Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wanna know more about Aizawa's previous apprentice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Turns out it's the last Todoroki. Two birds one stone!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Carlosologist posted:

I wanna know more about Aizawa's previous apprentice

Who, you mean the guy Present Mic was talking about? I don't think that was a previous apprentice, I think that was the classmate we saw in this one panel flashback from last week's chapter:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't believe Midnight has a gang of boys she can call on whenever she needs to kidnap girls off the streets

What the hell is the Vigilantes manga?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Vigilantes turned Midnight into "What if Mineta was a woman but also a cryptid?"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't believe Midnight has a gang of boys she can call on whenever she needs to kidnap girls off the streets

What the hell is the Vigilantes manga?

She was wilder in her younger days, I guess?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rhonne posted:

I wonder what Mineta is being forced to watch?

This.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SScWv0b1wVg

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Vigilantes has:

+ A smaller cast that we get to know better.
+ Lots of world-building.
+ Pro heroes actually out in the world doing hero stuff, interacting with cops, etc.
+ A guy slowly learning that his lame Quirk is way more useful than he thought.
+ A gigantic guy with no Quirk kicking enormous amounts of rear end who is also a really good dad.
+ A frumpy girl who is secretly a vigilante idol who gives guerilla concerts in the streets.
+ Some proto-backstory for several of MHA's villains.

It's real good, is what I'm saying.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Koichi really is what Deku should have been. Learning to be awesome on your own rather than basically being given an inheritance is way more inspiring to me. He's had to work to be able to handle One For All but it's also a quirk that was basically tailor made to be amazing by several generations of people.

That said it's still one step up from all the "you were destined for this/born into the right gene pool" stuff that's so rampant with heroes of stories. Deku still earned this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Koichi still isn't that good in a fight, but he's great at being a distraction, or bait so others can take down the opponent

The teamwork in Vigilantes is really good

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Koichi is a good boy but he's a wet noodle even compared to Deku.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viridiant posted:

Koichi really is what Deku should have been. Learning to be awesome on your own rather than basically being given an inheritance is way more inspiring to me. He's had to work to be able to handle One For All but it's also a quirk that was basically tailor made to be amazing by several generations of people.

That said it's still one step up from all the "you were destined for this/born into the right gene pool" stuff that's so rampant with heroes of stories. Deku still earned this.

Ehhhh it's kind of a major point that Koichi's quirk is actually bonkers busted broken with a bazillion powerful applications and the only reason it's so limited is that he was browbeaten into not using it. He's had the power all along, he just hadn't been flexing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ehhhh it's kind of a major point that Koichi's quirk is actually bonkers busted broken with a bazillion powerful applications and the only reason it's so limited is that he was browbeaten into not using it. He's had the power all along, he just hadn't been flexing it.

Yeah, but he was special from the beginning rather than handed something really good on a silver platter for nothing. It's much more enjoyable thanks to that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Koichi is a good boy but he's a wet noodle even compared to Deku.

I like him; he feels more confident/mature than most protagonists like that (which kinda makes sense since he's a college student). Like he's kinda dweeby, but in a way that is weirdly self-assured.

Kanos posted:

Yeah I'm actually a little iffy about how great it's been revealed to be. Like, even before all the "flying and shooting force" applications, it was still a really good quirk that was basically a superior version of the quirk Iida/Ingenium have (same speed but able to turn or stop on a dime). He could have still developed it through stuff like realizing he doesn't need to use 3 contact points. That being said, even the enhanced version isn't really better than the quirk of someone like Bakugo or Todoroki, so it's not totally bonkers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, but he was special from the beginning rather than handed something really good on a silver platter for nothing. It's much more enjoyable thanks to that.

It's kind of a central pillar of MHA's early chapters that Midoriya is special, though? He's chosen to receive OfA because of his raw self-sacrificial heroism. He literally flings himself at a villain to try to save Bakugo despite being a quirkless wiener boy while a bunch of pro heroes sit back and personally inspires All Might. It wasn't a matter of him being given something for nothing, and One For All was also entirely worthless to him/actively harmful for a pretty long time.

Midoriya is special but never had the power to really show it. Koichi is special but was browbeaten until he repressed his ability so he never got to show it. Both of them are currently going through a growth period where they have to explore the limits of their abilities for the first time.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I'm actually a little iffy about how great it's been revealed to be. Like, even before all the "flying and shooting force" applications, it was still a really good quirk that was basically a superior version of the quirk Iida/Ingenium have (same speed but able to turn or stop on a dime). He could have still developed it through stuff like realizing he doesn't need to use 3 contact points. That being said, even the enhanced version isn't really better than the quirk of someone like Bakugo or Todoroki, so it's not totally bonkers.

Being as good as Todoroki and Bakugo is pretty insane, given that Todoroki is the result of Ultimate Combat Quirk eugenics and Bakugo is widely regarded as a genius with a "you won the quirk lottery" combat quirk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Being as good as Todoroki and Bakugo is pretty insane, given that Todoroki is the result of Ultimate Combat Quirk eugenics and Bakugo is widely regarded as a genius with a "you won the quirk lottery" combat quirk.

Bakugo's quirk is generally seen as just high tier. It's versatile, it's powerful, but it's not like Todoroki's where the quirk alone makes someone a sure winner.

Bakugo is just really good at using it. If it wasn't for everyone's favorite lovely nerd, he'd be the underdog success story.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think genius (good smarts, insane battle sense) with a powerful-but-not-fully-broken quirk makes for an underdog.

Like, the dude did get put into a frog-in-a-well situation when he first arrived at UA, but that was pretty brief, and before that he was the upper... dog? Whatever the opposite of underdog is. Everyone told him he was hot poo poo to the point where it gave him literal brain damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Bakugo's quirk is generally seen as just high tier. It's versatile, it's powerful, but it's not like Todoroki's where the quirk alone makes someone a sure winner.

Bakugo is just really good at using it. If it wasn't for everyone's favorite lovely nerd, he'd be the underdog success story.

Bakugo was considered an enormous prodigy for his entire life due in large part to how incredibly strong his quirk is, to the point where it has adversely affected his development and gave him a brief breakdown when he hit UA and he finally ran into people who could measure up. Like no one in the class has a quirk who compares in raw power and versatility besides Todoroki, Deku, and Momo, and this is at UA which is the hottest poo poo hero school in the country. His power is stronger than a fair number of pro heroes we've had glimpses of.

Literally the only person he could be considered an "underdog" next to is Todoroki, who is so absurdly powerful that he could clown almost the entire class while deliberately ignoring half of his power set.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Bakugo is a top dog.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the real underdog story is mirio, rip lemillion

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

It's kind of a central pillar of MHA's early chapters that Midoriya is special, though? He's chosen to receive OfA because of his raw self-sacrificial heroism. He literally flings himself at a villain to try to save Bakugo despite being a quirkless wiener boy while a bunch of pro heroes sit back and personally inspires All Might. It wasn't a matter of him being given something for nothing, and One For All was also entirely worthless to him/actively harmful for a pretty long time.

this is loving stupid. deku put himself in extra danger when he couldn't do anything to help. while pro heros who actually know what they're doing were trying to not get a child killed. had allmight not been there bakugou and deku probably would have both been dead or they'd have gotten a hero injured because he had no other choice to save them.

and while bakugou was given a bit of a big head because he had a good quirk it's really apparent that he worked hard every day to be a badass while deku complaining about how he had to "work twice as hard as everyone else" sat on his rear end and took notes

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Manatee Cannon posted:

the real underdog story is mirio, rip lemillion

No, that just makes him the real unpowered hero that's gonna rise up and kick poo poo without a quirk.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Elfgames posted:

this is loving stupid. deku put himself in extra danger when he couldn't do anything to help. while pro heros who actually know what they're doing were trying to not get a child killed. had allmight not been there bakugou and deku probably would have both been dead or they'd have gotten a hero injured because he had no other choice to save them.

and while bakugou was given a bit of a big head because he had a good quirk it's really apparent that he worked hard every day to be a badass while deku complaining about how he had to "work twice as hard as everyone else" sat on his rear end and took notes

These are some hot takes to make about a comic with heroism as a central theme.

Doubly so to praise early Bakugou "Go jump off a roof" Katsuki for working hard while ignoring Deku spending 6 months going from normal child to buff beach cleaner, just to have a shot at something that Bakugou took as a given.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mulderman posted:

Bakugo is a top dog.

Oh right that was the word.

My other guess was overdog.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elfgames posted:

It was also loving stupid for Deku to suicide into the giant robot during his entrance test and loving detonate his entire body in the process, but that was also treated as a positive good and got him into UA. Wholly self-sacrificing-to-the-point-of-suicide heroism is treated as a generally positive good in this manga, with multiple characters having defining moments where they put themselves in deadly danger for the good of others on the spur of the moment. Deku's wholly selfless devotion to heroism, embodied by running in to save Bakugo, is explicitly the catalyst that inspires All Might to resolve the situation and is also the character trait that inspires All Might to choose him.

Deku literally spent the entire first arc of the manga from the moment he met All Might busting his rear end building up his body just to qualify at the barest level to even contain One For All. It took months and months to simply get to the basic starting point of "I can kind of use OfA but it explodes my body when I do it". He had to learn how to adjust to a quirk on the fly in a way that no one else had to because they have had their entire lives up to this point to adapt. As a contrast, Bakugo is shown beating up fourth graders with his quirk as a little kid.

Bakugo isn't lazy, but he was gifted with an incredible quirk and inherently good reflexes and combat senses, which is why he could afford to be smugly self-superior until he ran into someone even more gifted than he was.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 19, 2019

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

I wouldn’t call it heroism. His self sacrifice as heroism comes from him fetishizing all-might as the ultimate example of a hero.

Like both Deku and Koichi couldn’t be heroes for one reason or another. Koichi focused his energy on trying to help the world with what he did have. Deku obsessed over heroes instead. Deku could have been bettering the world in small ways but chose not to do so.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I thought everyone was talking about Jojo and was really confused for a while

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mulderman posted:

Bakugo is a top dog.

He is a more aggresive bottom.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Andrast posted:

I thought everyone was talking about Jojo and was really confused for a while

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one.

I was really confused too because the Jojo thread usually doesn't like Koichi very much, yet suddenly everyone was talking wonders of him.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one.

I was really confused too because the Jojo thread usually doesn't like Koichi very much, yet suddenly everyone was talking wonders of him.

He steals. No dignity.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

firrup posted:

I wouldn’t call it heroism. His self sacrifice as heroism comes from him fetishizing all-might as the ultimate example of a hero.

Like both Deku and Koichi couldn’t be heroes for one reason or another. Koichi focused his energy on trying to help the world with what he did have. Deku obsessed over heroes instead. Deku could have been bettering the world in small ways but chose not to do so.
Koichi basically just gave up and decided to pick up trash instead of... Literally anything else. I imagine he could've went for a hero school entrance exam somewhere else.

Midoriya didn't throw himself at the sludge guy because he thought that's what All Might would do, he did it because he saw Bakugou's expression of existential terror and couldn't not try to save him. After his hero told him he couldn't be a hero without a quirk.

I mean, both were dumb decisions but Koichi kinda stopped at the first roadblock despite having clear qualifications to try. It's pretty explicit in both series that fighting crime without a quirk is pretty suicidal. Knuckleduster used to have one himself looks like, and he was mainlining pain killers to do so after he lost his.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

It was also loving stupid for Deku to suicide into the giant robot during his entrance test and loving detonate his entire body in the process, but that was also treated as a positive good and got him into UA. Wholly self-sacrificing-to-the-point-of-suicide heroism is treated as a generally positive good in this manga, with multiple characters having defining moments where they put themselves in deadly danger for the good of others on the spur of the moment. Deku's wholly selfless devotion to heroism, embodied by running in to save Bakugo, is explicitly the catalyst that inspires All Might to resolve the situation and is also the character trait that inspires All Might to choose him.

Well that incident completely demonstrated that he's willing to leap into danger with no means to keep himself from horribly maiming himself and potentially causing a ton of collateral damage in the process so better they admit him so he can maybe some small level of control over it. Plus, Recovery Girl didn't seem that shocked at all so people injuring themselves on the entrance exam probably isn't too rare in the first place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

firrup posted:

He didn't think about All Might at all when he tried to save Bakugo. He sees the terror in Bakugo's eyes and he reacts reflexively, because he absolutely can't not try to help people in need.

Deku couldn't be a hero because he didn't have any powers. He entertained a pathetic forlorn hope that he could somehow be a quirkless hero in a quirk-filled world and was told point blank to his face by his greatest idol that he should give up and become a cop instead. Koichi absolutely could have become a hero, but missed one chance and opted to not try again.

RareAcumen posted:

Well that incident completely demonstrated that he's willing to leap into danger with no means to keep himself from horribly maiming himself and potentially causing a ton of collateral damage in the process so better they admit him so he can maybe some small level of control over it. Plus, Recovery Girl didn't seem that shocked at all so people injuring themselves on the entrance exam probably isn't too rare in the first place.

That's not how anything works? UA is a super exclusive school that rejects people en masse and has expelled entire classes for failing to measure up to standards. They're not going to pity-admit some kid who blows himself up unless they see value in what he brings to the table, which is his completely selfless heroism; he scored a perfect score on the "rescue points" scale, which is graded by a judge panel so it's not like All Might is fixing the numbers.

There were a lot of kids in that test who played it safe and collected points and got rejected in favor of the kid who threw himself into danger at the risk of his own life.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 19, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yea Koichi is kinda accepting of things like that

Speaking of UA being super exclusive - how did Mirio and Sasuke manage to pass the exam if their quirks were basically garbage until internships?

Kild fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 19, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kild posted:

Speaking of UA being super exclusive - how did Mirio and Sasuke manage to pass the exam if their quirks were basically garbage until internships?

Hard work, dedication, and spirit. This is a shonen, actual skill is far less important than those.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kild posted:

The same way people like Mineta and Hagakure did despite their quirks having basically zero application when it comes to physically destroying combat robots.

Hell, Ochako had some combat points and at that point she could barely lift two people and a hunk of metal without immediately barfing, nevermind a fully functional robot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mineta's quirk is extremely well suited to the entrance exam if you consider that just stopping them in their tracks is enough

but yeah it's honestly best not to think too hard about entrance exam logic because a lot of it doesn't make sense, and i don't think horikoshi was really thinking about it much at the time

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

kidcoelacanth posted:

but yeah it's honestly best not to think too hard about entrance exam logic because a lot of it doesn't make sense, and i don't think horikoshi was really thinking about it much at the time

Almost certainly a case of "Here's this cool test" and then "Here's this cool varied group of classmates" without thinking too hard about how each one of them passed it.

Ochako could easily have run around making robots weightless, pushed them thirty feet in the air, and then dropped them on each other, though, if you need a No-Prize-style explanation.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am 90% sure that Ochako got in through rescue points like Deku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Previously assuming that there were more than combat and rescue points, I went back and looked, and no that's all that people were graded on.

Ochako felt bad about Deku saving her since she heard him freaking out trying to find at least one point so she went and asked if they could give him some of hers.