Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

gently caress that, my real answer is the next Scream Factory release I'm buying is the Willard remake and I will not settle for anything less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

gently caress that, my real answer is the next Scream Factory release I'm buying is the Willard remake and I will not settle for anything less.

Seriously have you seen Of Unknown Origin?

edit: The trailer, while hilarious, doesn't at all represent the movie or give you an idea of what it's about. The movie is Peter Weller by himself in a brownstone while his family is away going completely loving crazy because he's being tormented by a huge rat. For whatever reason the trailer makes it look like some sort of Poltergeist knockoff complete with a shot of the house looking spooky and glowing which is not even in the movie.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 12, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Flicker Alley has a bunch of stuff coming this year according to the calendar included with Der Hund der Baskervilles (Richard Oswald's 1929 German silent):

The Man Who Laughs (!)
The Last Warning
A Little Princess (Mary Pickford)
3-D Rarities Vol. II
Charley Bowers
Spring Night, Summer Night (formerly lost 60s British film)
Trapped (1949 Richard Fleischer film noir)
The City Without Jews (1924 German silent)
Mother (Pudovkin)
Fragment of an Empire

The Man Who Laughs and The Last Warning are a surprise since it means Flicker Alley is now licensing from Universal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vinegar Syndromes:

Dominique: Jean Simmons returns from the grave to avenge her death, from the director of Logan's Run, Around the World in 80 Days and Orca: The Killer Whale.

In the Cold of the Night: Early 90's Man dreams of murdering women, hangs out with muscle dudes at the beach and holds a CD. Rated NC-17.

The Suckling: The adventures of an aborted mutant sewer baby.
:nws:beware amazing gross image:

:nws:

Fleshpot on 42nd Street: Grimy hardcore flick from the legendary Andy Milligan.
*No screenshots uploaded*
I remember this one from when they used to have a free downloads page. Hopefully it's not cleaned up at all, cause that was a beautifully scratchy print they transferred.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 15, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty psyched for The Suckling

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
24 Hour Party People is finally getting a blu-ray release, due in 4 months.

Here's the US release
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/24-Hour-Party-People-Blu-ray/233296/

UK release
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/24-Hour-Party-People-Blu-ray/186233/

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I will get whichever one carries over the Tony Wilson commentary from the R2 dvd, and I will get it the moment it becomes available to purchase. Love that movie so much, not least because it led me to discover Alan Partridge

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's May releases:
Blue Velvet
One Sings, the Other Doesn't
House of Games (Blu)
The Heiress
Let the Sunshine In
Funny Games

Also, Kino just dated/announced a bunch of big titles:

3/19 - Far From Heaven
3/26 - For a Few Dollars More (new 4K restoration), Road to Singapore, Road to Zanzibar, Road to Morocco, Road to Utopia
4/2 - Green Card
4/16 - Becky Sharp (first 3-strip Technicolor feature), Highway Patrolman, Bend of the River
4/23 - Scream and Scream Again, The Land Unknown, House of the Seven Gables
4/30 - Hannibal (new 4K - also on UHD), Fantomas 1960s Collection, Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 5
5/7 - Brick, Broken Flowers
5/14 - The Landlord
5/21 - Bitter Moon, Nixon
5/28 - The Nun, La Prisonniere, Madame X, Portrait in Black
6/18 - First Name: Carmen, Helas Pour Moi, Detective
8/13 - Blackmail, Murder, Number Seventeen, Alfred Hitchcock: The Early Films (incl. The Ring, The Farmer's Wife, Champagne, The Manxman, The Skin Game, and Rich and Strange)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Funny Games and Blue Velvet are no brainers. House of Games probably too. Haven’t seen it, but it’s David Mamet so it’s a safe bet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

5/7 - Brick, Broken Flowers

loving finally

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Blue Velvet and Funny Games I look forward to.

I have the Code Red release of Scream and Scream Again, it's a pretty good flick, not sure I need another copy though...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The blue velvet Blu Ray is already really good and frequently goes for $6. I can't see myself double dipping for a Criterion release, though I like seeing more Lynch stuff on there, and the Revisited doc in the special features looks pretty great.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

wa27 posted:

The blue velvet Blu Ray is already really good and frequently goes for $6. I can't see myself double dipping for a Criterion release, though I like seeing more Lynch stuff on there, and the Revisited doc in the special features looks pretty great.

I was real close to buying that one in January because I found it in Best Buy’s budget bin. I had a feeling it would be getting a better release soon, so I’m glad to have waited.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is the UHD of Fury Road worth the upgrade if I already have the blu?

Sometimes I really feel like the only person in this thread without a postgraduate film school degree.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If the only think you care about is resolution, it's an upscale from 2k footage. But it's in HDR, which is the real tech upgrade from the past few years. So if you have a 4K player and an HDR capable display, it might be worth it. Ultimately it comes down to if that upgrade for that specific film is worthwhile to you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Fury Road is an interesting example because the HDR actually does change the look of some of the effects, and not necessarily for the better. It's rare to see a UHD where there is actually an argument that it's a downgrade, almost every other release has been at the very least a marginal upgrade.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Will we get Brick and Broken Flowers in the US? I've never been sure about Kino stuff

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Yeah, I've heard people say that it makes the CGI look cartoony, but I'd say it already does on the regular blu.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

RichterIX posted:

Will we get Brick and Broken Flowers in the US? I've never been sure about Kino stuff

Kino is an exclusively US label so probably

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm a loving idiot I guess, all this time I've thought it was a region B label for some reason

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Does anyone know if any of Russ Meyer's stuff is coming to Blu?

I watched Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, today (and loved it) but it looks like I missed the US Blu.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

mallratcal posted:

Does anyone know if any of Russ Meyer's stuff is coming to Blu?

I watched Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, today (and loved it) but it looks like I missed the US Blu.

Highly doubtful. The Russ Meyer Trust (which controls the rights) is notorious for asking incredibly high license fees.

They self produced the Faster Pussycat blu and, while it looked good, it was completely bare bones. Not even a menu.

drat shame because something like Supervixens would look incredible on Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Though, the Criterion Blu of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls included trailers for some of his films.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

drat! I was hoping greedy rights owners wasn't going to be the case.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Russ Meyer Collection on DVD all those years ago.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wonder if Arrow still has the rights to the Russ Meyer films in the UK. Their DVDs were stacked with great features and insane commentary tracks from Meyers.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
:ohdear:

https://mashable.com/article/samsung-wont-sell-blu-ray-players-in-united-states/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:raise:

Is this a sign of the market dying? They're not even just quitting selling Blu-Rays here, they're quitting selling Blu-Ray and UHD players here. 2 formats dying at once seems crazy, but simultaneously it makes a lot of sense. After streaming services got super popular, it was only a matter of time.

The article does say this, though:

quote:

That said, other tech giants appear to be committed to Blu-ray. Both Sony and Panasonic showed off high-end players at CES, so Samsung's exit doesn't necessarily portend the end of your home theater.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:raise:

Is this a sign of the market dying? They're not even just quitting selling Blu-Rays here, they're quitting selling Blu-Ray and UHD players here. 2 formats dying at once seems crazy, but simultaneously it makes a lot of sense. After streaming services got super popular, it was only a matter of time.

The article does say this, though:

I mean, I could see UHD biting it quicker than blu ray. A large install base of physical media since DVD has been reliant on inclusion in consoles, and the switch to 4K support as a part of a generation half step (One X/PS4 Pro, with UHD support confined to the xbox at the moment I think) means that another physical format with a lesser base in a market already decimated by streaming. But blu ray has the niche markets (which are sustainable, if microlabels like VinSyn et al are enough to go by), but that's probably not enough to satisfy an international conglomerate like Samsung.

Doesn't Sony have some patent licensing on Blu? I could see Samsung going more in the direction of supporting streaming and developing proprietary software to be licensed for smart TV's (which also allows them to have all that tasty customer data, which is probably a much more valuable commodity than patents in this dystopic future hellscape)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope UHD doesn't die off quick. Between having a data cap on my internet, some movies (Disney) don't have 4K options on itunes, and the fact movies can just ranomly be removed from itunes and replaced with a pity rental makes me just rather stick with physical media. Plus I just like owning the movies still, as when I bought a bunch of movies last year using the Vudu disc to digital feature, it didn't feel all that special when compared to physically buying the movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Best Buy dedicates a pretty large portion of their physical movie space to 4K.

The target audience for the format is not the people who are going to go for streaming. If anything, it will be like laserdisc - a niche product that's the best quality around.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Best Buy dedicates a pretty large portion of their physical movie space to 4K.

The target audience for the format is not the people who are going to go for streaming. If anything, it will be like laserdisc - a niche product that's the best quality around.

Maybe your local Best Buy. The one near me has a total of one aisle dedicated to movies (which includes DVDs, Blu-ray and 4k), down from 10 or so aisles a decade ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uhd comes with region free and hdr so I hope it keeps going especially for newer movies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nihonniboku posted:

Maybe your local Best Buy. The one near me has a total of one aisle dedicated to movies (which includes DVDs, Blu-ray and 4k), down from 10 or so aisles a decade ago.

Well, my local one has maybe 5 or 6 aisles dedicated to movies. It's a pretty small selection. But what I'm saying is that it sells well enough for Best Buy to still dedicate a portion of their limited shelf-space to it. If UHD wasn't doing well, you wouldn't see it in Target or Best Buy this long after the format came out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's about Sony for me, because they have Dolby Vision, so as long as they're still selling players I'm good. And that article said they just showed off a new model at some show recently so they're sticking with it at least for now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, my local one has maybe 5 or 6 aisles dedicated to movies. It's a pretty small selection. But what I'm saying is that it sells well enough for Best Buy to still dedicate a portion of their limited shelf-space to it. If UHD wasn't doing well, you wouldn't see it in Target or Best Buy this long after the format came out.

The Best Buy in my area has a sad little corner of the store devoted to movies the vast majority of which are based on comic books.

Side note: Netflix streaming's library is total garbage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Side note: Netflix streaming's library is total garbage.
It's real hit or miss. Sometimes they'll have titles on there that are legitimately great, but you might have to go digging for them because there's a lot of trash on there too. And unfortunately it's not stable, with titles frequently getting removed and swapped out for different ones.

There's also good content on HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. But with the way things work, there is no one streaming service that lets you watch everything and that blows.

Amassing a giant Blu-Ray collection is pretty much the only way to get close to having everything you want to watch at your disposal, but even then, a lot of titles have never been released on Blu-Ray so you'd still have an incomplete collection no matter how much you spent on it.

It's not like DVD where literally everything was released on that format.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I, Butthole posted:

Doesn't Sony have some patent licensing on Blu? I could see Samsung going more in the direction of supporting streaming and developing proprietary software to be licensed for smart TV's (which also allows them to have all that tasty customer data, which is probably a much more valuable commodity than patents in this dystopic future hellscape)

Sony developed the Blu Ray, it's their baby

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

Sony developed the Blu Ray, it's their baby

And yet, no UHD Blu-ray on any PS4 hardware

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wal Mart has a bunch of $5 blu rays now. I managed to fish The Magnificent Seven and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid out of the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheScott2K posted:

And yet, no UHD Blu-ray on any PS4 hardware
Yeah, UHD came out before the PS4 Pro did but Sony didn't swap the Blu-Ray drive out for a UHD one. But then the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X both have UHD drives :thunk: