Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

New Jack had a ton of charisma and a compelling promo style that he was much more than the music. Watch the promos he did from Harlem or the subway.

The OJ promo is especially amazing to me.
https://youtu.be/mN5ao6_-QB0

Hear that crowd as they realize what he said. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

TTBF posted:

Literally one of the best promos of all time.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TTBF posted:

oh wow thats just amazing

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its not sacrilege its true monsoon sucked.

You shut your whore mouth. Monsoon and Ventura were awesome together.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

shiksa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KW5kj_6jSU

new jack and mustafa were really good in smoky

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has anyone ever looked at footage of famous referees and timed their three count down to the millisecond to see who's the most accurate ref of all time

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Low Desert Punk posted:

has anyone ever looked at footage of famous referees and timed their three count down to the millisecond to see who's the most accurate ref of all time

Weirdly enough, averaged out over his lifetime, it's Tirantes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

This is my favorite New Jack promo, promoting the XPW reunion show from 2008 of all things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6nrYxAiBg

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Was Big Bossman a good wrestler? He was such a fixture of the Attitude Era but never a top guy and I can't remember a single memorable match he had except the one against Big Show for WWF Title. Even that isn't memorable for the match itself but for the hilariously over-the-top villainy of the feud and also for when Big Show kipped up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

Was Big Bossman a good wrestler? He was such a fixture of the Attitude Era but never a top guy and I can't remember a single memorable match he had except the one against Big Show for WWF Title. Even that isn't memorable for the match itself but for the hilariously over-the-top villainy of the feud and also for when Big Show kipped up.

You don't remember the Dog Kennel match against Al Snow.

Anyway, Bossman was a good, entertaining big man. If you like big boys who are surprisingly agile, Bossman should be up your street.

Personally though, I'll always mostly love him for being involved in a match on WCW Saturday Night against Mr JL (I think) where he went to attack him with a weapon and picked up a bike, giving us Dusty excitedly shouting one of the most memorable lines in commentary, "HE'S GOT A BICYCLE"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

In the 80's and early 90's he was really good. During Attitude Era WWE, his spot in the Coropration was "Heel that absolutely nobody will cheer".

His matches with Hogan from the 80's are real good. He also had a fun run in AJPW before signing with WCW.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hated him when I was a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s so he definitely did his job that way since I liked 95% of the roster, face or heel. He was a surprisingly quick and athletic worker for a guy his size, especially when he was heavier in the 80s/early 90s, and he was great at portraying himself as a threat.

2:20 in this video to see him move around a little, although the whole match is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fApSzZLQ7KI

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Bossman was pretty good, but he was amazing as a heel in the Attitude era.

He was what all other wrestling heels should aspire to be.

He brought being an rear end in a top hat heel to heights not seen before or since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bossman was as good as baron corbin is now, though he was more physically imposing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The most recent Ice Ribbon show had a triple threat main event with a first to two falls stipulation where it was basically a series of singles matches and if someone got pinned, she got replaced by the third woman in the match. It worked really well. Has anyone ever done that before?

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Bossman was pretty good, but he was amazing as a heel in the Attitude era.

He was what all other wrestling heels should aspire to be.

He brought being an rear end in a top hat heel to heights not seen before or since.

Yeah i think the thing was that he was not trying to be a cool heel or a chicken poo poo heel. He was just a rear end in a top hat being a dick.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bossman's slide under the ropes/throat thrust spot is so fast and smooth and you don't really think of it as an awesome spot until you think of how big he is. Dude could seriously move for his size. I even like his white boy kung fu stuff, especially when he broke it out against Flair in the '92 Rumble. Had pretty good matches with Hogan even, during his period of total dominance.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Boss Man vs Road Dogg at the 99 Rumble is a decent brawl. I love the way Boss Man catches people in the Sidewalk Slam. Anybody remember that weird run he had teaming with Booker T in 2002?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cavauro posted:

bossman was as good as baron corbin is now, though he was more physically imposing.

bossman was the first person i saw do corbins "slide out at the corner, slide back in and clothesline", maybe he was the first to do it?

anyway it was hella impressive for such a big guy, especially during the attitude era. also yeah he was extremely good at being a total dick, i hated him as a kid. will never forgive bossman for pepper.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shiksa posted:

bossman was the first person i saw do corbins "slide out at the corner, slide back in and clothesline", maybe he was the first to do it?

anyway it was hella impressive for such a big guy, especially during the attitude era. also yeah he was extremely good at being a total dick, i hated him as a kid. will never forgive bossman for pepper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LdKw2GzJs

Still the funniest thing I've ever seen on a pro wrasslin' show.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Bossman (in the attitude era) was the perfect midcard enforcer for a big heel faction like the Corporation and I hated him in the exact way you want a 9 year old to hate a wrestling bad guy

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
bossman would still be an OK big guy today if completely transplanted. he was good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he had some good rear end throat thrust strikes

strikes are not done well in this day and age, unless they are crazy kicks.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i miss the big men. i miss bam bam. i miss bossman. i miss vader

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Me and my edgy shitlord teen friends cheered the hell out of big bossman towing coffins and cooking dogs

E: his poem about big show’s dad is lowkey one of my top ten Raw moments ever

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

MotU posted:

i miss the big men. i miss bam bam. i miss bossman. i miss vader

Who do you wish ate more?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i dont want them to get bigger theyre perfect the way they were

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didnt know friar ferguson was dead, because i didn't remember he was the bastion booger. rest in peace friar

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I want Chris Hero to get fatter, ideally

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
my dad once saw bam bam bigelow in a quik chek in NJ and my dad told him i was a huge fan and he offered to sell my dad an autograph but my dad told him he couldnt afford it (we were super poor) so bam bam signed his quik chek receipt for him instead. i sitll have it somewhere but its put away with all my dads stuff

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
it may seem like a cheap thing to do but to me it was way more authentic

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wonder if he signed the receipt like, "this receipt is proof you aren't poor and you lied to me and i'm calling you out" but probably not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It is canon that the entire time Bam Bam was signing, he was scouting his surroundings and ready to do a forward roll in case any trouble kicked off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

It is canon that the entire time Bam Bam was signing, he was scouting his surroundings and ready to do a forward roll in case any trouble kicked off.

Didn't Bam Bam save some kids from a fire, and the injuries from that led to the pain pill habit that killed him? :smithcloud:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My uncle was working at an arena, cleaning up after a show when he was dwarfed by a massive shadow. He turned around and there was Andre the Giant.

"Have a beer with me, Friend."

"Well, I'm work-"

:stare: "Have a beer with me, Friend."

-

My uncle had beers with Andre the Giant.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 17, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Didn't Bam Bam save some kids from a fire, and the injuries from that led to the pain pill habit that killed him? :smithcloud:

I tried to look this up and can only find vague listicle style reports and that they mentioned it on Nitro, are there any actual news articles or etc about it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

I tried to look this up and can only find vague listicle style reports and that they mentioned it on Nitro, are there any actual news articles or etc about it?

https://web.archive.org/web/20070220063114/http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12530023&BRD=2228&PAG=461&dept_id=447976&rfi=6

There's an interview with him.

Bam Bam posted:

I was coming home from Japan on an ECW trip. It was about 3:30 a.m. and I was turning onto my block and I realized there was a fire. I heard kids crying and I went through the door and the whole upstairs was on fire. I had to run through a wall in the house. I ran through a built wall ... two-by-fours and everything, so I could get to the back way to get up the stairs. I landed right in a ball of fire. It was the best move I made. When I finally made it upstairs, I grabbed the three kids and came back through the same fire and now I was on fire. By the time I came down, the front stairs were down, so we would have died if we went that way. The mom had been out drinking and left the kids alone. She was a single mother. The kids were five, eight, and nine. They started a fire somehow. I did what anybody would have tried to do. I burned 40 percent of my body with second-degree burns and spent almost two months in the hospital.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

:allears:
Majestic.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bam Bam didn't control the flips, the flips controlled him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takuan posted:

:allears:
Majestic.

Bam Bam vs Vader main eventing Starrcade is a match I didn't know I wanted to see until now.