Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

The amount of rage people have on the storefront thing is kind of mind blowing to me.

It's not that huge deal and people are acting like 4a and epic raped their dog and killed their mom.

And it's not like Valve is a pristine benevelolent entity either.

I loved all metro game and am excited to get to play this one when I get home tonight.

Yeah, I bought it on the egs and it seems fine to me. No fps indicator but I fixed that with rivatuner. Great game so far. The atmosphere is some of the best I've ever seen. Had a weird bug where buttons were double pressing for me but a restart fixed it. It definitely needs a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One more stupid question. Do I need an upgrade to use the zip lines? I found a zip line leading to where I need to go and it’s the first one I’ve found, but I’m not getting any prompts to interact with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

One more stupid question. Do I need an upgrade to use the zip lines? I found a zip line leading to where I need to go and it’s the first one I’ve found, but I’m not getting any prompts to interact with it.

Yes. But you can also use a boat before you get the zip line thing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I read there’s some pretty bad dead zone/controller lag on consoles. Is this just a ps4 issue, or do you all on Xbox have the same problem? That kind of problem can really muck up an otherwise good time.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Caidin posted:

This game is pulling a fast one with its resource scarcity I think. During a train segment between one region and the next my material stockpile seems to have evaporated slightly. I had over 1000 parts and 800 chemicals and now less the half that.

Story justification is while on the field your resources are yours but on the train between areas they go into the pool of resources for train and person upkeep.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I read there’s some pretty bad dead zone/controller lag on consoles. Is this just a ps4 issue, or do you all on Xbox have the same problem? That kind of problem can really muck up an otherwise good time.

I’m on PS4 and id be shocked if it was any different on xbone tbh. I’m not gonna sugar coat it, the controls don’t feel great. It’s playable though. Not game ruining but I sure wouldn’t mind if it felt more natural. It’s reminding me a lot of Prey on console as far as controls are concerned atm.

The game is really fun so I kind of don’t give a poo poo though.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
They expect you to use autoaim liberally anyway, it's not so much a shootmans game as an adventure game in which you shoot various things, some of which happen to be mans

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing this on the X and it is gorgeous. I dig the poo poo out of it after the intro. Like Metro and Stalker had a baby.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've had the metal detector gadget equipped for a while but I mostly forgot about it because it's too hard to see on my wrist. But then at one point it actually started beeping when I got close to loot, which made it ten times as useful! But then it stopped doing that and now it's useless again.

Any idea how to get the thing to beep consistently?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I am on console and I haven't really had any control issues after I just turned auto aim off. The auto aim is too severe and ruins your actual aim.

So far I am digging the game, almost done with the first big area now I think I have most things done. Only complaint is monsters respawn in the same spots and its super annoying because they just drain your ammo. No human enemies respawn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish that your comrades would light any enemies up that you can get to follow you to the train instead of the enemies just running off.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Caidin posted:

This game is pulling a fast one with its resource scarcity I think. During a train segment between one region and the next my material stockpile seems to have evaporated slightly. I had over 1000 parts and 800 chemicals and now less the half that.

You get directly told by your quartermaster that he will periodically requisition parts and chemicals from all the fighters to maintain the train and their armor and gear.

This is dialogue I stumbled into, it is not mandatory and can easily be over shadowed by other dialogue given when he first said it to me (Immediately after a massive gun battle.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol Anna’s VA just totally gives up on trying to do a Russian accent every now and then.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol Anna’s VA just totally gives up on trying to do a Russian accent every now and then.

Yeah it's pretty funny.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Evil Canadian posted:

No human enemies respawn.

This is not true. The bandit tower in the first area respawned when I went back there to use the zipline to go to the port to get my boat. It wasn't fully respawned, only like 4 or 5 guys, but there were definitely no breathing bandits in that area when I departed the first time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s only like 5 there the first time too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Triarii posted:

Any idea how to get the thing to beep consistently?

From what I've read, that is actually a bug caused by loading a new area. :v:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

The Locator posted:

This is not true. The bandit tower in the first area respawned when I went back there to use the zipline to go to the port to get my boat. It wasn't fully respawned, only like 4 or 5 guys, but there were definitely no breathing bandits in that area when I departed the first time.

Oh? Then maybe their respawn is set to a much longer time than monsters. I have def walked by places I have cleared with humans and they were still all quite dead, versus the same howler monsters(watchmen I think?) keep spawning between the train and the sleep-shack in the first map over and over everytime i cross by.

Seri
Sep 29, 2013
Am I the only one bothered by the footsteps of Artyom?

also

Is the section where you capture the trader captain supposed to be at night? I ended up having to do it during the day, and sneaking during the daytime is next to impossible with that many enemies. Ended up saying screw it, getting as far as I could, and just sprinting to where the captain was before anyone died on both sides.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
This game looks really interesting, but I don't think I'll buy it before it's back on Steam. So see you guys in a year, I guess?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This is the first Metro game that I'm actually really enjoying, and holy gently caress does it look nice with raytracing enabled. It's kinda what I always wanted from the Stalker games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smol posted:

This game looks really interesting, but I don't think I'll buy it before it's back on Steam. So see you guys in a year, I guess?

You can buy it now on the Epic store for $10 off FYI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fallom posted:

You can buy it now on the Epic store for $10 off FYI

Only in USA :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

There’s only like 5 there the first time too.

Could have sworn there were more the first time, but you could certainly be right. I just felt like the 2nd time I expected more guys but there weren't any.

Found a gatling gun... not a fan. I think the AK is just straight up better in every way, but maybe the gatling has a use later in the game vs. very heavily armored targets (like the guy who I got the gatling from).

Speaking of which, how should I deal with that super heavy armored dude? He was a silly bullet sponge and I ended up killing him with fire (literally - molotov's) as from what I could tell, my bullets did nothing to him, and I tried aiming for what looked like unarmored spots like his face or the sides of his legs, but.. nada...

The lower price than I expected when I went to buy the game was a very pleasant surprise!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a non PC gamer, can someone explain to me why people would rather wait a year to play a game they want, than use a different storefront? I can understand being annoyed by it but it sounds like a 2 minute inconvenience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At this point I'm kind of inclined to stop exploring freely and follow the objectives, and then once I hit the presumed point of no return (hopefully the game tells me) I'll check out whatever places the story doesn't take me to. Just doing my own thing and dicking around is proving to be way too much of a waste of resources that doesn't pay off nearly as much as it costs.

That bench on the train that always has clean guns is a godsend though. Cleaning my guns felt like such a massive, but necessary waste of supplies. The only thing that sucks though, is that the only "heavy" gun I have is the pea shooter, and it's never clean at that bench since I can't switch it out for another gun at that bench. Which seems like an oversight that can cost a lot parts at each visit.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 17, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

As a non PC gamer, can someone explain to me why people would rather wait a year to play a game they want, than use a different storefront? I can understand being annoyed by it but it sounds like a 2 minute inconvenience.

Stubbornness? I dunno, I had no particular issue with the Epic store, but I'd already signed up for it in order to pre-order The Division 2, so it really wasn't any harder than using Steam. I do know some people have been having payment issues with Epic not accepting their CC.

I'll admit it would be nice to have all my games in a single portal, but if I felt like it I think I could link this game to Steam so that it was in my Steam library anyway. I will say that I felt like the Epic download rate was slower than a typical Steam download rate, but I didn't really do a comparison at the same time so that could just be in my head.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Hey, I'm a PC gamer and also don't understand it!

I mean, there are specific cases like someone who plays exclusively with the big picture mode in the tv or want to try to run the game in Linux that I could get it, but otherwise...

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Gunder posted:

This is the first Metro game that I'm actually really enjoying, and holy gently caress does it look nice with raytracing enabled. It's kinda what I always wanted from the Stalker games.

I really hoped but still underestimated the amount of visual immersion Raytracing adds here. The 2080Ti pushes fps on Ultra settings and RTX on at 1440p way beyond 100 fps in some segments, so the feared brutal fps loss is not happening.
Funnily the internal Ultra Benchmark with RTX on at 1440p end with like 62 fps, but ingame fps are way higher, which is good.

The postapocalyptic atmosphere is great and Metro native. The open world outdoor stuff does not collide with the „theme“.

Oh and you want to play that on a SSD.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 17, 2019

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean, there are specific cases like someone who plays exclusively with the big picture mode in the tv

For the record you can buy it on epic and just launch it through steam to use fps counter/big picture/whatever

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Caidin posted:

Uh, turns out that one is actually explained.

veni veni veni posted:

because it might not be a 2 minute inconvenience. Security breaches happen all the time, the more places you have your data, the more likely you're going to get hosed. EPIC already had 2 or 3 major ones. And even if that doesn't happen. If you don't use a storefront frequently, it will forget your login, maybe you forget about it and don't have access to your email a year or two later and boom, have fun dicking around for 3-8 weeks with customer "support" and completely strip just to prove that one account you only have the name of is actually yours.

There already are almost 10 different storefronts (Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, Microsoft and depending if you'd add them Humble, GOG, Discord, Itch.io, probably even forgetting one) for "games as a service" - not to mention if you play both console and PC or want to play some MMO. This is hardly any good for the consumer. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Discoverability, usability... all these issues that Steam is constantly (and mostly rightfully) poo poo upon aren't solved by any of the others.

I don't know if Epic deals are really that good for the game makers, time will tell (in this case for example it's a classic publisher deal, so who knows if 4A games actually gets more money out of it or just Deeps Silver/Koch Media?) - I sure hope so and think that particular thing is really good and benefitial, because especially Steam really doesn't do anything to deserve 30% no matter what. But yeah, it's not really good otherwise just from a pure consumer pov imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a pretty awful Metro game but a pretty good STALKER game so I guess that it's a wash? The resource scarcity seems pretty well balanced so far, although I have been intentionally going during the day so I hit bandits rather than monsters because fighting monsters is always a losing proposition.

I do like the one soldier on the team that has a very clear Midwestern american accent though. NATO SPY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The NPC conversations in this game all go on for an awkwardly long time. It's hilarious how often they'll get to a natural stopping point and then somehow keep going for another few minutes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Adding to the alternate store discussion: I'll tag myself as someone waiting until Steam has it. I'm not gonna like boycott or anything or complain and review bomb. But I do like having everything in one launcher. Steam has most everything I bought. Uplay has my Far Cry 3 and some random AssCreeds I ended up with, but I still launch them through Steam. Origin has my EA games but I basically only use it for Battlefield. And for BF3 and 4 I used the browser anyways so I totally forgot Origin was even running. Plus all the breaches from Epic is troubling, I tried Fortnite a little bit when it started to get big and still randomly get emails about accessing my account.

If Metro were only on Epic I'd begrudgingly get it but as it stands I'll just wait, I still have plenty of newish stuff to get around to

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You should buy things on the Epic store specifically to avoid giving money to Valve, and because Epic takes less of a cut than when you buy something on Steam.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

drat, the desert just brought my framerate 15-20 fps down to 30, sometimes less :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there some way to get the question marks on the map to change into something or go away? For example, there is some train wreckage right by the aurora south of the tracks and Artyom marked it with his binoculars when I looked at it, but I can't find anything worthwhile there, and the question mark remains even if I'm standing right over it. Does that mean I need to find something to interact with there?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

is there some way to get the question marks on the map to change into something or go away? For example, there is some train wreckage right by the aurora south of the tracks and Artyom marked it with his binoculars when I looked at it, but I can't find anything worthwhile there, and the question mark remains even if I'm standing right over it. Does that mean I need to find something to interact with there?

Yeah. As soon as you find all interactive items (depending on the location) the icon should change. Unless it's a bug.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
GTX 1070
i7 8700 stock
8GB RAM
SSD

Game runs surprisingly well on High @ 1440p, tessellation, and advanced PhysX checked. Lowest sustained FPS is at 50 so far. Goes up pretty high in underground areas. There’s probably still some more settings to fidget with, but I’m impressed it plays nicely. I want to see if there’s any noticeable difference between medium and high, because FPS in the 70-80 range feels nice when I get it.

e: also surprised that 8GB still holds up here. I tend not to multitask while gaming, maybe I’ll be tabbing to steam chat or discord chat, but not much else. I legitimately thought I’d have to upgrade to 16gb for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I never quite got on with the Metro games before, but I'm enjoying this so far. It's very STALKER-y once it finally puts you in the game proper.

Subtitles do seem a bit wonky though

quote:

Anna: (Coughs)