Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This game has been surprisingly diverse in it's post apocalyptic environments so far. Like yes obviously it's not all subway tunnels and frozen city ruins but I've gone from a bit of the traditional metro experience, to half sunk Volga and it's local flavor, to underground bunker filled with crazed ghoulmen, and now I appear to have stumbled across the Fury Road.

I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Having never played any of the previous entries, having fun with this one so far! I am partway through the river/half melted area (not sure what to call it)

So I assume how it works is you can carry 2 primary weapons and then a heavy weapon? I can't seem to switch out the BB gun.

Also wasn't prepared for the ammo scarcity the game has, had to use the BB gun through this whole complex filled with mutants and it was dark and scary and I had no ammo and it was all very terrifying :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enjoying it so far but the controls on console feel a little rough. I don't remember that being the case in the previous games? Maybe I'm just pickier now than I was the last time I played the series.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

veni veni veni posted:

Enjoying it so far but the controls on console feel a little rough. I don't remember that being the case in the previous games? Maybe I'm just pickier now than I was the last time I played the series.

I turned the auto aim dial down to 1. I found the auto aim loving with my actual aim super bad until I turned it down. Maybe give that a try.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Aw nuts, there's a spider level.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just buzzed through Last Light over the past couple of weekends to get prepped for Exodus, so I'm ready.

I'm glad I grabbed a Steam copy before they pulled the pre-orders. I never ever pre-order games but I really did not want to lose out on Steam for a whole year. I'm setting a bad example, I know.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I just bought it for $10 less on the epic store and then launch the exe through steam like every other game with a launcher I don't want to deal with. Is there something else about getting it on steam I'm missing?

veni veni veni posted:

Metro controls are always pretty bad on controllers-- the deadzone is huge

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mellowjournalism posted:

I just bought it for $10 less on the epic store and then launch the exe through steam like every other game with a launcher I don't want to deal with. Is there something else about getting it on steam I'm missing?

It's probably a discussion better presented in another thread, but I believe that a significant portion of the world wasn't saving any money through the Epic store, many areas were actually paying more for the game once it moved to the Epic Store (and some areas were no longer able to even buy it after the game was pulled from Steam). I think the U.S. was one of the only places where people saved US$10 buying it from the Epic store.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 16, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Caidin posted:

Awwww shiiiiieeeeeet

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lol due to not being on Steam I almost forgot this existed and came out :D

*downloading*

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh dear, game locks up after the (stupidly long??) intro video with no solution in sight. My bad, I should have waited until some patches came out. Ah well, it'll be nice to have just sitting there. I like 4A Games and want them to keep on truckin'

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've bought all the previous games as I am a sucker for post apocalyptic Russian stories. Also played the Stalker games, and watched the movie, of course. Still need to read the novel some day.

I don't care what anyone else says, I love this game. Some of the twists are turns are amazing, and you have no idea how it will turn out.

Playing on PC, and it hasn't dropped below 65fps at 1440p with a gtx1080.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Caidin posted:

Oh dear. I almost fled the room 2 minutes after starting to play because of those fuckers.

This is great so far. I have slight sound stuttering/volume issues at certain points but otherwise it's terrific.

Despite of what the internet says, I'm also pretty sure "shader rate" in the menu means supersampling and nothing else. That is at least exactly what's happening when I crank it beyond 1.0, the resolution just gets higher.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Is there really no other way no buy this game instead of Epic's awful website that won't accept any of my cards for no loving reason

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Is there really no other way no buy this game instead of Epic's awful website that won't accept any of my cards for no loving reason

No. Pre-ordering was the only way to get it on Steam.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a cool business model. Guess I'll just go play games I can actually purchase.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah for a storefront, Epic has surprisingly many issues with actually purchasing stuff...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

Playing on PC, and it hasn't dropped below 65fps at 1440p with a gtx1080.

Nice, what graphics setting are you using?

I have an RTX2080 and I’m debating whether or not to use ray tracing. Besides the performance hit, I’ve heard mixed things on its implementation. Supposedly it makes interior scenes much darker and the game doesn’t sound particularly well-mastered for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Caidin posted:

I loving knew it. Guess I'm passing on this one too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CJacobs posted:

I loving knew it. Guess I'm passing on this one too.

I can deal with a lot of spiders by now in games, but when they're done like here, doing exactly the poo poo that triggers the phobia irl, it's almost too much.

But well, gonna power through with the magic of alcohol I guess. Can't let those disgusting (yet vital and great) things dominate my free time.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I was going to get this game but I didn't have any money at the time I saw they had the pre-order up and then just before I got my drat paycheck they pulled the game from Steam because of this exclusivity nonsense.

I have enough online services already that I don't care to get any more of them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh dear, game locks up after the (stupidly long??) intro video with no solution in sight. My bad, I should have waited until some patches came out. Ah well, it'll be nice to have just sitting there. I like 4A Games and want them to keep on truckin'

It’s the DX12 bug, same thing was happening to me, try getting to the option menu and switching it to DX11 instead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This game wasn't even on my radar until I stupidly watched a video showing the gameplay through early Volga last night after work... After watching it I bought it and stayed up too late playing and have just now gotten to the end of where I watched the video playthrough (Krest has joined and I'm about to head off to get a passenger carriage).

I'm terrible at this sort of game so playing on easy and have still died a bunch of times. When the mutant jumps you and you have to press "E" the game really wasn't clear whether I should be hammering it as fast as possible or holding it, so died a few times figuring that out.

In general having a great time and really enjoying the game though, and it's gorgeous. Getting some strange stuttering issues and can't get a framerate monitor or GPU usage monitor to work while it's running so switching to DX11 and will see if that fixes things. Playing at 3440x1440 on a 1080ti and while I don't know what the actual frame rate is, it's perfectly playable if I could get rid of the stuttering that starts up after an hour or so of playing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

CDkeys are selling it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

This game wasn't even on my radar until I stupidly watched a video showing the gameplay through early Volga last night after work... After watching it I bought it and stayed up too late playing and have just now gotten to the end of where I watched the video playthrough (Krest has joined and I'm about to head off to get a passenger carriage).

I'm terrible at this sort of game so playing on easy and have still died a bunch of times. When the mutant jumps you and you have to press "E" the game really wasn't clear whether I should be hammering it as fast as possible or holding it, so died a few times figuring that out.

In general having a great time and really enjoying the game though, and it's gorgeous. Getting some strange stuttering issues and can't get a framerate monitor or GPU usage monitor to work while it's running so switching to DX11 and will see if that fixes things. Playing at 3440x1440 on a 1080ti and while I don't know what the actual frame rate is, it's perfectly playable if I could get rid of the stuttering that starts up after an hour or so of playing.

I'm getting between 40 and 60 FPS on a 1080 @ 2560x1440 and "EXTREME" preset, MB turned "low" and that supersampling option at 1.0 at DX11.

I don't have "stuttering", but the sound crackles every now and then (which typically happens if an engines FPS drop very low). But FPS aren't affected in those moments. I just turned Discord off, since it lately caused a lot of similar issues and sadly doesn't work anymore without hardware acceleration.

/nah sadly did nothing, but it just CTDed :(

haldolium fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 16, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Back Hack posted:

It’s the DX12 bug, same thing was happening to me, try getting to the option menu and switching it to DX11 instead.

I...can't because it crashes right after the intro video. 4A please...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

I don't care what anyone else says, I love this game. Some of the twists are turns are amazing, and you have no idea how it will turn out.

Metro has more personality in it's pinky finger than most other post apoc games combined. Which is why I keep buying them, even if they can be a little less polished than most AAA games these days.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I...can't because it crashes right after the intro video. 4A please...

Launch the game in safe mode, that should let you get to the option menu.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I just love how Metro is one (only?) game series that tries to be so authentic, that characters just talk over each other. Can be weird and is absolutely counter productive if you want to follow the story and trigger just too much talking at the same time, but I think the authenticity does come through.
Also it's great how this works with scripted sequences. There were now already two scenes in which a long dialogue was interrupted by user action, but you can chose the timing by yourself. Wonder what happens if you just don't intervene at all.

veni veni veni posted:

Metro has more personality in it's pinky finger than most other post apoc games combined. Which is why I keep buying them, even if they can be a little less polished than most AAA games these days.

There is Metro, Stalker and Fallout 1 and 2. Maybe Wasteland, but thats about it.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 16, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I also quite liked the style of the first Rage game at the time, which sadly seems to have shifted into super generic post apoc for the sequel.

Metro though, I've always just liked that it's always felt like it's been about the creators' vision, not what is most accessible or profitable. It's very good at atmosphere and the little intimate details of the world that make it very immersive imo. It's also got an appropriate layer of grime and sleaze over everything that most games lack.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

True, RAGE did a good job in that regard. But yeah, Metro has fantastic detail in many areas, a lot of which don't serve much more as to create atmosphere which is rather rare.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
One thing I am missing in Metro 3 thus far is the legitimate shadowy ghosts that made up one of the many hazards of Moscow, their presence has been missed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

haldolium posted:

I'm getting between 40 and 60 FPS on a 1080 @ 2560x1440 and "EXTREME" preset, MB turned "low" and that supersampling option at 1.0 at DX11.

I don't have "stuttering", but the sound crackles every now and then (which typically happens if an engines FPS drop very low). But FPS aren't affected in those moments. I just turned Discord off, since it lately caused a lot of similar issues and sadly doesn't work anymore without hardware acceleration.

The switch to DX11 was a winner. No stuttering, and with graphics mixed between high and ultra I'm getting 80+ fps running my ultrawide in 3440x1440. Game is pretty good even if I'm terrible at shooting. I need an ultra-quiet and accurate sniper rifle.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This game is pulling a fast one with its resource scarcity I think. During a train segment between one region and the next my material stockpile seems to have evaporated slightly. I had over 1000 parts and 800 chemicals and now less the half that.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Caidin posted:

This game is pulling a fast one with its resource scarcity I think. During a train segment between one region and the next my material stockpile seems to have evaporated slightly. I had over 1000 parts and 800 chemicals and now less the half that.

That kind of sucks. Although if the early stage is any kind of indicator, it's probably not an issue to come by and get stuff. But things like that are still a nogo.

The Locator posted:

The switch to DX11 was a winner. No stuttering, and with graphics mixed between high and ultra I'm getting 80+ fps running my ultrawide in 3440x1440. Game is pretty good even if I'm terrible at shooting. I need an ultra-quiet and accurate sniper rifle.

Thats cool, didn't image it would help but all the better!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to clean guns out in the field? On that note, where the hell are the crafting tables usually located? I'm in the first area outside of Moscow and my guns are borderline useless and I can't figure out where to clean them. I can't believe there isn't a bench on the train.

Either that or I'm just blind which is also entirely possible.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a way to clean guns out in the field? On that note, where the hell are the crafting tables usually located? I'm in the first area outside of Moscow and my guns are borderline useless and I can't figure out where to clean them. I can't believe there isn't a bench on the train.

There is a bench on the train, you just need to progress slightly further. There's close to 3/4 rest areas where you can use workbenches, some within like 200 meters of the train.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The house icons have benches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The amount of rage people have on the storefront thing is kind of mind blowing to me.

It's not that huge deal and people are acting like 4a and epic raped their dog and killed their mom.

And it's not like Valve is a pristine benevelolent entity either.

I loved all metro game and am excited to get to play this one when I get home tonight.