Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Best fuckin' show right here

There's a special place in heaven for peoples what loves Letterkenny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

And their Valentimes' Day episode is up on hulu now!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

the escape goat posted:

And their Valentimes' Day episode is up on hulu now!

I ain't no poopypants about holidays but Letterkenny special holiday episodes have honestly turned into my favorite once a year treat.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I am dumbstruck at how Hannibal is able to escape arrest in Season 2. I mean...come on man!

edit: for spoilers.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 16, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TV Zombie posted:

I am dumbstruck at how Hannibal is able to escape arrest in Season 2. With the exception of the main character who is in the asylum, no one seems to want to believe that Hannibal could do what he's been accused of doing and even when his psychologist or the head of the asylum suspect something, they don't go the authorities at all which is maddening.
come on man, spoilers

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bowmore posted:

come on man, spoilers

Dude, it was like 5 years ago.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

Dude, it was like 5 years ago.
there so much media that people don't get around to poo poo

I literally started Hannibal yesterday lmao

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yes, but there's a point where you just have to be okay with casual spoiling. No one's going to put "Darth Vader is Luke's father" in spoiler tags, as a hyperbolic example.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bowmore posted:

there so much media that people don't get around to poo poo

I literally started Hannibal yesterday lmao

You roll the dice in couch chat, most of anyone who would be interested in it watched it years ago. It sucks when it happens to you though. Bad luck homeslice.

e: this doesn't smell like couch chat. Even more bad luck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lycus posted:

Yes, but there's a point where you just have to be okay with casual spoiling. No one's going to put "Darth Vader is Luke's father" in spoiler tags, as a hyperbolic example.
That was like 39 years ago

Rocksicles posted:

You roll the dice in couch chat, most of anyone who would be interested in it watched it years ago. It sucks when it happens to you though. Badluck homeslice.
yeah true

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bowmore posted:

That was like 39 years ago

That's exactly why I said it's a hyperbolic example.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's so incredibly easy to just put poo poo in spoiler tags though. It takes like two seconds

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

101 posted:

It's so incredibly easy to just put poo poo in spoiler tags though. It takes like two seconds
I have no bad blood against people who post spoilers of old stuff but if they spoiler tag it i'm still very appreciative

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I edited the original post. Are spoilers always in effect for this thread? I just wanted to blurt out what was on my mind since I had just finished some episodes of season 2. That aspect of the show seemed frustrating.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TV Zombie posted:

I edited the original post. Are spoilers always in effect for this thread? I just wanted to blurt out what was on my mind since I had just finished some episodes of season 2. That aspect of the show seemed frustrating.
You're cool, no worries

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I did not expect the Letterkenny Valentine’s Day special, of all things, to put me in the mood for some baseball.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

You're cool, no worries

You should also probably edit out the spoilers in your original post then if you care that much lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just watched the first ep of Ozark and it seems cool if a touch over-dramatic. Like, has anybody heard of turning the lights on in this universe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha the lighting issues only get worse. it’s a very self-serious show most of the time

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I remember somebody in TVIV describing 'Ozark' as so bleak that it almost seems like it could be a parody of your average prestige drama.

I really liked it though: the setting was unique, the cast was rock-solid, and it was fun to watch Marty try to bullshit his way out of situations that were largely over his head.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've only seen 2 episodes of Ozarks, but it basically seemed like this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

but for money laundering

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah nothing anywhere near that exciting ever happens in Ozark

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I paid for Suits season 8 and I've been trying to binge through it but jesus, it's SO bad. It wasn't great when they still had Mike, especially with all that "The Donna" bullshit, but this is just painful to watch. Like, we get it already, the men are all fragile flawed people and their secretaries are omniscient and can get them through everything.

I've started fast forwarding through every therapy session each character has (and there are a lot), but it's not helping. I really do not care about their mental well being, they are all awful people and poorly written characters, just do some shady court stuff like you did when the show was actually about being unethical lawyers instead of "boohoo I am the managing partner of a law firm and am incredibly rich, but harvey doesn't looove me" over and over and over.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Should probably be posting this in ADTRW but eh. I just finally got through Space Dandy and it was... okay. Perfectly adequate science fiction/humor/parody but I still got bored with some episodes. Definitely didn't seem to live up to the hype that it was "amazing" but it wasn't terrible either, I can't quite put my finger on why I wasn't floored with it. Perhaps I'm just jaded as gently caress or finally grew up. Certainly was super stylish visuals and good music though. Between this and Samurai Champloo it's just feels like extra proof that Cowboy Bebop was lightning in a bottle though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Umbrella Academy. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was this far from being truly great. There were just a lot of plot "twists" that were easy to see coming from miles away, and a few glaring instances of characters making very dumb decisions just to move the plot forward. All in all very much worth watching, but not as amazing as I feel it could have been.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

I just finished Umbrella Academy. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was this far from being truly great. There were just a lot of plot "twists" that were easy to see coming from miles away, and a few glaring instances of characters making very dumb decisions just to move the plot forward. All in all very much worth watching, but not as amazing as I feel it could have been.

Just finished this as well. The biggest pair of 'twists' was obvious from the first or second episode and the dialogue is written with exactly the finesse you would expect from a comic book adaptation. The pacing is hosed—in a ten episode season, there must be four or five episodes worth of wheel-spinning—and it makes copious use of that hack TV writer contrivance where the plot is arrested because none of the characters tell each-other anything until it's time for the next beat. Still, most of the effects are petty good (except for that awful muscle suit) and it's an entertaining enough watch as long as you aren't giving it your full attention.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Wallet posted:

it makes copious use of that hack TV writer contrivance where the plot is arrested because none of the characters tell each-other anything until it's time for the next beat.

This.

Umbrella Academy has a really cool retro (whatever you call it) art direction. And Robert Sheehan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wallet posted:

Just finished this as well. The biggest pair of 'twists' was obvious from the first or second episode and the dialogue is written with exactly the finesse you would expect from a comic book adaptation. The pacing is hosed—in a ten episode season, there must be four or five episodes worth of wheel-spinning—and it makes copious use of that hack TV writer contrivance where the plot is arrested because none of the characters tell each-other anything until it's time for the next beat. Still, most of the effects are petty good (except for that awful muscle suit) and it's an entertaining enough watch as long as you aren't giving it your full attention.
Aside from the fact that the show could have been half as long with the amount of stuff that actually happens, the main plot could quite possible have been averted completely by the characters simply talking to each other in a normal fashion instead of being stupid.

It's still much better than the Netflix Marvel stuff though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I liked the UA filler because I liked spending time with the characters. Of course I was hooked from the Tiffany dance off so it was speaking my language from the jump.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You kinda think it's gonna be comedy at the start, but the quirk goes way down after the first episode or so. It seems Klaus is completely done as comedy relief character after he time travels.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 19, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ending to UA ep 6 made me about as angry as television ever has. What a goddamn waste of time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have my criticisms of Umbrella Academy but I wasn't bothered at all by them not talking to each other. Like the entire show is established on the fact that they're all broken people who basically hate and resent each other and haven't spoken in years. The only people even remotely trying to communicate or fix poo poo are Alison and Vanya. So like it makes sense that that it takes a few episodes for Diego to realize that The Boy he's looking for in the police investigation is Five or something like that because it makes total sense that they're not talking to each other based on their characters. Why WOULD they start talking and trusting each other now?

I think the one thing along those lines that did kind of bother me is when I realized that Five being shot and Diego being arrested literally only happened so Alison could end up alone with Vanya and neither of those things mattered at all an episode later. That was pretty hacky.

I really liked Klaus, but his humor is always established as being dark and tragic. Like even before the big thing that changes his path I thought it was pretty clear that he was an addict to numb himself because he spent his entire life being haunted by ghosts and death and tragedy including his own brother.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Umbrella Academy ending: I was actually liking the "save the world via deafening the antagonist" resolution, but then they had to close out with another time travel-based reset button. One of the reasons why I prefer closed-loop time travel is that that's impossible.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 19, 2019

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Just finished with episode two of Future Man on Hulu. I lost it when Josh was doing the Soulja Boy Dance at the party.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Finished Umbrella Academy without reading the posts above because I wanted to go in fresh. Good art direction, especially music wise, with some good acting. The plot was padded with a whole lot of boring and unnecessary bits. Most of the writing - characters, developement, revelations - was insanely lazy, even outright bad.

It was entertaining enough but not something I would recommend to others.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Started Friday Night Lights. Anything I should know?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah season 2 has some unfortunate missteps but they do a reboot in season 3 that ignores 99% of it. Michael B Jordan stars in seasons 4/5 and they are great.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 23, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah season 2 has some unfortunate missteps but they do a reboot in season 3 that ignores 99% of it.

I don't know who I am supposed to root for, to be honest, except maybe Jason. Everyone else is a complete shitwad of a human being.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Started Friday Night Lights. Anything I should know?
it's good, enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why the hell did UA need a goddamn sibling romance? Blood related or no, it’s still super uncomfortable and poorly paced regardless. I could see the writers teasing with it early on, but I really hoped it was just doing a bad job of showing one relationship among the siblings that was on good terms. But nah, it’s romantic. I’m sure it’s in the comics to a degree, but tossing out poo poo like that should be top priority for a mainstream adaptation.

Also, the family being dysfunctional is one thing, but the final episode is basically “How Luther Ushers in the Apocalypse”. Maybe if it was showing how Luther being the one sibling still eating up dad’s bullshit was leading him to make the exact same mistakes, but by this point he’s already seen his father for the very flawed person he was.