Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blue Velvet Revisited looks fascinating, which is enough to get me to rebuy. I recall the MGM edition is one of their discs with no real menus, just the ugly [MENU] button ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

other than that documentary the blue velvet bluray is still in print, looks great, and you can get it for $6

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I want a Criterion edition of The Straight Story.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't think Disney does Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think Disney does Criterion.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic, Rebecca, Notorious, and Straw Dogs are all from Disney.

They’ve also been licensing a ton of films to Kino Lorber ranging from 30s Selznick films to Cabin Boy.

There’s a 100% chance we’ll see it come from either Criterion or Kino.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Detective No. 27 posted:

May releases:

:siren:Blue Velvet:siren:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I imagine they're going through the "big hits" of Lynch's filmography before they get into the more niche stuff.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

DumbLand as their first 4K title

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm wondering now if they're not building up to releasing Lost Highway and Cache in the same month.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Franchescanado posted:

I want a Criterion edition of The Straight Story.

I think David Lynch is one of the few directors to do a film with every rating between G and R. Which I find kind of fascinating.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Toebone posted:

I imagine they're going through the "big hits" of Lynch's filmography before they get into the more niche stuff.

I want Wild at Heart and Lost Highway right loving now

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Well you are in luck then, Shout Factory just put out Wild at Heart a couple months ago

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think David Lynch is one of the few directors to do a film with every rating between G and R. Which I find kind of fascinating.
I don't know if that's all that rare. First one that come to mind
Cuaron:
A Little Princess G
Harry Potter PG
Gravity PG13
Roma R

G rated movies are hard to come by admittedly, so yeah it's rare. But that speaks more to the lack of non animated G rated movies than about the breadth of any given director. Given the list below the quality of a director who does so is very variable.

Edit: Lasse Hallström
Hachi: A Dog's Tale G
A Dog's Purpose PG
Safe Haven PG13
Casanova R

Garry Marshall (has actually made two of each!)
The Princess Diaries G
Runaway Bride PG
Beaches PG13
Pretty Woman R

Stephen Herek
101 Dalmatians G
Mr. Holland's Opus PG
Life or Something Like It PG13

Robert Zemeckis
The Polar Express G
A Christmas Carol PG
Beowulf PG13
Flight R
Rock Star R

Agnieszka Holland, Gary Winick, George Miller, Mike Mitchell, Yimou Zhang
My favourite (and also my favourite director, and most appropriate for the Criterion thread):
Éric Rohmer (this shows how arbitrary ratings are, especially for foreign films, his G, PG, PG13 and R rated movies are all incredibly similar in style and content)

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 16, 2019

2019 BEAST MODE
Jan 17, 2019
Surely Takashi Miike must be on that list.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:aaa:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Every print I've seen of this has looked like poo poo, so this is really something special.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Would an Inland Empire Blu-Ray even be worthwhile? Iirc it was filmed on kinda low res digital.

It looked great in theatres so, probably?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Criterion Channel's new movie of the week is Stalker. I already have the Blu-Ray release, but hey, good excuse to finally do that rewatch I've been putting off for years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's an extra on The Seventh Seal's Blu-ray (and in the cinema set), but Bergman Island is a wonderful documentary.

Mostly intimate interviews with Bergman about his life as he rewatches home movies and clips from his films, as well as gives a tour of his home. There's a wonderful bit where he shows his fireplace, which was designed so that he could sit back with a glass of wine next to it and look at toward the sea. Also get to see his personal cinema, which is a little theater with green armchairs for seats and was converted from a barn. His living room where he kept his TV has a wall full of VHS tapes.

I found it fascinating because Bergman is surprisingly candid about himself. He doesn't hesitate to talk about how awful he could be to others. One story he tells is Victor Sjostrom having a talk with him after hearing he was being a tyrant to his crew during the making of his first feature film. Bergman acts out the encounter as if Sjostrom grabbed him by the neck and being subtly threatening.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

It's an extra on The Seventh Seal's Blu-ray (and in the cinema set), but Bergman Island is a wonderful documentary.

Mostly intimate interviews with Bergman about his life as he rewatches home movies and clips from his films, as well as gives a tour of his home. There's a wonderful bit where he shows his fireplace, which was designed so that he could sit back with a glass of wine next to it and look at toward the sea. Also get to see his personal cinema, which is a little theater with green armchairs for seats and was converted from a barn. His living room where he kept his TV has a wall full of VHS tapes.

I found it fascinating because Bergman is surprisingly candid about himself. He doesn't hesitate to talk about how awful he could be to others. One story he tells is Victor Sjostrom having a talk with him after hearing he was being a tyrant to his crew during the making of his first feature film. Bergman acts out the encounter as if Sjostrom grabbed him by the neck and being subtly threatening.

I highly recommend the complete, three hour version of this, "Ingmar Bergman - 3 Documentaries About Film, Theatre, Fårö and Life".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone was interested, The Numbers lists sales for some Criterion releases:
https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/distributor/Criterion

Notorious hit the top 20 Blu-ray sales for the week of its release, selling 13,000+ copies.

According to their listing, among their best-selling titles: Blow-Up, They Live By Night, The Uninvited, F for Fake (!), Chimes at Midnight, The Asphalt Jungle, In a Lonely Place, A Brighter Summer Day, Watership Down, Macbeth, My Darling Clementine, Tokyo Story, Blue is the Warmest Color (possibly their best-selling)

FitFortDanga posted:

I highly recommend the complete, three hour version of this, "Ingmar Bergman - 3 Documentaries About Film, Theatre, Fårö and Life".

Will check it out.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I AM HERE for the Nick Ray and Edward Yang love

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For the charter subscribers of The Criterion Channel, the movie of the week is To Sleep with Anger.

Actually a big deal considering it's a Sony title, so I hope this means they get to continue having major studio films in addition to the stuff they have through Janus.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

According to their listing, among their best-selling titles: Blow-Up, They Live By Night, The Uninvited, F for Fake (!), Chimes at Midnight, The Asphalt Jungle, In a Lonely Place, A Brighter Summer Day, Watership Down, Macbeth, My Darling Clementine, Tokyo Story, Blue is the Warmest Color (possibly their best-selling)

Interesting, and that's even with the abandoned special edition scenario

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Notorious hit the top 20 Blu-ray sales for the week of its release, selling 13,000+ copies.

Will check it out.

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but that list really surprises me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Criterion is back up. :toot:

One cool thing is that anything you buy off their site automatically gets added to your collection.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Just in time for that February flash sale

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

For the charter subscribers of The Criterion Channel, the movie of the week is To Sleep with Anger.

Actually a big deal considering it's a Sony title, so I hope this means they get to continue having major studio films in addition to the stuff they have through Janus.

Also a big deal because they just released it! Very excited to watch this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Umm, this looks pretty suspect. A lot of titles missing from that list, including presumably huge sellers like Beastie Boys, Punch-Drunk Love, a lot of the Wes Anderson, Chasing Amy, Michael Bay, et cetera. Also, Life Aquatic, Fear and Loathing, and Mulholland Drive made ZERO dollars? I don't think so, fellas. This looks like meaningless data to me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Umm, this looks pretty suspect. A lot of titles missing from that list, including presumably huge sellers like Beastie Boys, Punch-Drunk Love, a lot of the Wes Anderson, Chasing Amy, Michael Bay, et cetera. Also, Life Aquatic, Fear and Loathing, and Mulholland Drive made ZERO dollars? I don't think so, fellas. This looks like meaningless data to me.

I think it just means some titles are in the database, but never had figures updated.

It seems accurate for those actually listed since $500K would mean approx. 13-15K copies sold, which is plausible.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah the idea that none of Wes Anderson’s movies are at the top makes me figure this is bunk data

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Does Criterion Channel stream any supplemental material along with the films like featurettes/documentaries/commentary? I'm a sucker for those kinds of bonus features and they're literally the only reason I still buy anything on physical media.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My Twitter Account posted:

Does Criterion Channel stream any supplemental material along with the films like featurettes/documentaries/commentary? I'm a sucker for those kinds of bonus features and they're literally the only reason I still buy anything on physical media.

For their weekly movies they have been. This week has an hour long supplemental feature, and a couple shorter ones. I hope content like that isn't a rarity when they launch the full library.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

wa27 posted:

For their weekly movies they have been. This week has an hour long supplemental feature, and a couple shorter ones. I hope content like that isn't a rarity when they launch the full library.

It wasn't a rarity on the last iteration of their streaming service, but they also didn't have it up for literally every movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To Sleep With Anger was really good. I loved it, actually. A superstitious and spiritual family drama with a devilish Danny Glover hamming it up? Hell yes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

To Sleep With Anger was really good. I loved it, actually. A superstitious and spiritual family drama with a devilish Danny Glover hamming it up? Hell yes.

This is definitely going to be a flash sale buy since I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've wanted to see Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep for a while, but Milestone hasn't upgraded it to Blu-ray yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

This is definitely going to be a flash sale buy since I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've wanted to see Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep for a while, but Milestone hasn't upgraded it to Blu-ray yet.

I did a little bit of a deeper write-up for the Streaming megathread, since it's appropriate there.

I really want to watch Killer of Sheep as well. It gets brought up quite a bit in the supplemental features.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah the idea that none of Wes Anderson’s movies are at the top makes me figure this is bunk data

This is totally anecdotal but I feel like anytime I'm in someone's house or apartment who isn't a Film Person they at least have The Royal Tenenbaums criterion DVD set. I even see it at Goodwill all the time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

in about 14 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

in about 14 hours

This is the Criterion.com flash sale, not a B+N sale right? Otherwise, I fear for my wallet.