Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taikuri posted:

I don't think neither Zeke or Levi are dead.

You don't end a chapter on "The Merciful Man Takes an Eldian's Life Away..." if neither dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You don't end a chapter on "The Merciful Man Takes an Eldian's Life Away..." if neither dies.

Counterpoint: you absolutely do that.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Yeah, I'm gonna need to just... wait... until the next chapter. :sigh:

Just because I was trying to be prepared for poo poo to go down on Levi doesn't mean I wanted it to happen :cry: i cannot see his right arm in that last panel

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Schwarzwald posted:

That sentence is summation of chapter. Zeke wants to stop new Eldian babies to be born, thus they don't need to suffer world's cruelty, because that is the only mercy he can show them.

Or then you are completely right and I will drop whole series next chapter now that 2 best girls are dead and I don't want to read about a world without them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Counterpoint: you absolutely do that.

it does happen a lot in manga tbh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it does happen a lot in manga tbh

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So after all that, what the hell does Eren want to do. Because there’s no way he believes in Zeke’s plan, it goes against everything he’s said and done so far

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

so somehow I managed to fall three issues behind. What a read! All of my previous ideas have disintegrated and I am on the WTF is even happening wagon now

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Asuron posted:

So after all that, what the hell does Eren want to do. Because there’s no way he believes in Zeke’s plan, it goes against everything he’s said and done so far

I'm not sure Eren knows Zeke's actual plan. Actually, let me rephrase that: Zeke almost certainly thinks Eren doesn't know it. Whether he's right should become apparent very soon, gut feeling is telling me he's not.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Asuron posted:

Eren's true intentions and the shape of the Paradise Invasion plans are the last remaining x-factors in this glorious clusterfuck, yes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The reveal on the full extent of the titan powers takes things from "will Eren or won't Eren do the rumbling plan" to "what the gently caress could Eren possible have planned given the ludicrous extend of his potential."

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Right now, my best guess is Eren will use the founding titan to make newborn Eldians un-titanizable, freeing them from Ymir's gift/curse. That means the next generation will be safe(r), while the current generation uses the threat of the rumbling to keep the rest of the world at bay until they die out.

Zeke doesn't know this, and thinks Eren will sterilize Eldians instead.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

In It For The Tank posted:

Right now, my best guess is Eren will use the founding titan to make newborn Eldians un-titanizable, freeing them from Ymir's gift/curse. That means the next generation will be safe(r), while the current generation uses the threat of the rumbling to keep the rest of the world at bay until they die out.

So the Anti-Paradise Coalition just blockades the island for like two decades to prevent economic and technical advancement, then roll in and slaughter everyone and take the oil once the nuke buttons die.

AKA what North Korea specifically developed ICBM nukes to prevent from happening to them.

If that's seriously Eren's plan, he's even dumber than I thought.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How is he going to do that though without either Zeke or Historia or another of the royal bloodline, which are essential to be able to tap into the coordinate power? Looking into my crystal ball, I see Eren eating all other titans and then handing the newly unified titan over to Historia. But who knows.

I also expect we will see the wall titans come alive at some point of course. That will be a grand battle scene.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bilirubin posted:

How is he going to do that though without either Zeke or Historia or another of the royal bloodline, which are essential to be able to tap into the coordinate power? Looking into my crystal ball, I see Eren eating all other titans and then handing the newly unified titan over to Historia. But who knows.

I also expect we will see the wall titans come alive at some point of course. That will be a grand battle scene.

If by chance Zeke is actually blown to poo poo, that option is flat off the table.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

So the Anti-Paradise Coalition just blockades the island for like two decades to prevent economic and technical advancement, then roll in and slaughter everyone and take the oil once the nuke buttons die.

AKA what North Korea specifically developed ICBM nukes to prevent from happening to them.

If that's seriously Eren's plan, he's even dumber than I thought.

The idea would be in the meantime (which would certainly be longer than two decades, it would be closer to a century as the shifter powers are passed around the last of the aging "final" generation) they develop technology using the ~special resources~ (iceburst stones + big loving trees + crystal powers) inherent to Paradis to catch up with/surpass the rest of the world, along with diplomatic and trade relations with countries like Not!Japan, to give them the potential to join the world as an equal player and stave off a retributory invasion.

Bilirubin posted:

How is he going to do that though without either Zeke or Historia or another of the royal bloodline, which are essential to be able to tap into the coordinate power?

I believe Historia is carrying Eren's kid (Eren will reveal this as a deliberate "gently caress you" to Zeke's antinatal beliefs) and that Historia will agree to help Eren to give her child a better future.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 8, 2019

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think he can alter Eldians who are alive too, not just newborns. This is my guess too. It also fits with saving Mikasa and Armin. By removing paths he gives them back their free will.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that was the first thing I thought of when it came up in the chapter. was surprised zeke didn't even stop to consider the idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hold out hope eren is going to commit global genocide because that would be a cool and unexpected ending

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that was the first thing I thought of when it came up in the chapter. was surprised zeke didn't even stop to consider the idea

It's probably crosses his mind, but he's seen how Eldians are treated just for the legacy of Titans, so he probably thinks that would only exacerbate the issue, taking away their only means of power. He just wants to be done with it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jose posted:

I hold out hope eren is going to commit global genocide because that would be a cool and unexpected ending

After all the hype the last dozen chapters we need atleast 1 wall of colossals rumbled.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Step 1: Wake the wall titans and trigger global apocalypse
Step 2: Freeze every Eldian with hardening
Step 3: To you, 2000 years from now...

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Squidster posted:

And the 4th wall gets created. All of this has happened before and will happen again.

edit: this only works if they only transform normal eldians and not the wall titans. didn't think this through.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 9, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Squidster posted:

our minds will be blown when it turns out Dr Stone was the sequel all along

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eren will actually make everyone titanizable into one of the seven titans they want to be and then the rumbling will happen but all the eldians transform and will band together in an EPIC cataclysmic battle!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

RatHat posted:

Huh, is the Tragedy of Lago what's in this ending for the anime? I guess Isayama must've told the anime guys some future stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbfHY8mkhT8
I wanna say all the seasons have had not-yet-released manga bits and pieces in them that weren't really "spoilers" but definitely didn't make any sense until the new mangas came out.

So, when you consider that the titan folk can see both forward and backward through their paths, technically Xaver was watching.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I loving love it how we get taken back and shown another angle of this event in this flashblack. I love all how the story is being told through not so much action but through just conversations. I also like seeing all the future warriors as children.

On ending ideas being passed around, have you guys seen the last panel? The author showed a sketch of the last panel awhile ago I recently found in a news article.
I'll spoiler it just in chase but it doesn't show you that much.

The words in the picture are "You are free".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 10, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I find it pretty amazingly coincidental that we got the story of Zeke, a guy who would sue his own parents for giving birth to him, at the same time a guy in real life is suing his parents for giving birth to him.

I could be stretching but it's the vibe I got.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Schwarzwald posted:

This might be a matter of a translator working with a slightly ambiguous Japanese phrase since the Mangastream translation has it read as "The Merciful Man ...will take away Eldian lives..."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This make a shitload more sense now

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jose posted:

to you 2000 years from now you don't exist cause i just killed everyone, you're welcome

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The manga started with kids like Armin pushed into war early and making decisions like super brilliant adults and now it's adults acting like dumb children

I guess we've gone full circle?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This chapter raises the possibility that Eren plans to unleash the Rumbling and save the Eldians by turning them all into Titans at the same time. Then, once the global slate has been cleaned, he'll simply turn them back into humans.

Of course, this means like the Ackermans might get slaughtered in meantime, but Eren's made it explicitly clear he thinks they're subhuman mongrels unworthy of life anyway, so he may just see that as a nice bonus.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I don’t know how to tell you this but the story is not ending in global genocide. No matter how much you wish for it, no matter how many times you show excitement at the idea of it, it is simply not happening.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Asuron posted:

I don’t know how to tell you this but the story is not ending in global genocide. No matter how much you wish for it, no matter how many times you show excitement at the idea of it, it is simply not happening.

I was just speculating on the possible motivations and goals of the characters as presented in the story. Which currently center around nuclear blackmail and brinkmanship. Just because it obviously won't happen doesn't mean there is no threat of it happening in-universe.

And if you say that means there really is no threat, that means nothing that happens in the story until the final chapter actually matters because obviously god (the author) won't let the villains truly win, so we're obviously all wasting our time fretting over Levi and speculating on character motivations and plans and such and this topic should just be gassed right now.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Plutonis posted:

This make a shitload more sense now

Need a refresher. Which chapter is this from?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Turn A posted:

Need a refresher. Which chapter is this from?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like this guy is maybe missing the point of the series a bit but I can’t remember enough of the plot and specifics to point out why.
Now the meme that AoT is anti Semitic is being shared all over twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1094821561050324993

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I remember when the Jews ruled the world with their titan forms.

Edit: The main thing they're ignoring so they can do their hot take is that 95% of the cast is Eldian ("Jewish") and also that nowhere do they suggest that what has happened to the main characters has been a good thing.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I have a Jewish roommate who really likes the series and a Jewish friend who works on the anime. The blatant Nazi imagery isn't lost on them, because you'd have to be an idiot to not see it. But you'd have to be an even bigger idiot to think that the manga's thesis is "subjugating vague Jewish-analogue is good".
But more than likely these folks haven't read it, because that's been the case when this has come up in the past.