research labs on a planet though?

Generally the decision is "empty building slot --> research lab" and thus you visually want to scan for empty building slots, not 5 vs. 6 research labs. That doesn't matter, does it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

For buildings it's not so important, but it does move the issue of building sorting somewhere else. But for districts I really wish it was numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

alcaras posted:

Why would you ever care about the exact number of research labs on a planet though?

Generally the decision is "empty building slot --> research lab" and thus you visually want to scan for empty building slots, not 5 vs. 6 research labs. That doesn't matter, does it?

Splicer posted:

Exactly. If I'm looking at the buildings on my research planet it's probably because I want to quickly see what uniques I have. If I want to know how my amenities are doing I have the net amenities number, and if I want to know if I want to build another research lab I'll look at the unemployment figures. I don't need multiple research lab and holotheatre icons. If I do for some* reason want to know exactly how many research labs I have on a planet (as opposed to just "enough", "not enough", or "too many") then that's more conveniently portrayed by a single research lab building picture with "6" written on it.
Feel free to put "godforsaken" or "inexplicable" where I've placed an asterisk.