Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

raminasi posted:

i got drunk and bitched to my boss that i felt underpaid and that i wasn’t learning anything in my role. he said “well you’re not wrong” and texted me a job lead the next day with a guy he knows.

a rare good boss???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

raminasi posted:

i got drunk and bitched to my boss that i felt underpaid and that i wasnt learning anything in my role. he said well youre not wrong and texted me a job lead the next day with a guy he knows.

Moral of the story: Booze fixes everything.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Oracle is always top, the others scramble around for second

Chinese BAT firms are also respectably evil

I'm out of the loop. What makes oracle top evil?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

KidDynamite posted:

I was going to say Netflix but they don't meet 2. They knock it out of the park in 1 and I guess 3 by only being evil by being capitalists unless they have some other poo poo going on.

Ehhhhhhhh

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

KidDynamite posted:

I'm out of the loop. What makes oracle top evil?

they lock customers into their platform and then shake them down for ever-increasing amounts of money... basically the same thing that every other b2b tech company does, except they're more aggressive and litigious than most.

why this makes them worse than facebook i couldn't say.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cold on a Cob posted:

a rare good boss???

“boss” isn’t quite the right word, he’s the head pm for my group. so he’s still in a direct managerial capacity for me. but both him and my actual manager (who was the one who said in December that the only way I’ll get paid what I’m worth is to get a new job) are loving fantastic which makes it extra frustrating that everyone above them is such a huge moron

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
maybe he's a crypto-recruiter, bouncing around building a team for his friend

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
"the most evil thing a company can do is be expensive for other companies to work with" is such a stunningly blinkered view even for the yospos techlord job thread that i don't even know where to start with it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would put top evils as the ones causing the most human misery

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

“boss” isn’t quite the right word, he’s the head pm for my group. so he’s still in a direct managerial capacity for me. but both him and my actual manager (who was the one who said in December that the only way I’ll get paid what I’m worth is to get a new job) are loving fantastic which makes it extra frustrating that everyone above them is such a huge moron
come to rest in a better company, recruit them to come work with you

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FMguru posted:

come to rest in a better company, recruit them to come work with you

a question I’m trying to figure out how to diplomatically ask this hiring manager is “why aren’t you already employing the guy who put us in touch”

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

big scary monsters posted:

"the most evil thing a company can do is be expensive for other companies to work with" is such a stunningly blinkered view even for the yospos techlord job thread that i don't even know where to start with it

yeah, like i get that oracle is evil, but b2b evil seems less problematic to me than being evil to the public at large

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Leck posted:

yeah, like i get that oracle is evil, but b2b evil seems less problematic to me than being evil to the public at large

lol yeah.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I fail to see how “is mean to businesses” comes anywhere close to “aids and abets genocide” or “gives
encryption keys to oppressive governments” or “busts unions”

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have no doubt that oracle is evil for lots of reasons i'm not aware of, but the reasons i am aware of are not really that evil.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

evil really should be about amount of human suffering caused

still a hard contender between facebook and amazon tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

then why the gently caress specify "pays well" if that criteria can only be satisfied by a ~household name~ anyway??

gently caress, it's a useless loving question anyway, anyone in a major urban center that's "paying well" is evil anyway

he said big or a household name

i.e. the two categories of firms that hire large volumes of people and pay them well

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't really care about evil i just want to get paid

sad but true

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Hello yospos, I’m in the process of being hired by a well known large media conglomerate for what i think are v. nice figgies, but in lieu of my asking salary (165) theyre offering me 150, 10% signing bonus paid out with my first salary payment and 30k in long term vesting bonuses deposited on day 1. The reason their internal recruiter says he’s doing this is because the job position they’re hiring me for is only preapproved for a certain salary band, and getting my asking figgies would require what he calls a huge ballache to get the job changed from “site reliability engineer” to “senior site reliability engineer”. They’re dangling a promotion to senior in 9 months in front of me which would come with a raise to my asking figgies plus a little bit.
is this a red flag? Should i push for getting the promotion in writing? Is that even a thing that’s done?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hambilderberglar posted:

is this a red flag? Should i push for getting the promotion in writing? Is that even a thing that’s done?

this is not a thing that is done, and what the recruiter is telling you is that you are eligible for a promotion a year from now which is not the same as "you will receive a promotion a year from now"

Hambilderberglar posted:

Hello yospos, I’m in the process of being hired by a well known large media conglomerate for what i think are v. nice figgies, but in lieu of my asking salary (165) theyre offering me 150, 10% signing bonus paid out with my first salary payment and 30k in long term vesting bonuses deposited on day 1. The reason their internal recruiter says he’s doing this is because the job position they’re hiring me for is only preapproved for a certain salary band, and getting my asking figgies would require what he calls a huge ballache to get the job changed from “site reliability engineer” to “senior site reliability engineer”. They’re dangling a promotion to senior in 9 months in front of me which would come with a raise to my asking figgies plus a little bit.

salary bands and job titles are purely arbitrary and why do you care what a ballache it is for anyone? that's not your loving problem

are you happy with the offer? take it

are you almost happy with the offer? see if they'll sweeten the deal with some vacation days or something, given that they are plainly not real happy to meet your salary goal

are you peeved about the offer? be assertive about your initial salary demand and see where it gets you

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is not a thing that is done, and what the recruiter is telling you is that you are eligible for a promotion a year from now which is not the same as "you will receive a promotion a year from now"
I’m aware of that and it’s the biggest reason I’m wary of it. Promises are cheap after all.

quote:

salary bands and job titles are purely arbitrary and why do you care what a ballache it is for anyone? that's not your loving problem

are you happy with the offer? take it

are you almost happy with the offer? see if they'll sweeten the deal with some vacation days or something, given that they are plainly not real happy to meet your salary goal

are you peeved about the offer? be assertive about your initial salary demand and see where it gets you
My BATNA is unemployment, and they’re aware of this, so I’m not negotiating from the strongest position. I’m not unhappywith the offer, but over the long term I’m wondering what having 15k lower base salary does to my growth potential, and were all else equal I’d prefer to have it just be part of my salary base. The commute is short, benefits seem to be good and I get to do things that are relevant to my interests. I’ll see if I can push on vacation days or negotiate into the mid 50s.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Had a really good phone screen with a small startup. Talked to the lead engineer for a while and we had a great discussion. Sounds like they'd be a very good #2 if my #1 doesn't work out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raminasi posted:

i got drunk and bitched to my boss that i felt underpaid and that i wasn’t learning anything in my role. he said “well you’re not wrong” and texted me a job lead the next day with a guy he knows.

this is a bizarre maneuver on both ends

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

this is a bizarre maneuver on both ends

sometimes weird poo poo works i guess

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Had a really good phone screen with a small startup. Talked to the lead engineer for a while and we had a great discussion. Sounds like they'd be a very good #2 if my #1 doesn't work out.

lol gently caress startups

get paid. in money. not magic beans.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hambilderberglar posted:

My BATNA is unemployment, and they’re aware of this, so I’m not negotiating from the strongest position. I’m not unhappywith the offer, but over the long term I’m wondering what having 15k lower base salary does to my growth potential, and were all else equal I’d prefer to have it just be part of my salary base. The commute is short, benefits seem to be good and I get to do things that are relevant to my interests. I’ll see if I can push on vacation days or negotiate into the mid 50s.

idk if you read my post

what do you really want out of this? I tried to bin poo poo into three main categories of reaction -- i.e. is this offer good enough, not good enough, or kinda poo poo -- with an action to take based on each bin'o'feelins

your response doesn't clarify poo poo

until you know what you want, and what you're willing to accept, it's hard to offer any kind of advice about how to proceed.

even if my three-bin system doesn't clarify anything for you, you still gotta figure poo poo out. is the offer good? is it close to good? is it bad?

what are you willing to walk away with?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know what kind of hiring software they're using, but when a similar problem happened at an old job their course of action was "we're creating a new job posting at the pay band compatible with the salary you want, please apply to it so we can hire you"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol gently caress startups

get paid. in money. not magic beans.

oh yeah i'm not setting for less than $$$. i was making $115 in nc and now i'm in ca so i'm not settling for anything less than a lot more, even though i'm looking remote.

i'm not super risk adverse though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oh yeah i'm not setting for less than $$$. i was making $115 in nc and now i'm in ca so i'm not settling for anything less than a lot more, even though i'm looking remote.

i'm not super risk adverse though.

it's not just risk, and it's not just pay

the two worst jobs i've ever had, by far, were startups. ranking my jobs, all but one in the bottom quintile, were startups.

in all the fuckin jobs i've moved through, all the lovely contracts, all the fuckups and ballache, only one startup, ever, wasn't a complete loving disaster for my personal well-being

one.

i've done this poo poo many, many times, and it blew up in a bad way every time but one*. it's hard for me to recommend anyone work for a startup, unless they're in a really bad spot, and can't get they toe in the door anywhere else, anywhere at all.

the only job that ever had me literally crying myself to sleep in an office chair with a case of beer at my ankles was a loving startup

the only job where i had folks screaming at me from two different phones at the same time was a startup

the only job where i saw my boss break down crying and crawl across the floor on hands and knees during an outage was a startup

edit: the only job where i had the head of hr threaten me personally, bodily, was a startup. and she was a woman 12" shorter than i am. it was weird and terrible and you don't want that to happen to you.

* the asterisk is the one time everything went pretty well and cool and good. that doesn't imply anyone actually got paid. the company still failed to pay out for anyone, including the founders. it just wasn't a bad place to work while things were failing to pan out.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
p.s. those four horrible loving examples were three different companies

the struggle is real and you don't want to taste it

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
were these before or after you became shoemech

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
idk, i hated working at red hat way more than i hated working at my last job which was a startup. and i dont think you can do much better than red hat as far as being at a big company goes.

this job is full time remote and working on problems i'm interested in. their process sounds good. i talked to the engineering lead and he was really smart, benefits look good, pay looks good, and they're gonna fly me to new york and if i get any bad vibes at all i wont take it.

i dont doubt your experiences and i know there's a really good chance this job will be poo poo, but i feel really empowered in the industry right now and am not scared. my resume is strong and i'm turning tons of stuff down and i'm just gonna ride this industry like a rocket until the world ends and it all blows up.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so why did she threaten you and what did she threaten to do?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KidDynamite posted:

so why did she threaten you and what did she threaten to do?

she threatened me because i turned down a stock grant, for tax reasons

i am not going to address the second question

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mod saas posted:

were these before or after you became shoemech

i was never not the shoemech bootlicker. i have retained my insulting av text because, well, it ain't wrong

obviously startups have different priorities in footwear. the whole point of my schtick is to pay attention to what the people around you, and most importantly, above you are wearing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
imo though like 100-1000 peeps is the way to go in terms of company size.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this job is full time remote and working on problems i'm interested in.

giant red flag

their process sounds good. i talked to the engineering lead and he was really smart, benefits look good, pay looks
good, and they're gonna fly me to new york and if i get any bad vibes at all i wont take it.

if the pay is good why wouldn't you move to new york where the drat office is, where you won't be at the rear end end of every loving eval?

i dont doubt your experiences and i know there's a really good chance this job will be poo poo, but i feel really empowered in the industry right now and am not scared. my resume is strong and i'm turning tons of stuff down and i'm just gonna ride this industry like a rocket until the world ends and it all blows up.

don't be scared

ride that rocket

get paid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am only seeking remote jobs currently, our life plan is to move to the woods

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

imo though like 100-1000 peeps is the way to go in terms of company size.

100 to 1000 covers wildly different companies

there's a reason "small business" typically stops at 500 people, and not 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i am only seeking remote jobs currently, our life plan is to move to the woods

dude.

dude.

you can read prior posts in the thread about this poo poo.