Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

i guess the real resident evil was the boats we spent time on along the way

Nautical Malevolence just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
https://twitter.com/ModeratelyOkCos/status/1096847699092140033

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Vakal posted:

Nautical Malevolence just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

Resident Keelhaul

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my son is also named boat

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

We need a Super Robot Wars game or something where we control a fleet of the Resident Evil boats and submarines.

One of those lopsided games like Evolve or Friday the 13th, but it's an armada of ships versus Leon's ability to shithouse any motorized vehicle.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

lol at the library

MIC ON

"that was bullshit!"

MIC OFF

Yeah it was! Now I know they can totally grab you when you hop off a ladder :v:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

Let's not forget the bottomless font of goofy RE avatar gold, Biohazard Clan Master.

:swoon:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I started Leon B on Hardcore. I thought I was prepared for hard but was utterly disoriented and died to the flaming zombies within 15 mins.

Started on standard instead because B is definitely throwing me for a loop. Why are there zombies in the main hall? Mr X please stop aah

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So simple but so amazing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I started Leon B on Hardcore. I thought I was prepared for hard but was utterly disoriented and died to the flaming zombies within 15 mins.

Started on standard instead because B is definitely throwing me for a loop. Why are there zombies in the main hall? Mr X please stop aah

Leon B is tough. Mr.X has been a real son of a bitch to deal with so far, although it's nice to be able to duck into the underground room in the lobby and be safe. The big rear end in a top hat won't follow you in.

I got wrecked today trying to get into/out of the records room with zombies wandering in. Mr.X insisting he give it to me, and more zombies in the hall and oh right the other Licker I didnt know was down there because I killed his buddy by the west office but didn't kill the one by records because lol why would I have done that?

I think I was jumped by the licker, then punched and then grabbed to death.

Also gave Ghost Survivors a shot and it is way god drat harder than I expected. I cleared Kendo training in 15 minutes after dying and restarting and making nothing but shotgun ammo.

I cleared the girl in 11 something training but gently caress she gets swarmed so loving fast. Also pale heads can gently caress right off.

Can't finish Ghost at all on training. Ended up making it to the room above the cable car and died with no ammo to the plant dude. gently caress those guys too.

Still love this game and can't wait to finish Leon B. That infinite pistol really is a game changer.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

[Edit] - Ignore, phone bullshit didn't work.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 17, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Night10194 posted:

As loving dumb as Dead Aim is for a lot of reasons, I love the idea that Umbrella has a cruise liner entirely to serve as a floating 'in international waters' showroom for bioweapons.

That's just the most Umbrella move.

They appear to have like at least 4 - all three of the ones from Resident Evil Revelations 1 were Umbrella.

oh god I just found the relevant wiki page.

The official explanation is that Umbrella literally ran a subsidiary cruise ship company.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Discendo Vox posted:

The official explanation is that Umbrella literally ran a subsidiary cruise ship company.

...yeah, I don't know about that. I was talking about how somebody on that wiki seems to be making poo poo up, and that's a good example.

Apparently there's some fan-translated booklet from a Japanese-only deluxe edition that says, at some point, Umbrella owned ships. So therefore, obviously, everything is connected and Umbrella owned the ships that served as the primary settings for a spin-off game that was released five years later.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hot take : the fact you can't get goofy costumes in RE7 makes it the worst in the series. Which also means RE3 is the best one because Jill gets like 8 different costumes? makes sense to me

edit : about Umbrella owning ships, it start making sense when you consider that in japanese business culture, tentacular keiretsus that deal in all kind of businesses are a thing. For example, Mitsubishi deals with banking, heavy industry, cars (and other vehicles), nuclear energy, photograpy (they own Nikon) and so on. So really, for a japanese person, the idea of a huge corporation like Umbrella making bank on medical research but also owning ships or making weapons is within the real of reason.

Must have been hosed up for random civilians in the early 2000s when their Umbrella Banking account suddenly closed with no explanation.

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 17, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many fun dumb-rear end ways they could have taken advantage of the first person perspective and full body awareness for costumes and unlockables. Instead we got...

Walking Shoes. :smith:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I wish Ethan got more characterisation and personality. FPS makes it harder to make your protagonist stand out, but it's not impossible. Look at what they did for little touches in the new Doom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wish Ethan got more characterisation and personality. FPS makes it harder to make your protagonist stand out, but it's not impossible. Look at what they did for little touches in the new Doom.

I mean even the item descriptions would have been an opportunity to give him more personality and they didn't. The worst is because of his relationships he can't coast on a blank slate personality so instead of coming across as an everyman in over his head he comes across as almost sinister.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'll probably man up and restart my first Leon B run and up the difficulty to hardcore.

Standard is pretty tough especially with adaptive difficulty (which I just found out it exists) but auto saving does take away some of that tension

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, so far:
[*]Resident Evil 5 (2009) has a bossfight against Ricardo Irving from a boat. A large late section of the game takes place on a freighter/tanker controlled by Wesker which appears to not have a name.

Chris and Sheva tool around on a fan boat for a bit, and Josh, being the LEGEND he is comes to your rescue when the oil fields(?) dockyard(?) is on a self-destruct timer. RE5 was pretty boat-forward.

I can't recall if that boat rolls over to the Irving boss fight (I don't think so, Josh just rolls up with a little dinghy and Irving was on a cruise ship IIRC).

Is Josh the only support NPC to fly a helicopter and man a boat and live?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Josh needs to come back. Team him up with Billy and Carlos with Ethan as the mission support

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is Josh the only support NPC to fly a helicopter and man a boat and live?

I thought for sure the extra three BSAA agents in Chris's team in Vendetta were just there as BOW fodder. It turned out that only one was, and he wasn't the pilot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Josh needs to come back. Team him up with Billy and Carlos with Ethan as the mission support

I've said it before, but a Billy and Josh story kinda has potential roots. He was on death row for (allegedly) wiping out an African village.

Josh finds out he's still alive and fighting BOWs under an assumed identity and decides to bring him to justice... until they need to team up!

Suplexing?! You bet your rear end there's gonna be suplexing, son!

Someone find that clip from Darkside Chronicles where Billy suplexes the zombie monkey

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I thought I was good at games until I played RE2make. I'm stuck on the fight with Birkin where he throws tanks of fuel at me. I can't seem to wear him down at all and get killed pretty handily. Had to put it aside for a bit and play some Far Cry.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Untrustable posted:

I thought I was good at games until I played RE2make. I'm stuck on the fight with Birkin where he throws tanks of fuel at me. I can't seem to wear him down at all and get killed pretty handily. Had to put it aside for a bit and play some Far Cry.

If you have any grenades, acid rounds etc now is a good time to use them. And by use I mean fire at him nonstop

You can hide behind objects and run diagonally towards him to dodge some of his moves

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Aim at his eyes (the small ones can be burst so you know you're making progress) and then keep moving. His slashes are terrifyingly large and Leon and Claire loving amble around, but if you just take a couple shots/huck a grenade then move he really can't hit you. When you get to the final phase of the fight and he's just exposing his chest eyes constantly light em up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Stayed up way too late tonight playing RE7. Finished my Madhouse run and am now 90% of the way through a victory lap on Easy, the infinite ammo unlock is so much fun. Even the first dinky pistol you get turns into a powerhouse with unlimited enhanced ammo. :swoon:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Infinite ammo is fun, but the circular saw is my jam.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I should try doing an infinite ammo run in RE7. Just to show those fat molded on the boat who's the boss.

I do hope Capcom is planning a RE3make or something similar. Jill would definitely benefit from an updated character design (both in script and visually)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Code Veronica is either the worst good RE game or the best bad one. I love it so much. The voice acting. THE VOICE ACTING. It's somehow worse than RE1, but everyone is trying so hard it's beautiful. I have not laughed this much at a game in ages. Steve's "FATHERRRRRR!!!!!" was the game equivalent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE&t=23s

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Brown trousers time and I just had the luckiest escape from one of the Cabbage Patch Kids on my way to the cooling room; I set him on fire while backing off but the bastard had the typical burst of speed this game loves to ruin my fun with and grabbed me anyway, so I'm just expecting death at this point because I've stupidly stuffed all my defensive items into the box and mashing buttons won't save me now... but at the last moment the sentient vegetable suddenly flaps around and falls over because of all the fire damage ticking away finally did enough to knock the fucker down.

I didn't even realise that was a thing, that's loving fantastic attention to detail and keeping things fair, Capcom.
:golfclap:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I remember really enjoying Resident Evil: Dead Aim, but I'm not sure how warranted that is because I also remember it looking alright and after a quick youtube, that is definitely not the case.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dan Didio posted:

I remember really enjoying Resident Evil: Dead Aim, but I'm not sure how warranted that is because I also remember it looking alright and after a quick youtube, that is definitely not the case.

Dead Aim is actually fun to play if and only if you have a light gun for the PS2. I did, because I bought it for Time Crisis. If you do not, it's a terrible game. If you do, it's actually a pretty fun (and extremely memorably dumb) light gun shooter.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I played it through with a light gun, I also played through.... Vampire... something or other around the same time. I had a really awesome Desert Eagle lightgun that was sold back then.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I didn't even realise that was a thing, that's loving fantastic attention to detail and keeping things fair, Capcom.
:golfclap:

Fire interrupts grab animations. It's also excellent for the G's in the sewers for the same reason. With Claire if I can't easily get around them they get a flame round to the face and they're effectively neutered.

I finally got my Claire A Hardcore S+ last night, at 2:14 using that GamingWithAPanda LP. Even with his 'mistakes' and backtracks, I only finished about 10 minutes behind him and that was with getting almost everything in the game. Even for a casual like me, the game is really well laid out and it really highlighted how often I saved when I never really needed to. All my S runs averaged like 12-15 saves, but really my only question mark fight is Crane Birkin.

I need to take a break from the game for a bit before working on Leon S+...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You can play Dead Aim with a USB mouse plugged into the PS2 also.

Controller is definitely the worst way to play it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dan Didio posted:

I played it through with a light gun, I also played through.... Vampire... something or other around the same time. I had a really awesome Desert Eagle lightgun that was sold back then.

Vampire Night, probably.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Discendo Vox posted:

Vampire Night, probably.

I remember that my brother grabbed this along with some lightguns for the last gasps of our final oldschool TV.

And how one of the many confusing parts was "Wait, if they dramatically let the sunrise kill them because they were vampires all along. Why didn't they explode when the game starts with them shooting vampires in the middle of the day?"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Mod all of the molded out of RE7 and replace them with RE2 zombies and you instantly would have a better game. Also remove the boat section.

Agreed, I mean you could even justify it in "canon" by having the zombies be people the Bakers killed. Or... maybe not "replace" but have them alongside the other molded, like have molded that are just dead corpses with a little bit of the black stuff on them, regular non-molded zombies, and even Crimson-Head-esque corpses with long molded claws.

And then even mix it up further by having themed enemies in different parts, like Marguerite's section could have some giant moths or spiders, Lucas could have regular zombies wired with explosives that blow up if you either shoot them or get grabbed, etc.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I think I remember reading that zombies were a part of RE7 at an early stage of development. There was a mechanic that would you have to hold your breath to hide from them or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wouldn't be resident evil if there weren't a bunch of iterations that never made it