Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any suggestions for good horror movie podcasts? I’ve been listening to The Horror Show but they have some dumb takes on modern horror movies (too much tactical realism for me) which is too bad because I like the hosts.

Faculty of Horror is the best of the bunch IMO. We have such films to show you is also pretty decent. I haven't found any others I'd recommend, I tried The Horror Movie Podcast and gave up when they spent 5 minutes utterly baffled by Jake Gylenhaal's character in Velvet Buzzsaw because they couldn't conceive of bisexuality existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The first one. The only one that exists. The rest are all part of your dreams. You're in a coma. Wake up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's hard to make a good sequel to a movie that never existed. Evidence: Leonard Part 6.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any suggestions for good horror movie podcasts? I’ve been listening to The Horror Show but they have some dumb takes on modern horror movies (too much tactical realism for me) which is too bad because I like the hosts.

I also listen to Faculty of Horror and Nameless Cults. I’d add Evolution of Horror, which does deep dives into specific sub genres. So far they’ve done slashers, ghost movies, folk horror and are currently doing zombie movies.

Another podcast I’ve recently started is Shock Waves. It’s put out by blumhouse and gets a lot of good interview guests. Like the most recent episode has some people on from the Horror Noire documentary. The hosts are all involved in making horror movies to some extent and have some pretty good insights.

Basically my podcast criteria is that the hosts don’t all sound like me when I was in my early 20’s. So yeah I didn’t like The Horror Show either.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Untrustable posted:

The first one. The only one that exists. The rest are all part of your dreams. You're in a coma. Wake up.

Nightmare on Saw Street

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Saw 2 is better

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don’t think I would defend the Saw films but I am a big fan of how goofy and convoluted the timeline is, and how much importance each movie places on it. The villain is the cop from the first movie, but his torture escape room happened at the same time as the second film, which was right before the events of Saw 1.

Or something like that it’s basically the Primer timeline over 8 films.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
There is just so much endless trash on TubiTV, it’s fantastic. Like a pig in poo poo over here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I liked the first Saw but like overall I didn't find the deaths in the later movies that interesting.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There is just so much endless trash on TubiTV, it’s fantastic. Like a pig in poo poo over here.

Type Elvira into search and yeah they have some amazingly bad films on there from the 80s. They also though legit have one of the better collections of horror though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hollismason posted:

Type Elvira into search and yeah they have some amazingly bad films on there from the 80s. They also though legit have one of the better collections of horror though.

Yeah, it’s surprisingly chock full of underrated cult classics as well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Not sure if this'll pan out into anything but looks like Roth's finally doing Thanksgiving.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies...YS61oX9CJlatMaY

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wtf saw 2 is the best one in the whole series

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catfishenfuego posted:

Faculty of Horror is the best of the bunch IMO. We have such films to show you is also pretty decent. I haven't found any others I'd recommend, I tried The Horror Movie Podcast and gave up when they spent 5 minutes utterly baffled by Jake Gylenhaal's character in Velvet Buzzsaw because they couldn't conceive of bisexuality existing.

Bisexuality is only for TRUE DOOM MURDERHEADS

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
RIP Bruno Ganz. Probably the best cinematic Jonathan Harker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

drat, really a great great actor. What an amazing career.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had just watched him in The House that Jack Built, where he was great as usual.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just watched The Boy on Netflix, and it was pretty decent. Unfortunately I think the ultimate plot twist/reveal was about the most obvious of the various possibilities, and, IMO, the least interesting, although they did a good job with it.

I would have much preferred that the story had real supernatural elements. Either the events being purely supernatural and ghost related, or a mixture where there was some gaslighting going on but also a Scooby-doo "gotcha there was a real g-g-g-ghost too!" element.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

I wish I knew how to make Downfall memes. I'd love to see a proper memorial for him in that form.

"Mein Fuhrer, he was 77 years old."

"I don't give a poo poo! He should have lived forever!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I did not expect to feel that many emotions at Happy Deathday 2 U but wow is it emotional.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

An Elm Street Nightmare is a pretty decent miniseries on Nightmare on Elm Street that correctly cites Part 2 as being overly maligned. The hosts are iffy though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched Candy Man for the first time in years and was pretty blown away by the score. It might honestly be one of my favorite horror scores. Are the sequels any good? I vaguely remember them being straight to video releases.

That scene where Tony Todd rips up the doctor's spine then flies backwards out the window was so great. Honestly the only part that doesn't quite hold up is the burn make up on Virigina Madsen, I was watching the Blu Ray though , I doubt they were planning on anyone ever watching it in that fidelity.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just watched Candy Man for the first time in years and was pretty blown away by the score. It might honestly be one of my favorite horror scores. Are the sequels any good? I vaguely remember them being straight to video releases.

That scene where Tony Todd rips up the doctor's spine then flies backwards out the window was so great. Honestly the only part that doesn't quite hold up is the burn make up on Virigina Madsen, I was watching the Blu Ray though , I doubt they were planning on anyone ever watching it in that fidelity.
It’s not like there’s any less detail in the original 35mm; they probably just didn’t have the budget for anything better.

The worst part of that movie for me is his ridiculous furry coat. I have a real hard time getting past it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't 35mm basically 2k practically speaking?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jedit posted:

I wish I knew how to make Downfall memes. I'd love to see a proper memorial for him in that form.

:aaaaa: How the gently caress did I forget that role, considering he plays goddamn Hitler? I guess he was just that good. And he was.

I think it was the first thing I saw him in, then later watched Wings of Desire and never once did it register that it was the same guy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most movies in the pre-digital age were shot in 35mm and 4K UHDs typically show more detail than normal Blu-Rays. A lot of that depends on the film stock, lenses, and filters used, however. There are also multiple ways of shooting on 35mm film; Super35, for example, only uses a portion of the negative in widescreen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FreudianSlippers posted:

When I used to work in film restoration I was told 35mm could scan up to 8K before you hit diminishing returns.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard someone more knowledgeable than me say that theoretically speaking 35mm is infinite K but practically it's at least 2K.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Aside from My Bloody Valentine, I don’t know how Candyman wouldn’t be on everyone’s Valentine Horror Watch List.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Untrustable posted:

There was only one Saw movie. If you just believe that hard enough it's one of the best horror movies of all time.

Considering that the writer of the first movie had drafted a trilogy, but due to a falling out with the producers, he walked before even handing over the treatments, it’s not entirely unreasonable to say that there is one real Saw and a bunch of high-budget fanmade sequels.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Aside from My Bloody Valentine, I don’t know how Candyman wouldn’t be on everyone’s Valentine Horror Watch List.

It's likely to split people but Haute Tension should definitely be on that list. It was even intended to have a February release in the US before being bumped, which would make sense thematically in the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkysYCxTdU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Haute Tension is problematic and is basically a throwback to the deadly lesbian trope. Like from a film standpoint I would say that overrides the fact that its part of the French New Wave Horror.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Haute Tension is problematic and is basically a throwback to the deadly lesbian trope. Like from a film standpoint I would say that overrides the fact that its part of the French New Wave Horror.

A lot of horror films that are otherwise good are problematic in this way, including Silence of the Lambs, Dressed to Kill, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Silence of the Lambs is such a good examination of misogyny though. Surely that balances it out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah but it's not a good enough film to overcome that issue in my opinion. It' not like Silence of the Lambs which is a incredibly film with issues.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's a trope?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a trope?

What, the evil lesbian thing?

To put it mildly yes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Haute Tension is a terrible film that is also straightforwardly homophobic. The casual equanimity it presents between the protagonist's repressed lesbian desires and this horrific embodiment of violent male sexual aggression in order to achieve it is straight up gross.

Silence of the Lambs, on the other hand, is both a good film, and, while reactionary in a certain sense, goes out of its way to reject a reading that demonizes "transsexualism" as a mental disorder continuous with violent pathology. Much like Psycho, a character in the film literally says that the serial killer isn't queer, or at least disputes the assessment of the character as such by the reactionary definitions of the time. Like, the irony is that in Silence of the Lambs, Starling states that "There's no correlation in literature between transsexualism and violence, transsexuals are very passive" - so if anything the trope being deployed there is that "transexuals" are passive sissy boys who are incapable of doing something as uniquely masculine as serial killing.

In general, tropes are a poor substitute for ideological critique. A single trope doesn't explain a particular form of hegemonic oppression and marginalization, which relies upon a spectrum of prejudicial views and values that often directly contradict one another. In one instance, "queer-ness" is unnatural and emblematic of a disordered pathology that organically leads to personally and socially destructive actions. But in another instance, queer-ness is functionally a kind of nothingness because it doesn't conform to gender-sexual binaries, so we can just go ahead and discount "real" queers and pretend that they don't exist as a point of social or psychological reference. Ultimately the latter narrative is far more common and pervasive, whereas stuff like Haute Tension is just leaning on contrived shock tactics and obscurantist storytelling (the narrative is presented cyclically as if to imply that everything is a dream-within-a-dream; Marie's pathology completely changes the moment Alex puts the pieces together and confronts her).

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a trope?

In as much as the "tragic lesbian" is the umbrella trope. See also, Dracula's Daughter.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The association of being gay or cross dressing with being a twisted homicidal maniac is something that's been part of a lot of horror films from Psycho to Sleepaway Camp. It's definitely an issue that the film industry has not fully come to terms with in my opinion.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
The word “problematic” is a sign that the speaker should not be taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deadguy2322 posted:

The word “problematic” is a sign that the speaker should not be taken seriously.

:getout: