Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of, I saw the other day Marvel had a game out that looks basically like Secret Hitler, but Secret Hydra. Anyone play this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

How do you guys play your rl Mafia games?

I usually make sure people are a bit drunk (but not too) throw in some sort of incentive towards winning / against losing.

Then we sit in a circle and I play theme songs for each role there is during nighttime so people know when to open their eyes / keep them closed. (Even if there isn’t a cop I’ll play a cop song. )

Music covers up any sort of movement and people can easily point towards who they want to save / kill / whatever.

Any more tips from the crowd?

One Night Ultimate Werewolf and its expansions basically do all this for you, including the nighttime announcements (there's a phone app) and pregame stuff.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Affi posted:

How do you guys play your rl Mafia games?

I usually make sure people are a bit drunk (but not too) throw in some sort of incentive towards winning / against losing.

Then we sit in a circle and I play theme songs for each role there is during nighttime so people know when to open their eyes / keep them closed. (Even if there isn’t a cop I’ll play a cop song. )

Music covers up any sort of movement and people can easily point towards who they want to save / kill / whatever.

Any more tips from the crowd?

I’ve always just had music on in the background, didn’t go through the trouble of custom themes like you did but it’s a good way to try to drown out any incidental moving. I also allow general chit chat during the night too, seems to have worked fine.

Biggest tip I can have is don’t do flipless. Every time I play in person with a new group they want to do flipless for some reason and I have to save them from themselves.

But echoing everyone else, haven’t played much just straight mafia irl in a while, it’s mostly been Avalon and ONUW

Edit: one thing I want to try is not having traditional night with closed eyes and such and just having folks text in their orders. People are on their phone all the time anyway, think having a few minute break where people can go to the bathroom or whatever and it’d be easy to send a message in, but haven’t gotten to try that yet

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2019

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Edit: one thing I want to try is not having traditional night with closed eyes and such and just having folks text in their orders. People are on their phone all the time anyway, think having a few minute break where people can go to the bathroom or whatever and it’d be easy to send a message in, but haven’t gotten to try that yet

Ooh this is a solid idea, I like it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Peta posted:

WHERE IS FRONZ

Hello

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Podima posted:

Ooh this is a solid idea, I like it.

I've never player IRL but I thought that'd be how everyone would be doing it?

It made the most sense to me anyway, as opposed to trying to get a bunch of grown ups to sit around patiently with their eyes closed when there is alcohol involved.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

hambeet posted:

I've never player IRL but I thought that'd be how everyone would be doing it?

It made the most sense to me anyway, as opposed to trying to get a bunch of grown ups to sit around patiently with their eyes closed when there is alcohol involved.

It’d be hella slower though. And honestly my friends aren’t on the phone that much during parties and especially not during games.

So it’d immediately be obvious who was texting a lot (if scum had to coordinate and send orders to me)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Affi posted:

And honestly my friends aren’t on the phone that much during parties and especially not during games.

I wish I lived your life :rip:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I too wish I had friends

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There should be a jackbox esque mafia or avalon thing where your console and tv can do the mod duties and you handle votes and stuff by joining the room via website on your phones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im pretty sure those one night games have some apps now

avalon doesn't really need one the mod stuff is so simple.
but i mean i think a game built around being used with an app could like actually do some neat stuff with unique mechanics and what not

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Let's build one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

There should be a jackbox esque mafia or avalon thing where your console and tv can do the mod duties and you handle votes and stuff by joining the room via website on your phones.

https://www.proavalon.com/
http://www.theresistanceplus.com/about.html

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 12, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Make a bot to do the modding, then a bunch more to be the players, and then we can be free of our curse

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Make a bot to do the modding, then a bunch more to be the players, and then we can be free of our curse

drat AI stealing our jobs and now our hobbies. :(

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ernie. posted:

drat AI stealing our jobs and now our hobbies. :(

he's too clever for his own good

I have been devising a game of Assassin that I'm looking forward to, but I'm concerned about having too much impact on other games. I'd want it to be an extremely slow burn?? Things for after Everdunes

speaking of Everdunes

I don't recommend starting anything big unless it'll wrap in less than a month / until, uh, "summer"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm planning to open a game soon, hoping to start it around March 7th.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

peramene posted:

speaking of Everdunes

I am specifically saving FF8 until after Everdunes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

I am specifically saving FF8 until after Everdunes.

You have my gunsword.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

George Kansas posted:

I'm planning to open a game soon, hoping to start it around March 7th.

don't think a user name change will protect you from my wrath, opop

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

peramene posted:

I don't recommend starting anything big unless it'll wrap in less than a month / until, uh, "summer"

but summer is pretty much already over?????

*shelves plans for another year*

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

but summer is pretty much already over?????

*shelves plans for another year*

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run Pottergame 2 in the Australian winter/springtime :h:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more like

neverdunes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

peramene posted:

don't think a user name change will protect you from my wrath, opop

Yeah, fuckin’ opop

Old Maid You Look
Jun 6, 2018

[Insert Bone Joke Here]

peramene posted:

What if I do it anyway?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Is everdunes the big rpg thing you all were talking about in discord the other day?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Old Maid You Look posted:

What if I do it anyway?

i swear to god, t

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Is everdunes the big rpg thing you all were talking about in discord the other day?

yeah probably

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Whenever pera stops responding when I message her on Discord, I know she's either designing, running, or recovering from a Myst game.

pera is always designing, running, or recovering from a Myst game.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Whenever pera stops responding when I message her on Discord, I know she's either designing, running, or recovering from a Myst game.

pera is always designing, running, or recovering from a Myst game.

I wish >:/

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’m in need of a replacement.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I’m in need of a replacement.

I'm here for you, friend.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

peramene posted:

I wish >:/
Well then you don't have an excuse, bitch, so next time just lie to me.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

PMush Perfect posted:

:yikes:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

it would be better to be working than not doing anything

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

everything is on schedule and going great, I'm really glad at how well I'm talking advantage of my crew and I'm running a real tight ship. we should be absolutely ready and set to launch on time, and we won't need a player cap

i think next year will generate tons of income and rent won't be a problem anymore, especially if things go the way I'm expecting them to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Here I can do it too, watch: You've never pulled through anything tough before and I don't believe you can kick rear end even when it's hard. Also it's not okay to have angst.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

peramene posted:

everything is on schedule and going great, I'm really glad at how well I'm talking advantage of my crew and I'm running a real tight ship. we should be absolutely ready and set to launch on time, and we won't need a player cap

i think next year will generate tons of income and rent won't be a problem anymore, especially if things go the way I'm expecting them to.

Are you working on a mmo because I may or may not be interested

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

Are you working on a mmo because I may or may not be interested

Hey I’m developing this game that might interest you. It’s called Star Citizen and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hey I’m developing this game that might interest you. It’s called Star Citizen and

lol