Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Where you seeing that

I saw it on Braddock's Twitter (knowing this spotty record).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1096457948291842049

If they lose this seat, everyone in a leadership position in the HDCC and Bexar Democratic party should resign.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

School taxes stink lower them now and shrink their districts!

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
The bexar Democrats are mostly hampered by their factionalism than their leadership. Although leadership is an aspect of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

The bexar Democrats are mostly hampered by their factionalism than their leadership. Although leadership is an aspect of that.

Wow sounds like a left-of-center organization to me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The raid in Houston where HPD murdered a middle aged couple in their own home gets worse and worse. Initially, HPD stated there was a controlled buy from a CI at the house in question, which is what they used to get the warrant. Now it's come out, that after interviewing *every CI*, none have ever bought drugs from the home that was raided and it seems like the officer made it up. Additionally, the officer had bags of heroin in his own car, so it looks like they were going to frame the couple, except the officer got shot during the raid.

This whole thing is loving insane. At the end it may be a narcotics officer falsified a CI to get a fraudulent warrant to bust down these people's door to frame them as heroin dealers (who knows why) and during the execution of the raid, trigger happy HPD officers shot a bunch of other HPD officers (or the male murder victim was Annie Oakley and managed to shoot 5 cops with 6 shots from a revolver).

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...arrant-reviewed

https://twitter.com/stjbs/status/1096490554815401984

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If this goes like that, Acevedo would pretty much have to resign huh

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Please tell me this poo poo is getting retweeted to Gamaldi. What a pissstain of a man.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Please tell me this poo poo is getting retweeted to Gamaldi. What a pissstain of a man.

This dude (who is a very good follow for Texas/Houston things) is taking Gamaldi to task.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1096498422008430592

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1096502857208082433

Pity seeing Acevedo circle the wagons here after building a rep of going after bad shoot perpetrators at APD. Now he definitely has to go if it turns out like it looks like it turns out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sab0921 posted:

This dude (who is a very good follow for Texas/Houston things) is taking Gamaldi to task.

Hell yeah, I'm a fan of that dude.

Also, apparently Acevedo's promising that they'll put body cameras on entry teams, which seems like it's not really addressing the core issue here, but what would I know?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Body cameras wouldn't have made a lick of difference in this case. They're no answer to falsifying warrants and fabricating CIs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i mean itd answer how HPD shot its own guys

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Body cameras wouldn't have made a lick of difference in this case. They're no answer to falsifying warrants and fabricating CIs.

They'd be able to show that the HPD officers actually shot each other.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i mean itd answer how HPD shot its own guys

Fair enough I am morbidly curious about that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

They'd be able to show that the HPD officers actually shot each other.

I mean I suppose that would be fun to know ...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:yum:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Says the page doesn't exist.

One can only hope, but I'm gonna stay a cynical bastard a little longer.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 15, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sab0921 posted:

This whole thing is loving insane. At the end it may be a narcotics officer falsified a CI to get a fraudulent warrant to bust down these people's door to frame them as heroin dealers (who knows why) and during the execution of the raid, trigger happy HPD officers shot a bunch of other HPD officers (or the male murder victim was Annie Oakley and managed to shoot 5 cops with 6 shots from a revolver).

Maybe he was one of those superpredators left over from the early 90s

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

In spite of some people in this thread's opinion of Acevedo, I haven't had any issue with him as the HPD chief but this is pretty yikes and I hope for his sake it's just him not wanting to throw the department under the bus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

No Safe Word posted:

In spite of some people in this thread's opinion of Acevedo, I haven't had any issue with him as the HPD chief but this is pretty yikes and I hope for his sake it's just him not wanting to throw the department under the bus.

he should throw the department under the bus

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

:yeah:

If he's going to fall on his sword for this, he's got some weird/stupid sense of pride. Other people in your department hosed up, which is bad on you but not ultimately your direct fault. Take the hit but not the blame, IMO.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, it's looking really strong like HPD murdered 2 people and a dog and had intentions of planting drugs on them after the fact. It's time to throw them under the bus as hard and fast as possible.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Time to burn the HPD down to the foundation and build it back up better so that we don't get this kind of poo poo again.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Still just going to end up with a bunch of no necked dipshits enforcing the exact same laws and policies.

Not that they shouldn't be thrown under a metro bus on principle though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Dameius posted:

Time to burn the HPD down to the foundation and build it back up better so that we don't get this kind of poo poo again.

HPD will always be what it is. This is the 2019 version of Jose Campos Torres.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Googled that one. Jesus christ.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

The officers convicted for the death of Torres, at the state level, received minimal sentencing; 1 year probation and a $1 fine.

Well, I guess we can use this incident to see how little much progress has been made.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Googled that one. Jesus christ.

Read the fact pattern on this one next. https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1533550.html

HPD will never change.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

There's no way Beto beats Cornyn (the GOP numbers will improve when the race gets closer) but someone please spam Beto's inbox with this so he runs anyway and helps downballot.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sab0921 posted:

Read the fact pattern on this one next. https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1533550.html

HPD will never change.

Jesus loving christ

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Let's all enjoy something a bit more wholesome.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Let's all enjoy something a bit more wholesome.

who's that? not sure i've seen him before

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/1096928374445039617?s=21

Good setup he’s got here

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

I seriously don't understand how people defend the Republican party anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dalstrs posted:

I seriously don't understand how people defend the Republican party anymore.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1096929797454942208

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Why hasn't Paxton's trial moved along?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sab0921 posted:

iirc it's because of pay disputes with the prosecutors

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

The people in charge of paying the prosecutors happen to be the Collin Co. Commissioner's court which is, well would you look at that, where Paxton's district is. Oh and the reason there's private prosecutors to have to pay in the first place is because the Collin Co. DA had to recuse himself because of his close personal friendship with the Attorney General. So the CCCC tried to screw the private prosecutors (as in pay them the same fee sked as public defenders) and they were like, we'll step down if you don't pay more, and CCCC sued them and it just got adjudicated by the state CoA in November in favor of Paxton because of loving course it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

The people in charge of paying the prosecutors happen to be the Collin Co. Commissioner's court which is, well would you look at that, where Paxton's district is. Oh and the reason there's private prosecutors to have to pay in the first place is because the Collin Co. DA had to recuse himself because of his close personal friendship with the Attorney General. So the CCCC tried to screw the private prosecutors (as in pay them the same fee sked as public defenders) and they were like, we'll step down if you don't pay more, and CCCC sued them and it just got adjudicated by the state CoA in November in favor of Paxton because of loving course it did.
This is ridiculous.

Why do prosecutors get paid more than public defenders anyway?