Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main difference between the two to me, is that the first one just has much better production values and variety in scenery/setpieces etc. 2 just feels so cheap and repetitive and cobbled together. Also I enjoyed Raid Mode in 1 a lot and thought it was really bad in 2.

Actually, saying 2 is garbage was probably an overstatement. It's fun enough if you don't pay too much for it. I definitely don't get how some people prefer it to the first one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

For those wondering the Classic Character DLC is free on Steam also but you for some reason have to go to the store page and manually add them to your library.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Basticle posted:

For those wondering the Classic Character DLC is free on Steam also but you for some reason have to go to the store page and manually add them to your library.

Yeah as opposed to the Ghost Survivors, they’re actual DLC and not just a patch, which actually makes me kinda hype for future add-ons. :dance:

I’ll buy anything they put out for this game at this point TBH.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I liked Rev2 more because it didn’t have Rev 1’s horrible side cast and flashback levels.

Claire and Moira were a cool duo and I thought it was a decent prototype for a more horror modern RE game. There were also a lot of extras and replayable stuff, like an invisible mode, medals for unique win conditions, etc. I got a lot from each episode.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Teleporting Mr x sucks on hunk mode. Got comboed to hell on the stairs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So in Katherine's mode I accidentally threw the flashbang I wanted for the jail while I was trying to knife the basketball court zombie, but thankfully I was able to mix an RBG herb and tank my way through the hallway.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Anonymous Robot posted:

I bought Rev 2 at launch and played enough of it to encounter a few enemies, and I hated the way the enemies hardly flinched at all from gunshots. The gameplay felt really anemic, and I just put it down. I haven’t seen that as a very common complaint, though, so maybe I was just trippin.

Nah, they were always very forthright with the fact that Revelations 2 was an experiment in a lot of ways. It was episodic, made in a relative hurry, sold for a budget price, and feels a little more grimy and messy than a lot of the other games do.

In retrospect, you can kind of see the beginnings of the writing shift that led to RE7 and RE2make in Rev2. Things are introduced at its start that are resolved by its end, it's surprisingly character-driven, and at the time of its release, I believe Moira was singlehandedly responsible for more spoken profanity than existed in the rest of the entirety of the franchise.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There was never any need for profanity until the franchise added centipedes and spiders!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Smooth launch on the retro DLC. Had to restart Steam, tried to download Leon's first, which launched the game as it downloaded, so I alt-tabbed to add Claire's to the queue, which caused it to attempt to run a second instance of the game. Then I had to restart the game again to set both characters to '98 :v:

Silliness aside, this is awesome.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After it took me ten or so tries to beat 4th Survivor I beat Tofu Survivor first try and I’ve never been prouder as a gamer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The main characters make Rev2 the game it is. Despite the similarities I like Rev1’s gameplay more overall but I still enjoy parts of Rev2. But Rev1 has nothing on how Rev2 wrote Claire, Moira, and Barry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
These DLCs aren’t great they feel like HUNK but without all the stuff that makes it interesting. Plus HUNK only really works as a one of.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There was never any need for profanity until the franchise added centipedes and spiders!

so uh since about 1 hour into the first game?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

Watch my let's plays and streams, I'm optimistic and also like getting punched in the face by mr X which are the two qualifying factors

cjabos is legit a good streamer and deserves to self promote, definitely watch his streams

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Andrigaar posted:

Smooth launch on the retro DLC. Had to restart Steam, tried to download Leon's first, which launched the game as it downloaded, so I alt-tabbed to add Claire's to the queue, which caused it to attempt to run a second instance of the game. Then I had to restart the game again to set both characters to '98 :v:

Silliness aside, this is awesome.

Free DLC on Steam always works this way annoyingly.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im going to assume anyone saying "rev 1s gameplay was better" wasnt playing it on the 3ds using a loving circle nub to aim with. its very likely the gameplay is a lot better than i recall or will give it credit for but man alive that nub is loving trash and i wish they would have even just used a lovely little circle stick like the psp had

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Based on what I'm seeing from other people online, I think there was definitely a bit of a miscommunication between the advertising and the actual DLC.

The DLC didn't have a really detailed ad campaign or anything, but from what I can remember Capcom played up the characters aspect, selling it as a what-if for these particular NPCs. Then, fans kind of ran with that and assumed we'd see more of a storyline.

The DLC itself is fine, but it's much more of an action experience than what people were expecting. No checkpoints, no saves, no puzzles, hordes of enemies, etc. It's cool, but they could have done the same experience with the main cast, or Chris Redfield, or Akuma or whoever.

I think if they had advertised it as an extreme battle mode with selectable characters, and then potentially did something different as a What-If, it would be better received.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think I agree with whoever said that Ghost Survivors is blatantly a pilot project. They're using three models they had handy--I assume Ghost is just sticking a new head on Hunk--and seeing what people's reaction will be.

There's a lot of room here to add more "Ghosts" if there's a reaction: Annette, Marvin, Elliot, maybe David Ford the Licker-hating cop, Irons (making a run for the lab with the pendant in hand?), another Sherry-style stealth mission with Emma Kendo, etc.

I remember there was a Japanese fan-comic back in the day that did a few pages about the (theorized) life and death of a woman who became one particular zombie in the RPD, the one in a tank top and cut-offs who's always standing outside the darkroom on an A run, and that could actually be a neat idea for more "Ghosts."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m didn’t expect a thorough storyline but your character is basically mute and just does stuff. It’s so disappointing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

cjabos is legit a good streamer and deserves to self promote, definitely watch his streams

:tipshat:

Wanderer posted:

I think I agree with whoever said that Ghost Survivors is blatantly a pilot project. They're using three models they had handy--I assume Ghost is just sticking a new head on Hunk--and seeing what people's reaction will be.

Yeah the pale heads are definitely "whoops we don't have a spot to include these in the main game" quality enemies. If they make a story DLC, I'm sure they will be back and just as ugly as ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Based on what I'm seeing from other people online, I think there was definitely a bit of a miscommunication between the advertising and the actual DLC.

The DLC didn't have a really detailed ad campaign or anything, but from what I can remember Capcom played up the characters aspect, selling it as a what-if for these particular NPCs. Then, fans kind of ran with that and assumed we'd see more of a storyline.

The DLC itself is fine, but it's much more of an action experience than what people were expecting. No checkpoints, no saves, no puzzles, hordes of enemies, etc. It's cool, but they could have done the same experience with the main cast, or Chris Redfield, or Akuma or whoever.

I think if they had advertised it as an extreme battle mode with selectable characters, and then potentially did something different as a What-If, it would be better received.

Bring em on, I want every NPC to have a little remix mode for them. I loved the Hunk/Tofu map and would play tons more, since mastering a little 15 minute gameplay section is more palpable than say, trying to do a no save Hardcore S+ run.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

im going to assume anyone saying "rev 1s gameplay was better" wasnt playing it on the 3ds using a loving circle nub to aim with. its very likely the gameplay is a lot better than i recall or will give it credit for but man alive that nub is loving trash and i wish they would have even just used a lovely little circle stick like the psp had

Circle pad pro baby. It played great with that thing, that I never used again for another game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

speaking of revelations if nobody makes a lottie replacement model for mr. x mod the modding scene for this game is all useless

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Wrex Ruckus posted:

after dying a few times as Kendo, I switched to babby mode and played through all four scenarios that way. I'll probably go back and do them for real at some point.

anyone know what the deal is with the unlock for beating No Way Out with less than 60 bullets infinite cat ears?

that unlockable is like the bandana in metal gear solid. It gives you infinite ammo for all weapons (and cat ears probably) edit: all weapons in ghost survivors only

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 16, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah I played it on PC. Though when I say “gameplay” I mean more than just aiming and shooting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CJacobs posted:

The Ghost Survivors DLC is really, really different than I expected but it was a lot of terrifying fun. It's like a panic attack in video game form. I really do wish it'd been story based stuff instead, I don't think the game needed more arcade modes.

I ended up finishing it by getting grabbed inside the huge crowd, and then using the subsequent super-temporary-grab-invulnerability to stagger across the finish line.

I'm watching your VOD of it right now, and I gotta say that so far, the scariest part is how you keep mixing the small and yellow gunpowders to make only 3 shotgun shells in Kendo's scenario. Worse, you keep ditching the large gunpowder instead of mixing that with the yellow one instead. :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

IIRC you can replace the nub with the PSP style stick relatively easily on the N3DS

Worked wonders for the MGS3 port

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

MagusDraco posted:

that unlockable is like the bandana in metal gear solid. It gives you infinite ammo for all weapons (and cat ears probably) edit: all weapons in ghost survivors only

ah, that makes sense. I misinterpreted the description and thought, I dunno, the cat ears were some sort of joke weapon with infinite ammo

I do kinda wish more of the masks/accessories actually had traits beyond being purely cosmetic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wrex Ruckus posted:

ah, that makes sense. I misinterpreted the description and thought, I dunno, the cat ears were some sort of joke weapon with infinite ammo

I do kinda wish more of the masks/accessories actually had traits beyond being purely cosmetic.

98 costumes cannot be grab attacked because of the sharp spiky polygons, the 98 costume is like the anti coyote collar for pets

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m didn’t expect a thorough storyline but your character is basically mute and just does stuff. It’s so disappointing.

I'm the same way. Like, it's cool we got it but I was expecting something more.

edit: Made it through the Ghost game and now it's onto the Sheriff game and ugh, this poo poo is miserable. Yes Capcom, I'd love a watered down Mercenaries Mode that takes forever to complete and you're strapped with a peashooter pistol and weapon drops that have no ammo to go with them. And if you could make it on the smallest map in the world and make things a giant clusterfuck that'd be fantastic. I have 42/43 achievements and all remaining Records are tied to No Way Out, but honestly I don't want to play this lovely mode so I think it's time for trainer. I've gotten to the 80s~ in kill mark twice and it's taken over 10 minutes each time, yeah, no thanks.

sigher fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 16, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Coffee And Pie posted:

It’s disappointing the side character stuff is tied to the player character rather than A/B scenario. Leon and Sherry or Claire and Ada would both be funny.
Leon: "I have to arrest Annette for child abuse!"
Claire: *cures Kendo's daughter*

But yeah, my ideal version of the alternate scenarios idea would definitely be that 1. the Claire/Leon stories were far more interconnected, in terms of giving the player the feeling that both characters are doing things at the same time. Like one character goes off and does something somewhere, such as dipping into the underground passage, and when they return the other character has unlocked a bunch of places. 2. the difference between the Standard/Alternate scenario is who the character meets and how they react to that. Admittedly the former would likely require quite a bit more effort though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Played a bit of RE2 yesterday, got past G2.

Claire saw a zombie guard staring at a locked door and says "what the gently caress is wrong with you"

This game

10/10

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I've played the hell out of this game, but I've watched a lot of it too.

When you spent enough time watching elite speedrunners, the entire game looks kinda easy. They can crush the RPD in like 10 minutes.

I tried hardcore for the first time and the beginning destroyed me. Died a few times to the first zombie. Died a few more to the hallway before Marvin.

So, my initial dream of casually stumbling into an S+ rank has been dashed against the rocks. I'm using these ink ribbons!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good soup! posted:

IIRC you can replace the nub with the PSP style stick relatively easily on the N3DS

Worked wonders for the MGS3 port

The game actually came out a couple of years before the nub even existed and was marketed with the second stick add on. If you didn't have the Circle pad Pro™ it defaulted to RE4 controls (left stick aim) which I imagine was still better than the nub from the brief time I used it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speedrunning the game is quite "easy," there isn't anything that requires quick reflexes and it's mostly just memorization about your route since inventory management is so important. The rub of it is the RNG, because zombies can decide to be in bad spots, decide to double lunge at you, lose their limbs with random amounts of shots, etc. It's a test of your resolve basically because doing the same poo poo over and over perfectly won't always net you the same results and it'll drive you up the wall. There's so many situations that'll come up during a run where you'll get hosed and it's not your fault and there was nothing you can do and it feels incredibly cheap because of it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speedrunning the game is quite "easy," there isn't anything that requires quick reflexes and it's mostly just memorization about your route since inventory management is so important. The rub of it is the RNG, because zombies can decide to be in bad spots, decide to double lunge at you, lose their limbs with random amounts of shots, etc. It's a test of your resolve basically because doing the same poo poo over and over perfectly won't always net you the same results and it'll drive you up the wall. There's so many situations that'll come up during a run where you'll get hosed and it's not your fault and there was nothing you can do and it feels incredibly cheap because of it.

yeah it's crazy to me just redoing the east office and the west hallway to the detonator a few times. Sometimes a zombie would just cut me off as I moved the stack of books away from the door and it's hardcore so you're on danger and just wasted a full heal.

It's funny, I know 1st is supposed to be easier, but just going through it again I feel like 2nd has some nice perks? No gas stations/streets, you can get the magnum/SMG easier and quicker, you don't have to worry about the crazy detonator hallway (as Claire), you get the tuner early in the labs, etc. None of it is gigantic, but when you have to redo those parts a few times, 2nd seems like a vacation.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

yeah it's crazy to me just redoing the east office and the west hallway to the detonator a few times. Sometimes a zombie would just cut me off as I moved the stack of books away from the door and it's hardcore so you're on danger and just wasted a full heal.

It's funny, I know 1st is supposed to be easier, but just going through it again I feel like 2nd has some nice perks? No gas stations/streets, you can get the magnum/SMG easier and quicker, you don't have to worry about the crazy detonator hallway (as Claire), you get the tuner early in the labs, etc. None of it is gigantic, but when you have to redo those parts a few times, 2nd seems like a vacation.
B also has it's share of pranks you gotta keep an eye out for, when complacent about A route. The Dark room area is a real fuckin party compared to A.

"I need to remember to board up the window, good thing I have plenty of time to grab the board before they break in-" From zero to zombie before you even finish sprinting down the hall.

"Well, at least I can grab those handgun bullets upstairs, under the zombie that-" THUMP "...Falls down later in the game."

"Okay, okay. Everything is fine. Stairway zombie is dead. Might as well use the locker combo I already know up here on my way to the Spade key-" Zombie from the spade key room "Come oooooon" (Or wherever the +1 zombie from A was)

By contrast, it was surreal to leisurely walk through the east office grabbing the valve with next to no risk.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 16, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Claire B especially is good for this as you just get to skip huge chunks of the sewers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

All of the little things that need to go right to get a good run is crazy and is less about player skill and more about the gods smiling down upon you. You also have certain lovely things where if a zombie grabs you there's a chance that you push them off without taking damage and it's completely unknown why this happens; so if you happened to get grabbed you can sacrifice your first born to the dark one for a chance at triggering that animation and saving your run.

I did my Leon S+ on A and Claire S+ on B and the latter flowed a lot nicer for me. I spent a little more time doing so because I knew how much time I had extra to stock up on things and get extra weapons so the later parts of the game would be a cake-walk. I also completely skipped using one of the 3 saves. Maybe it was just me getting used to the run and what to expect but my Leon S+ run I never died up until the first save, but in the B game with Claire I had to restart at least 6 times before I managed to get to the point where I decided to save. I feel like the beginning is definitely harder since they throw more things at you sooner and you don't get to prepare much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im most likely the end of my A run as Claire so its probably Leon B next?

Should I start that on Hardcore? I've only died few times on standard, mostly to lickers.

I've played RE7 on Madhouse so im prepared for the worst.