Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bagheera posted:

Quick and creative uses for ricotta cheese?

Maybe not creative but you can whip up an unbaked cheesecake easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

I made my first batch of homemade ricotta cheese last week. So far I've used it: spread on toast with strawberries or jelly; pesto ricotta pizza (with they whey in place of water in the dough).

My 2-year-old adores it, and I want to make a batch every week. What are some quick (10 minutes or less) ways I can use ricotta? Omelettes? Spread on toast? ... I'm out of ideas.

Also, how long will ricotta last in the fridge? I make with homogenized pastuerized whole milk and heavy cream. The milk lasts 10-14 days in the fridge before smelling sour (though we usually drink it all before then). The cream lasts 3-4 weeks. Will the ricotta last as long?

Mine keeps 2 weeks just fine.

Herbed ricotta toasts - just mince finely chop some herbs and/or alliums of choice. We like Barefoot Contessa's but it adapts to other herbs well. 1/2 cup parsley + 1 Tbsp mint + squeeze of lemon on top of the toasts works well too.

Not under 10 minutes but worth it:

"Melted" leek and ricotta toasts

"Pink spaghetti" - super simple and I love beets. Ignore the "part skim" mention in the recipe, it worked fine with full fat.

Bacon and leek tart - a fave.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Kimchi is going well (this has been my best fermentation so far!). My crock has weights so all the cabbage is pretty well submerged, but a few dozen green onion pieces ended up on the surface. Could those go off? Maybe just skim those off before I put everything in the fridge?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's fine. Tiny old halmeonis have been making this for over a century by tossing everything into a clay pot and burying it for a while. A couple green onions floating around isn't gonna do poo poo.

You should be eating some anyway by now. Fresh kimchi is delicious and extremely different than sour kimchi which is way different than well aged kimchi.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a good recipe for making gyro meat at home? I have tried a recipe before and it came out well. It tasted pretty good but the texture wasn't quite the same as what I get from shops around town. I used my kitchen aid mixer and used the meat grinder attachment on the smallest setting to grin up the beef and lamb. Then I used the paddle and beat it in the mixer for a bit (10 minutes I think it was) before forming into a loaf and baking.

I want to make it again for a get together with friends but want to do a couple test runs first before then.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trastion posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for making gyro meat at home? I have tried a recipe before and it came out well. It tasted pretty good but the texture wasn't quite the same as what I get from shops around town. I used my kitchen aid mixer and used the meat grinder attachment on the smallest setting to grin up the beef and lamb. Then I used the paddle and beat it in the mixer for a bit (10 minutes I think it was) before forming into a loaf and baking.

I want to make it again for a get together with friends but want to do a couple test runs first before then.

One of the really important things is to salt the ground meat mixture and knead it thoroughly, then let it rest for at least an hour. This restructures the proteins and gives that bouncy texture.

I've made this several times and it's been a huge success every time.

I do recommend a food processor if you have it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

One of the really important things is to salt the ground meat mixture and knead it thoroughly, then let it rest for at least an hour. This restructures the proteins and gives that bouncy texture.

I've made this several times and it's been a huge success every time.

I do recommend a food processor if you have it.

Thanks for the link. I will have to try out the things he said and see how it goes.

How did you cook it? He says cook the loaf then slice it up and broiler it a bit to get crispy. I might try that. When i made it last time I baked the loaf and then sliced it and pan fried to get crispy/reheat.

My friend has a rotisserie thing for doing chickens, i wonder if we could rig it up to work. It is horizontal instead of vertical though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

so when a real one is made with the rotate stuff IIRC they thinly slice lamb/beef/lamb/bee/lamb/beef and build it that way. You'd need a slicer to get the stuff thin enough.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

so when a real one is made with the rotate stuff IIRC they thinly slice lamb/beef/lamb/bee/lamb/beef and build it that way. You'd need a slicer to get the stuff thin enough.

They carve it off the spit with a knife at most places.
A little patience and a sharp knife and you can shave it plenty thin at home

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

toplitzin posted:

They carve it off the spit with a knife at most places.
A little patience and a sharp knife and you can shave it plenty thin at home

Oh I'm referencing assembly rather than carving. I guess people hand carve that step too which I can't imagine is enjoyable.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That seems to be the difference between real Gyro meat and American-Gyro meat according to that serious eats article. The real Greek places do layers of meat stacked like that but the American version is cones of meat that has been processed to blend together.

This is what the American versions are like.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trastion posted:

That seems to be the difference between real Gyro meat and American-Gyro meat according to that serious eats article. The real Greek places do layers of meat stacked like that but the American version is cones of meat that has been processed to blend together.

oh bugger I didn't realize they were americanized so bad. Dont really read serious-eats anymore. I'm curious what my fav gyros use though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trastion posted:

Are they really only $50? I guess this is my next cookout plan. I wonder how hard it would be to build a makeshift rotisserie.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've made the Serious Eats ones several times and the taste is pretty dead on "mall gyros". I've also made swapped in some shawarma seasoning for the oregano and changed the toppings around and it tastes pretty close to the local shawarma places.

I honestly don't think having thinly sliced crispy shaved pressed meat instead of thinly sliced crispy shaved layered meat makes all that much of a difference.

Trastion posted:

Thanks for the link. I will have to try out the things he said and see how it goes.

How did you cook it? He says cook the loaf then slice it up and broiler it a bit to get crispy. I might try that. When i made it last time I baked the loaf and then sliced it and pan fried to get crispy/reheat.

My friend has a rotisserie thing for doing chickens, i wonder if we could rig it up to work. It is horizontal instead of vertical though.

This is kinda six of one, half dozen of the other here. I wouldn't bother trying to rig up a rotisserie, either, the recipe doesn't really need it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
https://www.amazon.com/NutriChef-Co...9XHC5KTPQT3F7GV

Amazon has a vertical rotisserie for $100. I don't need another gadget at the house though. But I think this would do those 10# cones.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, you're over cooking it by like, 2 hours are you temping it?

Try this variation on your recipe, Cut the cooking time and liquids in half, and make sure you deglaze the pan with broth and wine before you throw it into the pot to get more of the good seared flavor, or sear it in the dutch oven tbh. You're going to be getting a lot more love from your vegetables if you cut the liquid down.

I'm open to reducing to the cooking time but I'm concerned if I reduced it that drastically the meat wouldn't be as tender at the end. Either way, you're saying I should use just half a cup of wine plus a cup and a half broth?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm open to reducing to the cooking time but I'm concerned if I reduced it that drastically the meat wouldn't be as tender at the end. Either way, you're saying I should use just half a cup of wine plus a cup and a half broth?

You should def be checking the texture of your meat at the 2 hour mark or so.

Too many people blast their roasts all day until it's literally falling apart and mush.

I agree with Kenji on doneness. It should be tender, but if it's falling apart just by handling it, it's too far gone.

And yeah, when braising, the meat and veg are going to express a lot of liquid themselves. I'd say a cup or a cup and a half total would be sufficient.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's the best way to get leaves off of a fresh thyme sprig, because these things are delicious but annoying as hell to pick off.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

What's the best way to get leaves off of a fresh thyme sprig, because these things are delicious but annoying as hell to pick off.
What application? In most cases you don't.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Squeeze the stem between your fingers, running it top to bottom.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SubG posted:

What application? In most cases you don't.

This. Whenever you can, leave on stem, and fish out after the heat and stirring have knocked off the leaves. Sometimes we tie them together with butcher's twine but sometimes we just go fish.

For e.g. baking into rolls, I do the zip method from above but not for the last centimeter. That poo poo's hard to hold, so I just chop it stem and all. It's more tender near the end anyhow.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
If you're sprinkling thyme leaves over something you're roasting, the method Casu Marzu described works well. If it's for a liquid like stew or broth, make a bouquet garni. Wrap up the herbs you want in some cheesecloth and tie off the top. Throw the package in the liquid you're cooking and take it out when you're done.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Any major differences between doing a poultry confit and doing tuna confit? Assuming olive oil over duck fat, but otherwise principles should remain much the same no?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bagheera posted:

I made my first batch of homemade ricotta cheese last week. So far I've used it: spread on toast with strawberries or jelly; pesto ricotta pizza (with they whey in place of water in the dough).

My 2-year-old adores it, and I want to make a batch every week. What are some quick (10 minutes or less) ways I can use ricotta? Omelettes? Spread on toast? ... I'm out of ideas.

Also, how long will ricotta last in the fridge? I make with homogenized pastuerized whole milk and heavy cream. The milk lasts 10-14 days in the fridge before smelling sour (though we usually drink it all before then). The cream lasts 3-4 weeks. Will the ricotta last as long?

Spinach and ricotta is also a good combination on pizza, or stuffed inside a butternut squash.

Bon Appetit has a whole bunch of ricotta recipes:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/ricotta-cheese-recipes-ideas

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ok, so I was all set to do up a somewhat nicer dinner this evening including some bone-in pork chops that my wife had picked up.
My intention was to sous vide them and finish them closer to dinner the way I had wanted...until I actually looked at them this morning and realized that she'd gotten those really thin center cut ones that technically have the bone in but are extremely thin cut.

Alright, so sous vide probably not worth it.

The rest of the dinner is mostly going to be home made, goat cheese gnudi, which is like gnocchi, but...not, in a brown butter, tarragon, and chanterelle pan sauce.

So now I'm thinking, well, I'll just start by pan-frying the chops with some onion and garlic and get them finished and let them rest while I use their leftover juices/fond as the start of taking care of the gnudi. Sounds ok? Yeah? My worry is that there's like...nothin' going on with the chops. They're just sorta there. I kinda wanted them to have something interesting going on, or at least make sure they had great color other than "frying pan". I thought about using soy sauce, but that doesn't complement the dish, same, but to a lesser extent with worchestershire. And I mean even with just sort of applying with a silicon brush as I flip 'em around. I don't see the benefit.

I thought maybe a mix of worc. and brown sugar applied very lightly would definitely give me some great color, but I worry the flavor would really detract from what else is going on. I also thought, maybe what I could do is remove the gnudi from the pan, keep the chanterelles in, and then add a touch of flour, whisk it in add the chops back, and add cream and reduce, make a kind of smothered pork chop...thing...

Suggestions on that?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How thin is thin?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I pan-fry pork chops with onion powder, so that the moisture from actual onions doesn't get in the way of a beautiful crust. (Unless you're going for smothered pork chops, which are also delicious, but different -- and definitely don't involve cream afaik.) I would just put a good rub on the pork chops and pan-fry them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Anne Whateley posted:

I pan-fry pork chops with onion powder, so that the moisture from actual onions doesn't get in the way of a beautiful crust. (Unless you're going for smothered pork chops, which are also delicious, but different -- and definitely don't involve cream afaik.) I would just put a good rub on the pork chops and pan-fry them.

This post made me hungry. IDK what smothered pork chops are or how to make them but I'm gonna google that poo poo and find out how. Thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Smothered pork chops are the perfect winter dinner. Recipe is Cook's Country but it's paywalled, here's a blog with it, just scroll down http://tastingspoons.com/archives/9485

Big Beef City, this wouldn't work for you tonight because your starch needs to be plain, not with its own sauce. I usually do my smothered pork chops over roasted garlic mashed potatoes. :getin:

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I usually just give them a quick dunk in some flour + salt n pepper but this sounds so much better, going to try this weekend.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

How thin is thin?

About like this, I'd guess:

Anne Whateley posted:

Like 7/10 of the first google results for 'smothered pork chops' include either milk, cream, or buttermilk.
I mean, I've done different variants of them before this isn't any earth shattering thing for me, but it's odd to me that you'd say that given that the lowliest of the low versions of them probably (at least in my mind) would be some crummy pork chop covered in some weird campbells cream of mushroom soup concoction.

Something like this, is considered 'smothered' and uses heavy cream in the sauce (though imo it's a bit runny, but whatever it's just an example I found):

The cooks country one looks fine as well. Thank you for the recommendations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The absolute best thing to do with really skinny 1/4” chops is to bread them and quickly deep fry them like chicken and they come out all crispy and the fried fatty parts around the edges are so delicious. Sometimes I use boneless ones and pound them out real thin and bread with panko and pan fry in butter and make a mushroom sauce like jägerschnitzel.

Another way to cook smothered pork chops: get bone in center cut or blade chops 1/2-3/8” thick. Season with salt and pepper, flour lightly and fry them in 1/4” of veg oil until they are nice and brown-you’re just browning them not trying to cook them. Make gravy with the grease in the pan and some flour and chicken stock. Add kitchen bouquet if you feel like it or whatever other seasonings float your boat. A little thyme is nice too. Layer the pork chops with sliced onion and bell pepper in a glass dish and pour the gravy over them or put the peppers/onions and chops back in the pan with the gravy. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 for 1.5-2hrs, until you can about eat the pork chops with a spoon. Serve over rice with turnips greens or butter beans or some other vegetable cooked with more pork.

Source: I’m from Alabama

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Ha ha thanks guys. I'm probably gonna try all of these over the next couple months. I cook all the dinners around here and my wife loves variety but that can be hard with kids. I know they will like this type of thing though.

I will probably die of either diabetes or heart disease.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you tried using air dried granulated shallots?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have and I love them, but Penzey's discontinued them so I'm hoarding what I have left

Big Beef City posted:

About like this, I'd guess:

Like 7/10 of the first google results for 'smothered pork chops' include either milk, cream, or buttermilk.
I mean, I've done different variants of them before this isn't any earth shattering thing for me, but it's odd to me that you'd say that given that the lowliest of the low versions of them probably (at least in my mind) would be some crummy pork chop covered in some weird campbells cream of mushroom soup concoction.

Something like this, is considered 'smothered' and uses heavy cream in the sauce (though imo it's a bit runny, but whatever it's just an example I found):

The cooks country one looks fine as well. Thank you for the recommendations.
That's just not a style I've seen or I'm familiar with, I've always seen a clear brown broth. The lowest of the low is with the Lipton onion soup packets. My mom used to make it that way and tbh that's great too

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I have and I love them, but Penzey's discontinued them so I'm hoarding what I have left

They're back! https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/penzeys-granulated-air-dried-shallots/c-24/p-3153/pd-s

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
New apartment has an all original 1980s kitchen complete with lovely coil electric stove top. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of replacements? https://www.pioneeringtech.com/product/smart-burner/

Also any recommendations for a powerful induction cooktop on Amazon would be super welcome!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I bought the meat grinding attachment for my kitchenaid mixer since they were super marked down recently.

But, I'm not entirely sure what to make with it outside of sausage. Given that I don't have sausage casing stuff yet I was wanting to use it for a recipe just to try something new. Anyone got any recipes that might feature homemade ground meat of some kind?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Burg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That Works posted:

I bought the meat grinding attachment for my kitchenaid mixer since they were super marked down recently.

But, I'm not entirely sure what to make with it outside of sausage. Given that I don't have sausage casing stuff yet I was wanting to use it for a recipe just to try something new. Anyone got any recipes that might feature homemade ground meat of some kind?

:hmmyes: