Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nobody wanted to move or commute to geelong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It's ok, I'm sure there are some good young Crows players that want out next year

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No you see, then they'd have to uproot their lives and move interstate, for basically no pay.

Geelong didn't poach 'big names' because most wouldn't want to have to drive to geelong after a full days work to go to training and drive an hour+ back home at 11pm after training.

For North it is easy, training at Arden st which is close to the city so easy to get to, plus they could poach a ton of players, way more than the original clubs could pre-sign before the draft. Innaugral clubs could sign two marquee players and sign two more? (or 1 more?) before the draft, which spread the talent around. North comes in and grabs like 4 top players and 4 very good players while the clubs they came form got middle tier draft picks in return.

The crows are safe, Port won't have a team until 2024 or so so they have an exclusive draft zone, yes SA/NT zone might be weaker but if they can convince a player to move to Adelaide and sign up for that draft zone there is no opposition.

Brisbane and Freo also had exclusive zones but now the Suns and Eagles join next year so their teams will be raided like the vic clubs were.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The SUNS? Seriously? Does that not strike anyone else as crazy short sighted seeing as the franchise as a whole could potentially keel over in the next 5 years?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hiddenmovement posted:

The SUNS? Seriously? Does that not strike anyone else as crazy short sighted seeing as the franchise as a whole could potentially keel over in the next 5 years?

The AFL being shortsighted and stupid? How could such a thing possibly be?
The AFL not caring about the wellbeing/viability of an AFLW club? Again, such a thing is unpossible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can see the logic tbh, Queensland has really strong participation in women’s football.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

cmndstab posted:

Also, can someone who has been following this closer than me explain why North Melbourne's AFLW team is so drat strong while Geelong's is just average? They would have had similar concessions, right? North Melbourne look practically unbeatable.

Norf raided as heavily as they could and probabky need to win this year, Cats more concerned with developing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If NorthTassie don't win it this year they have hosed up big time.

Also hopefully the AFL take a few players off of them to found the two new vic teams (Tigers and Saints)

hiddenmovement posted:

The suns will never fold.

Neither will GWS, other clubs will fold before they do.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Melbourne has just announced Jaguar as a major sponsor this season. It's not Range Rover, but it's close enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/CrowsAFLW/status/1094505647893172224

Crows have a new back of guernsey sponsor in Optus, first time ever it hasn't been Toyota. Toyota still extended as the major partner though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two suspensions and a referral to the tribunal

https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1094841112806621184

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL, displaying their incompetence again? It's unthinkable

https://twitter.com/PeopleAflw/status/1094525719202263040

Why does that ladder have points and wins columns swapped?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Played / points

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Quantum Shart posted:

Played / points

Yeah but on a normal ladder from left to right it would be P W [L D PF PA] % Points.

I just checked, and for some reason the AFL site now has the ladder with this backwards-rear end arrangement as well

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 11, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Sorry to break this to you but thats how we have always done ladders in Victoria. The AFL just obviously cant be bothered putting the SA version of the website up anymore due to lack of interest.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Victorians are weird.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It makes sense because it gives you the information regarding position on the ladder first.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

The crows are safe, Port won't have a team until 2024 or so so they have an exclusive draft zone, yes SA/NT zone might be weaker but if they can convince a player to move to Adelaide and sign up for that draft zone there is no opposition.

Yeah, this was my conclusion too. Every time a new club gets added to the comp that isn't Port, the Crows' position in the comp becomes relatively stronger since our draft pool remains the same as before while the other clubs in the new club's state all become weaker..

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Yeah, this was my conclusion too. Every time a new club gets added to the comp that isn't Port, the Crows' position in the comp becomes relatively stronger since our draft pool remains the same as before while the other clubs in the new club's state all become weaker..

And yet you all loving whinge about there being ten Victorian teams in the men’s, smdh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well the men have a national draft.

If there was a COLA for the aflw and a decent pay rise (eg: 45k base rate per season for a 3 month season and 3 month preseason) the Draft could go national without too many complications, especially as the league grows younger as older players retire and the only new players coming into the system are draftees without existing careers or uni courses to worry about relocating.

Crows and GWS have the best pools avalible solely to themselves, although crows come out ahead because afl is more prominent in SA and NT than in NSW, especially for women.

Sydney haven't been able to have a team because they lack training facilities but the club announced at the end of last season a new training base so once that is built they can have a womens team. They have an academy at the moment afaik.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1095250153664012289

rip.

4-6 week injury for Ash Riddell

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hard to try and work out which is more incompetent out of the afl or the federal coalition at this point imo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Maybe the AFLW would get some more attention from AFL house if they played a game on Nauru every now and again

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

Maybe the AFLW would get some more attention from AFL house if they were French and there to look after the executive children

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are one of the lucky members to be selected to form our Guard of Honour this weekend for our Round 3 match against Geelong!

ROUND 3 - ADELAIDE CROWS VS GEELONG
SUNDAY 17TH FEBRUARY

2:05PM NORWOOD OVAL

:ducksiren:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Congrats

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

And yet you all loving whinge about there being ten Victorian teams in the men’s, smdh

It's due to all the salt in the water in Adelaide:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-14/tap-water-which-state-has-the-best-and-what-is-in-it/10785542

People on the mainland want to move to Melbourne cos we have the best water, as well as the best city :smug:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Agreed, the Crows will henceforth have exclusive rights to all SA talent.

also port will be disbanded

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Nerf North, please.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I expect north to be broken up and form the backbone of the tigers and saints next season.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’m still hoping against hope that they Norf it up at the knockout stages

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Blues getting up early over the giants.

4.3 to 1.1

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Prespakis to win rising star award.

Probably a strong contender for MVP award too.

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1096659152644886528

https://twitter.com/georgh/status/1096645865836404737

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Collingwood r bad

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/NicNegrepontis/status/1096708625282682880?s=19

That is why. They got raided.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Following the Carlton model I see

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

When does this raiding recruitment style stop? I know its really to just get the teams setup and the like but eventually its going to undermine the poo poo out of the comp if you have no player retention.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Perkins just killed someone, and then got robbed of a goal by a bad free kick call

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So if I remember correctly Melbourne started the round on the bottom of Conference A, and are up 47-7 at half time against Brisbane who started the round on top of Conference B :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Adelaide are 2-1 with 141% and they're going to miss out on the finals by 2 places because of this trash fire conference system

If you stack the two conferences together the only reason it isn't just the order on the screen is because Carlton at the top of B have 0.2% better percentage than the Bulldogs at the bottom of A