Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was looking for a ford ranger like 4 years ago

cheapest price used in my area was $10k

used trucks are ridiculous

Used trucks are ridiculous

Used Toyota trucks are absurd

25K for a 8 year old Tacoma with 200k KM? Get that garbage outta here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was looking for a ford ranger like 4 years ago

cheapest price used in my area was $10k

used trucks are ridiculous

Could be worse, if you want to get some of that #vanlife peep the prices on Sprinters.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My uncle had this TINY little Toyota truck from the 80s. Like a 4 foot bed tiny. He used it for running errands and poo poo, never put much strain on it. Sat under a tent cover for like six years after he moved to VA, sold it in like 2013 for...more than what he paid for originally even counting for inflation. I mean not *much* more, but he was like 'wtf, people are offering me 50k for this'

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

My uncle had this TINY little Toyota truck from the 80s. Like a 4 foot bed tiny. He used it for running errands and poo poo, never put much strain on it. Sat under a tent cover for like six years after he moved to VA, sold it in like 2013 for...more than what he paid for originally even counting for inflation. I mean not *much* more, but he was like 'wtf, people are offering me 50k for this'

I blame Top Gear and the Taliban.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I blame Top Gear and the Taliban.

Yeah the indestructible Hilux from Top Gear cemented the Taco in a lot of people's minds.

Mind you the things still suffered ATROCIOUS frame rot up here. A friend had a early 2000s Tacoma, took it to the dealer for something a year or so ago and they basically said "Um we can't give you your truck back because the frame is completely rusted through, here's 15 grand pick something from our used inventory."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had an 03' Rav4 for almost 10 years, until a few weeks ago. It was an excellent car that cost very little to maintain. I'd still be driving it but the alternator going out finally convinced me to just buy a new car. I now have a 19' Rav4.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My 87 f150 4x4 doesn’t care about snow but man it has some bad electrical issues.

With fresh tires it just plowed through the snow no problem. Wouldn’t commute with it but it’s a great weekend car for taking the kayak to the sound.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Soulex posted:

My "this poo poo kinda weird but also good" on Netflix

Parfum
Le Foret
Dark
Rain

All really good, but Parfum and the end? Holy poo poo.

I just started Dark last night (with the original German and subtitles on) and after one episode I’m getting a real Stranger Things meets the X-Files vibe. Atmospheric as hell.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah Dark is good as hell. I can't wait for the second season.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had an '92 toyota pickup 4x4 with the 22RE, and it was a really amazing machine that you could always trust to start and drive over literally any surface you would call a "road," but the Tacoma is a rust-and-plastic garbage pile and it has been from the very first model (i.e. '95 forward)

lol nobody makes reasonable little pickups anymore and we should have all known this country was going straight down the shitpipe when the 90's and 00's truck models came around

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
goddamnit i might be going to houston in a few weeks

no travel contract my rear end

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Eat some BBQ or the smorgasbord of great international food Houston apparently has?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My half sister lives in Houston but she’s no longer single.

That’s all I got.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Eat some BBQ or the smorgasbord of great international food Houston apparently has?

Houston has great food.

buuuuuut that's all I can say about the positive things of Houston.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Leave an upper decker in the office bathroom in Houston right before you fly out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

My half sister lives in Houston but she’s no longer single.

That’s all I got.

Yeah but does she have crabs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dudes it’s my sister.

If she wanted crabs all she has to do is ask.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I tried doing that with shells but they get so brittle when they dry up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

I tried doing that with shells but they get so brittle when they dry up.

use some spray adhesive to strengthen them

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mustang posted:

Any recommendations for a good/decent used 4x4 SUV or truck? Looking to get one for when I go up into the mountains but don't know anything about 4x4 cars or what their reputations for durability/maintenance are.

Are you sticking to graded dirt roads? You can get by with most of the recommendations in here. Otherwise, AWD is not 4x4. Any full size truck except the Ridgeline (which is a crossover with a bed) that has 4 wheel drive (make sure) is a good starting point. Having lockers or a limited slip differential is a plus...lockers physically lock both wheels on an axle together, so that if one is turning the other is too, while an LSD uses a clutch system to do almost as good a job. Either can provide a significant improvement in "not getting stuck." Stay away from Tacomas as mentioned, and as a Jeep owner I recommend staying away from 07-18 Wranglers as well. Old Cherokees or Grand Cherokees are fantastic, with far fewer flaws than you'd expect (and super easy to keep running forever).

Really, any of the big name trucks or SUVs would be fine. 4Runner, Explorer (not the past few years where it was a crossover), F-series, Silverado, Bronco/K5 Blazer, etc. Figuring out how many seats and how much storage space and towing capacity you might need will help you narrow it down.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

DoktorLoken posted:

I have seen these Vietnamese-Cajun crawfish on tv a couple of times now and I'm dying to try them but lmao I am absolutely not going to Houston if I can help it at all

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Godholio posted:

Are you sticking to graded dirt roads? You can get by with most of the recommendations in here. Otherwise, AWD is not 4x4. Any full size truck except the Ridgeline (which is a crossover with a bed) that has 4 wheel drive (make sure) is a good starting point. Having lockers or a limited slip differential is a plus...lockers physically lock both wheels on an axle together, so that if one is turning the other is too, while an LSD uses a clutch system to do almost as good a job. Either can provide a significant improvement in "not getting stuck." Stay away from Tacomas as mentioned, and as a Jeep owner I recommend staying away from 07-18 Wranglers as well. Old Cherokees or Grand Cherokees are fantastic, with far fewer flaws than you'd expect (and super easy to keep running forever).

Really, any of the big name trucks or SUVs would be fine. 4Runner, Explorer (not the past few years where it was a crossover), F-series, Silverado, Bronco/K5 Blazer, etc. Figuring out how many seats and how much storage space and towing capacity you might need will help you narrow it down.

I took a 4Runner to Africa and it was a great ride. Even drove it offroad through some parks in 4high - never needed 4low (this was fine, they hadn't built up park roads like Tanzania or South Africa)

With that said, I knew other folks with Rav4s that got through a lot of poo poo just fine with AWD.

E: Moving back to the DC area and haven't had a car in 6 years... no idea what to buy (looking at hatchback/crossover for space reasons).

TCD fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 14, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AWD is fine for a ton of stuff. But when the road starts getting bouncy, or there's a lot of slipping, or high angles, or ground clearance concerns, things go bad very quickly. AWD is often (not always) paired with suspension systems that just aren't up to much abuse. Same for their differentials. And it's almost always a lot more expensive to repair than a Dana diff or a sheared strut bolt or broken spring or axle clip. That's why the intended usage matters. I'd never take a Subaru places I took my 93 Wrangler...I was TRYING to get that fucker to throw a rod or something, but I somehow only even got stuck once in mud up to the door, but it actually worked its way out after a few minutes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm watching The Magicians.

It's like 'what if Harry Potter was a bunch of angsty 20-somethings in a low-budget SyFy series' and it's surprisingly...watchable? I don't know, maybe I'm that bored (I am) but it's amusing to see characters not taking magic and poo poo seriously. I'm enjoying it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Godholio posted:

I'm looking for something that I can take 2-3 people and their equipment in, generally hiking/mountaineering stuff.

A good number of trails I've been to in WA have roads that lead up to them in pretty awful condition, occasionally I've had to turn around and other times I was pretty concerned that I would get stuck or break down along the way. Some of them probably haven't been graded in decades.

I was also pretty envious seeing the Jeeps and trucks driving around with no problems during this snow storm.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

4x4 helps you accelerate/not get stuck, it doesn't help with handling or braking. That's the thing that idiots forget.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

TCD posted:

E: Moving back to the DC area and haven't had a car in 6 years... no idea what to buy (looking at hatchback/crossover for space reasons).

Subaru Outback Sport or Crosstrek. I’ve had the former for eight years and I love mine. It’s been very reliable and was a great daily driver when I commuted; I’ve also found the all wheel drive useful when driving in snow or on crappy rural roads in VA.

Workplace rant: if I could have one wish, it would be to banish the word “kindly” from professional vocabulary. Maybe it’s my institution, but every motherfucker and their uncle uses some iteration of the word in every email. Even bitchy-rear end reminder emails will have something like “do you have any updates on the information that I am kindly requesting?” or “will you kindly do x, y and z?” or even “Kindly read this email.” Dude, I opened it already, what the gently caress do you think I’m doing?

The answer is no, shitbird, I will not kindly do anything. I will respond to your email with the information you requested, or do the task that you’re asking me to do, because I am a professional and I am getting paid money to do it. I will kindly give my fiancée a ride to the airport at 5 am or kindly help my friend move apartments because I’d like to think that I’m a nice guy- a kindly one of you will- but every time someone makes an appeal to my kindness for some sort of ask just makes it a whole lot more likely that I’m going to funnel your email to the bottom of my to-do list.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

4x4 helps you accelerate/not get stuck, it doesn't help with handling or braking. That's the thing that idiots forget.

Truth. My dad grew up driving in Alberta, I grew up driving in New England. We both live in DC now and whenever it snows, we stay off the roads not because we don't have confidence driving in the snow but because dumbshits around here think 4wd means they can rip down route 7 or 66 going 65 without issue. Every winter without fail, we've both seen multiple trucks and SUVs in ditches or in accidents that are easily preventable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Truth. My dad grew up driving in Alberta, I grew up driving in New England. We both live in DC now and whenever it snows, we stay off the roads not because we don't have confidence driving in the snow but because dumbshits around here think 4wd means they can rip down route 7 or 66 going 65 without issue. Every winter without fail, we've both seen multiple trucks and SUVs in ditches or in accidents that are easily preventable.

DC snowdays and wrecked contractor Raptors with gadsden plates go together like ice cream and hot fudge.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

DC snowdays and wrecked contractor Raptors with gadsden plates go together like ice cream and hot fudge.

My favorite story is from a couple years ago of a girl who wrecked her SUV in freezing rain and was not going to survive (because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt) and her brother who wrecked his brodozer just a few miles away trying to get there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's kind of baffling at how little people understand driving in the snow and how much it freaks people out even in minuscule amounts down south. Drive slowly, don't take any sudden actions, etc.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mustang posted:

I'm looking for something that I can take 2-3 people and their equipment in, generally hiking/mountaineering stuff.

A good number of trails I've been to in WA have roads that lead up to them in pretty awful condition, occasionally I've had to turn around and other times I was pretty concerned that I would get stuck or break down along the way. Some of them probably haven't been graded in decades.

I was also pretty envious seeing the Jeeps and trucks driving around with no problems during this snow storm.

I take my Outback to do light off roading all the time here in Southern California. My wife and I go camping and or hiking with a luggage rack on the roof and a bike rack on the hitch. I have never done Jeep stuff in it though mostly because it's new and I spent a gently caress ton of money on it so I could have leather seats and fancy driver assist cameras.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've probably told this story before, but gently caress it

When I was stationed at Benning we had one of those snow storms that had 3 inches of snow shut down half the state. A friend of mine got stuck with no ride so I went to pick them up in me V8 manual challenger. So that was an exciting ride, but while I was creeping along doing 30 - 35 on the freeway I just about had my doors blown off by some knob in a lifted chevy doing at least 70. I get home intact after some very interesting braking experiences and trying to take off on a couple of inclines, but there mister bro dozer is on the 10 o'clock news, having flipped how many times and been ejected from the cab with enough force that it surely at least rendered him unconscious before he got turned into raspberry jam about 50 feet away.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At least in my environment, kindly is used as an extra qualifier to indicate exceptional circumstances. Much like how "please advise" translates to 'what the gently caress, yo?'

So like 'would you kindly do xyz by COB' translates out to 'look, someone hosed up and now we're all hosed unless this happens by COB, sorry'

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQHDUYk310

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So my boss somehow didn't get the memo that I was the one in charge of my section. This is despite numerous, numerous face to face meetings where I was the leader, many emails that have my signature as [project name] Workstream Lead, and oh yeah the meeting where I was introduced by my people as the section leader and we had a full 30 minute discussion about it.

I was getting ready to go, as my schedule has me at 6-6.5 hours onsite and 1.5-2 hours remote every day, and my underlings were all 'I wish I could go home' (they work remotely 2 days a week) and my boss who happened to be right there were 'why are you letting him go then' and they were like '...because he's our boss?' and it was like she discovered fire for the first time. Had absolutely no idea, somehow, that I was the ranking member and the section leader because I was one of the newest people on the team.

I don't even know.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

So my boss somehow didn't get the memo that I was the one in charge of my section. This is despite numerous, numerous face to face meetings where I was the leader, many emails that have my signature as [project name] Workstream Lead, and oh yeah the meeting where I was introduced by my people as the section leader and we had a full 30 minute discussion about it.

I was getting ready to go, as my schedule has me at 6-6.5 hours onsite and 1.5-2 hours remote every day, and my underlings were all 'I wish I could go home' (they work remotely 2 days a week) and my boss who happened to be right there were 'why are you letting him go then' and they were like '...because he's our boss?' and it was like she discovered fire for the first time. Had absolutely no idea, somehow, that I was the ranking member and the section leader because I was one of the newest people on the team.

I don't even know.

People do not read their emails, even if you tell them to, and make it a punishable offense to not keep up to date on emails sent to them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
True. I hate reading emails. My direct reports know the best way to get something out of me is to walk over to my desk. Much rather talk face to face than over email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My desk is literally where the old lead was, everyone defers to me for everything when my boss physically asks a question, I'm on every email, lead every meeting, like...what.

Like I've been here 10 hellish weeks and 8 of them I've been very, very clearly identified as top dog here.

I had a good laugh about how loving oblivious you have to be.