Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

How does that change anything? Because she didn't explicitly draft a bill saying "let my husband do crimes"? People are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spacebump posted:

This is ridiculous.

Why do prosecutors get paid more than public defenders anyway?

They're private lawyers who got brought in because the public lawyers wouldn't be able to fairly prosecute the case. People at law firms don't work for free

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

corn in the bible posted:

They're private lawyers who got brought in because the public lawyers wouldn't be able to fairly prosecute the case. People at law firms don't work for free

I understand that part, it's wild that they are trying to screw those lawyers over.

I should have phrased my question better. In general why do prosecutors get paid more than public defenders? I noticed this for the first time a few months ago while glancing at salaries for prosecutors/public defenders in Dallas. I would have assumed they would get paid similarly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I understand that part, it's wild that they are trying to screw those lawyers over.

I should have phrased my question better. In general why do prosecutors get paid more than public defenders? I noticed this for the first time a few months ago while glancing at salaries for prosecutors/public defenders in Dallas. I would have assumed they would get paid similarly.

Because the entire system is designed to get convictions

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dalstrs posted:

How does that change anything? Because she didn't explicitly draft a bill saying "let my husband do crimes"? People are idiots.

It's more like, don't let people do the crimes my husband did, in the future.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

It's more like, don't let people do the crimes my husband did, in the future.

How do you get that? It reads to me as "make what my husband did not a crime as long as his office says so"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Marxalot posted:

Let's all enjoy something a bit more wholesome.

Finally, a politician for whom I can relate!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The HD 145 runoff in Houston is pretty fun, as one of like 8 voters that will vote in the runoff, both candidates have knocked on our door personally to win our votes. Living in a district with an extremely low turnout is probably what it feels like to be a big money donor with candidates coming by to kiss the ring.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Finally, a politician for whom I can relate!

I promise that if I somehow run for office, Richard Wolf style, I will be seen at photo ops attempting to eat a corndog in 2 bites.

Sab0921 posted:

The HD 145 runoff in Houston is pretty fun, as one of like 8 voters that will vote in the runoff, both candidates have knocked on our door personally to win our votes. Living in a district with an extremely low turnout is probably what it feels like to be a big money donor with candidates coming by to kiss the ring.

Upside to living in a poorer area in a helldistrict: No block walkers ever :v:

Which is great because I have no clue how to act if some guy tries to tell me to vote for Briscoe Cain becuse he's going to make qanon real and stop planned parenthood from dicing up live children.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Marxalot posted:

Let's all enjoy something a bit more wholesome.

What would be the response if a politician sat down with a phallic-looking food-on-stick and self-conciously ate it with a knife and fork? Trump has almost certainly done this at some point, right?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Jim Crane's ex-wife is having fun on camera slapping people to stop them from doing horrid things like uh, taking pictures of their baby, on the median across the street from their house. I love the note in the article where the neighborhood claims they actually own the median, so they can ban the riff raff from using it.

https://abc13.com/society/confronta...7o_yuwE-XVM8bOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

General Dog posted:

What would be the response if a politician sat down with a phallic-looking food-on-stick and self-conciously ate it with a knife and fork? Trump has almost certainly done this at some point, right?

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

There's no way Beto beats Cornyn (the GOP numbers will improve when the race gets closer) but someone please spam Beto's inbox with this so he runs anyway and helps downballot.

I wonder how far Beto on the ticket as VP takes the (D) party in TX2020 and how much it would hurt them in other states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1097683661342810112

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh gently caress no you don't get to lean in to this you sawed off little gently caress

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1097968529335304193

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

I wonder how far Beto on the ticket as VP takes the (D) party in TX2020 and how much it would hurt them in other states.

I don't know why he'd especially hurt the ticket anywhere, I think he's the platonic ideal of handsome, vapid running mate.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

General Dog posted:

I don't know why he'd especially hurt the ticket anywhere, I think he's the platonic ideal of handsome, vapid running mate.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1626498-2,00.html

TIME posted:

The obvious vice-presidential choice, we agreed, was John Edwards; in the primaries, he'd emerged as a first-rate campaigner—and I told Jim that despite thiness on substance, I thought, as I been in 2000, that he could handle Cheney in a debate; We couldn't afford to repeat the Lieberman mistake. But there were two other clear possibilities: Dick Gephardt and Hillary Clinton. Kerry was ready to partner with Clinton if it was the way to win, but he doubted it was. He liked Gephardt, was confident he was up to the job of being president, and hoped he might help carry Missouri, which could make the difference in a close election. But both he and Teresa worried that Gephardt was a gray choice who wouldn't light any fires. While Edwards might, they were both uneasy with him. I'd said to Kerry early on that all I cared about was picking the strongest choice—personal feelings had nothing to do with it.

Johnson had compiled a list of about twenty-five "serious" candidates—and some others besides—and we reviewed it in his living room. In addition to Edwards, Clinton, and Gephardt, it included New Mexico governor Bill Richardson and some "out-of-the-box" choices, like Nebraska's maverick Republican senator Chuck Hagel, a kind of McCain surrogate. Hagel, who I guessed wouldn't accept and didn't know his name was on the list, was a nonstarter because he had a zero rating from the League of Conservation Voters. Richardson's prospects were shadowed by alleged womanizing. Publicly reluctant, he coveted the publicity of being considered, but withdrew before the process was finished.

A quiet round of polling helped guide the search. Hillary Clinton had high negatives—she would hurt the ticket; Dick Gephardt apparently didn't help in Missouri—in fact, Edwards's numbers were decidedly stronger there. When I heard this, I should have questioned whether the numbers actually reflected the ultimate impact of a Gephardt pick. As Kerry's running mate, Gephardt's campaigning and the institutional forces in Missouri might have given us a chance in the state, and he might have boosted us a little in Ohio, maybe just enough. But the process was evolving to where it had started—perhaps not in Kerry's mind, but in the conventional wisdom and the will of the Democrats across the country. When I handed Johnson a memo about advertising to be rolled out right after the choice was announced, I included a contingency for "a VP selection... from outside the present battleground states." Johnson and I both knew that meant North Carolina—and Edwards—

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rock on dude

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Beto going all in on the failed politician who makes millions off of speaking fees, I see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Literally every candidate save Bernie will call themselves that but it'd be cool if the Punk Rock Guy didn't as well. Anyway, as ever, he should run for Senate.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
"Good, for Texas" continues to ring out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like the iron isn't so hot for him anymore, the field is already choked with candidates, he'd be running in the Bernie lane anyway and there's no room for him there, like who is telling him that this is the year? There will be other presidential elections bro.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

zoux posted:

Seems like the iron isn't so hot for him anymore, the field is already choked with candidates, he'd be running in the Bernie lane anyway and there's no room for him there, like who is telling him that this is the year? There will be other presidential elections bro.
Would being an also-ran in the primary improve the chances of being a VP pick this cycle? Is there any reason to think he's lining up for that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the eventual candidate wants to try for Texas, is the only reason you put him on the ticket imo, and then it doesn't matter if he ran or not. He's president focused because literally every Democrat, elected or not, is. That's just how it works on this side.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hawkline posted:

Would being an also-ran in the primary improve the chances of being a VP pick this cycle? Is there any reason to think he's lining up for that?

That or possibly a cabinet job? If his options are that or likely become a twice loser at the hands of Cornyn, an also-ran gig for two years while maybe lining up to take a shot at governor in 2022 isn't the worst idea, though that's not the most ideal year for it. But if Abbot term limits himself (don't know), who do we suspect may try for the GOP spot? Patrick? Another Bush? One of the numerous garbage US house reps?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

But if Abbot term limits himself (don't know),

lol

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That answers that I guess

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I’m having a hard time envisioning any outcome other than Crenshaw running for Senate or Governor in the near future. If GOP voters in TX will pick Abbott, Patrick and Cruz, no way they won’t go ape for an eyepatch wearing pirate/SEAL.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's kinda who I had in mind when I was thinking about congresspeople, but really I'm not sure he has the chops. If that SNL idiot hadn't raised his profile, we'd all probably barely know who he is. All he's done with the increased attention he got is show that he's not particularly smart or adept at politicking.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

That's kinda who I had in mind when I was thinking about congresspeople, but really I'm not sure he has the chops. If that SNL idiot hadn't raised his profile, we'd all probably barely know who he is. All he's done with the increased attention he got is show that he's not particularly smart or adept at politicking.

Do Abbott or Patrick strike you as particularly smooth or adept, or just shouting bog standard right wingism? Chops aren’t really needed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

We make fun of Abbott a lot (rightfully so) but he's got pretty good political instincts. Patrick is more the openly frothing attack dog.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
In no particular order, the clown car would most likely include

George P Bush
Chip Roy
Donna Campbell
Michael McCaul
Dan Crenshaw

Comedy option: Joe Straus does something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isk posted:

We make fun of Abbott a lot (rightfully so) but he's got pretty good political instincts. Patrick is more the openly frothing attack dog.

Patrick is extremely politically savvy. Abbott is actually the less formidable of the two, the narrative last session was Abbott hiding away in his office while Dan rampaged through the statehouse.

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1098298892381229058

Made up voter fraud list continues to go extremely well

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 20, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"I just don't understand how it all went so wrong!"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Interesting, always thought Patrick was riding the coattails of Fox News sentiment and would eventually burn out. More to consider.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isk posted:

Interesting, always thought Patrick was riding the coattails of Fox News sentiment and would eventually burn out. More to consider.

Nah, he's dangerous.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You don't make it that far with that little charisma without being fairly capable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1098321053040939013

Excellent.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Do Abbott or Patrick strike you as particularly smooth or adept, or just shouting bog standard right wingism? Chops aren’t really needed.

Abbott's campaign ads were masterclass in empty positive platitudes. He might suck but he's not bad at the whole being elected part of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/stjbs/status/1098351671355363334

Ruh roh