Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Played a couple games of T99 today. Not sure if something happened overnight, but that wasn't fun at all.

One of the games I put two tetronimos down and the screen filled up 75%. I'm guessing people have figured out how to screw each other over pretty effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

my new dog posted:

this was a ways back but what thhe fucke
It's just better to ignore :jerkbag: statements like that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Played a couple games of T99 today. Not sure if something happened overnight, but that wasn't fun at all.

One of the games I put two tetronimos down and the screen filled up 75%. I'm guessing people have figured out how to screw each other over pretty effectively.
Wow, what a rough 8 seconds that must have been for you.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I was having a lot of fun with Hollow Knight until I heard you basically needed godlike skill to get the true actual for real ending as opposed to the weenie ending for babies you get from just beating the game "normally". I was already starting to brush up against content that was on the border of fun and tedious (but still having fun) so I figured I should just quit there if I wanted to remember my time with the game fondly.

I'm assuming the expansion will build atop that difficulty? If so it's a safe pass from me. Game has incomparable atmosphere but i don't have the twitch reflexes for it.

you need godlike skill to beat a post-game boss rush mode that unlocks a bonus ending that you can look up on youtube if you really want to see it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Pirate Captain posted:

What's the issue? I haven't played Dead Cells recently.

Crashes on startup after hitting play. 100% of the time.
Few people on twitter so far saying the same.

Redownloaded. Rebooted. Nada.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They should bring back the bonus-point cubes from N64 New Tetris.

Those were the best and would own in Tetris99. Not just because I still make them out of habit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxyclean posted:

The mobile game (Pocket Camp) might be, but I don't see how a several year old 3DS entry with no extra moneitizaiton is making Nintendo tons of money.

Tons of people have switches and are hungry for a new AC game. It's a total no brainier.

all of it is from that 80 year old lady who has 1500 hours in New Leaf.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I played tetris effect during the free weekend and if it makes you feel any better I didnt like how there was too much stuff flashing on the screen, making it hard for my old dusty brain to keep track of what I was looking at. I mean the game was ok but it ultimately felt like a slightly better version of lumines.

Then i tried effect mode where it throws random obstacles in your face while you're trying to just complete some stinking lines. Definitely not a chill experience for me.
It was designed for VR. The effects work much better in full 3D.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
wumbotize is breaking the T99 curve

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Feenix posted:

Crashes on startup after hitting play. 100% of the time.
Few people on twitter so far saying the same.

Redownloaded. Rebooted. Nada.

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My thoughts on the Direct:

I'm not sure how I feel about Fire Emblem Persona (Harry Potter?) On the one hand, it does look like a dramatic departure from Fates, which I found to be a deeply disappointing game. On the other hand I've never played a Persona game and... it just didn't look "Fire Emblem-y" enough. On the other other hand the game reminds me a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and I loved the poo poo out of that game, so maybe I would like it? I dunno. I'm torn.

I am extremely hype for Link's Awakening remake! I have never finished the original. I've stalled out of many attempted playthroughs because the controls just drive me batty. As does the unskippable text that pops up every time you so much as brush up against a jar without the Bracelet equipped. The remake looks very Link Between Worlds-ish, and as that game loving owns, I am extremely OK with this! Maybe having dedicated buttons for the sword and shield and (maybe?) dedicated slots for the Bracelet and Boots will let me actually finish the game!

Re: Hollow Knight sequel... I never finished the first game because I am very bad at it. However I do like Hornet (that was Hornet, right?) so playing as her sounds great to me! If the game is combat-focused, though, I will have the same problem I did with the first game. :( I suck at the combat, especially the boss fights. So much.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Feenix posted:

Nope. Redownloading did not fix this new error with the new Dead Cells update. I am NOT deleting my save data until I am told that is the only way, sooo.... sitting tight I guess.

The solution is to start a new game instead of hitting continue.

You won't lose your upgrade progress and the game works normally. The console port is now up to speed with the PC version, and has had some balance changes. The Hand of the King has been slowed down a bit and maybe nerfed some, because I beat him on my first try and I could never kill him before.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Japanese version of the Direct had a couple of extra games in it:

Dragon Quest Rivals, a F2P card game that's apparently been on mobile for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i11wnH_EYSY

Jikkyuu Powerful Pro Baseball, a new entry in a long-running Konami sports series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4xNPKfnHHA

Doraemon: Nobita's Story of Seasons, a crossover between anime robot cats and The Real Harvest Moon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8t1YyZt-c

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1096153053126897664

:(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Waltzing Along posted:

People are definitely getting good, I've found myself fighting off attacks from the first 30 seconds now but it adds to it for me. Maybe it's just me always liking competitive Tetris but the idea of having to fight to stay in the game from the first minute makes me enjoy it more.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Silver Falcon posted:

My thoughts on the Direct:

I'm not sure how I feel about Fire Emblem Persona (Harry Potter?) On the one hand, it does look like a dramatic departure from Fates, which I found to be a deeply disappointing game. On the other hand I've never played a Persona game and... it just didn't look "Fire Emblem-y" enough. On the other other hand the game reminds me a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and I loved the poo poo out of that game, so maybe I would like it? I dunno. I'm torn.

You played a Persona game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hey guys there 98 other people playing the game, most of which have their attacks set to random so there's like a 1/3 chance you start a game either getting ganged up on by 6 different people or you just so happened to be the unlucky target of a Tetris god dropping tspins every other line.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear that.

They’ll fix it eventually. New games (at least the one I tried on a new profile) worked fine. *shrug*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rudoku posted:

Hell its more a Persona game than FE.

I actually don’t know what people think you do in Persona because nothing in FE is like Persona other than involves a school.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

American McGay posted:

Hey guys there 98 other people playing the game, most of which have their attacks set to random so there's like a 1/3 chance you start a game either getting ganged up on by 6 different people or you just so happened to be the unlucky target of a Tetris god dropping tspins every other line.

Do we know for sure that the game rewards T spins?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It definitely acknowledges them, and previous Arika games have given tspin bonuses.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

What even is a t spin

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

What even is a t spin

where you spin a t-block into a spot it couldn't drop into otherwise

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://harddrop.com/wiki/T-Spin

Basically when you slot a tetromino into a space that it cannot drop straight into

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

What even is a t spin

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Arika, get your poo poo together and maker another Everblue/Endless Ocean.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Tetris player does a double T-spin combo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYoR-hIz4SI&t=3496s

I could never get the hang of setting those up and pulling them off so I mostly stuck to 2-wide combos

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rudoku posted:

Hmm, all right then. Call me cautiously hype for the game, I guess?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell its more a Persona game than FE.

I actually don’t know what people think you do in Persona because nothing in FE is like Persona other than involves a school.

Yeah I knew TMS was more of a Persona game than Fire Emblem. I thought Persona was "You are in high school and you form social links with your class mates. You also moonlight as a demon tamer or some poo poo and go into an alternate world where you fight the dream manifestations of the things your classmates are most afraid of... and this makes them like you." OK upon laying it out like that, the only thing they have in common is that they both involve school. Carry on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Books On Tape posted:

Isn't New Leaf still making Nintendo a ton of money? If so, why would they devote resources on a new one until that well runs dry?

Nintendo currently has New Leaf at 12.10 Million as of the end of 2018, and is the 7th best selling game right behind Mario Kart 7, 3 iterations of Pokemon, and NSMB2/3D World.

Over 2018,...
Mario Kart 7 sold 1.35M
UltraSun/Moon sold 1.11M
Animal Crossing New Leaf sold 820K
NSMB2 sold 650K
3D World sold 640K
Smash 3DS sold 290K
Omega/Alpha sold 230K
Pokemon XY sold 110K
Sun/Moon sold 90K

So Animal Crossing is still selling fairly well for a 6 year old game.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
daemon x machina is fun and good. has there been word for online?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone have an extra slot in their Nintendo online family plan? I want in on this Tetris train

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Silver Falcon posted:

Hmm, all right then. Call me cautiously hype for the game, I guess?

Yeah I knew TMS was more of a Persona game than Fire Emblem. I thought Persona was "You are in high school and you form social links with your class mates. You also moonlight as a demon tamer or some poo poo and go into an alternate world where you fight the dream manifestations of the things your classmates are most afraid of... and this makes them like you." OK upon laying it out like that, the only thing they have in common is that they both involve school. Carry on.

they don't even involve school

it's a war college not a highschool

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

I think that % you have on the side increases the amount of junk you send AND receive, and it's tied to how many badges you have. Getting a lot of badges is a super high risk/reward play.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Books On Tape posted:

Isn't New Leaf still making Nintendo a ton of money? If so, why would they devote resources on a new one until that well runs dry?

I doubt New Leaf is moving that many copies in 2019, and even if it were, it's been a $20 game for years now.

Speaking of Animal Crossing, I just put my Switch out to pasture. Goodnight sweet prince. I'll be back when they announce an AC bundle!

Edit: oh wow, 820,000 copies of New Leaf sold in 2018? That's absolutely insane. Stop buying New Leaf assholes, we need the Switch game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna buy new leaf for 3ds, when i'm done with my 0-mistake run of picross 3D round 2

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Glad this thread is still packed to the brim with people who sell their Switch between every game release.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think that % you have on the side increases the amount of junk you send AND receive, and it's tied to how many badges you have. Getting a lot of badges is a super high risk/reward play.
That makes no sense.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wendell posted:

Glad this thread is still packed to the brim with people who sell their Switch between every game release.

The last time I turned it on was for Mario Odyssey, and the only other game I care about is Animal Crossing. Please Understand.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I can't wait to romance Doraemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I'm finding it's better to hang on to that tetris for defense, or until you can build up a back-to-back and then attack.

But if you're at the endgame and like 4 people target you at once, you're pretty boned no matter what