Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Gorn Myson posted:

Haven't looked at this board in years, let alone this thread, but I've been playing around on Spotify a bit and two thoughts have hit me 1) Less Than Jake have aged extremely well 2) So has "Keep It Going" by the Mad Caddies.

edit; lol just realised that the last time I posted in this thread was just slightly over a decade ago. I'm old; LTJ and the Caddies still own.

Agreed with all of this, LTJ and Mad Caddies are very consistent considering their long careers, I can listen to pretty much anything by either of them and and I know it's gonna be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i like it a lot when ska bands expand their sound and work with other genres (Cheer Up is RBF's best album and you could tell the Aquabats wanted to be a new wave band all along but had to lose a bunch of members/close friends to get there), but Big D really lost the plot with Strictly Rude and never recovered.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Feels like a lot of bands dropped off the face of the earth five or so years ago. Big D, Mustard Plug, Catch 22, etc.

it's hard to keep a band together in your forties when you have like eight members who probably have families and day jobs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i saw jeff play some tunes

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

New Reel Big Fish continues to be not horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tsjw737BA

2018 is crazy

https://open.spotify.com/album/7oZd1PgW5rhdtVP8N8d6Wy?si=9YDny9paTWa1Rp32qoIvLA

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 22, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Well that's because that's just a Forces of Evil song that was already good 15 years ago

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dang I didn't even know this was out, thanks!

EDIT: Weirdly, Amazon MP3 lists the release date as yesterday, but still has it in "preorder" status and the pricing is screwy. Preorder price: $11.49. "Today you will pay: $18.04 for all available songs. The remaining balance of $11.49 will be charged as music from this album becomes available." Yeah... I'm still buying ska records in 2018, but I'm gonna wait til this gets sorted out.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

esperantinc posted:

Post a list! I'm all for plugging holes in the "weird ska" part of my record collection.

edit:

I have a copy of Pezcore, on vinyl. Rhetoric Records release. Not the yellow, not the picture disc, not the test. Just the first one on black.
I've seen this starting at, like, $40?

And I have a Skanikin' in the Pit on vinyl. Hopeless records. Bunch of American ska bands and a bunch of Japanese ska bands.
I've seen this around $20?

I don't think I've played either, ever. And if I have, it was once.

I'll keep digging up more. I have 90's punk, too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fateo McMurray posted:

New Reel Big Fish continues to be not horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tsjw737BA

Had to hear it myself to believe it. Last time I saw them in concert they had this proto-top 40 thing going on and I had written them off entirely.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 27, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite American ska album is Dub 56 by the Toasters. It was the first one I heard.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think my favourite American ska album is Dub 56 by the Toasters. It was the first one I heard.

everyone's favorite is God Bless Satan, that is the correct answer

Ferrule posted:

I'll keep digging up more. I have 90's punk, too.

going off this, i've been slowly ridding myself of my record collection and still have a couple ska records i could part with at "friend prices" to the people who actually post in this thread and promise to play them. ska thread outsiders will get low preference and pay market price:

Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All / A Match And Some Gasoline [double LP] Discogs Link
These two albums were never originally issued on vinyl, and were compiled into this gatefold double LP in 2008. Color vinyl. I've played it a few times but it should still play like new.

I also own the entire BTMI discography in first pressings, but I'm keeping those except for THESE TWO (Fateo McMurrays not allowed):

Bomb the Music Industry - Scrambles [blue vinyl] Discogs Link
Run of 300. Jeff gave me this one (along with a big sweaty hug) at the Mad Hatter in Covington, KY after I helped carry their touring trumpet player to the bathroom to barf, and offered to throw down on their gas and food. Keep in mind this was after everyone in the band drank themselves to tears. And after the sound man cut them off and turned the lights out before they were done. And after they learned there was no Skyline or Gold Star Chili open late. So yeah, I'm very sentimental over it, but it has not been played in years. And records are made to be played. The packaging on this one is die cut and very flimsy (but in great condition) and I'm going to have to be creative to get it to you safely.

Vacation [hot pink/orange haze vinyl] Discogs Link
YEAH BOY YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS. Only 250 pressed, this is the rarest version. Hidden track after the runout on the B-side. Played a few times but I DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM OH NO. Would trade for non reissue 2tone records, UK releases preferred. Or make an offer. I'm not trying to rip you off, I will just wind up lowballing myself because I'm not very entrepreneurial (read: mean).

pm me and I'll take photos

Misc fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 27, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

happy throwdown eve

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

happy throwdown eve

If you weren't at O'Brien's last night to see Chicago's premiere Bosstones cover band Toxic Toast you did Throwdown Night 0 wrong

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Misc posted:

everyone's favorite is God Bless Satan, that is the correct answer

To this day I can't eat tuna without singing the song

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
There were some visitors to the throwdown

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FauxBats

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the interrupters covered jingle bells for the Aggretsuko Christmas Special and Tim Timebomb just burps all over it

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Was it broadcast on Infowars

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

dicky wore my hat

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Are the Pilfers going to tour with The Toasters next year or are they doing one solitary show together in upstate NY? The Pilfers facebook didn't list any tour dates but had a poster for that up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Random, but funny

https://www.economist.com/prospero/2019/02/04/ska-still-has-things-to-say?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/skastillhasthingstosayafourthwave

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just found out about the BOTAR orchestra shows...having already committed to going to Brooklyn in May for Slackfest - the weekend after the BOTAR show in Chicago.

Despite getting to be too old for this kind of poo poo we're going to try doing both, assuming my wife is able to get time off.

Also if anyone's going to be in Brooklyn that weekend (5/17-5/19) I bought three show passes for the entire weekend, but we'll only be able to make it to Friday and Saturday (the earlybird weekend passes were $2 cheaper than just the nights we'd need.) If anyone's interested in the Sunday shows PM me, the tickets will just go to waste otherwise (e: free for the asking if that wasn't clear.)

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 11, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1094949694969647106

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

:monocle:

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
It’s a bloody good album!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

My friend just introduced me to a podcast called 23min of Ska. It's exactly what it sounds like. No intros, no commercials, just 23 minutes of back to back Ska.

A lot of the episodes feature new bands/songs, which is not a thing I thought was still happening.

Anyhow check it out if you want. https://radjose.wordpress.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mods, fix the thread title. The date is 30 years too late.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

snackcakes posted:

My friend just introduced me to a podcast called 23min of Ska. It's exactly what it sounds like. No intros, no commercials, just 23 minutes of back to back Ska.

A lot of the episodes feature new bands/songs, which is not a thing I thought was still happening.

Anyhow check it out if you want. https://radjose.wordpress.com/

This rules, thanks for posting it!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We Are the Union is playing shows again and now I'm just looking up bands I used to see at local shows and missing fatter than Albert

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

We Are the Union is playing shows again and now I'm just looking up bands I used to see at local shows and missing fatter than Albert

Fatter than Albert was real good. They had a great mix of jazz influence with hardcore, almost-emo release to their songs. They never sounded like just another, by the numbers third wave group, especially on that second album.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just saw We Are The Union with Kill Lincoln and Catbite in Baltimore the other day, all 3 were fantastic. I don't know how much any of them tour anymore but I pretty much never pass up a chance to see Kill Lincoln and I'm hoping WATU comes back around soon.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
FTA got me the first time I saw them at Ska Weekend.Their guitar player broke a string and they sort of messed around while trying to find one to finish their set.Was this awesome laid back almost jam session that was a blast.

I got to see them a couple more times before they folded, including a random house show here in Indianapolis with Stuck Lucky.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I want to say I saw We Are the Union a few times in Boston but I might be confusing them with Void Union

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I miss The Know How.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

FTA got me the first time I saw them at Ska Weekend.Their guitar player broke a string and they sort of messed around while trying to find one to finish their set.Was this awesome laid back almost jam session that was a blast.

I got to see them a couple more times before they folded, including a random house show here in Indianapolis with Stuck Lucky.

The last time I saw FTA was right before they folded, at a lovely venue in Syracuse. They had the new singer and the place was packed (so maybe fifty people??? Local shows sucked) and my friends kept asking them to play Erin's until finally the new singer was like guys I don't know the words and my buddy was like yeah but we do so d Ray threw a mic into the crowd and they went right into it

So much fun

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/trumpet-player-stuck-traffic-turns-lovely-ska-band-okay-punk-band/

quote:

Other witnesses noted that small changes, such as the guitarist turning up his amplifier to compensate for the missing horn, and the drummer loosening the tuning on his snare drum, played a major factor. When singer Benny Henderson removed his “stupid fedora and dorky suspenders,” reports confirm the band’s transformation was complete.
i wish there was a :911: with a checkerboard and a crying trumpet

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
WATU had a great set at St Vitus a few weeks ago, but I only caught the tail end of Kill Lincoln's set.

Was down in New Orleans and saw a bunch of Community Records stuff in some stores and it made me really miss FTA/Stucky Lucky/A Billion Ernies/Arm the Poor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New Buck-O-Nine single is apparently out.

That sentence feels weird to type.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm just starting to give it a listen, but Buck-O-Nine has a new album out: https://www.amazon.com/FunDayMental-Explicit-Buck-Nine/dp/B07PKRZW24/ref=sr_1_2

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

WATU had a great set at St Vitus a few weeks ago, but I only caught the tail end of Kill Lincoln's set.

Was down in New Orleans and saw a bunch of Community Records stuff in some stores and it made me really miss FTA/Stucky Lucky/A Billion Ernies/Arm the Poor.

Never forget when we saw FTA right before they broke up, with the new singer, and we kept asking them to play Erin's all night and finally the singer goes "guys, I don't know it" and my buddy goes yeah but we do so d-ray just has him toss us a mic and we went apeshit on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
We did it y'all. Fourth wave is here.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8508727/ska-lives-fourth-wave-interrupters-pick-it-up