Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Going off memory, the only worlds from the original that weren't based off clear parts of the source movie were Deep Jungle (alternate take on the movie apparently), Halloween Town (seems to be a Nightmare prequel), and Olympus Coliseum. Monstro's a weird edge case between 'based on a movie scene' and unrelated.

It's kinda always been the way with Kingdom Hearts.

The difference is that in the previous games, these world's were more like "hey let's get the major plot beats in here, with one or two notable setpieces". So you meet Aladdin in the market, but Jasmine is being chased by Jafar as well before you and Aladdin go to the Cave of Wonders to save her or something, beat up the entrance, and make your way through.

These 'retelling' world's in KH3 are, almost entirely, scene-for-scene recreations of the films. Tangled is especially bad, showing direct scenes from the films (obviously in lesser quality) except that maybe Sora and pals are there. If the Aladdin example I gave before were like this, you'd meet up with Aladdin as he was escaping guards, he'd see Jasmine, get captured, you'd accompany him to get the lamp after being bamboozled by Jafar, help him make some wishes, etc. It's be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos in Total Warham kind of operate this way, they only destroy settlements they take and loot/wreck up the land where they go.

as do a few nations in dominions, notably mid age ermor

it makes them horrible in multiplayer because nobody wants to spend the resources to fight them (because they get literally nothing except a bunch of worthless territory and a bunch of squandered resources), so the the only real solution is to form a coalition against them, which everyone has a massive incentive to do as little as possible to help out in. except if not enough is done ermor just snowballs the entire game under a sea of skeletons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Watching KH3 clips is so loving bizarre if you haven’t been down for the whole stupid ride at this point. “Aw hyuk, seem like ole Xenahort transposed his heart data into another Nobody vessel. Gawrsh!”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

Watching KH3 clips is so loving bizarre if you haven’t been down for the whole stupid ride at this point. “Aw hyuk, seem like ole Xenahort transposed his heart data into another Nobody vessel. Gawrsh!”

I hope Donald Duck gives a thirty minute monologue about whatever the gently caress the game is about at some point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

as do a few nations in dominions, notably mid age ermor

it makes them horrible in multiplayer because nobody wants to spend the resources to fight them (because they get literally nothing except a bunch of worthless territory and a bunch of squandered resources), so the the only real solution is to form a coalition against them, which everyone has a massive incentive to do as little as possible to help out in. except if not enough is done ermor just snowballs the entire game under a sea of skeletons.

And the game that provoked that post, Gladius: Relics of War. That's how the Tyranids operate. They turn the terrain around their cities to empty bedrock as they harvest everything for biomass and move on, rendering anywhere the Tyranids have been worthless for everyone else except for special resources, which don't disappear. They're built to be constantly expanding to keep harvesting biomass, burying the map under a tidal wave of critters.

Harmless to the Marines, whose central gimmick is that they're a one-city civ to begin with, and merely inconvenient to the Guard and Orks who can found cities anywhere. Extremely loving annoying as the Necrons, who can only found cities on specific locations randomly generated on the map.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope Donald Duck gives a thirty minute monologue about whatever the gently caress the game is about at some point.

There's a line Donald gives whenever you're near ingredients, and it sounds so weird, like he's pausing after every syllable.

"Looks. Like. We. Can. Find. In-Gree-Dee-Ents. Here!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Morpheus posted:

The difference is that in the previous games, these world's were more like "hey let's get the major plot beats in here, with one or two notable setpieces". So you meet Aladdin in the market, but Jasmine is being chased by Jafar as well before you and Aladdin go to the Cave of Wonders to save her or something, beat up the entrance, and make your way through.

These 'retelling' world's in KH3 are, almost entirely, scene-for-scene recreations of the films. Tangled is especially bad, showing direct scenes from the films (obviously in lesser quality) except that maybe Sora and pals are there. If the Aladdin example I gave before were like this, you'd meet up with Aladdin as he was escaping guards, he'd see Jasmine, get captured, you'd accompany him to get the lamp after being bamboozled by Jafar, help him make some wishes, etc. It's be worse.

Yeah, 3 is definitely a lesser game in that regard (and some others), that it's really weird. Tangled was basically the movie, but it seemed like a lot of the Flynn and Rapunzel interaction became Sora and Rapunzel, which made Flynn and Rapunzel falling in love a bit odd. Sure, it follows the movie like that, but their relationship doesn't work when Sora is involved.

I think Monsters Inc. was really good in that regard. It was an original story and didn't just try to hit the movie beat for beat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toy Story was fun too because it also just did its own thing.

Hercules also didn't recreate the movie beyond Hades attacks and Titans are there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the tangled world's beat-for-beat copying of scenes from the film also made it even clearer how badly acted and directed all of the game's other cutscenes are

they completely recreate rapunzel's little post-escape mood-swing scene and the second sora and co. open their mouths the quality plummets

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think my biggest issue is how little the villains are actually involved with any of the plots of the worlds. In both Frozen and Tangled (unsurprisingly, the two worst offenders for 'watch the film again'), the villains don't actually do anything. They just sort of watch the plot unfold, go "well gently caress the heart isn't good anymore" and leave.

Pirates of the Caribbean was one of my favourite worlds, because there's a lot of plot going on but Sora and pals are loving around in the Caribbean while it's happening. Like, yeah, there's some poo poo going on with Davey Jones at Dead Man's Cove but uh sorry I need to upgrade my ship and check out all the islands in this pseudo-Black Flag disney remake thanks.

Though when they do get to the dramatic moments of that film, it's loving hilarious. Oh no, Will is killed! Watch Sora get real mad!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And the game that provoked that post, Gladius: Relics of War. That's how the Tyranids operate. They turn the terrain around their cities to empty bedrock as they harvest everything for biomass and move on, rendering anywhere the Tyranids have been worthless for everyone else except for special resources, which don't disappear. They're built to be constantly expanding to keep harvesting biomass, burying the map under a tidal wave of critters.

Harmless to the Marines, whose central gimmick is that they're a one-city civ to begin with, and merely inconvenient to the Guard and Orks who can found cities anywhere. Extremely loving annoying as the Necrons, who can only found cities on specific locations randomly generated on the map.

That's really weird that the Necrons would be the ones most affected by that. Their entire schtick is that they're immortal not-Egyptian robots. Why would they care if a region is reduced to bedrock to build there? Or is it a case of the special location is a special tile type that gets overwritten with bedrock when the Tyranids do their game mechanic?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Morpheus posted:

There's a line Donald gives whenever you're near ingredients, and it sounds so weird, like he's pausing after every syllable.

"Looks. Like. We. Can. Find. In-Gree-Dee-Ents. Here!"

Someone post that panel from the manga with Donald explaining their version of the prime directive

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
World of Light is dragging down Smash Bros Ultimate for me, I get that there's hundreds of characters and each battle is handcrafted to try to match the spirit controlling the character but would it have killed you to make things about 30% shorter Nintendo? I resorted to being Bowser and dropkicking everything to death just to hurry things along for 80% of my run, I'm also going to put the final battle against both Galeem and Dharkon in here too.

I sure do love fighting two huge bosses who float above the arena and fill the screen with massive attacks on a near constant basis, this poo poo wasn't old back in Subspace Emissary during Brawl either, nope.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Not sure if I'll ever get around to KH3, but I watched the Let it Go clip on YouTube. It reminded me of that Tom and Jerry meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. A complete remake of the original, but Sora and his pals are in the background!

Isn't this just every Kingdom Hearts game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

That's really weird that the Necrons would be the ones most affected by that. Their entire schtick is that they're immortal not-Egyptian robots. Why would they care if a region is reduced to bedrock to build there? Or is it a case of the special location is a special tile type that gets overwritten with bedrock when the Tyranids do their game mechanic?

The latter. Necrons don't use food like the Guard and Marines and Orks, but they do use other resources.

You can still build on bedrock, as every structure does have a certain base output regardless of terrain, but it makes settling anywhere Tyranids have been far less efficient. And Necrons, while they use fewer different types of resources than Guard/Marines/Orks, do use a shitload more of those resources they do use.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

One of the worst parts of KH3 for me was the main trio interjecting inane non-contributions to every Disney movie conversation. It's like having a peanut gallery trio like the three gargoyles in Hunchback or the hyenas in the Lion King making stupid little non-jokes in the background of every. single. dialogue. You can so clearly see the seams between the Disney and KH3 writing in every world that it's distracting.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My problem is that it is way more obvious just how much the disney worlds don't matter. It was rather true in the previous games but its incredibly obvious in 3 and the game suffers a lot from it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean was one of my favourite worlds, because there's a lot of plot going on but Sora and pals are loving around in the Caribbean while it's happening. Like, yeah, there's some poo poo going on with Davey Jones at Dead Man's Cove but uh sorry I need to upgrade my ship and check out all the islands in this pseudo-Black Flag disney remake thanks.

My favorite part about that world was the Organization's complete loss for words at how Davey Jones could keep his body without having his heart - and then the Seinfeld-esque resolution when they find out that it's his literal heart that Jones is missing, not the...whatever the gently caress kingdom hearts hearts are supposed to be

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dropped Rise of the Tomb Raider after reinstalling it and will never play it again. What is the point of having dozens of different weapons and outfits with only minor differences between them? Why do you need so many material-types to upgrade your gear, when the previous game had the one currency? Why does this game so strongly remind me of Assassin's Creed III? Mountains of padding and none of it makes you stronger or mixes up the gameplay.

Evil Within 2 did everything better. You had to scrounge up every piece of loot to survive, not to fulfill a loving checklist, and your main-quest takes is more urgent than any faffing around, to the extent that you lose access to the open-world levels.

Lara is simply a terrible protagonist because she isn't afforded an interesting personality. It's not enough for a main-character to have name-recognition like Lara Croft, she needs to have a supporting-cast to spring off, or go through some development. Kassandra from Odyssey oozes character every time she curses, and the coughing-cowboy Arthur Morgan's struggle was more compelling than the leaden game he was in. The only notable thing about Lara was her friendship with Sam, which lesbian-subtext aside, brought up many interesting questions. How does a bloodthirsty treasure-hunting icon like Lara have friends? Unfortunately Sam is out of the picture come this game so Lara to rely on the some family-angst for sustenance. Why should I care that she misses her dead dad when she's probably killed dozens of fathers without comment?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I would love kingdom hearts if it actually had a 50/50 split of final fantasy/Disney locations. But, y'know.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm kind of split about the almost complete lack of Final Fantasy characters in KH3. On the one hand it makes more room for terrible original KH characters but on the other hand, how many memorable Final Fantasy characters have debuted in the past 14 years?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that in the Toy Story world Sora is mistaken for a videogame character for a mech game, that's cute. Also I'm curious if Andy ever got confused when booting up one of his videogames only to see a mysterious save file that certainly wasn't there the night before courtesy of Rex :3:.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

I'm kind of split about the almost complete lack of Final Fantasy characters in KH3. On the one hand it makes more room for terrible original KH characters but on the other hand, how many memorable Final Fantasy characters have debuted in the past 14 years?

Afro chocobo and Tough Mom

:colbert:

Also that in universe game looked fun ):

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

They can go older, rather than newer. Pull in Kain from IV, Exdeath from V, something like that.

But as for recent grabs, there's some solid characters in XIV, albeit characters that would be a little weird outside of their world. You've also got XV's crew; they're all terrible, but at least one of them is 'memorable'.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
KH3 shoulda had the Cup Ramen van from FFXV

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

They can go older, rather than newer. Pull in Kain from IV, Exdeath from V, something like that.

But as for recent grabs, there's some solid characters in XIV, albeit characters that would be a little weird outside of their world. You've also got XV's crew; they're all terrible, but at least one of them is 'memorable'.

Just go a bit wider than Final Fantasy. Have Emil from Nier turning up in his cool car and getting on really well with Goofy, an adventure with Adam Jensen in cyberpunk Hong Kong, or an summonable Max Caulfield who rewinds time mid battle.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

sebmojo posted:

Lol yep that was so dumb, i never got past the tutorial.

poo poo, me either. I thought I was the only one :) ... I just assumed the game must 100 percent own if scrubs like me couldn't even play it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I never liked the FF characters in KH. They felt weirdly out of place, moreso than the Disney folks, and I think they sort of were the gateway for the anime-rear end villains and plot we have now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kingdom hearts 1 literally ended with an anime rear end villain screaming about Darkness. It was dumb anime from the start man.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 5 just isn't as much fun as 4. And that's loving killing me, because I'm Airwolfing around in helicopter gunships and still thinking "Meh. This was better with the gyrocoptor and grenade launcher in 4."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Kingdom hearts 1 literally ended with an anime rear end villain screaming about Darkness. It was dumb anime from the start man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ojczn6rfvY

Spoilers for the end of KH1

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man Life is Strange 2 really covers a completely different more depressing topic doesn't it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Man Life is Strange 2 really covers a completely different more depressing topic doesn't it?

And that's...bad?

I haven't been up to date with it, I only heard Ep.1 didn't have any thrills like LiS. What does it cover, if you can explain without spoiling too much?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

And that's...bad?

I haven't been up to date with it, I only heard Ep.1 didn't have any thrills like LiS. What does it cover, if you can explain without spoiling too much?

The first one was a twee time travel thriller.

This one opens with good ol American racism when a cop shoots their dad because he's Hispanic and racism is a big part of the game so far.

It's not a bad thing but it's not what I was expecting coming from the previous parts of the series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sunswipe posted:

Far Cry 5 just isn't as much fun as 4. And that's loving killing me, because I'm Airwolfing around in helicopter gunships and still thinking "Meh. This was better with the gyrocoptor and grenade launcher in 4."

I feel like all of my feelings on Far Cry 5, both good and bad, are summarized by the fact that the airplanes can successfully pull off a loop after a 30 foot takeoff roll.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

This one opens with good ol American racism when a cop shoots their dad because he's Hispanic and racism is a big part of the game so far.

It's not a bad thing but it's not what I was expecting coming from the previous parts of the series.

That sounds good, it's a nice and topical change of subject.

Is there any fantastical macguffin on this one?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

That sounds good, it's a nice and topical change of subject.

Is there any fantastical macguffin on this one?

One of the brothers has telekinesis that's triggered during stress. follow-up to that he loses it after cop shoots dad and takes out the cop as well as a bunch of surrounded fences and shot

I was expecting like a mid 90s roadtrip movie and instead got 2016 America and it's racism

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Are we talking about the same LiS? The one that began with a teenager getting shot in a school bathroom, had a serial killer prey on young girls, involved a choice on assisted death, and had you attempt to prevent a suicide? And finally ended with a choice between the life of your closest friend or an entire town of people?

A 'twee time travel thriller', really?

Edit: not to mention the thread of depression that permeates a lot of the characters lives.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Are we talking about the same LiS? The one that began with a teenager getting shot in a school bathroom, had a serial killer prey on young girls, involved a choice on assisted death, and had you attempt to prevent a suicide? And finally ended with a choice between the life of your closest friend or an entire town of people?

A 'twee time travel thriller', really?

Edit: not to mention the thread of depression that permeates a lot of the characters lives.

Goons hate twee and the dialogue doesn't sound anything like any normal time-travelling teenager sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

RareAcumen posted:

Goons hate twee and the dialogue doesn't sound anything like any normal time-travelling teenager sounds like.

how many time-traveling teenagers have you met :)