Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Xbox app has the ability to form parties outside of the game, you sometimes see people advertising groups there. The last couple times I tried to join a random galleon the people that I joined had absolutely no fuckin idea what was going on or what they were doing, and none of them ever spoke. It was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

That's true, Xbox has distinct Party chat (native to Xbox Live itself) and game chat (like SoT offers automatically). They are mutually exclusive - if I'm in party chat with my crew and want to shout something to a nearby ship, I have to leave party chat to use in-game chat.

On the other hand, the in-game chat in SoT is proximity-based. If my crew and I are searching an medium-size island for loot, they will 'go out of earshot' and won't hear each other.

It's a mixed blessing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's why discord on PC rules. One moment I can talk privately to everyone else and the next I can make fun of the dudes we killed

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

If you're on PC you can be in Xbox party chat through the app, and use push to talk in-game chat. Discord's probably better to use but one of my crew is on xbox so it works for us

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Can you use Discord at all if you're on Xbox? Or do I need to lug my laptop to the couch for that to work.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

Can you use Discord at all if you're on Xbox? Or do I need to lug my laptop to the couch for that to work.

You can link your XBL and Discord accounts but all that does is let people on discord see what you are playing (and vice versa I think) and make it easier to join discord players via invites etc.

If your WiFi connection is good you can always just download the discord app on your phone, plug a headset into your phone (or connect via Bluetooth), and talk on discord using that. The disadvantage is then you can't talk in game at all, unlike a PC player who can chat in discord and then press a different button to talk in game.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Had a heck of a game the other night, must have been a full server. We were in a brig and ran a skull fort, we fought off two different galleons who kept respawning and trying to kick us out. Because of the timing of their respawns we were basically always fighting for a long time. We finally managed to get the key so we tried to book it until the heat died down. Both galleons managed to spot and chase us, we sunk one but the other was pretty good at harassing us from a distance. There was a running battle through the heart of a storm which was fantastic. Eventually I got dropped off at an island with the key, my crewmates got a lucky Meg spawn that helped kill the galleon.

After all that bullshit we ran back to the fort to get our loot only to find it was active again and being ran by one of the galleons and a sloop, still not sure if they were allied. Plan was to smash and grab because we were out of supplies and it was getting late irl. We rolled up and sunk the galleon, sloop took off. We opened the vault only to get kegged by a straggler. I stashed some loot up a tower but got cornered by skeletons. Spawn far away, haul rear end back to the fort to find the sloop still there because they didn't realize the vault was open. My buddy grabs the mega keg and blasts the sloop, I kill the sloop crew, we dip out of there with two galleons converging on us again. A total clusterfuck of a session but holey moley it was a lot of fun.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Whats is interesting in this game is the whole fluid PVP aspect that while Chaos, is a really large part of the fun.

And since Loot while lucrative, isn't essential to the gameplay, it makes loosing some/all of it not that huge of a deal as long as you get a epic tale out of it. :pirate:

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Had a good tactic pulled on us a few weeks ago. As we were chasing a brig, they veered towards a skeleton boat. At first we laughed that they were going to get screwed, they took a few pot shots at it and then veered away. As we continued to chase them, the skeleton ship agro'd us. So we had to fight that off while trying to follow the brig. Was a good tactic I shall use in the future.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
While I can't post any details here, let me just say this game is going to get some real game changing features soon, so a lot of tactics and things are going to change. Its a good time to be playing the game!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

EdEddnEddy posted:

And since Loot while lucrative, isn't essential to the gameplay, it makes loosing some/all of it not that huge of a deal as long as you get a epic tale out of it. :pirate:

I really enjoy that loot and death are pretty inconsequential in this game. It makes it more fun to just try to pull off dumb moves, futz around, and not worry about ~my progress~.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

diapermeat posted:

Had a good tactic pulled on us a few weeks ago. As we were chasing a brig, they veered towards a skeleton boat. At first we laughed that they were going to get screwed, they took a few pot shots at it and then veered away. As we continued to chase them, the skeleton ship agro'd us. So we had to fight that off while trying to follow the brig. Was a good tactic I shall use in the future.

Similar tactics that end up being semi random is pulling a Meg onto an enemy ship or even a skeli ship. Now that they are what seems harder to kill, and always aggro, they can be a royal pain in the rear end to deal with if you get caught out in open water.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Kitchner posted:

While I can't post any details here, let me just say this game is going to get some real game changing features soon, so a lot of tactics and things are going to change. Its a good time to be playing the game!

Looking forward to it! Still trying to verify the claim of one random redditor that you can 'get to PL in about a week now', but more content equals more fun.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

Looking forward to it! Still trying to verify the claim of one random redditor that you can 'get to PL in about a week now', but more content equals more fun.

I don't think a week is true but it's faster thanks to dubloons and the fact previous commendations still grant dubloons.

At 30 dubloons per level and the halfway mark exo wise being level 40, you need about 900 dubloons to buy your way from half way. I think that's a little too much realistically but not a million miles off.

If you grab the commendations while grinding to just over half way and then spend all your dubloons it's basically halved the time to PL.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Doubloons are finite aren't they? Seems crazy to spend them on levels.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You get way more than you need for cosmetics and the level up prices are very reasonable (or at least they were last year). Well, I only needed to buy like 9 levels but still.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pirate legend is a long term goal you go for while just playing normally, and then suddenly you do the napkin math and realize you have enough doubloons you can just buy the rest of the way.

And then you start with the Athena’s commendations for doing things as a pirate legend.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I follow the Tao, and prefer to let all those things happen naturally through the path of least resistance

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I don't think a week is true but it's faster thanks to dubloons and the fact previous commendations still grant dubloons.

At 30 dubloons per level and the halfway mark exo wise being level 40, you need about 900 dubloons to buy your way from half way. I think that's a little too much realistically but not a million miles off.

If you grab the commendations while grinding to just over half way and then spend all your dubloons it's basically halved the time to PL.

Sounds like I need to look up the doubloon rewards for the commendations. I have about 140d now.

oh wait, I already did that and made a spreadsheet :v: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DTsuuT40Dsg_JMyetTa4Z2syPXor-mVgEkfPGTBJI_w/edit?usp=sharing

Not all commendations that used to give doubloons still give them though - the old events that are no longer active don't seem to.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 17, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Doubloons are finite aren't they? Seems crazy to spend them on levels.

Dubloons are finite and if you were to add up the price of all the previous limited time cosmetics and compare it to the total dubloons (1420? Jesus christ) you'd be right.

However, as of today, there is only one set of cosmetics you can get (whatever is tied into the ongoing event) but a lot more dubloons you can claim.

So if we take the 1420 as granted, there's one cosmetic set, even if it cost 150 dubloons for the whole thing, that leaves more than enough to buy half your levels.

On top of that when the next cosmetic comes out, there will be additional commendations with enough dubloons to at least buy the entire set.

So basically because you can't buy the previous time limited cosmetics, you might as well spend the dubloons on levels. However, if you are min-maxing your way to PL then technically you shouldn't spend your dubloons until you have enough to buy your way to PL in one go.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Only buy levels in Merchants’, those guys suck.
Nearing the watermark to seal the deal within the month, after a solid year of mostly just being a bully. What a time to be alive.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You'd probably just want to buy the last levels of the annoying factions like merchant and souls, everyone gets far more treasure chests then the rest I assume.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Joined a friend last night, joined what seemed like a random alliance somewhere, and suddenly I could see 3 or 4 ships on the map. I think we stumbled onto an alliance server, where everyone is in the same alliance. Was pretty peaceful at first, but after 3 hours it... kinda took the risk out of the game. And we weren't even doing skull forts, just grinding bottle quests and skull bounties. At some point we had 100+ cannonballs, 80+ bananas and 50+ planks, just from looting barrels on every island we stopped at. Only used them twice, on two skeleton ships.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Only buy levels in Merchants’, those guys suck.
Nearing the watermark to seal the deal within the month, after a solid year of mostly just being a bully. What a time to be alive.

What do you mean? You were a toxic pirate for a reason, and not just because?

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 18, 2019

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
just want to have my bananas and eat them too

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

Joined a friend last night, joined what seemed like a random alliance somewhere, and suddenly I could see 3 or 4 ships on the map. I think we stumbled onto an alliance server, where everyone is in the same alliance. Was pretty peaceful at first, but after 3 hours it... kinda took the risk out of the game. And we weren't even doing skull forts, just grinding bottle quests and skull bounties. At some point we had 100+ cannonballs, 80+ bananas and 50+ planks, just from looting barrels on every island we stopped at. Only used them twice, on two Megs.

Yeah, whereas when I played last night there was two of us on a Brig, and we had just dropped off cargo run stuff when a sloop came up behind us and started hitting us with cannons. Fair play to then they caught us at a bad angle, and then kept hitting us as we spawn so they had control of the situation. Until both of them went over to the brig while I swam towards their sloop. As our brig sank I raised the sloop anchor and dropped the sails, shouting "thanks for the ship!".

Found they had a gunpowder barrel, used that to blow holes in it. Then spawn camped them like they did to us saying "thanks for the ship" every time I killed them. Their ship sunk too so I went with typing "ez" in the chat when they spawned on the dead ship.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Merijn posted:

lol

Being an aggro pirate that exclusively pvps for gold is a legit way to play, sir.

e; oh and whats more killing for the pure joy of it and consigning all the treasure to the sea is also a legit way to play for that matter.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 18, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Take what you can, give nothin' back.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Merijn posted:

To be fair, it's called Sea of Thieves and not Sea of Friends for at least a few reasons! Kill 'em all.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
merchant quests are the most boring for a reason

this is easily the best tradelane harassment simulator i've seen since Freelancer. also even if you don't want to be a legit pirate you can still go fool bilge rat and crewhop over and over again until you get onto a ship that's halfway through a quest that's way above your paygrade.

i've been able to afford all my favorite skins this way because the people that actually grind to Legend status using public galleons will actually be thankful that you're walking around giving everyone bananas and collecting wood instead of actively sabotaging your own shares until they put you in the brig

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

It was an honest question. Jeff Goldblum stated at least once he was 'the most toxic of toxic pirates'. If he was doing it for the Legendary Thief commendation, for example, I'd understand better.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

It was an honest question. Jeff Goldblum stated at least once he was 'the most toxic of toxic pirates'. If he was doing it for the Legendary Thief commendation, for example, I'd understand better.

To be fair to a good portion of the subreddit and the forums you're "toxic" literally for just killing someone and taking all their stuff. So it depends on your definition of toxic and what it really entails.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I have a strict policy of coming away from every encounter with either an ally or all their stuff. The ocean is cruel and neutrality isn't an option.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Last night I found a nice open crew galleon to sail around doing forts, and we had this doofus come after us multiple times with his sloop and when we killed him you’d think we went after him to start.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

the beauty of sea of thieves is sometimes you feel like murdering every son of a mermaid you see and taking everything just to watch them squirm, sometimes you feel like sneaking aboard a galleon and hiding while waiting for a good opportunity to dump all of their loot overboard and steal their rowboat

and sometimes you feel like watering plants and euro boating instead

and you can do that

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

the beauty of sea of thieves is sometimes you feel like murdering every son of a mermaid you see and taking everything just to watch them squirm, sometimes you feel like sneaking aboard a galleon and hiding while waiting for a good opportunity to dump all of their loot overboard and steal their rowboat

and sometimes you feel like watering plants and euro boating instead

and you can do that

This is very true. We tend to do the 'Camp outposts/sneak onto boats and ruin dreams' more often than not but it's nice to just do an Athena ourselves sometimes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just start a random voyage and have the general goal of completing that, while also investigating everything I come across during my travels. Generally I'm gonna try and sink whoever I see just for the fun of it, but if they seem cool in some way I'll leave 'em be. Never, EVER complain or talk poo poo, because that's a paddlin'

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I feel obligated to steal, like, it's in the name. Last session I played I jumped on a goon brig of two and first we ambushed a sloop who I sworded to death but had nothing so I drew a happy-face on his map and we went on our way.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Merijn posted:

It's because being a "toxic" pirate extended my progress to Pirate Legend by at least two times. Gold Hoarders and Order of Souls came much easier, naturally; and, after completing Gold Hoarders, I realize that many ships we rob mostly carry treasure chests, so I will use what doubloons I have from commendations from turning in stolen treasure to buy the remaining levels in Merchants' once I have finished OoS.

The point of Pirate Legend, of course, is relatively moot as my crew will not want to do legendary voyages. However, having access to the legendary hideout did come as somewhat of a cute curiosity. And, I will finally get the commendation for stealing an Athena's chest, if it does not trigger retroactively.

In more recent news, the best loot we got this week was finding a sloop with a reaper's mark on, whose only desire was for us to kill them so that they could get a pink flame and complete the commendation to get all lantern colors on their ship. While they were explaining how long it took to get the purple flame, we simply jumped on their ship and colored all the flames one color, then sunk them. There was another instance where we sunk a pirate legend helping some friends with a mercenary voyage, and they chased us for so long that they had recruited other ships into an alliance just to try and help them catch us. However, just listening to the moment when someone realizes all of their work is being undone right in front of them is especially fulfilling.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

we all be playing sea of thieves while mr goldblum here is playing sea of dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Merijn posted:

we all be playing sea of thieves while mr goldblum here is playing sea of dicks

Nah, that is what peak performance looks like.

Goon speed Mr Goldblum