Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Performance post:

Passed over 2.2.4, playing with the beta patch and the performance somehow seems even worse? It feels like the game is as slow in the 2220s as it was in 2270 on 2.2.3. I may be imagining it, but the game really seems unplayable to me now, going into 2040 and 2050.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Civics getting a revamp to create some incredibly asymmetric gameplay would make me very very happy.

When this is the case, this game is at its best. It's like getting to play a totally new game.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is mechanist good? It seems like having parallel robot and organic growth at the start with the ability to tailor organic pops to be good at non mining/food jobs is pretty great ( 2.2.4) Is the robot energy upkeep that bad? Does the slaver guilds civic effect robots from mechanist?

How much of a gimmick can you build enslavers of robots around.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah a different Civic would be cool too.

edit: Hell, a racial trait about "Natural pilots" or something that gives ships and Fightercraft a speed boost and some other bonuses.

I've got my own little tweak mod, and Natural Pilots was almost the first extra trait I added. I've got it adding evasion and sublight speed though, since strike craft aren't worth using at the moment.

It functions on the basis of whether you have any of the relevant pops in your empire, presuming you will put them into pilot roles. Likewise for gunners/navigators etc.

It was one of the traits I really liked in Moo2, you could go all in on dodge/aim etc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Saros posted:

Is mechanist good? It seems like having parallel robot and organic growth at the start with the ability to tailor organic pops to be good at non mining/food jobs is pretty great ( 2.2.4) Is the robot energy upkeep that bad? Does the slaver guilds civic effect robots from mechanist?

It gives you a massive head start, and it also doubles the weighting for droid and synthetic techs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duelists should be Warrior Poets

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Mechanical Ape posted:

One of the race options should be "bicycle"

Declare war with the "I want to ride my bicycle" casus belli.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Saros posted:

Mechanist is a great starting civic, and I think it's one of the better ones. It takes several years to create each robot, but it's still an extra pop every couple of years.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is Nihilistic Acquisition a good unity pick for a devouring swarm? Will I just grab a bunch of dudes and then eat them?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GamingHyena posted:

Is Nihilistic Acquisition a good unity pick for a devouring swarm? Will I just grab a bunch of dudes and then eat them?

I picked it up as the intro for my Assimilators game and hoooooly gently caress is it hilarious. Basically yes, and yes!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So machine empires are strong as gently caress in 2.2.5, it's kinda nuts.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

PittTheElder posted:

Can confirm. I'm terrible at this game and my DA empire shows everyone as Pathetic except for the Fallen Empires by 2280.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Anyone else have a bug where you'll go talk to the artisans and a bit later they'll give you an art monument with the dialogue as if you'd just bought it from them?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Moregard on the official foruns posted:

Sectors are a larger task that is a big too big to tackle right now, with a lot of other fixes being done, but I do want you to know I have sectors as one of my highest priorities going forwards. We will probably not be going back to manual sector management, but we will definitely be looking into how to make the automatic assignment better, while also making sure that resource management and AI development works better. We will probably make a dev diary about our plans for the Sectors in the future, so that we can share our thoughts before committing to anything.

This is positive, although I'd really like something that reduced the slog of managing 50 worlds manually sooner rather than later. Even something that just let me set up a simple series of commands on unemployed pop would be great.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I encountered a bug where I periodically get messages that slaves have been sold successfully and I get energy credits. But my empire is Fanatic Egalitarian, all my pops live in Utopian Abundance, and trying to open the slave market screen has the sell button greyed out since I don't sell slaves, but also grinds my machine to a halt, massive frame drops until I can coax the game into closing the slave market window.

This is a new development since I was using the slave market to buy new citizens every so often just fine up until that point.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 16, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psykmoe posted:

I encountered a bug where I periodically get messages that slaves have been sold successfully and I get energy credits. But my empire is Fanatic Egalitarian, all my pops live in Utopian Abundance, and trying to open the slave market screen has the sell button greyed out since I don't sell slaves, but also grinds my machine to a halt, massive frame drops until I can coax the game into closing the slave market window.

This is a new development since I was using the slave market to buy new citizens every so often just fine up until that point.
Which version are you on?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

PittTheElder posted:

Yea, turns out getting +1 base population growth is pretty insane. Basically an extra job got pushed up each tier of the main building. Also getting +1 all research for unity workers instead of +3 green is really good. Those combined with their above average traits+civics (in terms of strength if not how interesting they are) makes them pretty insane.

I think the answer is to increase base growth for organics, and maybe have some sort of way for normal empires to specialize unity research output (I'd love to be able to choose between +3 green, +1 all, +2 blue +1 green, or +1 green +2 yellow).

GamingHyena posted:

I think the best part of NA is when you're unable to actually take planets (or don't want to) you're still able to significantly weaken your opponent. In terms of unity output I'm not sure how great it is, but in terms of letting you crush someone it can be quite good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

Yea, turns out getting +1 base population growth is pretty insane. Basically an extra job got pushed up each tier of the main building. Also getting +1 all research for unity workers instead of +3 green is really good. Those combined with their above average traits+civics (in terms of strength if not how interesting they are) makes them pretty insane.
The +1 to all sciences and lack of clinics really shakes up my research. Society is no longer lapping engineering by mid game, it's quite refreshing.

ZypherIM posted:

I think the answer is to increase base growth for organics, and maybe have some sort of way for normal empires to specialize unity research output (I'd love to be able to choose between +3 green, +1 all, +2 blue +1 green, or +1 green +2 yellow).
I'd like more things to make incidental science. I don't have a problem with healthcare and patriotic monuments generating society research for normal empires, I just wish there were other things that generated engineering research. Then how well you do at what sciences evolves organically by what kind of stuff you build.

e: As in, if space makes a lot of Physics, and manufacturing buildings make a lot of Engineering, and pop management buildings make a lot of society, then you end up falling into certain archetypes depending on how you play.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 16, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is anyone aware of a mod that forces systems to spawn more/better resources? I'm getting *really* fed up with systems that only have one deposit with a 2 value. I started a new game, I have explored 17 systems with Map the Stars active. I have found 7 Anomalies, zero of which grant additional resources. I have 12 (!) systems that have no more than 4 total deposit value; the majority are 1 energy deposit valued at 2. I dont have a single system with total deposit value over 7. It is infuriating because I can see that a neighbor has dozens of resources across his five claimed systems; this AI has over two dozen science from space deposits while I have a whopping two total!

That or a mod that reduces the effect of additional systems of my empire sprawl so I dont have this ugly patchwork of an empire as I cherrypick the not-total-poo poo systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 16, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish democracies would just magic up candidates like imperials get heirs instead of this horrible and dumb mess of resigning leaders every 10 or 20 years. Almost done with a very hard anomaly? gently caress you they got elected and all progress is reset lol. :argh:

Is anyone aware of a mod that forces systems to spawn more/better resources? I'm getting *really* fed up with systems that only have one deposit with a 2 value. I started a new game, I have explored 17 systems with Map the Stars active. I have found 7 Anomalies, zero of which grant additional resources. I have 12 (!) systems that have no more than 4 total deposit value; the majority are 1 energy deposit valued at 2. I dont have a single system with total deposit value over 7. It is infuriating because I can see that a neighbor has dozens of resources across his five claimed systems; this AI has over two dozen science from space deposits while I have a whopping two total!

That or a mod that reduces the effect of additional systems of my empire sprawl so I dont have this ugly patchwork of an empire as I cherrypick the not-total-poo poo systems.
Sounds like something that could be solved by a... *drumroll* slider during game setup.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Guilliman's planets mod is the closest thing I can think of to this.

Poil posted:

I really wish democracies would just magic up candidates like imperials get heirs instead of this horrible and dumb mess of resigning leaders every 10 or 20 years. Almost done with a very hard anomaly? gently caress you they got elected and all progress is reset lol. :argh:

Agree, this is why I don't play democracies. My leaders are busy doing stuff. I don't want to have to spend a bunch of influence to prevent an important scientist from becoming president.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Which version are you on?

Ah yeah, should have mentioned. This started happening after I switched to the Stellaris_test branch. 2.2.5

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Bold Robot posted:

Agree, this is why I don't play democracies. My leaders are busy doing stuff. I don't want to have to spend a bunch of influence to prevent an important scientist from becoming president.

Also agreed. And to piggyback off this, you really should be able to guarantee the results of an election if you tamper with it enough. Then maybe Shadow Council would actually be worth something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I dont have a single system with total deposit value over 7. It is infuriating because I can see that a neighbor has dozens of resources across his five claimed systems; this AI has over two dozen science from space deposits while I have a whopping two total!

I'm quite certain this is an AI difficulty thing, I think they get some bonuses to resource discovery or just better systems spawned around them, because as you say it's routine to see this on higher difficulty levels. It's annoying, but a really good reason to knock over your neighbors and taking their systems.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I'm quite certain this is an AI difficulty thing, I think they get some bonuses to resource discovery or just better systems spawned around them, because as you say it's routine to see this on higher difficulty levels. It's annoying, but a really good reason to knock over your neighbors and taking their systems.

Yea the AI bonus to resources is shown on the galaxy map. Also note that your own +mining station bonuses are also shown.

Sometimes there are low value systems, but I haven't really had issues with just tons of crap systems in my immediate vicinity personally.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Prioritizing the Map The Stars edict and pushing out three to five research ships to survey consistently throughout that initial period really helps center those anomalies around your starting systems.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Kaal posted:

Prioritizing the Map The Stars edict and pushing out three to five research ships to survey consistently throughout that initial period really helps center those anomalies around your starting systems.

1 extra ship is going to get you the majority of your space if you've got high density amounts of opponents. Getting more is only useful if you're playing with under like .. 50-60% of the number of empires possible for your map size. Just remember that you don't need to research anomalies right away, and you can sweep back through after MTS wears off.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Sometimes there are low value systems, but I haven't really had issues with just tons of crap systems in my immediate vicinity personally.
I'll have to take a screenshot next time it happens to me because every single game I start I have huge swaths of space that are a single 2 energy deposit with nothing else, and no anomalies even with Map The Stars going. Last game I had 7 of them all in a cluster.

I've decided that I am going to make a mod that guarantees each system has at least two deposits OR makes sure certain things, such as Asteroid Belts and Gas Giants, always have something, which would decrease the odds of having a poo poo-deposit system but not force every system to be rich.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Kaal posted:

Yeah I always enact "Map the Stars" at the first part of the game at least once when I get my 3rd or so science vessel. If there are no empires around me by the time it expires, I'll enact it a second time around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

Yea the AI bonus to resources is shown on the galaxy map. Also note that your own +mining station bonuses are also shown.
You can see this real good with the new machine empire buff. Start as a ME, look at the resources in an unclaimed system, then take the system. Bamf, all the numbers jump up instantly.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Playing (another) commonwealth of man run and i captured Sol. They should have some flavor text for that!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Bold Robot posted:

Guilliman's planets mod is the closest thing I can think of to this.

Not my mod doing it.
This is my mod's resource spread:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is War in Heaven a battle to the death?
It's been going on for over 100 years and one of the awakened empires is almost consumed by the Scourge, but they still just have 10% war exhaustion. For some reason, some planets get a population purge of 35%/mo and others just 5%, so it takes forever.

I'm the leader of the non-aligned faction so I'm at war with basically everything. The scourge can't eat these jerks fast enough.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
When you become the third faction in a War In Heaven, are you the same priority target as each awakened empire, or are you somehow considered a "lesser" threat? The only time War In Heaven pops I'm somehow right next to one of the empires involved and feel like I absolutely have to submit to them or get my rear end shredded in twain.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

When you become the third faction in a War In Heaven, are you the same priority target as each awakened empire, or are you somehow considered a "lesser" threat? The only time War In Heaven pops I'm somehow right next to one of the empires involved and feel like I absolutely have to submit to them or get my rear end shredded in twain.

I was nowhere near either of them, but most of my federation "allies" immediately deserted me to join one of them. By the time I had to deal with them directly, I was in a stronger position.
As I'm posting, the awakened empire that is still powerful just destroyed 3 habitable planets (inc one of mine), so between them and the scourge, we're going to have a pretty barren galaxy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guilliman posted:

Not my mod doing it.

My god, I never see galaxies that rich with space deposits.,..

I've never made a mod before, would you mind if i PM you a question or two that I know I'll have the next time I'm working on it?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Guilliman posted:

Not my mod doing it.

No, I meant that if he wants a mod to make the galaxy have more resources, your mod is his best bet. It’s a great mod and I’m not trying to disparage it, I think everyone should try it.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Playing the beta branch 2.2.5, I just finished The Flesh is Weak to turn all my guys into cyborgs - not full on Synths yet, just cyborgs.

Every pop in my empire immediately stopped working as though they were being forcibly cyberized after the fact, which does make pops produce nothing, but I didn't expect the free, empire-wide conversion through Flesh is Weak to nuke my economy as well. I don't remember that happening last time I went the cyborg direction.

After a few planets popped the Unemployment problem with increased benefit costs or crime, pops started working again ... but when there must have gone something wrong with job distribution because now every one of my planets has like 10 open menial jobs and the same number of specialists waiting around unemployed - and I built up my planets slowly to prevent this, and my robots have full citizen rights so I have no pops that would only be good for menial jobs for example. My jobs were fine and now they're a mess.

So my economy is still a shambles but no longer totally dead. Wish I already had that Prosperity tradition that speeds up citizen demotion, but I picked another one in Prosperity only months before :smith:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 17, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Psykmoe posted:

Playing the beta branch 2.2.5, I just finished The Flesh is Weak to turn all my guys into cyborgs - not full on Synths yet, just cyborgs.

Every pop in my empire immediately stopped working as though they were being forcibly cyberized after the fact, which does make pops produce nothing, but I didn't expect the free, empire-wide conversion through Flesh is Weak to nuke my economy as well. I don't remember that happening last time I went the cyborg direction.

Huh, that didn’t happen to me on the last 2.2 game I played. Did you have a lot of different species - I wonder if it only converted your primary and then left all the others on Assimilation by default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Huh, that didn’t happen to me on the last 2.2 game I played. Did you have a lot of different species - I wonder if it only converted your primary and then left all the others on Assimilation by default?

I wondered about that, but it instantly turned all pops in my empire into cyborgs regardless of species. On top of that, the game doesn't actually default to Assimilation for new migrants, you have to manually decree that all new citizens go under the knife to get cyborg implants by adjusting Rights for the various species.

I didn't have this problem when I was playing 2.2.3 a while ago.