Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vote for me, I'm gonna build a big beautiful train from Seattle to San Diego and make Jeff Bezos pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It’s me, the one who would rather sit on a train for 10 hours than deal with an airport.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s me, the one who would rather sit on a train for 10 hours than deal with an airport.

Anyone in their right mind who has used the few good trains we have in the US or traveled to Europe or Asia would be willing to do that. On the train you get comfortable seats, can walk around, go hang out in the bar/dining car, etc. as you zip by the countryside at a relaxing 100-200mph, plus you know leaving from and arriving in the city center. gently caress yeah it's great.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1096521856222486528?s=20

:gritin:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 16, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He was talking about driving though. gently caress driving for 10 hours.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

psydude posted:

He was talking about driving though. gently caress driving for 10 hours.

Oh.

No I’d rather do that than fly.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Last year I opted to spend 20 hours on a train to Florida rather than take a 4 hour flight. Granted, it was a sleeper car, but it was actually kind of enjoyable.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I have to travel to Europe for work a couple times a year, usually. If I can't get a direct flight to wherever I'm going, I absolutely fly into the main airport then take a train to my actual destination instead of taking a connecting flight. SO much more relaxing, quieter, and way less cramped.

Though France is kind of a bad example, most everything radiates out from Paris. German trains are where it's at, IME. Way better network between smaller areas.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I absolutely wouldn't spend 20 hours on a train unless I was on vacation taking one of those big sky territory trains that are like a seven day trip.

Maybe my tolerance for flying makes up for my intolerance for driving or being in a car in general.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's been a while since I took a train but my memory of it was roughly like riding coach on an airplane. It's not like they give you a cabin to hang out in.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah but Vas aren’t you like 5’9?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yes, I'm the height that everything in the consumer world was designed for.

I get how uncomfortable it is for taller dudes, but dang just get it over with IMO. Spending double the amount of time seems excessive, but whatever I guess.

Fallom posted:

It's been a while since I took a train but my memory of it was roughly like riding coach on an airplane. It's not like they give you a cabin to hang out in.

Amtrak non-business class non-Acela trains have about as much room as a coach plane from like the 1990s. So like, 20% more than coach planes now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Fallom posted:

A ten hour drive is like an hour and a half flight though

I don’t like coach either but man I can suck it up for that long

gently caress coach

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh.

No I’d rather do that than fly.

My job has me driving 50 hours a week without being a semi driver and i will still drive 18 hours in a day instead of flying.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Fallom posted:

A ten hour drive is like an hour and a half flight though

I don’t like coach either but man I can suck it up for that long

Oh you can afford direct flights?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think flying is fun. Even in peasant class! Although I only do it once every couple years so that helps.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Vasudus posted:

I absolutely wouldn't spend 20 hours on a train unless I was on vacation taking one of those big sky territory trains that are like a seven day trip.

Maybe my tolerance for flying makes up for my intolerance for driving or being in a car in general.

Canada has a really nice week+ long train ride that goes from coast to coast. It's supposed to be absolutely beautiful, especially out west

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Flying just gives me incredible anxiety because I start stressing about "what if there is a hydraulic failure and we crash right after takeoff" and just am in a state of white knuckle panic the whole time and it loving blows. I used to be able to sleep the whole way :(

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Oh you can afford direct flights?

Tbh it's pretty easy if you live near a major airline hub.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I fall asleep like instantly on a flight. Maybe it's the calm that comes in knowing that if there was a mid-air disaster I'm 100% turbofucked and there is no god so might as well just get some shuteye.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm usually fine flying coach since I'm a hobbit but long flights are still annoying for having to sit for so long in one lovely seat. I'm flying from Chicago->Paris->Casablanca next week, that'll be fun. At least it's not the nearly 24 hour military contract flight from Kuwait to Fort Bliss.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I absolutely cannot sleep in an upright position. Also, I'm 6'2". International flights are 12-20 hours of pure misery.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Vasudus posted:

I fall asleep like instantly on a flight. Maybe it's the calm that comes in knowing that if there was a mid-air disaster I'm 100% turbofucked and there is no god so might as well just get some shuteye.

Same, although I enjoy the turbulence since it makes people get anxiety. 5'9" crew checking in

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/02/amazon-hq2-queens-long-island-city-condo-rent-real-estate/582847/

quote:

Lauren Bennett, a Corcoran broker who sold five units in Long Island City after the news of Amazon’s arrival, would say whether their HQ2-connected clients had expressed any buyer’s remorse. One unit in Bennett’s portfolio—a three-bedroom condo on 51st Avenue that had languished on the market for eight months without an offer—became the object of a bidding war after the mere rumor of Amazon’s move to Queens. The New York Post reported that the winning bid was $300,000 over the initial offer and above the $1.49 million asking price. (Bennett declined to answer questions about the status of this sale or others.)

:f5h:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm usually fine flying coach since I'm a hobbit but long flights are still annoying for having to sit for so long in one lovely seat. I'm flying from Chicago->Paris->Casablanca next week, that'll be fun. At least it's not the nearly 24 hour military contract flight from Kuwait to Fort Bliss.

I did MIA-PARIS-MARRAKECH and wanted to die I'll pray for you

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

just fly business class, bing bing bong so simple

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
lmao if you share your plane with anyone but your pilot

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

lmbo if you don't fly your private plane into the ocean like a Kennedy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

2153:26 CVR [sound of click, similar to soda can opening]

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Same, although I enjoy the turbulence since it makes people get anxiety. 5'9" crew checking in

I kinda don't like flying, on account of being 6'1". I am, however, one of those weirdos that enjoys turbulence. It's like being on a roller coaster.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So India and Pakistan have been having their own pissing match lately

https://www.businessinsider.in/indi...ow/68017321.cms

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm gonna do the train just to experience it and take the scenic route for a change vs flying. Lol if you are too good to fly coach lmao.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'm only 5'9", but yes, European trains really are WAY more comfortable than all but business class flying. There's way less noise, you can get up and walk around comfortably, the seats are bigger, the train rocks gently while it's moving, you can see pretty landscapes sliding by. Not to mention they're usually not as full as a plane. And of course not having to deal with security lines.

If you can get on a plane, zonk out, and wake up it doesn't matter I guess, but otherwise train is better (IMO) even without you being especially large.

Generally I'd go train so long as it isn't more than 50% more time (door to door, including how early I'd have to get to the airport and how long it's take to taxi and grab luggage) than a flight, as a guess.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 16, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Lot of people with a weird hatred of flying itt

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I think its airport security that they hate tbqh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

quote:

2215:03
CAM-1
aw #. we're gonna hit houses dude.
2215:05
CAS
whoop whoop pull up.
2215:06
CAM
[sound similar to impacts]
2215:07
END OF TRANSCRIPT
END OF RECORDING

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Viva Miriya posted:

I guess that's fair but I've never had a problem

I realize part of that is "average white guy #3075"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I made the mistake of surprising my wife last Valentines day by flying home for a show, from CO-PA. I flew Spirit to save money.
I'm 6'3" without a single joint in my leg that isn't hosed up in some way. I hated flying before, but gently caress, that was like torture.
Instead of flying home for Spring Break, I drove the 30 hours, because at least I can look at poo poo, stretch and piss when I want to. I prefer driving as a general rule, but sometimes, you gotta fly.
Like in 3 weeks when my wife and I decided to go to Vegas and get remarried in tacky ways- Elvis, Drag Queens, and Denny's.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Viva Miriya posted:

Exactly. The travel time might be shorter on a plane, but what trains have going for them is they don't have significant travel to or dwell time at the point of arrival/departure. Usually I show up at a train station like 15-20 minutes before my train, contrast that with flying where you have to leave the city center, which depending where you are is a fairly significant/lengthy journey and then have to go through check-in, security, etc. Trains avoid all of that garbage while offering a much more comfortable experience.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Its weird to not hate flying.

Viva Miriya posted:

I make them give me a full patdown every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

heh, I wound up reading through that entire transcript because of the soda click comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701