Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It was both pretty inept and fundamentally light-hearted, but I just watched Velvet Buzzsaw and I was struck by how it probably had the most Ligotti-ish premise I've seen in mainstream cinema or TV.

('The Bungalow Tapes' for the macabre outsider art that reveals a hypnotic, horrific truth, or any story where a bunch of affected, competitive artists are destroyed by their exposure to something genuinely visionary and awful)

Am I missing anything else, that one unmade episode of the X-Files aside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
oh yeah avs ligotti co-wrote a screenplay for an episode of the x-files that was never made & it's easy findable online

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 10, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

let ligotti have a season of true detective

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

He basically did.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

grobbo posted:

It was both pretty inept and fundamentally light-hearted, but I just watched Velvet Buzzsaw and I was struck by how it probably had the most Ligotti-ish premise I've seen in mainstream cinema or TV.

('The Bungalow Tapes' for the macabre outsider art that reveals a hypnotic, horrific truth, or any story where a bunch of affected, competitive artists are destroyed by their exposure to something genuinely visionary and awful)

Am I missing anything else, that one unmade episode of the X-Files aside?

every story that references the King In Yellow is what you're looking for

It's a good collection of short stories but the title story is not as good as some of the pastiches of it.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i dig the lig

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
teatro is pretty sexless and i was starting to think ligotti might not be a sex weird, but to my great relief his earlier stories often have a Girl in them and he is absolutely a sex weird

e: also his dad's name is "gasper"

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
crepuscular

pikachode fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 12, 2019

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

every story that references the King In Yellow is what you're looking for

It's a good collection of short stories but the title story is not as good as some of the pastiches of it.

Thanks, but I was talking about Ligotti-ish cinema / television!

I think you need to discount True Detective S1, despite the cribbed monologues: the heroes are too action-driven and capable, the villain's motives too ordinary, and despite much build-up to the contrary, they end up getting a glimpse of the true nature of things and come out bruised but with a refreshed appreciation of their own humanity and the possibility of order and meaning in the universe, which is perhaps the least Ligotti-ish ending you could conceive of.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
ffs someone get me ligotti's number i want to text him ambiguous silhouettes. please let me be responsible for the death of someone slightly famous

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A new Brian Hodge collection, Skidding Into Oblivion, is out this month.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

pikachode posted:

teatro is pretty sexless and i was starting to think ligotti might not be a sex weird, but to my great relief his earlier stories often have a Girl in them and he is absolutely a sex weird

e: also his dad's name is "gasper"

Ligotti's sex fetish is shrinking women down into petite dolls and putting them in your curiosity cabinet and/or tucking them inside your own personhood, which is exactly my fetish too

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
verdict: what an absolutely bizarre little man

he makes it abundantly clear when he's jerking off, which i appreciate

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
this convo made me go re-read most of teatro and i forgot how funny ligotti can be in his thoroughly broken, unbelievably depressed way. like the clown puppet is hysterical

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this convo made me go re-read most of teatro and i forgot how funny ligotti can be in his thoroughly broken, unbelievably depressed way. like the clown puppet is hysterical
his puppet fetish in general is so weirdly endearing. at first it's like "oh this is an interesting motif", then after four or five puppet stories it's like "does this man have no other ideas?" then by the tenth or eleventh it becomes "oh thomas not again" and then you're getting up into the double digits of :supaburn: PUPPETS CLOWNS PUPPETS :supaburn: and you begin to realise you're dealing with a mind quite unlike other human minds

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
puppets, clowns, dolls, dummies, mannequins, and the horrors of casual employment

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
oh and christmas, he loving hates christmas lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:getin::getin::getin:But I wanted to witness what could never be
I wanted to see what could not be seen
But the moment of consummate disaster
When puppets turn to face the puppet master
:getin::getin::getin:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Since Mr Vizniak’s shop was located on an obscure backstreet, the neighborhood outside was profoundly inactive during the later hours of the night. And since most of the streetlamps in the neighborhood were either broken or defective in some way, the only thing I could see through the small front window of the shop was the neon lettering in the window of the meat store directly across the street. These pale neon letters remained lit throughout the night in the window of the meat store, spelling out three words: beef, pork, goat.Sometimes I would stare at these words and contemplate them until my head became so full of meat nonsense, of beef and pork and goat nonsense, that I had to turn away and find something to occupy myself in the back room of the medicine shop, where there were no windows and thus no possibility of meat-store visions. But once I was in the back room I would become preoccupied with all the medicines which were stored there, all the bottles and jars and boxes upon boxes stacked from floor to ceiling in an extremely cramped area. I had learned quite a bit about these medicines from Mr Vizniak, although I did not have a license to prepare and dispense them to customers without his supervision. I knew which medicines could be used to most easily cause death in someone who had ingested them in the proper amount and proper manner. Thus, whenever I went into the back room to relieve my mind from the meat nonsense brought on by excessive contemplation of the beef-pork-and-goat store, I almost immediately became preoccupied with fatal medicines; in other words, I would then become obsessed with death nonsense, which is one of the worst and most outrageous forms of all nonsense.
:3:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
so loving dense

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
so loving polish

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
semi-related, the total failure of a polish-american that ran down heather heyer was described by neighbours as a goon who, after beating up his good republican mother in a fit of rage for interrupting his video games, would storm out to his car and sulk there playing death metal and polka (!) at deafening volume. we are a magical race, in our own way

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
ligotti is apparently 3/4 sicilian 1/4 polish born in detroit, which just totally fascinates me on like an anthropological level

e: especially combined with his terrible fear of both christmas and clowns

pikachode fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 17, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
he is afraid of the clown, but he wants to gently caress the puppet, but to gently caress a puppet you must be a puppet, and he is not a puppet but closer to a clown and it causes him constant anguish, and as for the store mannequins do not speak of them, do not speak of the mannequins, and if you mentioned crash-test dummies he'd probably expire right there on the spot in front of you from a stress-induced intestinal failure

it's like

why

why is he like this

how did this happen

pikachode fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Are you watching? Have you been here? Is this the room that you remember? Where we laughed and gassed and flirted? Where we've been for all these years? poo poo. Motherfucker. Your children are already getting old. Your skin as thick as clay mud. Let's go. Let's have a chicken sandwich. Eat while you can, is what I'm saying. Chew the rubble. Suck the fat. Is that your Timmy on the floor beside you? His small eyes wide and full of curse? He's going to die. Your little Timmy. He's going to perish of something dumb. The Book says all first babies busted. You will watch your young boy die. Feed him antiseptic, vitamins and chicken soup. Kiss him on the face. By month's end he will be zero. His ghoul will clog your pretty home. Evenings of screech, of squawk, and rattle. Prepare yourselves. Turn the TV loud. Hide the windows. Clench the gun. Every home will fill thick with the souls of those it once covered over. The walls will move in smaller. The ceilings will come down. You've had all these years to pay attention. You've had time for spinach salads and Sunday football and summer beer. You've prayed for air conditioning. You've fixed your eyes to the small screen. Bastard. Bitch poo poo dicksucker. God is tired. Think of all the doors you've never opened. Of the photographs you've allowed to filch your image. Think of nothing. Think of poo poo. I can see you from here, you know. I am the Alpha and Omega. I am the Fonz. I've been inside your bed. Think of drought, then think of water. Years absorbing. Endless rain. Walls fattened, roof beams buckled. Your brother underground grown rot with wet. And after the rain, the infestation. The moth eggs in your ear holes. The growth of hair. You won't see that. You won't listen. There is something in your eyes.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
that's the finest ragequit ive seen on these forums

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

So Ligotti was Q all along?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
tell me more

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pikachode posted:

tell me more

We Witnessed the Advent of a New Apocalypse During an Episode of "Friends" by Blake Butler

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

We Witnessed the Advent of a New Apocalypse During an Episode of "Friends" by Blake Butler
i've overcome my bitterness about not being able to buy his books for cheaper than a motor scooter and am seeking him out online

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pikachode posted:

i've overcome my bitterness about not being able to buy his books for cheaper than a motor scooter and am seeking him out online

stick to Scorch Atlas and maybe Three Hundred Million if you're feeling daring, he hasn't written in years and his work is uneven

more available here

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

stick to Scorch Atlas and maybe Three Hundred Million if you're feeling daring, he hasn't written in years and his work is uneven

more available here
i'm reading his shorts, he's drat good

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
do you know if blake butler is a legitimate crazy person (like ligotti!) or if he's just actually a pretty normal person who does drugs, because his comprehensible stuff is great but his incomprehensible stuff is the sort of translucent nonsense i recognise from the diaries of acid fiends

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Traxis posted:

Can anyone recommend any books that have a found footage/mysterious signals/numbers stations vibe? So far I've read:
House of Leaves
Transmission by Ambrose Ibsen
Experimental Film by Gemma Files
The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp
and the short story collection Lost Signals

None are traditionally horror but do incorporate varying degrees of secret society mystery, which sometimes scratches a horror itch. Night Film by Marisha Pessl. If you want to be a bit more intimate with the found item and are okay with trying something a bit gimmicky, S. might be up your alley. And finally, though I'm obviously biased, I'm going to throw Foucault's Pendulum in there. It's like an origins story for the mysterious signals themselves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pikachode posted:

do you know if blake butler is a legitimate crazy person (like ligotti!) or if he's just actually a pretty normal person who does drugs, because his comprehensible stuff is great but his incomprehensible stuff is the sort of translucent nonsense i recognise from the diaries of acid fiends

his articles are lucid to the point of being prosaic so I’d place my chips on the latter

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Ligotti is funny as heck and he also reminds me of things Theodor Adorno would write if he was alive in 2019

quote:

Even the tree which blooms, lies, the moment that one perceives its bloom without the shadow of horror; even the innocent “How beautiful” becomes an excuse for the ignominy of existence, which is otherwise, and there is no longer any beauty or any consolation, except in the gaze which goes straight to the horror, withstands it, and in the undiminished consciousness of negativity, holds fast to the possibility of that which is better. Mistrust is advisable towards everything which is unselfconscious, casual, towards everything which involves letting go, implying indulgence towards the supremacy of the existent. The malign deeper meaning of comfort, which at one time was limited to the toasts of cozy sociability, has long since spread to friendlier impulses. When in the chance conversation with a man on the train, one acquiesces, in order to avoid a quarrel, to a couple of sentences which one knows ultimately certify murder, is already an act of treachery; no thought is immune against its communication, and uttering it at the wrong place and in the context of a false agreement is enough to undercut its truth. Every visit to the cinema, despite the utmost watchfulness, leaves me dumber and worse than before. Sociability itself is a participant in injustice, insofar as it pretends we can still talk with each other in a frozen world, and the flippant, chummy word contributes to the perpetuation of silence, insofar as the concessions to those being addressed debase the latter once more as speakers.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The outrage over atrocities decreases, the more that the ones affected are unlike normal readers, the more brunette, “dirty,” dago-like. This says just as much about the atrocity as about the observers. Perhaps the social schematism of perception in anti-Semites is so altered, that they cannot even see Jews as human beings. The ceaselessly recurrent expression that savages, blacks, Japanese resemble animals, or something like apes, already contains the key to the pogrom. The possibility of this latter is contained in the moment that a mortally wounded animal looks at a human being in the eye. The defiance with which they push away this gaze – “it’s after all only an animal” – is repeated irresistibly in atrocities to human beings, in which the perpetrators must constantly reconfirm this “only an animal,” because they never entirely believed it even with animals. The concept of human beings in repressive society is the parody of the notion that human beings were created in the image of God. The mechanism of “pathic projection” functions in such a manner that the power-brokers perceive only their own mirror image as human beings, instead of reflecting back what is human as precisely what is different. Murder is thus the attempt to displace, again and again, the madness of such false perception into reason, through greater madness: what is not seen as a human being and yet is a human being, is turned into a thing, so that it can no longer rebut the manic gaze through any sort of impulse.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
the last feast of harlequin is a really interesting read if you keep in mind the authorial context of "clinically insane autistic sicilian-polish-american man w/ confirmed unexplained puppet/clown fetish born in detroit michigan less than ten years after world war ii". death of the author does not and cannot apply in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
part of the reason lovecraft's rants have survived is that he himself was such a fascinating individual. ligotti has the same appeal. whereas someone like barron claims all this stuff but it just seems like too much, i don't trust him