Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
That was loving weird. We don’t need Conan on an Andy Cohen set wearing “hip” clothes that somehow made him look more formal.

Can you imagine Minty or Preparation H Raymond appearing on this show? I can’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Sounds like it was what I feared it would be: a shorter, more awkward version of an already bad show. Even the lousy comedy bits are the same. I give it three shows before they bring back the Guy Dressed as a Game of Thrones Character who Really Loves Wahlburgers.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Just give us 22 minutes of sketches, bits, and remotes because that's what you're best at, Conan.

I understand they're the format's reason for existing but so few celebrities have anything interesting to say so I rarely watch interviews.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Those are the clothes Conan wears normally. I don’t think he’s trying to make a statement with em besides being tired of suits.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so the tom hanks interview is cut into 2 min clips on youtube. awesome.

kinda feel spoiled by colbert and kimmel posting whole segments

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pull up ... pull up ... pull up.

That was pretty uninspired and not a new format at all, just a cut down regular Conan show that kept the less funny bits. This does not bode well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I kinda checked out. I'd attribute it to first episode labor pains if it weren't the fact that he's the senior late night guy on TV. But maybe it'll take off. I really hope so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The half hour format extra sucks when the one and only guest is the cast of a TV show you've never seen and don't care about at all (The Good Place). This definitely feels like one of those Comic-Con episodes. Except with some of those, I actually cared about the thing that the cast was in.

At least this one had a Jordan Schlansky bit, which are some of the absolute best Conan bits of the last several years, and this one has him going to Olive Garden, which was probably one of the most uncomfortable experiences for him :allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

a TV show you've never seen and don't care about at all (The Good Place)
You need to fix this ASAP

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pwn posted:

You need to fix this ASAP
Why? I haven't really heard anyone talk about it, good or bad, so I never had a strong desire to check it out I guess.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
It's really good, also go in blind.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Why? I haven't really heard anyone talk about it, good or bad, so I never had a strong desire to check it out I guess.

People talk about it and it seems to be universally praised.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I've seen like ten different thinkpieces about how amazing it is. The hype is pretty strong, it's just that there's so much TV these days you can just kind of miss the existence of the Most Highly Rated And Critically Acclaimed Thing now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I'm in the minority in that I don't hate the show, but I don't see what's so incredible about it. :shrug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I’ve watched some of it since my wife is a fan and it feels like a standard schmaltzy network show that gets elevated by the strength of its acting talent. Sterling K Brown could sell any role.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait are we at the point now where thinkpieces are no longer just a joke?

What a proud day for civilization.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I’ve watched some of it since my wife is a fan and it feels like a standard schmaltzy network show that gets elevated by the strength of its acting talent. Sterling K Brown could sell any role.
we’re not talking about This Is Us :confused:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kv-XJ0n9gM

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nichael posted:

It seemed like his old show cut in half, which really isn't what it should be at all. It sucks because I think Conan is as funny as ever as an individual, but shackling him to a talk show like this doesn't let him actually do his best.

After watching the travel shows in Netflix, I think that Conan used to be much, much better at emergent comedy, and on spontaneously thinking on his feet than what was seen on those.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did Conan do 2 episodes tonight? My DVR recorded 2, Tig Notaro and Steven Yeun, both from tonight :confused:

e: Nevermind, it recorded Tig's episode twice under 2 different names. The Steven Yeun episode is Tuesday's show.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 29, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm sure he's done this elsewhere and I'm late to the party, but Dana Carvey's Lennon/McCartney bit on the Conan podcast killed me. First time I've had to worry about laughing too much at work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LfwtdM8Fg

I haven't been a big fan of the new show so far but this bit was loving amazing.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ellen Page on Colbert was amazing. Not your usual fluffy interview segment.

God drat.

pwn
May 27, 2004

From 2015

Jessica Winter, David Letterman Raised Me

quote:

Not that there’s any way ever to erase him from that landscape. Letterman’s influence on the entertainment world is so totalizing as to be invisible—it doesn’t bear explicitly Letterman-like markers so much as it simply ingested his entire sensibility. If you think something is funny, chances are that Letterman is right there, in on the joke with you. His public-access production values and halting parade of misfits anticipated Tim and Eric. His constant low-level hum of discomfort anticipated the advent of cringe comedy. His insider-y tweaking of network brass anticipated the Sheinhardt Wig Company of 30 Rock. His endless waterfall of instant-classic remote segments anticipated Kimmel and Fallon’s reorganization of late-night programming as discrete segments built to go viral. His overall attitude of reflexive irony and cheerful pessimism anticipated the invention of Generation X. “I think if you have any sense,” Letterman once said, “you’ll adopt the view of life that if the bucket of poo poo can explode, it will explode.”

Justin Peters, The first late-night show ever was insane. Why have we never heard of it?

quote:

Late-night television began, as most great things do, as a scheme to sell beer bottles. In the spring of 1950, a glassware company called Anchor Hocking wanted to improve its relationship with beer breweries and hopefully dissuade them from packaging their beverages in plastic containers or aluminum cans. The company devised a novel strategy: It would sponsor a nightly television program on NBC and redistribute advertising time on the program to its brewery clients, offering them “local cut-in announcements plugging the beers according to the appropriate distribution,” Billboard reported. By this scheme, Anchor Hocking would lure the brewers, and the brewers would lure the layabout drunks who had nowhere to be in the mornings. The rest, as they say, is television history.

“Program is to be a low budget revue, produced by NBC,” wrote Billboard, featuring music, dancing, comedy sketches, the occasional celebrity guest, and a quick-witted host to hold everything together. The show would air every weeknight from 11 p.m. to midnight—which at the time was uncharted territory for network television. Broadway Open House, as the show was called, was set to debut in May 1950.

Seth Stevenson, YouTube Killed the Studio Audience

quote:

I headed to Late Night With Seth Meyers, where the guy who warmed up the crowd seemed visibly nervous, as if he would mess up the show by being lame. The five-piece band played desultory pop covers during breaks but, because regular bandleader Fred Armisen was absent, they weren’t allowed to interact conversationally with Meyers. This made them seem like a backup wedding combo that is tolerated but not beloved. Meanwhile, the most jazzed the studio audience ever got was when a young woman sitting in front of me spotted Lutz from 30 Rock in the wings. She yelped with glee, and Lutz happily gave us all a big wave.

And then I saw Letterman. It felt almost regal to enter the Ed Sullivan Theater beneath a lit marquee on 53rd and Broadway instead of through some unmarked, dented metal door on an industrial block of Hell’s Kitchen. The theater for the Late Show With David Letterman seats 450 people instead of 100, and its rococo balcony offers a glorious vista over the sprawling stage where the Beatles first performed in America. Instead of bathing us in washed-out, piped-in music, or a half-hearted pop quintet, Paul Shaffer and the CBS orchestra rocked us with a wall of sound, including a horn section that blasted riffs clear to the theater rafters.

It’s no surprise, of course, that the studio audience experience is radically different at the Late Show than it is everywhere else. An upstart talk show on Comedy Central is a very different breed than a late-night legacy brand on a major network. But still, it was hard not to sit in that Late Show studio audience and feel—for the first time—indispensable. Letterman puts on a show. He presents fully-rounded entertainment, and he feeds off the energy in the room. This is a big, brassy venue with a live orchestra, instead of a cramped black-box studio with somebody’s iPod plugged into ceiling speakers. And Letterman needed us there.

Troy Patterson, We Were With Coco

quote:

The Conan of Late Night and The Tonight Show was wonderfully volatile and strange. The throwaway experimental spirit, the earnest aw-shucks self-deprecation, and the casual sacrilege of such lovely grotesqueries as vomiting Kermit: All of this made him magnetic. So it’s odd to see all his manias coagulated into mannerisms. It is as if the process of being hammered into an icon—a process partly encouraged by O’Brien’s blue period of jeering at NBC—has flattened his self-presentation. Though the endearing weirdness of old still flickers in spontaneous moments, when improvisation encourages a certain looseness, it generally feels as if he is sticking to a script.

Somehow missed these the first time around.

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 12, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Carson Daly is leaving Last Call after seventeen years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Edward Mass posted:

Carson Daly is leaving Last Call after seventeen years.
Has anyone even watched Last Call in the last seventeen years? lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

I happened to see it a few months ago, and I like the musical guest so much that I bought her album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRa16F_CQuM

But you’re right, nobody’s watching it. When I saw that performance, the next day, I went to find it on YouTube to listen again, and was taken aback by the views

It’s like that all the way down.

His show continues to exist out of intertia; NBC claimed that 1:37 AM slot from local stations back in the 80s with Bob Costas’s Later, and they don’t like to relinquish time back to local stations.

The funny thing is, because nobody’s paying attention, Daly’s show’s been able to promote subversive viewpoints at times. I can’t have a hope of digging up a specific clip, but I’ve seen people talk about prison reform on there, years before the topic really entered the wider conversation.

Anyway, Daly hasn’t actually done a late night talk show in about a decade. The show he’s leaving is a thing for which he recorded bookends to interviews conducted by others, and musical performances at The Troubadour. So maybe Jameela Jamil will take over? She’s been featured a lot lately, conducting actual interviews.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I used to be a real night owl, and I would watch all the late night shows on NBC. I would turn off the TV when I drowsily realized that Last Call was on. I only saw glimpses of it sporadically.

What's funny is how the setting of the stages of the shows got worse with each later show. The Tonight Show? Gorgeous set. Late Show? Not gorgeous, but still pretty good. Last Call? It was like a polished-up 1970s melamine desk from a Goodwill and two generic stackable waiting room chairs beside it. And after a while, they even got rid of his set! The last time I ran across that show (probably a few years ago), I was amazed it was still a thing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Carson Daly is the Milton of NBC. His show was actually cancelled years ago, but no one told him and thanks to some weird glitch in accounting he's continued to receive a paycheck this whole time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've only watched one episode of Last Call in years. It was because one of my favorite bands (Caspian) was the musical guest, although it wasn't them performing on his stage or anything. It was just footage his crew captured at one of their shows. Basically I could've just seen the same thing on YouTube instead of watching his show.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Why the gently caress was his show not called Carson Nightly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiQXYlw6eZY

Conan's going to Australia

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I've only watched one episode of Last Call in years. It was because one of my favorite bands (Caspian) was the musical guest, although it wasn't them performing on his stage or anything. It was just footage his crew captured at one of their shows. Basically I could've just seen the same thing on YouTube instead of watching his show.

That's fitting, because "I could've just seen the same thing on YouTube" perfectly describes his previous show as well.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 13, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

I recently found a recording Daly’s first show after the 2007-2008 WGA strike began, and I had completely forgotten that he was the first late night host to return to television.

Besides Letterman’s Worldwide Pants, who negotiated with the WGA directly to meet their demands, everyone else was given the choice to go back on the air, or have their staff laid off.

I wish I could put that episode online, but I recorded it in DVR-MS format and have yet to figure out how to turn that into something usable. Also, no-one wants to watch it

More tragic is my locating a rerun during the strike of an episode of Conan from June 18 2007, featuring The White Stripes — in glorious 1080i — and having no way to share it with the world. But hey, have some screenshots, and get quasi-nostalgic for a time when Conan was ebbing to the end of his Golden Age, and networks fuckin’ loved to hype that you were watching the HD feed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMy267wEpqo

:allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a great moment in the Daniel Radcliffe episode where the fake australian cracks up about the platypus.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My local station used to just sign off the air after Late Nite for the first few years of Carson Daly's show. I'm surprised he lasted after NBC passed him up (obviously) for Late Nite, and then when NBC was willing to forget his show ever existed when they wanted to bump Leno to 11:35. I'll miss being able to make Carson Daly jokes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

wa27 posted:

My local station used to just sign off the air after Late Nite for the first few years of Carson Daly's show. I'm surprised he lasted after NBC passed him up (obviously) for Late Nite, and then when NBC was willing to forget his show ever existed when they wanted to bump Leno to 11:35. I'll miss being able to make Carson Daly jokes.
I liked that he was honest about it on the Today Show on Wednesday. "I started to feel like I was squatting on the time slot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_w6vGgqcs

I've watched him on Today for years, and it's helped soften my view on him. He lost both of his parents in 2017, one of whom he spoke about this morning:

https://www.today.com/video/carson-daly-honors-late-mom-with-important-message-on-heart-health-1443167811708

Which is really hard to square with how much joy I've taken in cruelly mocking him for the past 20 years. Massive Tool, etc. True, his show was not funny, back when it was trying to be funny, and I kinda can't believe he ever considered himself heir apparent to the Late Night franchise. But, he's a genuinely likeable dude. It's oddly comforting to always have the same show to remind me after Late Night: "It's time to watch something else."

Anyway, #2,000 is his last Last Call, and last night ended the week at episode #1,969 (nice,) so we've got a few months left before Nightly with Jameela Jamil or whoever NBC replaces him with starts up

Fake edit: gently caress it, have some shoegaze from a recent episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynul6E4zUJ8

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Last week's Conan podcast with Colbert and this new one with Timothy Olyphant could not be more different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

pwn posted:

I liked that he was honest about it on the Today Show on Wednesday. "I started to feel like I was squatting on the time slot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_w6vGgqcs

I've watched him on Today for years, and it's helped soften my view on him. He lost both of his parents in 2017, one of whom he spoke about this morning:

https://www.today.com/video/carson-daly-honors-late-mom-with-important-message-on-heart-health-1443167811708

Which is really hard to square with how much joy I've taken in cruelly mocking him for the past 20 years. Massive Tool, etc. True, his show was not funny, back when it was trying to be funny, and I kinda can't believe he ever considered himself heir apparent to the Late Night franchise. But, he's a genuinely likeable dude. It's oddly comforting to always have the same show to remind me after Late Night: "It's time to watch something else."

Anyway, #2,000 is his last Last Call, and last night ended the week at episode #1,969 (nice,) so we've got a few months left before Nightly with Jameela Jamil or whoever NBC replaces him with starts up

Fake edit: gently caress it, have some shoegaze from a recent episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynul6E4zUJ8

Well, hell, now I want Jameela Jamil to host something.