Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Crasical posted:

I'm not going to put forth the theory that you can't write a good game about being villain protagonists, and there's actually probably a good argument to be made that base-state, a lot of the splats are exactly that.

I am going to say that give the concept of 'Be the monster you were always meant to be' jives against a certain constant that a lot of other splats have upheld, IE that entirely rejecting your humanity is a bad idea. Every splat can be a villain, but none of them really glorify the villainy the way Beast does.

I'm going to belatedly put forward that villain-specific gamelines tend to be bad by virtue of most players being patently incapable of handling them with any grace or nuance. There's something about pointing out that 'this is the villain splat' that breaks peoples' brains, and this applies to people that I considered to be relatively good/responsible players prior to making the jump in the first place. Like, to this day, I have never seen people play villain splats in a way that's anything other than an excuse to out-edgelord one another.

That isn't to say it can't be written well, or in a way that doesn't automatically feel like some rando on the bus touching your hair and breathing down your neck ala Beast. I just don't have a ton of faith re: what's done with the material once it's published.

edit: I'm willing to concede that maybe I just know a slew of poo poo players, though.

edit 2: oh god dammit, the worst snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

citybeatnik posted:

That's one of my mild concerns with Deviant, since I'm not sure that there's much room in there for a full splat.

On the other hand it'll let you play as, like, Guyver meets Oldboy meets The Bride and I gotta support everything about that.

You've got a solid grasp on the pop culture side of Evil Science, then add in the historical examples. There's a lot there.

Personally, I want to play someone with such potent Orgone powers that they correct the fung shui layout of a room just by lingering in it long enough. "lol whoops sorry that vase went flying into that other corner, the energy waves from my boner power are irrepressible."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

You weren’t playing as a kraken - you were playing as a kraken’s official twitter account.

Before everything else, this is what unsold me on Beast. I asked "Huh... could you play... Godzilla?" And a lot of folks were all "yeah sure!" So I read it! You could not play Godzilla. You couldn't even Minilla. Also, hey, it was super gross and weird and I found Kurieg's F&F which was a giant help because it made sure I wasn't going crazy reading the implications.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

My version of Melanie (Sleeping Beauty) was in the Astral because a Tremere botched ripping out her soul due to untapped Astral Adept capabilities.

The players went to some lengths to help her wake up, restore her atrophied muscles (with Life to speed up healing, and the spell involved lowering her into a garter snake pit for a place yantra).

After that they eventually got involved in her Awakening and an Epuiad Seer camping out in her soul.

She's an obrimos now and sort of apprenticed to one of the PCs (though since both are teenagers it's less of a standard teacher/student relationship and more of a friendship/potential romance).

That's awesome. I was thinking of using her in my Changeling game if it ever happens.

And to elaborate briefly on my "Make Beasts the bad guys" idea, after reading through the excellent F&F review, it's clear to me that Beasts are trash monsters that deserve death, not just because of literally everything surrounding the game, but from their own book it's all about how they can influence an area.

That's bound to piss off the local Vampires/Werewolves/etc because they all have their own status qoue to maintain and here comes this rear end in a top hat with delusions of mythic grandeur loving everything up for everyone.

I'm not implying this justifies the game existing, just something I thought about.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There is nothing there to salvage. Don't bother.

Dec 26, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

That's awesome. I was thinking of using her in my Changeling game if it ever happens.

And to elaborate briefly on my "Make Beasts the bad guys" idea, after reading through the excellent F&F review, it's clear to me that Beasts are trash monsters that deserve death, not just because of literally everything surrounding the game, but from their own book it's all about how they can influence an area.

That's bound to piss off the local Vampires/Werewolves/etc because they all have their own status qoue to maintain and here comes this rear end in a top hat with delusions of mythic grandeur loving everything up for everyone.

I'm not implying this justifies the game existing, just something I thought about.

Canonically they have the stupid poochie aura that makes everyone (except Demons) think they're cool. No, this doesn't make sense with Werewolf/Changeling in particular at all.

Beasts are deeply annoying as NPCs in other lines. I was in a Hunter game which turned into Werewolf and among other terrible ideas my storyteller had (like trying to fit every single Compact/Conspiracy/Tribe/etc and nearly every splat into one city) he leaned on Beasts when he couldn't think of good enemies. Even with Heroes in play it was wildly difficult to get anything done against them and it was never fun or interesting.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dawgstar posted:

Before everything else, this is what unsold me on Beast. I asked "Huh... could you play... Godzilla?" And a lot of folks were all "yeah sure!" So I read it! You could not play Godzilla. You couldn't even Minilla. Also, hey, it was super gross and weird and I found Kurieg's F&F which was a giant help because it made sure I wasn't going crazy reading the implications.

Are Mokole still a thing? If not, are Were-Elephants?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah in all seriousness Mors is right. We've been down this road before, you can't salvage Beast. Steal a NPC maybe and chop, screw and remix it into something better than it was, sure. But you can't fix Beast because 1: it is a repugnant piece of work and 2: it really doesn't take much to make it no longer be Beast and you would be better off putting that brainpower to use tinkering with something you know you'd enjoy or want to engage with that wouldn't start with "so I've Ship of Theseus'd the hell out of this fool, who wants to throw it on the ocean and see if it sinks" to your players.

Beast is a grubby little craggy celestial body orbiting a dying star. It has no atmosphere, it has no life, it is openly and viciously radioactive. It is an inhospitable piece of work that stands as a naked testament to its creators sins. Know it exists and then go nowhere near it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beast is not a place of honor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are Mokole still a thing? If not, are Were-Elephants?

There is a new world of darkness book that has were-crocodiles and were-elephants.

It was written by Satyros Brucato.

Do not read it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think Beast's biggest problem is that it has no theme I can see, or if it has one it does not exhibit it well in it's mechanics or goals. And what it does exhibit is a bunch of abuse justification, apologia, and uncomfortable validation of the othering of people which to this day I'm not sure was intentional or accidental.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah I agree, and wasn't advocating for it, just letting some idle thoughts out that I'd had.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it shows how beloved the WoD is that when a bad game got released fans try to save it somehow.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

There is a new world of darkness book that has were-crocodiles and were-elephants.

It was written by Satyros Brucato.

Do not read it.

War Against the Pure and Skinchangers both had much better support for making weirdass were-animals of all types, use those instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The core (actually good) bits of Beast that should at least be considered to be salvageable are the ability to integrate with any splat and its heavier dealing with the Astral Plane and that side of the WoD cosmology. Everything else is pretty much tossable in a bin if only because the parts it came from were originally something poisonous and abhorrent and not just odd and slightly deranged like Changeling going from The Dreaming to The Lost.

Of course, Hunter is pretty well and good in being the former though there's not mechanical linkages for it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it shows how beloved the WoD is that when a bad game got released fans try to save it somehow.

There is this though.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

If you have the impulse to salvage Beast, go track down the fangame Leviathan: The Tempest, which I think is the closest thematically and actually doesn't start from a place of complete dysfunction. It has the same core conceit, "I'm a bad monster and I'm OK with it" from Vampire but goes in different directions.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's also probably the most functional of the fangames, though that's not really a high bar.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The thing I hate most about Beast is the fact that I really wanted an Astral splat to match up with the Spirit world and Underworld, but Beast had to come out and ruin the whole thing for everyone.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Lair mechanics are also kind of cool. The one thing that Beast actually gave me an itch for was an in-universe Killer Game Master who's Lair was a tomb-of-horrors esque classic DnD Deathtrap Fiesta.

Then I just made them a Changeling who abused the heck out of that 'You can open a hedgegate directly into your hollow from anywhere' merit. It scratched my itch for that particular concept and I had no need to interface with Beast Further.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
For obvious reasons, I think the WoD needs a book for running games where a group of antisocial weirdos overcome their social shortcomings to lead full, happy, offbeat lives.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

For obvious reasons, I think the WoD needs a book for running games where a group of antisocial weirdos overcome their social shortcomings to lead full, happy, offbeat lives.

You really need to read Changeling and Promethean.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I had one of those unbidden fonts of realization that the Mandragora Garden merit from Secrets of the Covenant is basically a Secret Vampire Grow Lab. Just gently misting cannabis plants with vampire blood down in a sealed basement so that some undead stoner can light up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ironslave posted:

I think Beast's biggest problem is that it has no theme I can see, or if it has one it does not exhibit it well in it's mechanics or goals. And what it does exhibit is a bunch of abuse justification, apologia, and uncomfortable validation of the othering of people which to this day I'm not sure was intentional or accidental.

The author was recently revealed to be a rapist, so yeah, it was intentional.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Zereth posted:

The author was recently revealed to be a rapist, so yeah, it was intentional.

So here's a thing I want to throw out there.

Matt's an utter piece of rapist trash.

But he also didn't really write most of the Beast book. A lot of people did. It was a really bad development cycle. Super rushed. A lot of people who had never worked with the WoD stuff before. And ultimately Matt did development fairly hands-off with an email list. Which meant that a whole hell of a lot of people were talking over each other and elevating the first idea they found cool. It's pretty much the worst example of "design by committee" I can think of.

During that process, a handful of people said, "Um, this is kinda gross?" But that never really gained traction among the cacophony of people saying, "Oh hey this thing would be cool and also this thing would be." It happened very fast. Like, across a month. And every day, we'd all wake up to a chain of 20 or more emails and it was just a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Without a coherent direction, Matt just sort of assigned little bits to a lot of people. Each writing in their own little island. TBH I don't think Matt actually wrote any of the first draft of the book everyone saw, except for like the introduction "how you use this book" bit.

There were a ton of people with little experience, and a few with experience throwing together words based on cobbled together ideas about a massive email chain with 500+ replies, and of course everyone had their own sort of idea of what the game should look like based on which emails they focused on. Everyone wrote on an island. The book is a mess because there's no coherent theme, and it's like 20 different books.

I personally wrote a very small chunk (I think actually my smallest contract ever for WW/CCP/OPP). I told Matt it was altogether too much to deal with, reading hundreds upon hundreds of emails just to do underpaid work on an elfgame. So I told him I'd do Merits, since I can do those in my sleep and did them for almost every other Chronicles book. A lot of my material was trimmed to nothingness. That happens. Ultimately the best I could do as a creator was develop the Hunter book for Beast, which was basically my sort of answer/criticism to Beast.

I know some of the people who wrote the things that people point to and say, "this is clear evidence the game was written by a rapist." A few of those people were also rape survivors, who were utterly devastated to hear their work was being attributed to a rapist. A few walked away from writing RPGs in the future. When they were writing what they were writing, they didn't see it in the greater context of what the game was, and some were just overcome with the nervousness of doing their first White Wolf core rulebook. They did a thing they thought was clever or edgy or whatever. That doesn't mean they're rapists.

Matt was irresponsible and negligent in not listening to the numerous people who told him he should fix it from moment one. Matt had a responsibility to the authors to look at what was there, and not allow it to be released in its state, after all the warnings. Matt had a responsibility to control the development process and present a coherent vision that didn't allow the writers to make something that was ultimately so harmful. He was rushed to compile a draft, because other books were late and they NEEDED that Kickstarter preview immediately. But I think it's important to note that pointing to a piece of text and saying, "clearly this was written by a rapist" can have unintended targets.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Nessus posted:

I think "selling" here is being parsed as "additional opportunities to purchase," as opposed to "delivering goods contracted and paid for." In other words, the interpretation is that these PDFs will go on DTRPG or something, as opposed to being sent to various backers

Modiphius' email stated that the PDFs will still be sold, assumably through their site.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MachineIV posted:

So here's a thing I want to throw out there.

Matt's an utter piece of rapist trash.

But he also didn't really write most of the Beast book. A lot of people did. It was a really bad development cycle. Super rushed. A lot of people who had never worked with the WoD stuff before. And ultimately Matt did development fairly hands-off with an email list. Which meant that a whole hell of a lot of people were talking over each other and elevating the first idea they found cool. It's pretty much the worst example of "design by committee" I can think of.

During that process, a handful of people said, "Um, this is kinda gross?" But that never really gained traction among the cacophony of people saying, "Oh hey this thing would be cool and also this thing would be." It happened very fast. Like, across a month. And every day, we'd all wake up to a chain of 20 or more emails and it was just a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Without a coherent direction, Matt just sort of assigned little bits to a lot of people. Each writing in their own little island. TBH I don't think Matt actually wrote any of the first draft of the book everyone saw, except for like the introduction "how you use this book" bit.

There were a ton of people with little experience, and a few with experience throwing together words based on cobbled together ideas about a massive email chain with 500+ replies, and of course everyone had their own sort of idea of what the game should look like based on which emails they focused on. Everyone wrote on an island. The book is a mess because there's no coherent theme, and it's like 20 different books.

I personally wrote a very small chunk (I think actually my smallest contract ever for WW/CCP/OPP). I told Matt it was altogether too much to deal with, reading hundreds upon hundreds of emails just to do underpaid work on an elfgame. So I told him I'd do Merits, since I can do those in my sleep and did them for almost every other Chronicles book. A lot of my material was trimmed to nothingness. That happens. Ultimately the best I could do as a creator was develop the Hunter book for Beast, which was basically my sort of answer/criticism to Beast.

I know some of the people who wrote the things that people point to and say, "this is clear evidence the game was written by a rapist." A few of those people were also rape survivors, who were utterly devastated to hear their work was being attributed to a rapist. A few walked away from writing RPGs in the future. When they were writing what they were writing, they didn't see it in the greater context of what the game was, and some were just overcome with the nervousness of doing their first White Wolf core rulebook. They did a thing they thought was clever or edgy or whatever. That doesn't mean they're rapists.

Matt was irresponsible and negligent in not listening to the numerous people who told him he should fix it from moment one. Matt had a responsibility to the authors to look at what was there, and not allow it to be released in its state, after all the warnings. Matt had a responsibility to control the development process and present a coherent vision that didn't allow the writers to make something that was ultimately so harmful. He was rushed to compile a draft, because other books were late and they NEEDED that Kickstarter preview immediately. But I think it's important to note that pointing to a piece of text and saying, "clearly this was written by a rapist" can have unintended targets.

Thank you for posting that. I've always been a little uncomfortable with how specifically attributable some of the bile for Beast gets sometimes, not that I've bothered to make a deal about it.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
If a rapist is at the helm, isnt that gonna shine through regardless of who is writing specific material, especially if hes keeping people on islands and no voice is developed except his own?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Since I'm feeling called out, I guess I'll respond.

I know Matt didn't write everything in the book, but as the lead designer and presumably the first person to get a crack at editing he's definitely responsible for telling people what to write, deciding what goes in the book, and how it's presented. And I know how he responded to criticism before and during the kickstarter. Belittling his detractors and promising changes that resulted in very little actual change(that was then undone in the storyteller chapter). I did spend the better part of a year trying to defend OPP and the writers of the book even while I critiqued the book itself for being pretty goddamned vile in composition. I was a little raw by the time I got to the players guide (for obvious goddamned reasons) which is also one of the reasons why I haven't finished reviewing it and really can't bring myself to do so. Even if the back half of the book is good I feel personally injured by the content of the first half and the knowledge of what Matt has done. Because I was molested as a kid, and finding out that I had been defending a rapist's honor was perhaps the lowest point of my life second only to that.

One I know I have (perhaps erroneously) attributed to Matt directly is the Talassi(The beasts who are cursed to be rapists and are heroic when they decide not to rape). If he didn't write that or at least heavily dictate the tone then that's one hell of a serendipitous coincidence.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Unoriginal Name posted:

If a rapist is at the helm, isnt that gonna shine through regardless of who is writing specific material, especially if hes keeping people on islands and no voice is developed except his own?

To an extent. But his development edits were very quick and hands off. A lot of it was just voice and typo stuff. The kind of draft where you can hit “accept all changes” and it’s basically done. The edits you can really point to as his specifically are the first to second public draft versions. Those were 100% him.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I know Matt didn't write everything in the book, but as the lead designer and presumably the first person to get a crack at editing he's definitely responsible for telling people what to write, deciding what goes in the book, and how it's presented. And I know how he responded to criticism before and during the kickstarter. Belittling his detractors and promising changes that resulted in very little actual change(that was then undone in the storyteller chapter).

Oh I agree. You can absolutely attribute it to his development and his negligence and his hostility toward detractors. I just think it’s important to note the potential problems with pathtologizing work by individual unknown contributors. He is absolutely responsible for how bad the game turned out. And he had a responsibility to the contributors that he betrayed.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

MachineIV posted:

Oh I agree. You can absolutely attribute it to his development and his negligence and his hostility toward detractors. I just think it’s important to note the potential problems with pathtologizing work by individual unknown contributors. He is absolutely responsible for how bad the game turned out. And he had a responsibility to the contributors that he betrayed.

I feel like all of this wouldn't be a bad idea to issue as a public statement now that it's entered back into peoples' minds. It may not bring some of the nervous/bailing writers back, but it might do good by them to be more open about the development cycle. IDK how eager OPP is to do that, but given the hostility that surrounded Beast from McFuckBag's end of things, it seems like it injured their work in the eyes of a number of people. Maybe I'm wrong an definitive statements would just make things worse, or maybe it's already been done, but idk. Feels like openly acknowledging this and even some people being honest about whether or not they knew these allegations before wouldn't hurt things, especially in this era.

Might hurt in terms of getting back some slings and arrows, but, I mean. The damage, technically, is already done.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 15, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Old Boot posted:

I feel like all of this wouldn't be a bad idea to issue as a public statement now that it's entered back into peoples' minds. It may not bring some of the nervous/bailing writers back, but it might do good by them to be more open about the development cycle. IDK how eager OPP is to do that, but given the hostility that surrounded Beast from McFuckBag's end of things, it seems like it injured their work in the eyes of a number of people. Maybe I'm wrong an definitive statements would just make things worse, or maybe it's already been done, but idk. Feels like openly acknowledging this and even some people being honest about whether or not they knew these allegations before wouldn't hurt things, especially in this era.

Might hurt in terms of getting back some slings and arrows, but, I mean. The damage, technically, is already done.

At this point the general assumption among my gaming group is that any incarnation of White Wolf or White Wolf-derived company, while they may have something interesting at the moment, either is or will soon become a garbage fire and should be avoided. That includes Onyx Path after Beast, let alone after M20, Exalted 3e kickstarter, Olivia Hill's firing...

They've got a lot of perhaps survivable individually PR disasters piling up, and a lot of them aren't being managed well or are actively awful.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yeah, I'm reminded of the parable of the factory workers who think they are making baby cots but when they try to make a cot of their own by taking a component from each assembly line and putting them together they end up with a machine gun.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Warthur posted:

Yeah, I'm reminded of the parable of the factory workers who think they are making baby cots but when they try to make a cot of their own by taking a component from each assembly line and putting them together they end up with a machine gun.

Does it shine through with Demon and Promethean?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inspiration help - what powers or numina might a "spirit of angles" familiar have? I was thinking perhaps being able to fold and conceal itself in corners, and maybe take people with it.

Also open to any cool stories of unusual spirits that would still make sense within the game world without being magath.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

kaynorr posted:

If you have the impulse to salvage Beast, go track down the fangame Leviathan: The Tempest, which I think is the closest thematically and actually doesn't start from a place of complete dysfunction. It has the same core conceit, "I'm a bad monster and I'm OK with it" from Vampire but goes in different directions.

I still haven't forgiven Leviathan for going with "Bahamutans" instead of "Behemoths" for a splat.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Does it shine through with Demon and Promethean?
I don't think anyone is actually saying that every itty bitty thing an rapist oversees is going to be dripping with rape. What they are saying is that when an abuser oversees a project directly about abuse, then that's going to have an effect on the end product. Promethean I don't know about, the theme and concept doesn't interest me so I've never read it. Demon was overtly fixated on the espionage-and-Cold-War thing and presenting the PCs as rogue agents staying one step ahead of the Worldwide Frankenstein Communist Gangster Computer God, which doesn't really lend itself to drifting in the direction Beast went.

(Pssst, Dave: people are giving you a lifeline to say that the overall problems with Beast were not the collective responsibility of all the writers on the project, but primarily the responsibility of Matt as its overseer. If you want us to believe that it's not wholly Matt's fault how Beast turned out, that's not helping OPP or its freelancers. Not even slightly.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Warthur posted:

(Pssst, Dave: people are giving you a lifeline to say that the overall problems with Beast were not the collective responsibility of all the writers on the project, but primarily the responsibility of Matt as its overseer. If you want us to believe that it's not wholly Matt's fault how Beast turned out, that's not helping OPP or its freelancers. Not even slightly.)

Is it at all useful or healthy to pretend it's all his fault when it wasn't? The fact that maybe a lot of the unfortunate implications were thoughtless mistakes instead of some singular villain's plan doesn't make Matt any less a rapist. But pretending otherwise probably makes it harder for those who are just misguided to improve. He's responsible enough for the overall project as its developer without trying to erase everyone else to make him solely responsible. The truth of this kind of thing can't be useless.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dammit Who? posted:

I still haven't forgiven Leviathan for going with "Bahamutans" instead of "Behemoths" for a splat.

Thus actually makes sense to me, in that Bahamut is a fish, and Behemoth is a land animal whose name got swapped for Leviathan somehow by the medieval Muslims that came up with Bahamut and Kuyutha (the cow that probably got its name taken from Leviathan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Is it at all useful or healthy to pretend it's all his fault when it wasn't? The fact that maybe a lot of the unfortunate implications were thoughtless mistakes instead of some singular villain's plan doesn't make Matt any less a rapist. But pretending otherwise probably makes it harder for those who are just misguided to improve. He's responsible enough for the overall project as its developer without trying to erase everyone else to make him solely responsible. The truth of this kind of thing can't be useless.
You are right; I'm just flinching a bit from exchanges on RPG.net where it seemed like a) criticism of Beast's Very Obvious Faults seemed to be taken as attacks on the individual freelancers who worked on it, when in fact Matt was in overall charge of the project, but b) at the same time there seemed to be an almost co-ordinated effort (like, it felt like the OPP posters involved were all posting from the same sheet of talking points) to make like Matt's role in Beast was actually minimal. There seemed to be this general sense that we should accept Beast as this thing which just sort of descended from the Platonic realm of thoughts and ideas, authored by nobody, the responsibility of nobody, with nobody willing to definitively claim any portion as their work but nobody willing to ascribe anyone's overall vision to it either. That, in effect, a collection of letters just happened to fall out of a word processor and got printed by OPP out of muscle reflex.