Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GetBehindTheMule posted:

The Republic and the remains of the Empire having to work together against an ancient threat from the Unknown Regions, while clearly cribbed from the old EU, would have been a much more interesting way to start the sequel trilogy than the soft reboot of TFA.

It'd be really funny if they just for no buildup started a Yuuzhong Vong trilogy because that could cause some nuclear meltdowns from some very normal fans.

(I actually like the Vong and think they're neat antagonists)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Most of the books involving them were awful but the core idea wasn't wrong. As disney is in the process of finding out, having star wars be always and only empire vs rebels isn't really sustainable. That said, it would probably be a classic 'come up with new things' / 'oh god stop coming up with new things' scenario given the track record of the creative minds involved so far

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teek posted:

Finally something on the Knights of Ren:

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/02/rumors-speculation-star-wars-episode-ix-and-the-threat-of-the-knights-of-ren/

Not sure what to make of that. The "Beyond" being a stand in name for the Unknown Regions, or something extra-galactic? Returning Sith empire? Really didn't expect this plot angle at this stage, but it could tie back in to the Old Republic Sith in some way I guess. At least it seemingly explains where the Knights were.

This sounds like an interesting direction they should have began in Episode 8. They really should have just let JJ do the whole loving trilogy because he had outlines for episodes 8 and 9 before TFA even came out (Rian Johnson didn't keep a single thing from JJ's draft according to Daisy Ridley). At least the ST would have been consistent tonally and story-wise. Trying to have The First Order, Kylo, AND another supervillain type threat is going to be too much for one film. Thanks again for messing everything up Rian Johnson lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GetBehindTheMule posted:

The Republic and the remains of the Empire having to work together against an ancient threat from the Unknown Regions, while clearly cribbed from the old EU, would have been a much more interesting way to start the sequel trilogy than the soft reboot of TFA.

I think a good direction they could have gone with for the ST would have to make the Galaxy an semi-anarchic wild west. The New Republic is on the ascent but still new and stretched thin and having to slowly calm down a galaxy where the Empires central authority has suddenly vanished. That way you can have the actions of the OT heroes matter and there be hope for the future while avoiding the problem of the galaxy apparently being stuck in an eternal loop of Rebels vs Empire, but still have there be places that need heroes. You can have everything from a story with the "small" stakes of saving one planet from some minor but personal threat, or have big important stuff where the heroes have to stop some Dark Side jerk from uncovering some ancient macguffin from a lost planet that threatens the galaxy. The scenario even lets you keep the Rebel underdog branding for the heroes since they can be far away from the Republic, while giving them a logical way for the underdog heroes to get a big fleet at the end because "The Republic sent a taskforce" or "Chancellor Leia heard our message and sent Rogue Squadron" or whatever.

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I think a good direction they could have gone with for the ST would have to make the Galaxy an semi-anarchic wild west. The New Republic is on the ascent but still new and stretched thin and having to slowly calm down a galaxy where the Empires central authority has suddenly vanished. That way you can have the actions of the OT heroes matter and there be hope for the future while avoiding the problem of the galaxy apparently being stuck in an eternal loop of Rebels vs Empire, but still have there be places that need heroes. You can have everything from a story with the "small" stakes of saving one planet from some minor but personal threat, or have big important stuff where the heroes have to stop some Dark Side jerk from uncovering some ancient macguffin from a lost planet that threatens the galaxy. The scenario even lets you keep the Rebel underdog branding for the heroes since they can be far away from the Republic, while giving them a logical way for the underdog heroes to get a big fleet at the end because "The Republic sent a taskforce" or "Chancellor Leia heard our message and sent Rogue Squadron" or whatever.

I like these ideas a lot. I think another alternative that Disney should have explored, though one I doubt very much they would have committed to, is not making numbered/saga films at all and only making stand alone spin offs. The numbered "Skywalker family" films could have remained their own thing, with a beginning middle and end, and Disney could make standalone films exploring all these ideas and more. Ultimately the numbered films probably feel more "canonical" and would generate more profit, but if Star Wars had come back and one year there was a "liberating an Empire stronghold" film, then a samurai film about Luke reestablishing the Jedi, then a western on the edge of the unknown regions where a lone Jedi helps settle a local conflict, they could keep churning out a film every year without worrying about having an overarching storyline front and centre, letting each film play to the strengths of each director, and using OT characters if and when needed.

I guess they tried to do both with the Sequel Trilogy and the Star Wars Story films, and we ended up with a very mixed result.

GetBehindTheMule fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 10, 2019

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019
I really hope one day in the future the outlines Lucas gave Disney are released or leaked. He's a good ideas man, and I honestly think they have equal chance of being very interesting or very terrible.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

GetBehindTheMule posted:

I really hope one day in the future the outlines Lucas gave Disney are released or leaked. He's a good ideas man, and I honestly think they have equal chance of being very interesting or very terrible.

Wasn't there some indication it was a Fantastic Voyage riff? LOL.

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

porfiria posted:

Wasn't there some indication it was a Fantastic Voyage riff? LOL.

I vaguely remember a quote where he said they would have gotten deep into midichlorians and the force on a molecular (maybe atomic?) level, but I also heard that the first film would have been a young girl searching for and being taught by hermit-Luke (basically combining the current episode 7 and 8 plots), so maybe he meant on a philosophical level rather than a literal one.

He could also have been trolling in a "they died" way.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Episode 7 & 8 concept art books have some hints as to what would have been in Lucas' version. Some is the same, like Luke training an apprentice (named Kira instead of Rey) who finds him in solitude after a Jedi Killer wipes out his students, but a lot is different.
There's a lot of art depicting Kira taking the Falcon into the ruins of the Emperor's tower on the Death Star, which is submerged in a lake on Endor. The Falcon itself seems to have been in mothballs on Felucia instead of Jakku as well.

The Jedi Killer character has a lot of different concepts, including various aliens - one of which is Darth Talon from the EU (Lucas also once requested she be added to the eventually-cancelled Darth Maul video game). The Vader-fanboy idea seems to have appeared when they dumped Lucas' outlines.

Since the character designs are so varied, it's unlikely he was Han & Leia's son - though his name might have been the same.
A character named Kybo Ren appeared in the Droids cartoon, which lent a bunch of names to things in the prequels. Could be coincidence, but Lucas is fond of reusing names in general - Utapau from Episode 3 was the original name of both Tatooine and Naboo.

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

Robot Style posted:

The Episode 7 & 8 concept art books have some hints as to what would have been in Lucas' version. Some is the same, like Luke training an apprentice (named Kira instead of Rey) who finds him in solitude after a Jedi Killer wipes out his students, but a lot is different.
There's a lot of art depicting Kira taking the Falcon into the ruins of the Emperor's tower on the Death Star, which is submerged in a lake on Endor. The Falcon itself seems to have been in mothballs on Felucia instead of Jakku as well.

The Jedi Killer character has a lot of different concepts, including various aliens - one of which is Darth Talon from the EU (Lucas also once requested she be added to the eventually-cancelled Darth Maul video game). The Vader-fanboy idea seems to have appeared when they dumped Lucas' outlines.

Since the character designs are so varied, it's unlikely he was Han & Leia's son - though his name might have been the same.
A character named Kybo Ren appeared in the Droids cartoon, which lent a bunch of names to things in the prequels. Could be coincidence, but Lucas is fond of reusing names in general - Utapau from Episode 3 was the original name of both Tatooine and Naboo.

That's very interesting! Does this existing concept art mean that Lucas hired artists and was further in development of Episode 7 than just an outline by the time he sold SW to Disney, or did J.J. and Disney start developing the film based on his outline before at some point starting over? Lucas seems to be of the opinion that they threw his outline straight in the trash, but maybe they explored his ideas for longer than he thinks?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GetBehindTheMule posted:

That's very interesting! Does this existing concept art mean that Lucas hired artists and was further in development of Episode 7 than just an outline by the time he sold SW to Disney, or did J.J. and Disney start developing the film based on his outline before at some point starting over? Lucas seems to be of the opinion that they threw his outline straight in the trash, but maybe they explored his ideas for longer than he thinks?

I could be misremembering, but I believe Michael Arndt was working on a screenplay based on Lucas's outlines, but eventually they decided that wasn't working out, so Arndt was fired and they ditched the outlines then. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if they had already gotten to some concept art based off the outline/partially written script.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

that last guy is the worm from labyrinth

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
UNIRACERS CROSSOVER CONFIRMED

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Alright I been a huge grump about all things Star Wars but I have to ask something I heard about a spoiler
Is there any reputability to a disturbing rumor that episode 9 will be about a new light side dark side "balance" instead of the light side being balance? The place I heard it from seems full of dipshits so I have to ask here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Alright I been a huge grump about all things Star Wars but I have to ask something I heard about a spoiler
Is there any reputability to a disturbing rumor that episode 9 will be about a new light side dark side "balance" instead of the light side being balance? The place I heard it from seems full of dipshits so I have to ask here.

Yeah I mean you can kinda see them going that way in the last one. I could totally see them do away with the whole light / dark concept.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Jedi being able to JO without immense guilt will be refreshing imo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

GetBehindTheMule posted:

I think the film probably started out being based on Lucas' ideas and then gradually drifted away as Arndt and Abrams became more involved. Lucas apparently gave the artists his Episode 7 treatment in January, and based on that they made art of:

- Two protagonists, Sam and Kira. Kira became Rey, and Sam would evolve into Finn (though he's visually coded as Han Solo Jr.)
- The Jedi Killer, who is sometimes an alien and/or a woman, precluding them from being Han & Leia's son. the "Darth Talon" version of this character is the most commonly featured.
- Luke in exile on a remote planet, and Kira's training with him.
- The Millennium Falcon on Felucia, overgrown with plant life and often with the Jedi Killer standing nearby. Felucia itself is depicted as having an atmosphere filled with debris.
- A "crashed Imperial space station" is mentioned as the origin of the Jakku concept - this is depicted as the submerged wreckage of the second Death Star, and the Emperor's tower is where the map to Luke is found. Since the Millennium Falcon has also been abandoned on Felucia, the planet may have been intended as the film's starship graveyard rather than Jakku.

There's also an early storyboard sequence from March for the opening of the film that, while not necessarily from Lucas' treatment, does differ substantially from the final film.
The opening crawl is included in the storyboard, and while it's scratched out, some of the last paragraph is still somewhat legible and reads "as the COALITION OF STAR SYSTEMS has begun to seize control of the Outer Rim, and challenge the Republic's right to rule...."
The scene then mirrors the opening of A New Hope, but instead of a Star Destroyer chasing a rebel ship, it's a desiccated husk being towed by one. A salvage ship piloted by Skylar (aka Sam/Finn) is trying to plunder the Star Destroyer before it gets dumped in Jakku's atmosphere - Skylar, who is dressed identically to Han Solo, is accompanied by a Wookiee and an R2 unit. As the Star Destroyer begins to plummet, Skylar is forced into an escape pod - the Wookiee and droid don't make it.
Skylar ejects in the escape pod on the way down, and "Thea" (Kira/Rey) begins scavenging from the Star Destroyer as soon as it crash lands.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's certainly possible but none of the leaks I've seen have talked about that one way or the other.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Robot Style posted:

There's also an early storyboard sequence from March for the opening of the film that, while not necessarily from Lucas' treatment, does differ substantially from the final film.
The opening crawl is included in the storyboard, and while it's scratched out, some of the last paragraph is still somewhat legible and reads "as the COALITION OF STAR SYSTEMS has begun to seize control of the Outer Rim, and challenge the Republic's right to rule...."
The scene then mirrors the opening of A New Hope, but instead of a Star Destroyer chasing a rebel ship, it's a desiccated husk being towed by one. A salvage ship piloted by Skylar (aka Sam/Finn) is trying to plunder the Star Destroyer before it gets dumped in Jakku's atmosphere - Skylar, who is dressed identically to Han Solo, is accompanied by a Wookiee and an R2 unit. As the Star Destroyer begins to plummet, Skylar is forced into an escape pod - the Wookiee and droid don't make it.
Skylar ejects in the escape pod on the way down, and "Thea" (Kira/Rey) begins scavenging from the Star Destroyer as soon as it crash lands.

Sounds better than what we got.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Goddamn that sounds way better

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019
What are the chances of a full history of the development of the Sequel Trilogy ever being released that isn't bought and paid for by Disney?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GetBehindTheMule posted:

What are the chances of a full history of the development of the Sequel Trilogy ever being released that isn't bought and paid for by Disney?

Eh, the guy who wrote The Secret History of Star Wars (which is a book I cannot recommend enough) might give it a go at some point. But I imagine it'll be harder to track down original draft stuff than it was before Disney and their secrecy got involved.

Then again, it's not like Lucas was against scrubbing things from history himself, with official "behind the scenes" stuff occasionally having revisionist stuff put into it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

Then again, it's not like Lucas was against scrubbing things from history himself, with official "behind the scenes" stuff occasionally having revisionist stuff put into it.

Towards the end of "Making of Star Wars", there are some notes where Lucas expands on the characters and the setting written after the release of the movie. In C3PO's backstory there's a short quip about how he worked in a place with a high attrition rate where most droid broke down fast, but he was lucky to be reassembled by a young boy working for a junk dealer and later got new a covering.

I always wonder if that's a later insertion, because that's uhm... specific :stare:
On the other hand, why even bother putting that in? Luke's dad and Darth Vader are still separate people in those notes and Han Solo was raised by "space gypsies".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's the same set of notes that had a mention of midichlorians added for the book, so it's likely there were other things nudged to be more in line with the prequels.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't care as long as it has more mom jokes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The your mom jokes in TLJ are good and there should be more.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It’s that time of the year, again.

It’s time for hilariously fake and unsubstantiated scripted based rumor-mongering.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
False. Captain Mical will be Hux's old flame, throwing a wrench into his sadomasochistic relationship with Kylo Ren.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Peyton Reed indulged in that tradition back in 2000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIippwrXSc

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Maarak posted:

Peyton Reed indulged in that tradition back in 2000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIippwrXSc

Ahahahahaha what the gently caress is this poo poo.

I'm guessing the accurate stuff was from the trailers? Or maybe they rewrote half the film?

Nah that guy was a phony.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

spoilers: beige costumes & sand

https://twitter.com/jjabrams/status/1096496364576493568

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

We need jivjov to explain whether this is Jakku or Tatooine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Slutitution posted:

It's Planet Tunisia.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Slutitution posted:

Rey is looking at Jakku and the guys are looking at Tatooine obviously

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

THE FIRST ORDER IS DEAD! THE FIRST ORDER IS DEAD!

...30 YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE THE FALL OF THE FIRST ORDER AND FROM THE ASHES HAVE RISEN... THE SECOND ORDER ™.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

...30 YEARS HAVE PASSED SINCE THE FALL OF THE FIRST ORDER AND FROM THE ASHES HAVE RISEN... THE SECOND ORDER ™.

AW SON OF A BITCH

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Some additional clarifications and information about a couple subjects:

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/02/star-wars-episode-ix-wraps-and-we-have-some-clarification-on-various-rumors/

The thing that stands out to me is "Rey’s hair is in the style above because it has to match older footage of Rey that was shot with Carrie for The Force Awakens."

While I guess that would make it easier, was it technically necessary? Couldn't they give Rey whatever hairstyle they want and simply cut her into the old footage? I guess if they are wanting to reduce the amount of FX shots necessary, they can just make Rey look closer to how she did, but I'm not sure that was required.

Also regarding the Beyond, the last time I posted about the rumor I completely forgot about the Acolytes of the Beyond from the Aftermath trilogy. That always seemed like a weird tangent to introduce that seemed to go nowhere, I'm hopefully that this is that thread being laid years ago and being paid off finally.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slutitution posted:

The ancient prophecy about a boy and girl finding robots with messages for a rebellion have been fulfilled and the planet's true name has been restored

Welcome back to Jakkooine

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The screenwriters have a plan.