Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Greekonomics posted:

If anyone else uses Comixology Unlimited, they've just added DC and Vertigo books.

You also get the same 15% discount you get with Marvel.

This might have more than DC's own service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Humble Deadly Class Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/deadly-class-books

Seven TPBs for $15.

It's violent and immature and with a bit of gross out humor. It's great!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
^^ That’s awesome!

This may be helpful for someone, really wish I did it before Black Friday and Christmas though...

I don’t live in the US but my Comixology account is linked to my US Amazon account and I signed up for Unlimited on a whim. I think that should work for everyone who’s account is like that.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Is this the right place to discuss the desktop and television displays we're using to read digital comics? If not, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

I had been reading digital comics on my iPad for awhile, but just recently installed YACReader on my Windows 7 desktop, and holy poo poo- I don't know what I was expecting but I'm blown away by how good everything looks on the huge (compared to what I'm used to with my iPad) and bright display. I've got two 24" displays that are nothing special (Dell U2410 and U2415), but very nice for 1900x1200. 16:10 is infinitely preferable to me for spreadsheet work, coding, gaming, and everything else. Both are IPS panels and look very good at the high brightness levels I prefer for digital comics (and really for most things).

I experimented with fitting to the screen, which was alright but it would be nice to use more of the screen instead of just a relatively narrow strip down the middle. Fitting to width was a nice improvement, utilizing 100% of the 16:10 24" display, but of course needing to scroll down to see more than about a third of the page was not ideal. I'm glad I kept experimenting, because I hit the jackpot when I tried rotating one of the two monitors to portrait orientation and switched to full page view. It uses essentially the entire screen, which fits a standard page pretty nicely without needing to scroll and looks great. I still prefer paper, but if I hadn't grown up with it and was just starting today, it's hard to see how I wouldn't prefer the bigger and brighter displays paired with the convenience factors of digital comics.

I can see myself reading comics a lot this way in the future. I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a third 16:10 display (possibly even just another U2415) and keep it in perma-portrait mode so I don't have to constantly be switching it back and forth. Or should I take this opportunity to upgrade to something bigger and better for reading digital comics? Anyone mount a large monitor or even a TV in portrait mode for mostly or solely the purpose of reading digital comics?

Edit: It occurred to me that a multi-monitor solution for digital comics would be completely badass! I can think of many ways you could use more than one display (Viewing multiple pages at once, or having one display show the full page while the other is a movable and resizable magnifying glass, etc.) Anyone know of reader software that supports more than a single display?

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 10, 2019

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
double post

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you ever use Comixology, I think the comics still aren't full res in the browser reader, so I'm imagining (haven't tried, myself) that getting a display out of your phone/tablet to the screens would give the best quality.

edit: My reading is exclusively done lying in bed or on the bus, so a TV/monitor wouldn't work for me.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 11, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got a buddy that keeps one monitor in portrait for reading the web and such. Seems like a good idea for comics, too.

I prefer not to read at my desk, so I prefer my 7" tablet. But I read the landscape formatted Panel Syndicate comics on my 42" TV and it is glorious.

Sorry, don't know of any dual monitor comic reading software. Maybe something that can force full screen across two monitors. Maybe ask the Windows thread.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Anyone read comics with a VR headset? Seems like it would be quite immersive, like watching movies on a headset.

Edit: Especially with active noise cancellation headphones to provide extra isolation from ambient sound.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That sounds like a literal nightmare.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
As someone who loves my VR, the resolution just isn't there yet. The few fake magazine covers I've encountered in VR games had really large print and/or had to be held up to my face to read them. Actual normal sized print would be useless.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There could be cool attempts to make VR native comics. There were a few cool digital native comics (animation, color changing, infinite scrolling, "motion comics"), though they tend to default to flat static rectangles.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Uthor posted:

There could be cool attempts to make VR native comics. There were a few cool digital native comics (animation, color changing, infinite scrolling, "motion comics"), though they tend to default to flat static rectangles.

I see the idea but reading a comic at that scale would be like sifting through an art gallery of panels the size of portraits. It doesn't appeal to me personally, I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

joehonkie posted:

I see the idea but reading a comic at that scale would be like sifting through an art gallery of panels the size of portraits. It doesn't appeal to me personally, I guess.

Reading a bunch of Kirby two page spreads like that appeals to me!

There was a manga I read where the panels were depicted as 3D objects that came alive. Something like that could be neat. Where different angles reveal different information.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Uthor posted:

Sounds like Roy Lichtenstein the app. I'd be in for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

Anyone read comics with a VR headset? Seems like it would be quite immersive, like watching movies on a headset.

Edit: Especially with active noise cancellation headphones to provide extra isolation from ambient sound.

No, I'm not so afraid of the real world that I have to completely isolate myself from it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

12 dollars an issue? sounds great!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

Just check out sutu stuff for that

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I would guess that over time some really, really great upscaling algorithms will be developed for post-processing of hand drawn (or quasi-hand drawn using digital paintbrush, pencil, etc) art. The gaming industry has made some impressive strides toward addressing the issue of how to view older, lower resolution media on modern, larger, and higher resolution displays. One game that stands out to me is Sonic 3 and Knuckles (and in fact all games on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis Classics Collection on Steam). There are a wide variety of possible filters and layers for upscaling, with more being developed all the time. With all of the exotic, high end filters and upscalers turned on, unless someone were to actively look for specific post-processing artifacts that would give it away as upscaling... it would be very easy to assume that the game was developed in 1080p natively. I love thinking about how those graphics are actually being generated by the same underlying code as when I played the game on my 480i television in 1994.

If you're familiar with fractal geometry, or cellular automata such as "Game of Life", I think there are many parallels. A relatively simple function can generate a set of infinite complexity, detail, or "resolution" no matter how far you zoom into the graph. There are "details" the original artist never envisioned or predicted, but by feeding a sample of their artwork into the system they've created a basic set of rules from which infinite complexity can stem. In a decade or two, the machine learning algorithms will probably be "smart" enough to attempt to learn the artist's style and adhere to it.

Needless to say this will be controversial as hell. Is it ethical to allow a program to study and recreate an artist's style? Is that a case of respectfully paying homage, or is it a rip off, or even a forgery or case of copyright infringement if a program copies an artist's signature style? How will comic artists feel about the images they've drawn on a page being scanned in and redefined as a set of mathematical functions, which are then run recursively and infinitely to "draw" details onto the page that the artist never intended? Welp, I'm not sure how I ended up on a tangent talking about all this mad scientist poo poo... Oh well, better a tangent line than a NORMAL line at any rate.

I actually wear my noise cancelling headphones a lot of the time when I'm reading comics or other stuff. I turn the noise cancellation on maximum, yet I'm only listening to the sounds of silence. And I ain't talking about Simon and Garfunkel!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Basically every Fantagraphics book is on sale through ComiXology. Definitely grabbing the Usagi Yojimbo set for $20.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TheManWithNoName posted:

Basically every Fantagraphics book is on sale through ComiXology. Definitely grabbing the Usagi Yojimbo set for $20.

Some of my favs
Castle Waiting
Pogo
Fletcher Hanks Complete Collection
Dinomania
Zippy the Pinhead

all crazy good sales

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Junkie Disease posted:

Some of my favs
Castle Waiting
Pogo
Fletcher Hanks Complete Collection
Dinomania
Zippy the Pinhead

all crazy good sales

Most of these are free on ComiXology Unlimited as well.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Most of these are free on ComiXology Unlimited as well.

What you mean is "not trying them is a crime!"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I would guess that over time some really, really great upscaling algorithms will be developed for post-processing of hand drawn (or quasi-hand drawn using digital paintbrush, pencil, etc) art. The gaming industry has made some impressive strides toward addressing the issue of how to view older, lower resolution media on modern, larger, and higher resolution displays. One game that stands out to me is Sonic 3 and Knuckles (and in fact all games on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis Classics Collection on Steam).

Someone created a machine learning algorithm to upscale the textures in FFVII and it looked pretty good. Definitely doable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Musta missed that post before but waifu2x and its derivatives are made for that purpose (correctly upscaling art), and have been used to upscale games sprites as well. Doom modders have been using it and also a nvidia neural net i don't know the name of to upscale all the sprites and textures and some are moving into other games

Heres the thread for the doom upscale project so you can take a look, it actually does do a pretty dang good job of basically creating information out of the barest minimum imo

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99021-v-0-95-doom-neural-upscale-2x/

site fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 14, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, are the Mark Waid Flash collections on sale on Comixology worth it for someone who isn't super into Flash (I know quite a bit about him, but nothing from that era), but likes Mark Waid?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

So, are the Mark Waid Flash collections on sale on Comixology worth it for someone who isn't super into Flash (I know quite a bit about him, but nothing from that era), but likes Mark Waid?

I've been slowly reading Waid's Flash run on Hoopla, and I had completely forgotten the glacial pacing and really bad art. I want to love it, but it feels like a chore to get through. Say what you will about Geoff Johns, his Wally West Flash run is the best Flash series ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

If you like Mark Waid, definitely. There's absolutely no reason not to get them if you like Mark Waid. There's stretches where it's "average Waid" rather than "really good Waid", but I think you wouldn't complain about those. "The Return of Barry Allen" was the second story in his run and it's a high point that shouldn't be missed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mark Waid Flash is real good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there anywhere I can read the classic run of GI Joe?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Is there anywhere I can read the classic run of GI Joe?

https://www.comixology.com/G-I-Joe-Classics/comics-series/2002

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC "Tales From Outer Space" sale with a lot of Green Lantern and Legion of Super Heroes
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Tales-From-Outerspace-Sale/page/20697

I picked up the LOSH Silver Age collection.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I really enjoyed that collection. I hope they release more.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

It looks like the DC Comixology Unlimited books are now on Kindle Unlimited too.

There's about 300 books - the DC ones are mostly Vol 1s, but the Vertigo series usually have at least 2 volumes. Also a few big collections like Multiversity, 52, Injustice Year 1.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_...&qid=1548900036

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Dark Horse has a 50% discount on comixology for today only (discount code DH50), which can be combined with the Dark Horse Video Games sale, if there is anything there that catches one's fancy.

https://www.comixology.eu/comics-sale?list_id=28734

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Rincewinds posted:

Dark Horse has a 50% discount on comixology for today only (discount code DH50), which can be combined with the Dark Horse Video Games sale, if there is anything there that catches one's fancy.

https://www.comixology.eu/comics-sale?list_id=28734

Worth mentioning that this also works on art books. I just got Super Mario Encyclopedia and Zelda: Art and Artifacts for about $10 combined.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Sarchasm posted:

Worth mentioning that this also works on art books. I just got Super Mario Encyclopedia and Zelda: Art and Artifacts for about $10 combined.

How are those books on ComiXology?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

blast0rama posted:

How are those books on ComiXology?

I've only flipped through a bit of Art and Artifacts so far but it's pretty solid. I'm reading on iPad and I can scale things up two to three times before I notice any aliasing or artifacting.

You won't be making any 4K wallpapers out of it but it's definitely worth $5.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It sucks that they have taken all the Conan dark horse trade down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the Battle Angel Alita books good? I see there’s 9 volumes on sale (is that all?) and then a 2nd series/sequel. Just saw the movie a couple of days ago, digged it, and wondering where I should jump in on reading more about Alita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The first series is legit one of my favorite Japanese comics. Second series is still good imo but it’s very different in feel and also mostly a martial arts tournament.

So yeah buy it all.

Edit: first series is just plain Battle Angel Alita and is 9 volumes.
The sequel is Last Order and is 19 volumes, most of which can be picked up in omnibuses which contain 3 volumes each if I remember right.
Lastly is Mars Chronicles, which I gotta admit I haven’t started reading yet, so I don’t know poo poo beyond read it after all the others.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2019