Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apparently at some point Zin's mutation purge was removed and replaced with converting mut potions to cure mutation. Which is technically better except the most likely reason to want Zin's mutation purge is because you're horribly mutated with no potions left.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This is one of those things you could legitimately argue about. I guess the biggest change is that Zin was a good single-use final panic button. Now you can use him at any time and plan from that, which isn't actually bad - but the downside is that it's more RNG dependent. It's entirely possible to find enough potions to get two effective zinblasts out of it, but it's just as possible to not even find enough for one.

I'd honestly call this a neutral change. It doesn't really reduce the utility of the power, it just moves it laterally. Works worse for some, better for others.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Apparently at some point Zin's mutation purge was removed and replaced with converting mut potions to cure mutation. Which is technically better except the most likely reason to want Zin's mutation purge is because you're horribly mutated with no potions left.

Cool.

I thought Zin was also changed to remove mutations over time as well, so it wasn't a god you picked to lock them in either.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I haven't played any form of Crawl for a few years, probably .16 or so, and I'm looking to jump into Gooncrawl. What's a fun and strong combo to do 15 runes with so I can get my feet under me?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Something something High Elf who uses Haste?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't know haste was back in! Probably my favorite character ever was a Spriggan enchanter who started every single fight with haste and invis. Just speed stabbing everything.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Try a Gnoll Skald of Ash, it's quite an experience.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

There is still absolutely nothing more fun in this game than dig-lunge-stab-one-shot kills with a Fo^WuJian except adding serpents lash to the mix. Passwall away from the monster, track it with antennae, dig right into him his a gently caress off dagger like elec and boom its complete annihilation

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My next game I`m going Ru and rejecting everything until Hated By all comes up. Abandon Ru, do Dithmenos, then I`ll spam butterflies everywhere I go and get controlled blink for free on my formicid

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Nevermind gammafunk detailed to me in his usual (at least towards me) total and comprehensive way how that plan will not work, so now I`m writing petitions to the other devs who respect and listen to me

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Akett posted:

I don't think that's a great way to 15 rune, to be quite fair

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

This is one of those things you could legitimately argue about. I guess the biggest change is that Zin was a good single-use final panic button. Now you can use him at any time and plan from that, which isn't actually bad - but the downside is that it's more RNG dependent. It's entirely possible to find enough potions to get two effective zinblasts out of it, but it's just as possible to not even find enough for one.

I'd honestly call this a neutral change. It doesn't really reduce the utility of the power, it just moves it laterally. Works worse for some, better for others.

Here's the thing; Zin's old option existed as something for a player clearly at their rope. If your mutations become burdensome you can purge them all away. Zin was designed to let you instantly convert your gold into piety and recover right away. Its an option I never used before (because cure mutation pots existed) but my last game it would of been very helpful. A player who uses up all their mutation potions, either through bad RNG or poor choices, is the most likely to want Zin to save them. But now you can't actually utilize mutation removal from Zin unless you save mutation potions. Its counter-intuitive.

Mechanically it is better for a savvy player since you can switch to Zin, burn away bad muts while keeping good ones, and then switch to someone else. So its not a bad change but it doesn't do the same thing that the original option did. Also it makes no sense thematically; Zin shouldn't let you become a mutated powerhouse, he should be taking away all mutations indiscriminately.

Course none of this would matter if they didn't take away my rmut amulets and cmut potions.

Floodkiller posted:

I thought Zin was also changed to remove mutations over time as well, so it wasn't a god you picked to lock them in either.

Nope. That'd be fine, but if he does this it didn't happen one in my 30k turns spent scumming the abyss.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I should really try gooncrawl, but my cheevo-hunting drew me into the tournament. Decided to lead things off with a silly gnoll chaos run. To my huge surprise...
code:
1830518 Febz the Toy (level 27, 262/262 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Chaos Knight on Feb 9, 2019.
             Was a Favourite Plaything of Xom.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Feb 14, 2019!

The game lasted 08:26:17 (59631 turns).
Xom only tried to kill me four times and gave tons of great muts, including rF++ right as I was about to enter Zot. Suicide bombing V:5 was also tons of fun.
Second ever win! :toot:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Floodkiller posted:

This was an incredibly popular idea on the Tavern. So popular that it seemed inevitable. Apparently we didn't get it.

Guess the Devs didn't like it. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Zin was designed to let you instantly convert your gold into piety and recover right away.
I thought of it in terms of a long-term investment because I don't tend to switch gods once I pick one, but when you put it like that, it is actually a bit of a problem. From a design perspective, the question now would be how often this happens and how many people rely on being able to use Zin like this, but that's not something I'm able to speak to.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Akett posted:

You were right, Gnoll Skald of Ash is super fun. I won my very first try!

code:
1967035 Jester the Omniscient (level 27, 219/219 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Skald on Feb 14, 2019.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 03:55:39 (53066 turns).

Jester the Omniscient (Gnoll Skald)                Turns: 53066, Time: 03:55:39

Health: 219/219    AC: 31    Str: 17      XL:     27
Magic:  47/47      EV: 27    Int: 27 (30) God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   7914       SH: 23    Dex: 16      Spells: 12/63 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   V - +9 eveningstar (venom) (curse)
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   E - +1 shield {rC+ rF+} (curse)
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   P - +6 swamp dragon scales (curse)
rPois    +         Spirit   .   C - +0 helmet {Int+3} (curse)
rElec    +         Reflect  +   M - +2 cloak {MR+} (curse)
rCorr    .         Harm     .   m - +1 pair of gloves (curse)
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   H - +0 pair of boots (curse)
Stlth    +++.......             J - +6 amulet of reflection (curse)
HPRegen  1.46/turn              N - ring of Jiupp {rElec rF+ rC+ rN+ Stlth+} (curse)
MPRegen  0.30/turn              w - ring of Olocubreim {rC+ rN+ MR+ MP+9 Str+3 SInv} (curse)

@: studying Short Blades
A: distributed training, fangs 1, strong nose
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver
a: Release Permanent Buffs, Curse Item, Scrying, Renounce Religion

You escaped.
You worshipped Ashenzari.
Ashenzari was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and saw 47 of its levels.
You also visited: Trove.

You collected 8979 gold pieces.
You spent 1065 gold pieces at shops.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm sorry you what

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
nice work

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm sorry you what

First try at that combo, not first time ever. :blush:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jester Mcgee posted:

First try at that combo, not first time ever. :blush:
I know. That's still a hell of a return to Crawl. Welcome back.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

redneck nazgul posted:

In as rednecknazgul.

I've got you added, and you haven't shown up, and I gave it some time, and I still don't see you, so... :shrug:

Doublecheck that your 0.23 RC file says this as its first line:

# TEAMCAPTAIN ZeeToo

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Can I just say that permabuffs make playing a Transmuter like 8000% less agonizingly tedious? I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders now that I can just set and forget Spider Form for the first few floors.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
anybody got feedback on how strong hermit crab feels as a species, whether the apts need tweaking, etc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought of it in terms of a long-term investment because I don't tend to switch gods once I pick one, but when you put it like that, it is actually a bit of a problem. From a design perspective, the question now would be how often this happens and how many people rely on being able to use Zin like this, but that's not something I'm able to speak to.

I mean, out of 100+ wins that was the first one I ever switched to Zin with the intent of cleaning mutations (most of my wins were also before they removed cmut and amulets of rmut though). Thing is most of the time, mutations aren't gonna be more dangerous than god wrath. So switching to Zin to clean yourself up was always a dubious choice. Zin was clearly designed with that switch in mind though, and the option WAS there. And I think its fair to say that a player who is desperate is likely to have exhausted all their mutation potions before resorting to Zin, so tying his ability too mutation potions makes no sense. Also if you had some "positive" mutation you were trying to lose like horns or wild magic, you wouldn't even be able to get rid of them. Even though Zin is supposed to hate ALL mutation.

Its just another case of a dev fixing something that wasn't broken. If they added this in addition to his old ability there wouldn't be an issue. But now the ability seems designed to let you swap from TSO to Zin when you have a good mutation set and clean up your bad ones. Which is a better powergamer option, but why did that need to replace the old one?

Its not a huge deal but stuff like this just annoys me. Whatever dev changed this either didn't understand the original Zin design or didn't care about it because it had never been useful to them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Which is a better powergamer option, but why did that need to replace the old one?
I mean, purely in the sense of giving you an utility option, I'd honestly call this the better version of the ability, because even though it requires finding mutpots first, it lets you cure mutations multiple times at will and at different times instead of only once. I'm generally more likely to pick up the odd bad mutation here and there that I want to get rid of eventually than to pick up a whole bunch that I need to get rid of ASAP.

Our mileage clearly varies there, but from my perspective, this is a good change that makes Zin better and more practical in most situations I'm likely to actually encounter.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm coming back to this after a while away, I have a FoEE that's going well https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Aston/Aston.txt

I've cleared Dungeon, Lair and Orc (I think? Only 2 levels now?) and I'm not sure what's next. Lair branches?

Also how good is Spellforged Servitor if I haven't got any ranks in summoning yet?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Servitor is going to be as good as the valid spells it can use with <50% spellcast failure. The ones you have memorized right now would be Sandblast, Stone Arrow, Sticky Flame, LRD (for some reason!) and IMB. With your specialization into Earth and Conjurations, however, it can be a worthwhile investment due to things like Iron Shot or Crystal Spear later on.

Spider's your next best bet because you can dig kill corridors at will. Shoals got the islands for the same reason but you'll have to be more careful with the wide open space.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Can I just say that permabuffs make playing a Transmuter like 8000% less agonizingly tedious? I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders now that I can just set and forget Spider Form for the first few floors.

I agree. Permabuffs made playing a Skald feel really easy and strong. Apparently, paying enough attention to keep buffs up was the hardest part of that class before.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hmm, so is LRD not so good? I only really took it because I wanted something to hit multiple enemies. Spells are the main thing I'm unsure on, I can't remember which ones were really desirable.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aston posted:

Hmm, so is LRD not so good? I only really took it because I wanted something to hit multiple enemies. Spells are the main thing I'm unsure on, I can't remember which ones were really desirable.

Don't waste your time with that nonsense. As an ant-man you should be wielding a gently caress-off huge 2-hander and wrecking fools. If you want to hit multiple enemies find yourself an axe (the bigger the better) and then start boosting your charm school for sweet sweet buffs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Floor 1 find helmet and scarf of spirit shield.

Floor 2 mutate horns and magic shield.

Love you Crawl.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Ummmm LRD is massively good, and with formicid you can dig holes for 1v1 combat and make spots where enemies are always going to be hit by it. Since the spell doesn`t destroy walls now, it doesn`t hurt your killholes and keeps you safe. It also hits out of LOS. People are dumb to tell you to ignore it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jester Mcgee posted:

I agree. Permabuffs made playing a Skald feel really easy and strong. Apparently, paying enough attention to keep buffs up was the hardest part of that class before.

Speaking of, I would like to ask again for feedback on permabuff power levels from anyone who has messed with them. Are any of the current MP reservation rates (only reserves the spell level's worth of MP) too low for the power they give? If they are, any pushes for specific ways to make them higher?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

The most problematic thing I noticed about permabuffs was that I could put on armor that was a little too heavy for me. For example, I could put on chain mail in the beginning of the game and have a 50% or so chance to cast my buffs, then I would just cast them as many times as it took to get them up, then I had them forever. I don't have any input into how to fix it, but I felt scummy while I was doing it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I played around with a fighter type character I usually do and it was pretty trivial to cast every permabuff by equipping two rings of wizardry and then unequipping them. The only one I needed to train for was Ring of Fire.

Also, hello again! I could not for the life of me figure out how to rebase my commits for the abomination species, so I've just done away with the pull request until and unless people start clamoring for that silly 8-ring full armor badman species.

In other news, I think I'll try my hand at some unrandart changes and additions. At minimum I want to add the change from the main branch that turned the Vampire's Tooth from a +4 dagger of vampirism to a +12 quick blade of vampirism.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, it does let you cast stuff you just couldn't reliably use at all, and I don't think the power of Transmutations actually affects anything but their duration.

As for a solution, maybe if getting hit sometimes forced you to spend MP to sustain the transformation like when Repel/Deflect Missiles fails?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could reduce the effectiveness of armor based on the cumulative miscast rate of all active buffs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Aston posted:

Nah nah nah. I was remarking on it being a valid spell for Servitor since it deals damage usually indirectly and is a pure Earth spell. Other weird ones that are valid are Freeze and (less so) Airstrike. Conjure Ball Lightning makes some sort of sense in that it's a split Conjuration spell with hilarious drawbacks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let Lava Orcs start as worshipping Beogh and give them a level 10-ish power that lets them 'pump up' to raise their heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, purely in the sense of giving you an utility option, I'd honestly call this the better version of the ability, because even though it requires finding mutpots first, it lets you cure mutations multiple times at will and at different times instead of only once. I'm generally more likely to pick up the odd bad mutation here and there that I want to get rid of eventually than to pick up a whole bunch that I need to get rid of ASAP.

Our mileage clearly varies there, but from my perspective, this is a good change that makes Zin better and more practical in most situations I'm likely to actually encounter.

Zin gives you immunity to mutation at max piety though, so random mutations aren't an issue. You're never gonna not be at max piety when following Zin late game as well since you can just pay more of your otherwise useless gold to make him love you forever.

The change is only better if you're switching to Zin to preserve good mutations (which makes no sense thematically) or swapping between Zin and TSO multiple times. Either way its a change that didn't need to replace the original one. Its not like Zin would be broken if he had both abilities.