Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's the one leftover from Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does it impact water flow much at all? Wonder if I could use it with my pressure washer.
Not discernibly at all.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
It legit says BLOOD on the window, and it looks like the picture of the ID plate has dried blood all over the sill. That's gnarly.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Motronic posted:

Your concern is CLEANING it when we're talking about a nightmare-electrical-system A8 that's got water in it and......who knows what else:

Primary Damage: BIOHAZARD/CHEMICAL

Edit: kept scrolling. The driver got shot through the window. With what appears to be a well-controlled automatic weapon or a well coordinated group of mercs.

I mean yeah the driver got shot to death but I think rainwater coming in through the bullet holes is going to be the big concern.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I am wondering if thats from police shooting the driver.

Ymmv but the smell of rotting blood and flesh outweighs the damage from a little rainwater.

I would be a little concerned that it doesn’t say run and drive, its an enhanced vehicle (its been cleaned) and keys exempt, potentially taken to the grave.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I looked around a little bit on Google but couldn't find a shooting / murder involving an Audi in Texas in 2018 (based on records), maybe someone else will have better luck

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rdb posted:

Ymmv but the smell of rotting blood and flesh outweighs the damage from a little rainwater.

I would agree for anything other than a german luxobarge. Trust me, the electronic nightmare that surely lies within will require gutting the interior anyway, making the actual cleaning part unnecessary since you can just throw all that poo poo away in the process while you're looking for a parts car that someone didn't get shot in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Aside from the implications, blood comes out really easily, as far as stains go. A bit of ice cold water and peroxide. Blot well and poof, no more gangsta guts on your aging Audi.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I finally have a good car for a before and after.
I jsut bought a used (226k) honda civic.
body and paint are already fubar, but i can still have fun practicing.
Before and afters this weekend!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow! People don’t really ever get shot where I live so seeing that you can buy a car where someone has so obviously been shot in is crazy to me. Buy it and start a thread, TIA.

Back on topic: are micro fibre cloths or a brush best for cleaning leather seats? I’ve been using cloths but saw some guy using a brush which seemed way better. Just would need to be a soft brush right?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Back on topic: are micro fibre cloths or a brush best for cleaning leather seats? I’ve been using cloths but saw some guy using a brush which seemed way better. Just would need to be a soft brush right?

¿Por que no los dos?
Yeah a soft brush is fine, small or medium. Think shoe brush size.
https://youtu.be/4Bd_IqK5ydU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Was there a link posted to the Chinese ceramic coating?

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

always be closing posted:

Was there a link posted to the Chinese ceramic coating?

This stuff

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti...6e-8cf1eec478f5

Works great, I've done two of my vehicles and salt + road grime comes off super easy.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

sirr0bin posted:

This stuff

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti...6e-8cf1eec478f5

Works great, I've done two of my vehicles and salt + road grime comes off super easy.

Is there a Chinese random orbital polisher and wax?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Shamino posted:

Is there a Chinese random orbital polisher and wax?

That's one tool to not cheap out on, imo. I've got an old Porter Cable and a newer Torx. The Torx is a great tool. The Porter Cable is legendary, but it's a zombie brand now, so I don't know what they are currently selling.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

meatpimp posted:

That's one tool to not cheap out on, imo. I've got an old Porter Cable and a newer Torx. The Torx is a great tool. The Porter Cable is legendary, but it's a zombie brand now, so I don't know what they are currently selling.

Harbor Freight is selling it, but it's under the Chicago Electric brand name.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Is the Griotts DA worth the price premium? Or is any well-reviewed DA pretty equal?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

PabloBOOM posted:

Is the Griotts DA worth the price premium? Or is any well-reviewed DA pretty equal?

I picked it because it comes with a lifetime warranty. I have 0 problems with it, it’s just a little loud.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love my Griot's DA but I have not used any other band of da

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looking to confirm or alter some old car washing habits. I'm looking at WireCutter's guide for car cleaning for casual folks. Any real dumb ideas there? I'm puzzled by the recommendation for NuFinish, which I had the impression was something you'd put on top of a wax, and there's no wax product recommended. I used to use the liquid Turtle Wax on my old Civic.

Story: Got a used car, first modern vehicle in 17 years, so I have something worth giving some borderline-average attention to. This is a 2015 CR-V, has a few scratches, nothing that bothers me. I'm not looking to repeat the obsessive relationship I had with my Camaro a long time ago (Zaino Bros for days). I do intend to drive it forever, but it's a grocery-getter and kid-dropper-offer, make no mistake. I don't have access to a garage, and a carport only about half the time.

I just want to wash and wax it and make the most of my very minimal labors. Sure, I'll clay it if it's a mess, which I won't know until it gets that first wash after the rains are all done raining, but beyond that, it's gonna be wash and wax, maybe that NuFinish stuff. Any fatal mistake I'll be making just pulling Meguier's off the shelf and calling it a day?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

Looking to confirm or alter some old car washing habits. I'm looking at WireCutter's guide for car cleaning for casual folks. Any real dumb ideas there? I'm puzzled by the recommendation for NuFinish, which I had the impression was something you'd put on top of a wax, and there's no wax product recommended. I used to use the liquid Turtle Wax on my old Civic.

:confused: that article recommends Meg's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 :confused:

As far as basic guides go, theirs is fine, but I prefer Larry's blueprint.

Basic car wash: https://www.ammonyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/AMMO_NYC_Basic_Morning_Wash.pdf

Detailing blueprint/master guide:
https://www.ammonyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/AMMO_cleanChart_V3.pdf

edit: As far as wheel cleaning chemical products, I prefer Sonax to the ones on their list.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 9, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have recommendations for glass polish?
My windshield is covered in micropitting, and I'd like to give polishing a shot (also practice) before I replace it anyway.

Here's a closeup. every sparkle you see is a micropit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have recommendations for glass polish?
My windshield is covered in micropitting, and I'd like to give polishing a shot (also practice) before I replace it anyway.

Here's a closeup. every sparkle you see is a micropit.

I had some really severe etched water spots in my Escalade when I bought it. I don't remember the exact product right now (I can look it up later), but it was supposed to be the "best" for polishing glass at the time.

It worked. It took a LOT of work, but it got the etching out. Anything past that won't polish out. Micropits are way too deep to polish out, imo. Polishing may make it better, but won't fix it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you aren't going to be able to polish out micro-pits as they are too deep. Polishing really only works for water etching or some VERY light scratching.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What's the best way to clean my RO pads after use? I just bought a bunch and want to keep them in nice shape.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ThirstyBuck posted:

What's the best way to clean my RO pads after use? I just bought a bunch and want to keep them in nice shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...uys+pad+cleaner

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

New glass from safelite it is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah my 10+ year old windshield has a lot of pitting... I wonder how much a new one will run me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My Canadian 98 Civic is $290 installed @ safelite.
I tried a local place guest and they asked "usdm/jdm or Canadian? Pray it's not Canadian."

Turns out the Loonie version of glass is $450 at the dealer, $350 at Honda parts online, and that's not with install.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I go through a couple of Safelite installed windshields a year because Arizona, but I've noticed the aftermarket glass seems to be much more prone to pitting.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

y'all don't have 0 deductible glass comprehensive insurance?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If it's not state mandated, glass replacement is a comprehensive claim. Which for most people makes it not worth it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

beep-beep car is go posted:

no. mine is part of my comprehensive, which was a $500 deductible. When I got a rock chip on my C5, it was still cheaper than the $1000 windshield, but it would be like $6 a month extra to get $0 comprehensive deductible. You'd pay more over the life of the car than for paying the $500.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

Nope, I'm not in Florida anymore. (Thank God)

The only thing that doesn't count as a claim in NC is chip repair.

Edit:

BlackMK4 posted:

I go through a couple of Safelite installed windshields a year because Arizona, but I've noticed the aftermarket glass seems to be much more prone to pitting.

could always clear bra the new glass.
https://clearplex.com/product/

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what's the general consensus on car dusters these days? Are they ok or just paint scratchers?

With pollen season going on now it would be nice to just dust off all the loving pollen off my cars.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I dunno, but ever car show I've ever been too has a lackey with one and he goes to town. Even on the exotics.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have experience with the other windshield coatings other than rain-x? Are the ceramic window coatings worth the premium?

Larry had mentioned offhand in a older Drive/Clean that rain-x wasn't the best, but his comment seemed mostly directed at the longevity/time between applications vs performance.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have experience with the other windshield coatings other than rain-x? Are the ceramic window coatings worth the premium?

Larry had mentioned offhand in a older Drive/Clean that rain-x wasn't the best, but his comment seemed mostly directed at the longevity/time between applications vs performance.

I really like Aquapel and I can go over a year between applications here in Florida. As a bonus I've had a single application on our glass shower door for over two and it still works great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, but ever car show I've ever been too has a lackey with one and he goes to town. Even on the exotics.

If AHNOLD uses one it's good enough for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Eyyy, you missed a spot!"