Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Possibly dumb question, but does that pot have drainage holes? If not, that could be the issue.

Also, here's a blog I found with a detailed troubleshooter just for this species: https://www.pilea.com/blog/common-pilea-foliage-problems

Way too much sun if it's in a South facing window. I like to keep Pileas of all sorts closer to a North facing window, further back if it's in an East or West.

Our Pileas do well in that type of situation. I'm not sure how recoverable that Pilea is, sadly. :(

Those are expensive plants too! :( :(

E: I have a North facing window in my apartment and my boys and girls are pretty happy

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

I'll try and post updates as I go.
Don't forget to research a bunch of wildlife friendly plants (flowers for bees, butterflies, insects and berries/seeds for birds).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Don't forget to research a bunch of wildlife friendly plants (flowers for bees, butterflies, insects and berries/seeds for birds).

Absolutely! I'm doing a lot of research specifically into indigenous plants. Kinnikinnick and bog rosemary occur right here.

For the shady areas I'm putting in a lot of ferns, since that's also the default, but will be looking into some local bulbs (likely for next year).

Apparently tiger lilies come from around here...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Possibly dumb question, but does that pot have drainage holes? If not, that could be the issue.
:sweatdrop: That's actually not my picture, either--it's the one the nursery sent out that made me buy this poor thing--but yes, the pot is the standard glazed variety with a drainage hole big enough to stick your finger in. It has a sticky paper pricetag or something over the hole that I had just slashed with an X for drainage, but to keep the dirt from falling out. Maybe not the best idea, in hindsight... I can repot it with a coffee filter instead.

Also, here's a blog I found with a detailed troubleshooter just for this species: https://www.pilea.com/blog/common-pilea-foliage-problems
Thanks! I'd really like to bring it back from the brink.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Way too much sun if it's in a South facing window. I like to keep Pileas of all sorts closer to a North facing window, further back if it's in an East or West.
It's about 6 feet diagonally away from the window, on a bookshelf to the side. It should be happy there. :(

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Our Pileas do well in that type of situation. I'm not sure how recoverable that Pilea is, sadly. :(

Those are expensive plants too! :( :(
They are. :( Maybe I can salvage some of its pups.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

E: I have a North facing window in my apartment and my boys and girls are pretty happy

Beautiful! Only one of our shady-rear end north-facing windows can accommodate plants--and there are maybe eight plants up in there already. LOL Maybe I can swap things around. Thanks for your help!

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 23, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are pileas sensitive to shock? If it started happening almost immediately it might not be that the environment is bad — just that its existing leaves weren’t able to acclimate.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are pileas sensitive to shock? If it started happening almost immediately it might not be that the environment is bad — just that its existing leaves weren’t able to acclimate.

In my experience, P. peperomioides are not bad when it comes to shock. They survive the freight from the growers to the shop just fine, I've only had one start looking sad but they're quick growers.

Hirayuki posted:

They are. :( Maybe I can salvage some of its pups.

Oh yes! Do that! The pups grow readily and easily. Try to find something wide but not too shallow with drainage and plant them up. Keep them a bit further away, maybe?

I know for about every 2 feet away from a window is 75% less light, very generally speaking. But these guys don't ever really need any direct sunlight, they just need to be placed in a bright room. A sheer of some sort may help as well.

And mommy plant might come back... How's the very tip of the plant looking?

I grabbed a bunch of plantlets from a mother-of-thousands a few weeks ago and they've gotten big!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 24, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I know for about every 2 feet away from a window is 75% less light, very generally speaking. But these guys don't ever really need any direct sunlight, they just need to be placed in a bright room. A sheer of some sort may help as well.
There's a blackout shade pulled down over half of the window most of the time, and Swiss-dot sheer curtains over the whole kit and caboodle. I think this plant just didn't like us for whatever reason. Rats.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

And mommy plant might come back... How's the very tip of the plant looking?
Way not good. LOL

It's hard to see the main stem in the middle there, but I wiggled it gently after I took that photo and it came right off in my fingers. So nope, she is dead dead deadski. But there are six inexplicably happy little babies by my count, so I'll round up some appropriate containers and set them free shortly. (And I don't think I'll put them back in my son's room.)

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I grabbed a bunch of plantlets from a mother-of-thousands a few weeks ago and they've gotten big!
Nice! I have great luck with kalanchoe--more than I'd like. I got a baby one (sized for a fairy garden) years ago that has grown into a forest of cuttings populating a bonsai dish. I dig them up, cut them down, stick them in water (a square-sided water bottle with a slit along the top) till they develop roots, and plant them right back into the bonsai dish again.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, most Kalanchoe root readily, whether a cutting or plantlet. I can see why these are so invasive!

What about Florist's Kalanchoe? Most Kalanchoe you'll see available in Ontario are the florist variety that are bred for long lasting sprays of flowers but then get chucked out after they're spent. They tend to get spindly soon afterwards and need strict periods of darkness (like poinsettia) in order to rebloom.

I wonder if anyone has managed to successfully grow one of those for a few years?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Reading about the massive decline in monarchs on the west coast is breaking my heart. So, I bought a bunch of showy milkweed seeds that I'm gonna plant this weekend. They need at least 4 weeks of cold stratification so now is a great time to do it.

I also bought over $100 worth of native flower seeds. I have western columbine, California poppy, riverside lupine, blanket flower, and blue Camas. I'm gonna flower bomb the west.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Lacrosse posted:

Reading about the massive decline in monarchs on the west coast is breaking my heart. So, I bought a bunch of showy milkweed seeds that I'm gonna plant this weekend. They need at least 4 weeks of cold stratification so now is a great time to do it.

What do you mean cold stratification? Are you going to be putting the seeds in the fridge? Or planting outdoors?

I want to put a bunch of milkweed in and I've never heard this.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah, most Kalanchoe root readily, whether a cutting or plantlet. I can see why these are so invasive!

What about Florist's Kalanchoe? Most Kalanchoe you'll see available in Ontario are the florist variety that are bred for long lasting sprays of flowers but then get chucked out after they're spent. They tend to get spindly soon afterwards and need strict periods of darkness (like poinsettia) in order to rebloom.

I wonder if anyone has managed to successfully grow one of those for a few years?

How much water/light do these guys need? I picked up one on discount after Christmas and I'm not quite sure what he or she is looking for... :)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

What do you mean cold stratification? Are you going to be putting the seeds in the fridge? Or planting outdoors?

I want to put a bunch of milkweed in and I've never heard this.

This is generally what cold stratification means, yes. A lot of seeds need this.

https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/cold-moist-stratification-milkweed-seeds/

That said, just sowing them outside in the fall would likely do the trick, assuming they don't all get eaten by birds in the meantime.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

How much water/light do these guys need? I picked up one on discount after Christmas and I'm not quite sure what he or she is looking for... :)
They like bright natural light, but not direct sun (they can burn). They conveniently (for us, not them) start looking listless when they need water, at which point I douse mine thoroughly, let it drain, and wait till it's dry again. (Make sure the pot has a drain hole.)

Here's a good care overview: https://www.joyusgarden.com/a-popular-succulent-houseplant-caring-for-flowering-kalanchoes/

And if you ever decide you'd like more than one, cut off a stem under a "knuckle" and put it in water. It'll grow roots before you know it. Enjoy! They're pretty easy plants.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

This is generally what cold stratification means, yes. A lot of seeds need this.

https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/cold-moist-stratification-milkweed-seeds/

That said, just sowing them outside in the fall would likely do the trick, assuming they don't all get eaten by birds in the meantime.

Thanks! I've been preparing beds for butterfly weed but figured I could just put seeds out in the spring. This resource looks great.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Ugh, something is eating my japanese maple branches and hellebores in the cold of winter. Of all of the plants I figured I would be having animal issues with....

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

extravadanza posted:

Ugh, something is eating my japanese maple branches and hellebores in the cold of winter. Of all of the plants I figured I would be having animal issues with....

Squirrels? Deer? Caught a deer eating one I had in a pot the other morning :/ custom nature pruning I guess

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I think it's deer, all the cuts are parallel to the ground which indicates to me that the animal is at least a foot or two tall. I'm in a suburb, so not exactly shocked to see the damage just sucks because $$$ if the plants don't make it thru the winter. Just planted the trees and plants in my shade garden last spring. I ordered some of the animal repellant pellets, so we'll see if that curbs future munching and saves the 3 or 4 uneaten hellebores.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Couple years ago we sprouted some Avocados for fun, with two surviving. They sure aren't happy, though. Anyone hazard a guess whether this is fungal or a deficiency, and if anything can be done?

The worse one of the two, which has been pretty sad looking (bit droopy, with curling, small leaves) for a while

This one looks better overall, but the leaftip browning is getting worse and worse

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I brought my bougainvillea indoors for the winter and it started growing a bit lopsided. Anyone know if it's safe to trim the long branches back?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ashex posted:

I brought my bougainvillea indoors for the winter and it started growing a bit lopsided. Anyone know if it's safe to trim the long branches back?

I think bougainvillea's are fairly OK with pruning.

Source: 8-year-old me being given a pair of secateurs and allowed to wild building a bush fort inside the one in our backyard.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ashex posted:

It's growing toward the light. Turn the pot around and see if it straightens up.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Nosre posted:

Couple years ago we sprouted some Avocados for fun, with two surviving. They sure aren't happy, though. Anyone hazard a guess whether this is fungal or a deficiency, and if anything can be done?

The worse one of the two, which has been pretty sad looking (bit droopy, with curling, small leaves) for a while

This one looks better overall, but the leaftip browning is getting worse and worse

Are they near a heater or air con outlet, or a drafty spot? Second pic looks a lot like the leaf blade is drying out. Could also be that your indoor air is much drier than what an avocado is used to.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

kid sinister posted:

It's growing toward the light. Turn the pot around and see if it straightens up.

This picture was taken after I turned it around. It was originally growing away from the window.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 8, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ashex posted:

You can definitely trim the plant. Bougainvillea bloom on new wood instead of old wood, so you won't destroy any of the next display's blooms.

I would wait closer to springtime, though. Right now the plant would like as much bright light as possible and lopping off any green bits destroys valuable energy production.

Make sure to let it dry out too, these guys don't like wet roots and in fact like it quite a bit drier than your average indoor plant. Do you have a sunny (south facing) yet cool spot (10 degrees Celsius) with no drafts? That would be perfect for overwintering.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

My orchid keiki has emancipated itself!

It's made good progress, going to repot and remove some of the shriveled bulbs soon. It's some kind of oncidium hybrid.

(oh ffs imgur. It's like a nine-step process to rotate that picture, gently caress it)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Hello plantheads, I have a question from a friend of mine who's trying to manage her plants a bit smarter. I'd massively appreciate any and all suggestions as I may adopt the solution you may suggest. The question is as follows:

quote:

'I'm trying to find a better way to keep track of the garden. But it's just not working. I currently use the calendar app. But it wont show photos. (Like. You can add attachments but they just show a thumbnail of the attachment symbol). So I looked at blogs but then I loose the handy calendar format. Do you know if any otherways I could do something that gives me photos and a simple format to see when I planted? I've looked at garden apps too. But they are lovely.'

Really appreciate any and all help here as I am just stabbing the dark, whereas you guys regularly stab at soil to help things grow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spreadsheet..?

Just make your own calendar in Excel or Google sheets and format it however you like.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Spreadsheet..?

Just make your own calendar in Excel or Google sheets and format it however you like.

Thanks for the reply. However:

No dice with google sheets and pictures. Surely there's a friendly app out there that can do this?

Edit:

To quote, 'Calendar would have been perfect if it just let me add an image. Like this. This event was auto added when I bought tickets for it. Its got a nice picture at the top. Just wanna add a picture :('

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 10, 2019

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

A diary app is now being tested that might be fit for task. I just figured I should ask the experts seeing as, you know, you're behind computers when you're not in front of plants.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It works fine on PC, and you can at least view it on your phone. :shrug:

You're just naturally going to have reduced functionality if you have to use a phone app.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Discomedusae posted:

Are they near a heater or air con outlet, or a drafty spot? Second pic looks a lot like the leaf blade is drying out. Could also be that your indoor air is much drier than what an avocado is used to.

Huh, thanks for that idea, hadn't thought about it. Can't really do anything about the situation in winter though, maybe Avocados are just too temperamental for pots (which could easily be the case, this was just a fun experiment, not something I researched)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

fuzzy_logic posted:

My orchid keiki has emancipated itself!

It's made good progress, going to repot and remove some of the shriveled bulbs soon. It's some kind of oncidium hybrid.

(oh ffs imgur. It's like a nine-step process to rotate that picture, gently caress it)

:kimchi: What a cute baby Oncidium. Do you know what colors the flowers were?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Nosre posted:

Huh, thanks for that idea, hadn't thought about it. Can't really do anything about the situation in winter though, maybe Avocados are just too temperamental for pots (which could easily be the case, this was just a fun experiment, not something I researched)

You can try misting the leaves or putting the pot in a tray with water in it ( to increase the humidity around the plant)

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is this a place where I could ask about guerilla gardening?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

OscarDiggs posted:

Is this a place where I could ask about guerilla gardening?

I think it's cool as long as you aren't, say, broadcasting mustard seed in someone's lawn just to be a jerk. That said, I'd love to see developed a glyphosate-immune strain of mustard that conquers all golf courses.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah the only issue I ever have with guerilla gardening is when it spreads invasive species.

vegetables on an empty lot: cool

seed bomb full of wisteria: what the gently caress

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

seed bomb full of wisteria: what the gently caress
But it’s so pretty and it smells so gooooood.

PS if anyone knows a good way to kill wrist thick wisteria vines please let me know.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chop them at the base and immediately spray with glyphosate. I've removed a lot of them that way.

(spray the cut spot, that is. needs to be done immediately to get into the vascular tissue before the new wound is sealed off by the plant)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Shame Boner posted:

I think it's cool as long as you aren't, say, broadcasting mustard seed in someone's lawn just to be a jerk. That said, I'd love to see developed a glyphosate-immune strain of mustard that conquers all golf courses.

I mean, you can buy glyphosate-resistant canola (you may need to prove you're a farmer and sign a licence agreement or some bullshit).

It would make for some pretty hilarious culture-jamming, but you'd probably be sued by the golf course for damages and sued by the seed company for breach of the EULA if you were caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Chop them at the base and immediately spray with glyphosate. I've removed a lot of them that way.

(spray the cut spot, that is. needs to be done immediately to get into the vascular tissue before the new wound is sealed off by the plant)

This is a good reminder to get some glyphosate. I have a buddleia and a whole thicket of blackberries to get rid of once the snow melts.