Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

bracket rigging is ok but slightly inconveniencing The Brand? unforgivable

Apparently the KOF event happening right now is also a complete sham...this is awesome. Evo Japan is already way more entertaining than a few years of Evo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

idk theres still tons of people who just shouldnt be allowed at events ever who are

dont get me wrong the ad deserves criticism but 'that sucked, dont do that again' is all that's needed, the apoplectic handwringing from people who have done nothing to actually help victims of abuse or prevent those people from being in these circles is the most meaningless poo poo

Mr. Wiz was just trying to cover his rear end, probably. I've been leaning towards just calling that kinda poo poo out but not making much more of it other than, well, what it is, which is just a symptom of a larger culture with way more egregious poo poo inside it, as you yourself pointed out. Still, there's nothing wrong with some extra pressure on publishers and TOs.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

In Training posted:

Apparently the KOF event happening right now is also a complete sham...this is awesome. Evo Japan is already way more entertaining than a few years of Evo

what's happening lol

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

DOA's advertising campaign keeps on spinning.

1) it's not horny so now we're serious
2) here are the new mechanics and some gameplay we promise its not horny
3) well due to fan demand of course the game is horny, we definitely didn't plan this at all

I like the series and the fact that they feel the need to be coy about being a horny mess is disingenuous and dumb. That ad really should have been screened before airing, how stupid can you get

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's happening lol

people are reporting that the korean players are being discriminated against, all of them being put on the same side of the bracket to eliminate each other. Korean players are getting 5 second countdowns to show up for matches while the tournament was delayed 45 minutes to give the Japanese players enough time to show up for their games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what's happening lol

https://twitter.com/chachadesmond/status/1096336673896452096?s=19

+ countless empty setups with KOFXIV running but no casuals allowed while the tourney runs. Pretty cool

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/KingHippo42/status/1096303385349779456

he'll yeah evo owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The phrase Core Values is gonna be brought up until the end times now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

Mr. Wiz was just trying to cover his rear end, probably. I've been leaning towards just calling that kinda poo poo out but not making much more of it other than, well, what it is, which is just a symptom of a larger culture with way more egregious poo poo inside it, as you yourself pointed out. Still, there's nothing wrong with some extra pressure on publishers and TOs.
extra pressure on publishers and TOs to, what, not make dumb sex jokes? Iunno, I'm not seeing the part where this somehow helps with the actual, deeprooted issues in the FGC. Like if the issues stopped at 'people making crass comments about female players' then I could see the line that you're drawing here but capcom isn't gonna permaban infiltration for beating his wife if we outlaw jokes about eating ayane's rear end and marn isn't going to stop raping impoverished teenage girls in his coffee shop in vietnam if we hold a poll on which sexy cammy costumes are outlawed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have to respect the sheer balls on the people that made the DOA segment

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dias posted:

If you really knew what Henaki did that EVO, you'd be disgusted.

What did he do? I was under the impression he was banned for leaking MvC3 stuff.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

ad was dumb and crass but theres way more dumb and crass ads and lol at the idea that pussy-eating jokes are whats keeping women out of the fgc and not the constant excuses and handwringing about the possibility of maybe banning rapists and women beaters

A culture that constantly sexualizes and objectifies women in media creates an atmosphere where it is accepted to harass, objectify, and abuse women in person because they are viewed as objects.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

extra pressure on publishers and TOs to, what, not make dumb sex jokes? Iunno, I'm not seeing the part where this somehow helps with the actual, deeprooted issues in the FGC. Like if the issues stopped at 'people making crass comments about female players' then I could see the line that you're drawing here but capcom isn't gonna permaban infiltration for beating his wife if we outlaw jokes about eating ayane's rear end and marn isn't going to stop raping impoverished teenage girls in his coffee shop in vietnam if we hold a poll on which sexy cammy costumes are outlawed.

As I said, I think it's all interconnected because it fosters a culture that leads to the Marns and Infiltrations of the world. Basically, I subscribe to the rape culture theory, and I think that while it's obviously more important to catch and ban the total creeps from the community, you also have to send a clear signal that that skeevy poo poo don't fly so it doesn't foster even more creeps that will cover up or justify harassment and abuse.

From what I can grasp though, you don't think the same way, and I guess that's fine. I just think you can call both things out, it's not an either/or scenario.

(To the other dude, Henaki got banned because of the MvC3 poo poo, I was just doing a dumb conspiracy bit)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wiz and Markman hung out with a Saudi Prince

Vince McMahon-esque

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

A culture that constantly sexualizes and objectifies women in media creates an atmosphere where it is accepted to harass, objectify, and abuse women in person because they are viewed as objects.

I think the point is more that banning 95% of Cammy costumes is a token effort that does practically nothing to address the actual problem behaviors compared to banning the people doing said things. That's not to say that Cammy is fine and her design is not also a contributing factor, just that going after that is kind of a dodge. It's painting over rotted wood.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 15, 2019

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

In Training posted:

https://twitter.com/chachadesmond/status/1096336673896452096?s=19

+ countless empty setups with KOFXIV running but no casuals allowed while the tourney runs. Pretty cool

Not to take away from the attention the DOA stuff rightfully deserves, but why isn’t Wiz getting blown up about this too? This is active bracket rigging at this point

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

chumbler posted:

I think the point is more that banning 95% of Cammy costumes is a token effort that does practically nothing to address the actual problem behaviors compared to banning the people doing said things. That's not to say that Cammy is fine and her design is not also a contributing factor, just that going after that is kind of a dodge. It's painting over rotted wood.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean we should let the small things slide. You should always be demanding more accountability from TOs in accordance with the "core values" they show on their face.

The next time Mr Wizard hangs out with a Saudi prince everyone should be in his mentions asking him how it dovetails with his belief that women deserve better from the FGC. It will take a few prominent community leaders to really get that conversation going, but unfortunately I just don't think the FGC has any leaders with the balls to make that statement. Everyone's too afraid of being kicked out of Justin Wong's private treehouse, or whatever.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

Weird enough, giving lifetime bans to abusers and putting pressure on developers to tone down horny content are two things you can do at the same time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chumbler gets it. Get that toxic rear end banned so i can view cammy innocent rear end with dignified respect

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The best fighting games are horny as gently caress. They just need to make the male characters equally horny and ban all the awful shitheads from the scene.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
as a huge chud, wiz only cares about money and image, so the easiest way is to pressure sponsors to drop support for evo if they don't want their names next to MBS or whatever.

I have no idea if Japanese companies like cygames or cup noodle actually care though, since JeSU seems so willing to take cash from them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Weird enough, giving lifetime bans to abusers and putting pressure on developers to tone down horny content are two things you can do at the same time.

I don't think I said they weren't? Event organizers just seem to be doing only the latter and calling it a day, because that's a lot easier than banning problem people.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smoking Crow posted:

Wiz and Markman hung out with a Saudi Prince

Vince McMahon-esque

I didn’t know about this until today and it’s the most bonkers poo poo after reading about it like ten times over :eyepop:

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The best fighting games are horny as gently caress. They just need to make the male characters equally horny and ban all the awful shitheads from the scene.

making male characters horny would be just pushing the libcuck sjw beta furry agenda in our faces, allegedly

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Flinger posted:

making male characters horny would be just pushing the libcuck sjw beta furry agenda in our faces, allegedly

Shove that sjw furry agenda down my throat tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every character replaced with an aroused sonic fox

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mango sentinel posted:

It's hard to ban stars in any sport, e or otherwise because a redemption story and an unabashed heel are money

The most successful boxer ever plays up domestic abuse for a reaction and it makes hundreds of millions of dollars doing it. It's a lot easier to say "Kasumi and Ayane aren't allowed in Vegas" than to outright ban a star because koei-tecmo doesn't make the tournament that much, and I see one more likely than the other

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
ah yes the almighty dollar, we must all kowtow to breathless capitalism there's no possible way to refuse it

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

gently caress everything about r/kappa. and capitalism.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ah yes the almighty dollar, we must all kowtow to breathless capitalism there's no possible way to refuse it

You can, but I doubt the people running majors will

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I didn’t know about this until today and it’s the most bonkers poo poo after reading about it like ten times over :eyepop:

one of the many, many saudi princes is an expatriate who lives mainly in america and east asia and he is a gigantic loving weeb and failson lmao

stealth edit: virtually every single member of the saudi royal family is a loving huge failson so the only really funny distinction to make here is his unabashed love of anime

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What I'm saying is, pressure TOs to ban people, Joey C is dishonest, Tina is going to be sick in doa6

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

doa6 is going to be a hoot

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tina's dad is Kevin Nash so that only makes sense she'd be amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
bracket rigging is old news, racist bracket rigging is new tech

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

that'd be news to mr. wizard then

Dias posted:

As I said, I think it's all interconnected because it fosters a culture that leads to the Marns and Infiltrations of the world. Basically, I subscribe to the rape culture theory, and I think that while it's obviously more important to catch and ban the total creeps from the community, you also have to send a clear signal that that skeevy poo poo don't fly so it doesn't foster even more creeps that will cover up or justify harassment and abuse.

From what I can grasp though, you don't think the same way, and I guess that's fine. I just think you can call both things out, it's not an either/or scenario.
I never said you shouldn't say the DoA ad was dumb and crass (in fact, I literally said it was dumb and crass), just that the reaction is wildly out of proportion with what it is and how he reacts to much more serious situations. Go 'hey, that was kind of dumb' and move on.

And IMO some amount of sexuality is good. Like I've mentioned in this thread maybe seventeen? times already, a lot of women are into sexualized characters if its handled the right way. ladies loved mai shiranui. not that this DoA thing plays into that, since it was just dumb sex jokes, but I feel like some people kind of want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 15, 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ultramega posted:

gently caress everything about r/kappa. and capitalism.

r/kappatalism

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

lmao that would be like having a landlord who is also reading my posts and handing out probations

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they did announce that Mai is gonna be in DOA6 at least. Again? I forget if the DOA5 thing was just a costume crossover or a character inclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

they did announce that Mai is gonna be in DOA6 at least. Again? I forget if the DOA5 thing was just a costume crossover or a character inclusion

nope it was a full character inclusion