Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made naan

Cheap and delicious. Hits that "I want to make bread" itch without too much effort. Makes soup a meal!

drat that looks tasty, how'd you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

C-Euro posted:

drat that looks tasty, how'd you do it?

https://www.budgetbytes.com/naan/

Next time I may omit the egg. Made them a bit rubbery, but it certainly garunteed it all stuck together. Oh, and the salt needs to be doubled to a whole tsp, not half.

Make sure to knead it until the ball is shiny and only slightly sticky, too much flour makes them tough.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Suspect Bucket posted:

Next time I may omit the egg. Made them a bit rubbery, but it certainly garunteed it all stuck together. Oh, and the salt needs to be doubled to a whole tsp, not half.

Make sure to knead it until the ball is shiny and only slightly sticky, too much flour makes them tough.

This is really close to the recipe I use, but I usually mince up some garlic and add cumin seeds to mine.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Suspect Bucket posted:

Check your sources. They got their recipe from someone called "the novice chef" Some stay at home mum that cooks by trial and error. I wonder why you would go for that than some Indian cooking website or cook?
Never heard of an egg being used before, and they use way too much oil and yogurt.
I do something similar (pitas) - the main difference is no yogurt and ghee like an Indian naan.
Tips are_ always rehydrate yeast in lukewarm water (30C) for 10min or so.
Optional feeding it with 1tsp sugar. Not necessary maybe as yeast are happy to feed on flour and sugar does affect flavour, but all yeast loves sugar so may affect the rise - especially if you want a split like pita.
A bit of wholemeal, or bread flour, or bread improver helps it taste more like a bread rather than a quickbread/muffin/pancake (eggs lol)/scone"biscuit"

Like if you did this:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016071-homemade-pita-bread
and removed 3 Tbsp water to be replaced with yogurt, replaced the olive oil with ghee or veg oil and added some Indian spices, like nigella seeds is normal, but toasted cumin or sesame would be good, that's how I would do naan.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 16, 2018

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re: budget bulk cooking without boring yourself

I came from a family of 6, and would help my mum make dinner. Then my husband moved in, and even though my sister and older brothers weren’t there anymore, he would eat for 2. So still large meals. Then the divorce hit back in 2016, and I kept doing what I always did. One fridge clean out to get rid of spoiled food or meals I never got to finish later, and I knew I had to have a reset. This was the first time in my life that I was truly living alone.

- re: buying. I started to take a picture of my fridge and pantry. I found it too tedious to make a current inventory list, and I was in pretty severe depression. If I could muster up the energy to go grocery shopping so that I can get something more healthy than gin, cigarettes, self loathing, and maybe some saltines or whatever, I needed to move on that urgently, for fear that I’d sink back into depression before making it out the door. The snapshots helped me have a quick visual reference for what I already have, so I could prevent double buying

- get the basics, and then pad out with cool extras. At the time, I needed a bit of comfort food, so I’d make sure I had a couple of lbs of pasta, some jars of sauce (I know how to make it from scratch, but couldn’t depend on having the motivation; those jars of sauce kept me from shame eating microwaved tater tots on more than one occasion), potatoes, broccoli, some frozen veg, tomatoes, lettuce, and lemons or limes. Then I’d grab a bit of whatever herbs looked good, various alium (garlic, chives, scallion, shallot, red onion, etc) in the smallest amounts needed. It’s just me, and having on hand a 3-lb bag of onions would result in rotten onions. If there was anything that caught my eye, I’d get a bit of it. Sometimes that was a bunch of grapes that looked enticing. Sometimes it was a pint of strawberries. One time it was yautia. Never made that mistake again.

- get home and basic cook your cooked food. For example, I’d sauté my garlic all at once in some oil, and put it in a small box in the fridge. Same for the regular onion. I’d boil all the potatoes at once. I’d chop my broccoli and blanch it. Same goes for pretty much any other cooked thing. Chop it, cook it, store it. This was every shopping trip. Usually the momentum of getting food for myself would carry me through to getting it processed when I got home. I’d boil the pasta, toss in a bit of oil, and put it in the fridge. Remember the jars of sauce? This pre cooked pasta was various meals throughout when I was too depressed to cook.

- During the week, use up your hoard. If I’d made a specific recipe out of all that food, I’d have gotten bored by day 3. Instead what I would do for each night was throw on a pot of rice in the rice cooker. Then I’d warm up a can of beans or tofu, and do a tarka on top (mustard seed, cumin seed fried in oil, add the cooked onion, add the cooked garlic, some turmeric, and dump a can of beans atop its head, garnish with cilantro or whatever). Then for the side dish, I’d take a bit of potato plus whatever veg looked good, and do a quick sauté in oil, with some dried herbs to make a quick hash situation. Some nights I’d use my frozen veg, because that’s what I was in the mood for. Other times I’d toss some broccoli in oil, some of my cooked garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes, and nuke it for 2 minutes to warm it. By the time the rice cooker beeped, dinner is ready, and the leftovers went into a Tupperware for lunch the next day.

The reason I did it this way, is because I knew exactly how much I was hungry for that night. I knew I can’t eat more than like 1/4 cup of each veg side dish at a time. It made portioning out the components /possible/, to say nothing of easy.

Basically, I’d precook my components, and only bring them together at the last minute. Using this method, I could knock up dinner in like 15 minutes. On nights when that wasn’t feasible, pasta with some sauce on it only took 5 minutes in the microwave. If i had to boil water on the nights that I defaulted to pasta, I’d have skipped it and eaten some saltines over the sink with a gin in my other hand.

It also kept things varied. I can eat the same thing multiple times, but rarely can I do it in a row. Having that variation in what was in front of me every day kept up my spirits when I badly needed that.

It also meant that after a long day of work, I don’t have to clear the decks and get out cutting board, knives, etc etc, because I’d get home so exhausted in those early days of the divorce (I was working 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs), that I wouldn’t have motivation to cook anything if the barrier to entry was that high a jump.

Also, if you gently caress it up the first few times, don’t beat yourself up like I did. Resetting your basic tendencies can be hard, and frustrating. This is a process I built for myself over the course of like a year. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, and had nights where I just ordered takeout, because everything was such a massive fail. The ever patient lady at the Chinese restaurant would just yell out my order when I’d walk in the door by the end of that year, because I’d get the same thing every time.

Use my fuckups to avoid yours.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

dino. posted:

Amazing tips on cooking with depression

That is some real poo poo, dino. I hope that you are continuing to recover and maintain. Your tips and recipes on here have been as much a help to my cooking as any other famous chef or food blogger. Thank you so much!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

fr0id posted:

That is some real poo poo, dino. I hope that you are continuing to recover and maintain. Your tips and recipes on here have been as much a help to my cooking as any other famous chef or food blogger. Thank you so much!

My doctor was unimpressed with my cholesterol, but to be fair, she spent like 2 hours talking to me about how to modify my diet and try to get myself sorted, so I can't get mad at her. This was the first annual checkup I'd had since before the divorce back in 2016. SO many things have changed. I am making twice the money with half the expenses. I still get depressed, but nowhere near to that level of desperately just trying to survive. I feel like a lot of us only show the "ideal" situations here. The stuff that we took real time and effort to do. But I also feel like if we don't discuss those moments where you are trying, and failing, and struggling to stay in your poo poo rear end home that you can barely afford, while still not dying? Everyone will think that they're the only one who goes through that.

AND IT'S NOT TRUE.

The only reason I share my struggles and my successes is because I've been there. I've been so depressed to be a human, that only the promise of the free snacks at work could haul my rear end out of bed. And then I'd get to work, and have to work so hard on pretending to be OK that I'd lose my appetite, and just drink herbal tea. And then I get home, and all I want to do is crawl into that comfy looking bed, and have a good long cry, but I'm /starving/. After that happens to you night after night, months in a row, you figure out ways to cope with it.

Like I said. I know I gently caress up too. But if we work together, we can maybe help each other find what works, and maybe get to a good place where we can blend functional with able.

Also, to hear you say that /anything/ I've wrote helped you in any way makes me feel like I matter. Which then inspires me to keep on sharing what I have to offer. People who produce words also need people to read them! Thank you for sharing in my pain and my journey all this time.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
:glomp:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fuckin drat. Those are some amazing tips, and not just for when one is depressed, I can immediately see some things that can help when I'm stressed with work, my wife is stressed with the baby, we're both frustrated with the preschooler, and whoops guess it's fast food night again.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

silvergoose posted:

Fuckin drat. Those are some amazing tips, and not just for when one is depressed, I can immediately see some things that can help when I'm stressed with work, my wife is stressed with the baby, we're both frustrated with the preschooler, and whoops guess it's fast food night again.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

If y’all manage to keep it together while having a toddler running around, I’d say you’ve earned some fast food. :cheers:

For me, the lightbulb went on when I had accidentally bought a way bigger bunch of collard greens than I thought, and I didn’t want to go back to the store to exchange it. If I kept it for as long as it’d take me to eat it, it’d wilt and get gross.

So I chopped it all up at once, gave it a quick blanch, and did that Julia Child thing of separating the stem (and chopping that finely), and squeezing the bejeebers out of the leaves. I chopped it all up at once, and put it in little baggies in my fridge. Damned if I didn’t end up using it way more often than I’d normally do, because it was already prepared.

And the other thing I had to tell myself is that even if I buy organic free range broccoli that was gently bathed in only the finest spring water, I’m still spending less than a lovely fast food sandwich which doesn’t really do much but throw filler crap into myself. One subway sandwich with guacamole and the veggie patty ends up running me like $10. Even with their inflated prices, $10 will get me a fair bit of produce at the Whole Foods (and they deliver via Amazon Prime Now!), and that’ll clear quite a few meals.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've been struggling with depression(long as I can remember) and kind of an on-again-off-again love-hate relationship with alcohol(the last decade), and yeah, I can definitely empathize with you there, dino.. Good to see it's seeming to get better, and I hope it continues that way.

For me, cooking was a hobby that helped to lift me out of depression. I enjoy cooking good food and sharing it with people who enjoy eating it just as much. I also enjoy a challenge, and cooking great food on a budget, aside from the times when it's necessary to live, is a fun way to show some creativity and find new tastes and techniques.

Oh, dino., while I'm thinking about it, how much oil did you use when storing the pasta? And what was your method for reheating/refreshing it for the meal? I've been meaning to start doing something like that for a while now so i have less boiling to do.

And to contribute, here's a couple of small tips I can share:

1.) Pretty much any produce you buy that's leafy, green, or prone to wilting can be saved for a few days longer by wrapping the thing in a very slightly damp paper towel, then putting it in a non-sealed plastic bag in the fridge. I do this with green onions, broccoli crowns, herbs, and any type of greens. It works especially well if you buy from a store that has those misting spray heads in their produce displays to keep the stuff moist. If you have that, you basically just take the veg, wrap loosely in a paper towel, then store that in a loosely wrapped plastic bag. My theory is that the paper towel absorbs the surface moisture and helps to kind of evenly distribute it around the plant as needed, helping to keep it fresher for a bit longer.

2.) Search out quick sauce recipes. Not just tomato sauce, but anything taste you can think of. A quick sauce thrown together on top of quick pasta and/or veggies can be a life saver. especially so if the sauce is freezable so you can make it ahead. One of my favorites is Budget Bytes' dragon noodles, because of all the variants there are. The sauce is 3 ingredients and it can be modded to hell and back. Don't like it too spicy? Add less sriracha. Want a richer sauce? Add peanut butter. Want more texture? Go sambal olek. Thai style? Sub fish sauce for soy, up the brown sugar a bit, toss in lime, basil, cilantro, and go shrimp instead of eggs if you care to. It's loving magic, folks. Another example is a quick cream sauce. You can see a decent example here, where you get a mac n cheese sauce out of butter, evaporated milk, and a few different flavors add-ins. But you don't have to go cayenne and mustard if you don't want to. You can add lemon juice/zest, parsley, garlic, and pepper for a quick lemon pepper cream sauce for seafood. Which is exactly what I did for some shrimp and crab ravioli I picked up the other day at Aldi. Toss in some peas and onions and we're good to go.

3.) I can't think of a third quick and dirty food prep tip right now, so I'll offer up a cooking-at-work tip: let's say you have a homemade burrito for lunch. Or maybe a leftover chunk of lasagna. Or really just anything you want crispy. Let's also assume you have access to both a microwave, and a toaster oven. You could toss your food in the toaster oven to heat up, and that'll get it nice and crisp like you like it, but that'd take like 30 minutes, and that's your whole damned lunch break. Well, gently caress, you could also give up and microwave that poo poo and have soggy, lovely food. No, instead, do this: Turn the toaster oven on to 350-425 to preheat as soon as you get into the room. Microwave your food for half to 3/4ths of the total time needed. This'll get it warm, but not hot. Now toss in into the toaster oven for a couple minutes to crisp and finish heating up. I make frozen burritos, thaw them in the fridge the night before, then nuke them for 30 seconds a side and toss them into the toaster oven for 1 minute a side and get crispy burritos for lunch. If I want them golden brown and crunchy, I go 2 minutes a side. In 5 minutes, I have a hot, crispy burrito that feels like it spent 30 minutes in a toaster oven.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been struggling with depression(long as I can remember) and kind of an on-again-off-again love-hate relationship with alcohol(the last decade), and yeah, I can definitely empathize with you there, dino.. Good to see it's seeming to get better, and I hope it continues that way.

For me, cooking was a hobby that helped to lift me out of depression. I enjoy cooking good food and sharing it with people who enjoy eating it just as much. I also enjoy a challenge, and cooking great food on a budget, aside from the times when it's necessary to live, is a fun way to show some creativity and find new tastes and techniques.

Oh, dino., while I'm thinking about it, how much oil did you use when storing the pasta? And what was your method for reheating/refreshing it for the meal? I've been meaning to start doing something like that for a while now so i have less boiling to do.

And to contribute, here's a couple of small tips I can share:

1.) Pretty much any produce you buy that's leafy, green, or prone to wilting can be saved for a few days longer by wrapping the thing in a very slightly damp paper towel, then putting it in a non-sealed plastic bag in the fridge. I do this with green onions, broccoli crowns, herbs, and any type of greens. It works especially well if you buy from a store that has those misting spray heads in their produce displays to keep the stuff moist. If you have that, you basically just take the veg, wrap loosely in a paper towel, then store that in a loosely wrapped plastic bag. My theory is that the paper towel absorbs the surface moisture and helps to kind of evenly distribute it around the plant as needed, helping to keep it fresher for a bit longer.

2.) Search out quick sauce recipes. Not just tomato sauce, but anything taste you can think of. A quick sauce thrown together on top of quick pasta and/or veggies can be a life saver. especially so if the sauce is freezable so you can make it ahead. One of my favorites is Budget Bytes' dragon noodles, because of all the variants there are. The sauce is 3 ingredients and it can be modded to hell and back. Don't like it too spicy? Add less sriracha. Want a richer sauce? Add peanut butter. Want more texture? Go sambal olek. Thai style? Sub fish sauce for soy, up the brown sugar a bit, toss in lime, basil, cilantro, and go shrimp instead of eggs if you care to. It's loving magic, folks. Another example is a quick cream sauce. You can see a decent example here, where you get a mac n cheese sauce out of butter, evaporated milk, and a few different flavors add-ins. But you don't have to go cayenne and mustard if you don't want to. You can add lemon juice/zest, parsley, garlic, and pepper for a quick lemon pepper cream sauce for seafood. Which is exactly what I did for some shrimp and crab ravioli I picked up the other day at Aldi. Toss in some peas and onions and we're good to go.

3.) I can't think of a third quick and dirty food prep tip right now, so I'll offer up a cooking-at-work tip: let's say you have a homemade burrito for lunch. Or maybe a leftover chunk of lasagna. Or really just anything you want crispy. Let's also assume you have access to both a microwave, and a toaster oven. You could toss your food in the toaster oven to heat up, and that'll get it nice and crisp like you like it, but that'd take like 30 minutes, and that's your whole damned lunch break. Well, gently caress, you could also give up and microwave that poo poo and have soggy, lovely food. No, instead, do this: Turn the toaster oven on to 350-425 to preheat as soon as you get into the room. Microwave your food for half to 3/4ths of the total time needed. This'll get it warm, but not hot. Now toss in into the toaster oven for a couple minutes to crisp and finish heating up. I make frozen burritos, thaw them in the fridge the night before, then nuke them for 30 seconds a side and toss them into the toaster oven for 1 minute a side and get crispy burritos for lunch. If I want them golden brown and crunchy, I go 2 minutes a side. In 5 minutes, I have a hot, crispy burrito that feels like it spent 30 minutes in a toaster oven.
gently caress, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been through the wringer too. D:

So for the pasta, I use maybe s couple glugs of a neural oil. I think it winds up being like a tablespoon for a pound. You want enough so the pasta doesn’t stick but not so much that the thing is oily.

For to reheat, I’ll throw some of the refrigerated pasta in a microwave safe dish. Then I’ll put on a scant few TB of water. Then like juuuuuust enough pasta sauce to cover. Nuke for 3 minutes and you’re good.

If you go through a lot of herbs and lettuce and such, the lettuce keeper from progressive is a lifesaver. I’ve managed to keep romaine for 3 weeks. In fact, the lettuce gets even more crisp than it started. Best $10 I’ve spent.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Fried corn mush

1c cornmeal
2c milk
2c water
Salt
Butter

Boil 2c water and 1c milk in a saucepan. Mix cornmeal and remaining milk and add it to the pan a bit at a time. Stir over low heat for as long as you like. Salt to taste and pour into a greased loaf pan.

After it sets up (I usually do mine over night on the counter) put thin slices in a hot skillet until they're real crispy and colorful. Serve with syrup or jelly or sour cream for all I care.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean that's more or less arepas, right?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

silvergoose posted:

I mean that's more or less arepas, right?

Arepas use masarepa.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Rationale posted:

Fried corn mush

1c cornmeal
2c milk
2c water
Salt
Butter

Boil 2c water and 1c milk in a saucepan. Mix cornmeal and remaining milk and add it to the pan a bit at a time. Stir over low heat for as long as you like. Salt to taste and pour into a greased loaf pan.

After it sets up (I usually do mine over night on the counter) put thin slices in a hot skillet until they're real crispy and colorful. Serve with syrup or jelly or sour cream for all I care.

Omfg I grew up with this. As an adult I always thought you made it from a tube of ($$) polenta. I'm making this in the morning. Thanks goon you made my night

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I made that a week or so ago since I used to have it a bunch when I was a kid.

The smart move is to skip the mush and just make jalapeño corn bread.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I tried to make fried polenta from scratch once, and I don't quite remember what I did wrong, but I do remember it spattering violently in my oiled pan and sticking like a motherfucker. Honestly, it was traumatic. What's the best way not to gently caress it up like I did?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DasNeonLicht posted:

I tried to make fried polenta from scratch once, and I don't quite remember what I did wrong, but I do remember it spattering violently in my oiled pan and sticking like a motherfucker. Honestly, it was traumatic. What's the best way not to gently caress it up like I did?

Probably a lower temperature and less oil. You're not looking to deep fry it, just make sure there's enough fat to really get some good browning going, like a 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch layer of oil. It'll release of its own accord once it's properly browned. Flip, do the same thing to the other side, enjoy. I would do this on a medium-high heat, like a 6/10 on my electric range.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

neogeo0823 posted:

This me, plus ten years cooking professionally, and I’ve never been able to quite mesh work prep with home cooking. What you laid out made eeeeeverything click in my brain, thanks so much and I wanna echo the glad to hear shits good!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

DasNeonLicht posted:

how long did you let it sit between cooking and grilling?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Rationale posted:

how long did you let it sit between cooking and grilling?

It was a few years ago, so I don't quite remember, but I think I let it sit in the fridge for an hour or something

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

DasNeonLicht posted:

It was a few years ago, so I don't quite remember, but I think I let it sit in the fridge for an hour or something

oh, hell. that might have been it or maybe too much oil.

Ive been makin old school chili out of soup bones et cetera and the peppers are killing the fam. is there any way to toast chilis without fumigating the house?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Use the microwave 10 seconds at a time, turning them over.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Quick and probably stupid question: how old can I go on a crock pot. I found approximately a gazillion at the Goodwill but they're definitely from the early-mid 70s at the latest. Not sure how safe that'd be considering the point is to set it and forget it while you go to class or whatever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I never got this paranoia. You see it in the sous vide thread too. If poo poo breaks you'll be out of a meal. If there's a fire it'll be a standard electrical outlet fire which has no more likelyhood to occur with a crock pot.

/E - trying to find any instances of a crock pot fire just spoiled a TV show I likely will never watch. Be wary goons.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing to check if you're going vintage is the cord and the plug. Give it a good long look and see if it has any fraying, dry-rot on the cord or around where the cord meets the plug. Do the tines of the plug feel firmly affixed in the plastic, or are they wiggly? When you plug it in (and for god's sake, plug it in before you walk out of the store with it), does it feel firmly attached to the wall outlet, or does it jiggle around?

Any sign of wiggling or jiggling should give you a reason to take a pass. Any dry-rot that might expose bare wire should be a red flag.

Otherwise, it's probably good to go.

That said, the internal thermostat that causes it to keep "perfect temperature" might not be as good as on a newer model, and if something's going to "break" on one of those, my guess it would be the thermostat. It's probably not going to cause a fire, but it might overcook/undercook the meal you prepped.

I'm not going to tell you to avoid or seek out a vintage crockpot, but it's worth bearing in mind that you can get a new one for about the price of 5 to 10 meals you would cook in it, if that helps put this in perspective. Looks like the price on a good 6qt model is about ~30 bucks from Amazon. New models will have better timers/temp control on them, and will generally be easier to clean. (Most modern slow cookers have lift-out crocks that can be shoved in a sink or dishwasher instead of the 70's models which required you to carefully wash it out without getting the exterior wet.)

But listen, if you're cash strapped and the thrift store has one for $5 and it looks in good shape, though - go for it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anecdotally, a couple apartments ago, the neighbors we shared a wall with had an apartment fire that was caused because they plugged an AC that had to be from the 60s or 70s and didn't have a GFCI into an outlet that had no ground prong hole, and let it run while they left for the day. The wiring in the wall heated up, somehow without tripping the circuit breaker, and a fire broke out that burned up their whole apartment and could've gotten ours had we not gotten home right when we did.

Now, there's a lot of qualifiers to that story. it was an AC unit, the circuit breaker should absolutely have blown, there absolutely should've been a GFCI somewhere in the circuit, and the whole place was run by slum lords that were later forced to get bought out by another company. My point is that the whole thing was from an old piece of electronic hardware that was probably purchased from a goodwill, not thoroughly tested, and then used in an unsafe manner. So I guess the moral is that you should make sure you're taking all the proper precautions before leaving yourself open to disaster.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Weltlich posted:

The biggest thing to check if you're going vintage is the cord

Otherwise, it's probably good

But listen, if you're cash strapped and the thrift store has one for $5 and it looks in good shape, though - go for it.

Thanks folks.

I figure the next pot shaped thing I wanna throw any money more than 5 bucks at is a Dutch oven so much ill probably go back and get the older than me murder device. The sweet release of death sounds delicious tbh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got my current crock pot for $3 in a garage sale and it:s probably at least as old as I am, yet she's still going strong. As long as all of the external electrical parts look OK I don't see a reason to be overly paranoid. Maybe run it a couple times when you know you'll be home as a test run?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If you want to make sure it's heating food quickly enough to be safe, heat two quarts of water on low in your new-to-you Crockpot for 2 hours. If it's at least 185°F you're good. Try it on high as well just to make sure all the heating elements are working.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

dino. posted:

Re: budget bulk cooking without boring yourself

I came from a family of 6, and would help my mum make dinner. Then my husband moved in, and even though my sister and older brothers weren’t there anymore, he would eat for 2. So still large meals. Then the divorce hit back in 2016, and I kept doing what I always did. One fridge clean out to get rid of spoiled food or meals I never got to finish later, and I knew I had to have a reset. This was the first time in my life that I was truly living alone.

- re: buying. I started to take a picture of my fridge and pantry. I found it too tedious to make a current inventory list, and I was in pretty severe depression. If I could muster up the energy to go grocery shopping so that I can get something more healthy than gin, cigarettes, self loathing, and maybe some saltines or whatever, I needed to move on that urgently, for fear that I’d sink back into depression before making it out the door. The snapshots helped me have a quick visual reference for what I already have, so I could prevent double buying

- get the basics, and then pad out with cool extras. At the time, I needed a bit of comfort food, so I’d make sure I had a couple of lbs of pasta, some jars of sauce (I know how to make it from scratch, but couldn’t depend on having the motivation; those jars of sauce kept me from shame eating microwaved tater tots on more than one occasion), potatoes, broccoli, some frozen veg, tomatoes, lettuce, and lemons or limes. Then I’d grab a bit of whatever herbs looked good, various alium (garlic, chives, scallion, shallot, red onion, etc) in the smallest amounts needed. It’s just me, and having on hand a 3-lb bag of onions would result in rotten onions. If there was anything that caught my eye, I’d get a bit of it. Sometimes that was a bunch of grapes that looked enticing. Sometimes it was a pint of strawberries. One time it was yautia. Never made that mistake again.

- get home and basic cook your cooked food. For example, I’d sauté my garlic all at once in some oil, and put it in a small box in the fridge. Same for the regular onion. I’d boil all the potatoes at once. I’d chop my broccoli and blanch it. Same goes for pretty much any other cooked thing. Chop it, cook it, store it. This was every shopping trip. Usually the momentum of getting food for myself would carry me through to getting it processed when I got home. I’d boil the pasta, toss in a bit of oil, and put it in the fridge. Remember the jars of sauce? This pre cooked pasta was various meals throughout when I was too depressed to cook.

- During the week, use up your hoard. If I’d made a specific recipe out of all that food, I’d have gotten bored by day 3. Instead what I would do for each night was throw on a pot of rice in the rice cooker. Then I’d warm up a can of beans or tofu, and do a tarka on top (mustard seed, cumin seed fried in oil, add the cooked onion, add the cooked garlic, some turmeric, and dump a can of beans atop its head, garnish with cilantro or whatever). Then for the side dish, I’d take a bit of potato plus whatever veg looked good, and do a quick sauté in oil, with some dried herbs to make a quick hash situation. Some nights I’d use my frozen veg, because that’s what I was in the mood for. Other times I’d toss some broccoli in oil, some of my cooked garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes, and nuke it for 2 minutes to warm it. By the time the rice cooker beeped, dinner is ready, and the leftovers went into a Tupperware for lunch the next day.

The reason I did it this way, is because I knew exactly how much I was hungry for that night. I knew I can’t eat more than like 1/4 cup of each veg side dish at a time. It made portioning out the components /possible/, to say nothing of easy.

Basically, I’d precook my components, and only bring them together at the last minute. Using this method, I could knock up dinner in like 15 minutes. On nights when that wasn’t feasible, pasta with some sauce on it only took 5 minutes in the microwave. If i had to boil water on the nights that I defaulted to pasta, I’d have skipped it and eaten some saltines over the sink with a gin in my other hand.

It also kept things varied. I can eat the same thing multiple times, but rarely can I do it in a row. Having that variation in what was in front of me every day kept up my spirits when I badly needed that.

It also meant that after a long day of work, I don’t have to clear the decks and get out cutting board, knives, etc etc, because I’d get home so exhausted in those early days of the divorce (I was working 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs), that I wouldn’t have motivation to cook anything if the barrier to entry was that high a jump.

Also, if you gently caress it up the first few times, don’t beat yourself up like I did. Resetting your basic tendencies can be hard, and frustrating. This is a process I built for myself over the course of like a year. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, and had nights where I just ordered takeout, because everything was such a massive fail. The ever patient lady at the Chinese restaurant would just yell out my order when I’d walk in the door by the end of that year, because I’d get the same thing every time.

Use my fuckups to avoid yours.

This post just popped into mind while I was working out what to cook, however many years after reading it. I think something clicked. Thanks Dino, for the many recipe advices offered on the forum - and sharing the story that goes with this post.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Holy crap I don’t even remember writing that! But, I still do all those things, and it’s keeping me fed. I was doing fine for a bit, and then the quarantine hit and I started losing any sense of self. As extroverted as I am, I tend to isolate in general. Forcible isolation has meant that I’ll go multiple days without opening my front door, using my voice, or generally behaving like a functioning human.

But! I’ve become really good at being on top of the cooking. :cheers:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Take care of yourself dino. I know this sort of thing is easier for grumpy introverts like me, but struggling with not getting the human contact you need is very, very valid.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It's not really related to the thread, but there's a few goon discords that are always happy to help get digital human contact going for people. I run a minecraft server with a very chill(but not incredibly active) discord, located here, minecraft play not required. There's also this goon game/discord group, which is more active and has a bigger variety of games, if you're into that sorta thing. Discord located here.

If you're lonely, bored, looking for games to play, or wanna make some new acquaintances other than your usual circle of friends, both groups are always happy to chat or whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I never got this paranoia. You see it in the sous vide thread too. If poo poo breaks you'll be out of a meal. If there's a fire it'll be a standard electrical outlet fire which has no more likelyhood to occur with a crock pot.

/E - trying to find any instances of a crock pot fire just spoiled a TV show I likely will never watch. Be wary goons.

You actually just found the source of the paranoia. Right after that came out, there were a poo poo load of articles that were trying damage control: "No, your crock pot won't set your house on fire."

Also, mad props to dino.'s posts. They were extremely uplifting to read and I'm probably going to start trying these. My struggle is ALWAYS with veggies and sauce preparation. I can prepare meat and starches easy enough even in the worst of times, but getting a substantial amount of vegetables always ends with a ton of rotten veggies because :effort:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really need to research up to simple sauces.
I mostly make veggie soups with some rice or pasta with a little meat as my daily meal.
But some kind of simple sauce variety would liven that up a bit.

I pretty much figured out the 'how to eat cheap' posts on my own being respectably poor.
And have whittled down my monthly spending to about $130 or less.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

OgNar posted:

I really need to research up to simple sauces.
I mostly make veggie soups with some rice or pasta with a little meat as my daily meal.
But some kind of simple sauce variety would liven that up a bit.

I pretty much figured out the 'how to eat cheap' posts on my own being respectably poor.
And have whittled down my monthly spending to about $130 or less.

I'd start with an easy pan sauce, assuming your meat portion is cooked in a pan. There's a lot of flavor in those crusty bits.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-an-easy-pan-sauce-in-minutes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211220

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eat This Glob posted:

I'd start with an easy pan sauce, assuming your meat portion is cooked in a pan. There's a lot of flavor in those crusty bits.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-an-easy-pan-sauce-in-minutes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211220

This.

Pan sauce and then toss some veggies in that and server over rice is pretty great cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am trying to make use of the food we have, like out in the freezer and whatnot.

I am trying to piece together exactly what I am aiming for, and the problem is I DONT ACTUALLY KNOW.

Heres what I got:

Frozen unbreaded Cod Fillets (I found these digging through the deep freeze and I wanted to do something with them, so doesnt go to waste)
Two cans of Coconut milk
Packets of a tasty wild brown rice.
Some Undon noodles.

Plenty of bell peppers, and other veggies. I mean, theres a pretty stocked kitchen and Going to the store isn't an issue. It's mostly that I have a vague idea in my head, and it is bugging the poo poo out of me.

I thought about a fish stew of a sort, then jumped over to making a sort of Red beans/rice base with the fish and saute the bell peppers, onions and other bits and bobs into it.

But then I remembered the coconut milk, and then I bounced back to a thick stew with a coconut milk sauce thing?

Anyway, suggestions/ideas or links to recipes would be appreciated.