Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fallom posted:

The NPC conversations in this game all go on for an awkwardly long time. It's hilarious how often they'll get to a natural stopping point and then somehow keep going for another few minutes.

It gives the impression that Artyom is some sort of megastar and all these people are so star struck that they are just blabbing out whatever comes to mind. It's not that, and I usually walk away from convos, but it's fun to think of it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just pretend that even though I can't hear Artyom, he's actually asking questions constantly like some kind of multiple-concussion dimwit, and we're only hearing the answers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After playing most of the first area now, I think resources are actually balanced pretty well. The first hour or 2 feel pretty dire, but it's actually balanced pretty well so you are never up poo poo creek or so saddled with resources that it ruins the tension. Even the gun cleaning, which I hated at first is actually a pretty cool mechanic that adds to the weight of scarcity.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CJacobs posted:

You should buy things on the Epic store specifically to avoid giving money to Valve, and because Epic takes less of a cut than when you buy something on Steam.

Yes, fight Steams monopoly by giving money to the anti-consumer storefront that leverages bought exclusivity instead of actually competing with Steam.

Do I think Valve could do with a lower cut? Sure. Do I think Epic is the solution? Nope.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

CuddleCryptid posted:

I do like the one soldier on the team that has a very clear Midwestern american accent though. NATO SPY

According to the diary, Sam is a former US Marine who happened to be in the Metro when the bombs fell.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

instead of actually competing with Steam.

That's still competition

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Just got this game and holy poo poo it looks incredible on one x, it isn't as good as running it on an rtx 2800 but its still great for a console. I do love how depressingly realistic the setup to the story is. The whole "block all radio communications to Moscow because the war is still on" bit is exactly what I would imagine a paranoid cold war era military would operate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm getting the railcar back to the group atm and goddamn I am in love with this game. It just nails all the minutia and curated content of a linear game while feeling like an open world game, that also doesn't bog it down with icon hunts and hand holding. This is undoubtedly gonna be on my GOTY short list.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Magmarashi posted:

That's still competition

Fine, competing by offering something of equal or better value for money spent.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Spring map: I picked up the extra ammo straps and then the game crashed, so I lost it. Where is it hidden?

A clean, better made Kalash can be found behind the Aurora, in a house to the west surrounded by Shrimps.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Fine, competing by offering something of equal or better value for money spent.

You don't get the video game you buy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pretty sure gamers just like being mad at stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Oh god the spiders in the dark...

Pro-tip for spider haters:

The incendiary rounds from your air gun are awesome and rule for these bastards

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I'm getting the railcar back to the group atm and goddamn I am in love with this game. It just nails all the minutia and curated content of a linear game while feeling like an open world game, that also doesn't bog it down with icon hunts and hand holding. This is undoubtedly gonna be on my GOTY short list.

So much. I did expect something, but definitively not a universe of post nuclear russian fantasy that does so many things so well. I just made it out of the spider bunker. It was night when I resurfaced, barley had ammo and no health packs and tried to look if one of the upcoming question marks was a hideout. Sadly the 2nd one was a Batman nest, and he wasn't happy about a late visitor. As I shot it, the bandit camp from like 300m away woke up and started shooting at me.

As I stopped shooting and seeking cover, Batman turned towards them because they were now the noise source. They took him down and lost track of me so I could sneak kill them. The stealth is really awesome. They don't have a hive mind and if you break their LoS and don't make sound, they don't know where you are. This is so much better with the open world now as in the narrow tunnels of Moscow. And the visuals... holy gently caress. They're not even just a show-off. The fact that you can see shadows smoothly rendered from far away enemies, or see their headlights in the dark as well as their cone of light so you can make out where they're facing is just marvelous.

some impressions so far (without raytracing and stuff though, extreme preset, dx11)

A few more:
https://imgur.com/a/TqdlqUq

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The visuals are fantastic. The thunderstorm in the distance in the first area, and then the dust storm on the horizon in the desert... just amazing. The fact that I can get 80fps+ sustained in the resolution I run is shocking to me, but I love it.

Raytracing would be awesome, but I'm not popping for a 2080 anytime soon.

Did get a nice gift that's unlikely to help with this game though (since the GPU is pinned at 100% while the i7-6700k has all cores running around 65%), I got a free i7-8700k with only a hundred or so hours on it (owner gifted it to me after upgrading to a 9900) so I ordered a new motherboard and going to upgrade to an M.2 SSD at the same time later this week or on the weekend.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Past the spiders and this game seriously slaps like hell. This is definite GOTY candidate material at this point.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

It gives the impression that Artyom is some sort of megastar and all these people are so star struck that they are just blabbing out whatever comes to mind. It's not that, and I usually walk away from convos, but it's fun to think of it that way.

The problem with that approach is that in previous games you'd get dinged on 'moral points' for not listening to conversations, so now I'm super paranoid about it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

renzollama posted:

The problem with that approach is that in previous games you'd get dinged on 'moral points' for not listening to conversations, so now I'm super paranoid about it.

I lost a member of the team leaving the first area because earlier I might have sort of shot a guy in the head who had surrendered, so there was no peaceful 'exit' solution. I have no idea if that person would now be a member of the team on the train if I'd not killed that guy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wow there is a ton to do this in this game. I'm burning myself out a bit trying to clear all the PoI's off the map before heading back to the Aurora. Steam says I have 7 hours played and I'm still loving around the Volga map.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Same except not burning out at all. I’m not going anywhere on the aurora until every square inch has been explored.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
The ONLY complaint I have about this game is its karma system. I ended up redoing the first chapter completely once I saw the result and figured out how it works; but the whole "Who can I Kill, Who can I not Kill" I wish was easier to tell, especially now that I'm in the second area.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Bought on Friday and just finished today. Super good game, I love it and recommend it to all. Game starts out as a open world after a prolog bit, and get progressively more linear as you go on. Spoiler is the last time the game is truly open world last open world is the desert.. It really reminded me of STALKER: Call of Pripyat in that regard, could even call it a spiritual sequel. Sneaking is still king and makes anything easier, and because of that I would suggest doing things at night if you want to not kill people. Story is great, listening to conversations is probably a third of the game there are so many. The game keeps things fresh throughout. I have absolutely no regrets buying full price.

My PC is getting old. Just a i5 3750 @ 3.4, gtx 970, 16 GB ddr3 ram. I could keep the game on (what the game recommended) ultra at 1080p for the entire first area, had to turn it down to medium for the desert so things would stay stable. Had no crashes entire way through. Still looked amazing even without all the bells and whistles. I had to turn down the motion blur though. "high" is REALLY high.

I would say that in hindsight that doing the story objectives up to getting the mechanic dude in Volga, then going off to explore the map however you see fit for the rest of game is probably the most efficient, as I don't remember anything aside from parts for your air gun are locked behind story.

I missed soooo many collectibles. Files and all postcards aside from 2. And I sure as hell took my time and explored. Gonna need a guide for all that.

edit:

Klisejo posted:

The ONLY complaint I have about this game is its karma system. I ended up redoing the first chapter completely once I saw the result and figured out how it works; but the whole "Who can I Kill, Who can I not Kill" I wish was easier to tell, especially now that I'm in the second area.

This is where subtitles come in handy a lot. Idiots who just don't know better get the E, bandits and thugs get the Q. Though there is one part not even I was too sure on and just sneaked through with just a few knockouts. Does anyone has a knows if the uniformed guys at the sneaking into the oil rig were killable without losing karma?

Broose fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 18, 2019

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Klisejo posted:

It is extremely easy to tell who you can kill and not. Are they armed and deserve to die? Fire away. Did they surrender, have no weapons, or are just defensive people? No killing. Tunnel trash? Murder freely. There I saved you a lot of over thinking the situation.

Never not kill bandits, unless it's an unarmed bandit.

Also spider tips since a lot of people seem to have come into this fresh and not played the other Metro games, flash light + lighter using the L key makes your light source AoE so they won't hit from behind. You can one hand fire weapons and you ~DON'T~ have to shoot spiders, shine enough light on them you get a qte prompt to just finish them.

Or as someone earlier suggested, fire pellets for your Tikhar. Also the Tikhar at over-pressurized is a weapon of mass death, you can kill from a lot further away than you think and it has almost no drop or drift. Don't under estimate your pneumatic weapons they are special category for a reason.

Oh and going even further back to someone asking about heavies, a lot of head shots, or fire are your best options. Basically if it is armored bust out the grenades, fire, or stealth take down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How on earth do you get to that little island with the big crabs on it, on the east side of the first area? There’s no boats on that side. I think there was a boat at one point when I initially rowed to the terminal but I went back there and it’s gone now. I think that is my last point of interest here and it’s driving me nuts.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How is this on console? Does ps4 pro do the raytracing? Just curious.

Also, Sam is Steve Blum, pretty sure. Spike Spiegel... the dude from Bulletstorm... played Wolverine in one of the X-Men shows... that voice he uses was like every third character in every video game for a long rear end time.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

After watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g&t=835s

GOOD GOD. There is no way I'm playing this game until I get a ray-tracing capable card. That will give the game plenty of time to end up on Steam.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Firstborn posted:

How is this on console? Does ps4 pro do the raytracing? Just curious.

Also, Sam is Steve Blum, pretty sure. Spike Spiegel... the dude from Bulletstorm... played Wolverine in one of the X-Men shows... that voice he uses was like every third character in every video game for a long rear end time.

Raytracing is PC exclusive.

I am playing on a RTX2080 and I'm loving the rays.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

pyrotek posted:

GOOD GOD. There is no way I'm playing this game until I get a ray-tracing capable card. That will give the game plenty of time to end up on Steam.

Honestly didn't really know what raytracing was until I watched this video. Man, it looks incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nonetheless it still looks pretty incredible on a PS4 Pro. Some of the large, outdoor environments look close to or as good as Red Dead

If I ever get around to getting a decent gaming PC this will be one of the first games I rebuy though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game is really cool and good. I love the on the fly weapon modding but sometimes I'm really hanging out for a certain part, it would be cool if I could use some scrap to make a long barrel with silencer or whatever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I guess I have to upgrade my computer. It isn’t doing terrible when I’m on the ground or indoors but if I climb anything like the mechanic’s tower in the first area my FPS drops to single digits. Suppose I’ll keep going though and hope I just don’t have to do anything when I’m high in the air :v:

Other than that game is good. Stealth is still ridiculously powerful and if you’re the killing type throwing knives make it even more so. If it’s anything like Last Light where you literally couldn’t kill anybody to see the “best” ending I guess I already hosed that up in the church but oh well. Could have reloaded but eh. Hopefully punching surrendering dudes isn’t considered something horrible!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

pyrotek posted:

I've thought for a while that the next big graphical leap will be in lighting, and I feel like this confirms it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sadly I'm going to have to stop playing this game until they patch it. I've run into a fairly common bug for the 3rd area, which is that my flashlight won't work. After you get to use the car in the desert area, using the F key will control your car's headlights and NOT your own flashlight. This means that some fairly flashlight dependant areas are largely ruined. The only current way to fix this is to get back into the car and toggle the headlights off using the F key, and then get out. Leaving them switched on when leaving the vehicle seems to cause the bug. Unfortunately, I can't access the car in the area I'm currently in, so I'm boned until they fix this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

Well I guess I have to upgrade my computer. It isn’t doing terrible when I’m on the ground or indoors but if I climb anything like the mechanic’s tower in the first area my FPS drops to single digits. Suppose I’ll keep going though and hope I just don’t have to do anything when I’m high in the air :v:

Other than that game is good. Stealth is still ridiculously powerful and if you’re the killing type throwing knives make it even more so. If it’s anything like Last Light where you literally couldn’t kill anybody to see the “best” ending I guess I already hosed that up in the church but oh well. Could have reloaded but eh. Hopefully punching surrendering dudes isn’t considered something horrible!

For what it's worth, I think the mechanic's tower is one of the most demanding areas (performance-wise) you'll encounter that early in the game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, I think the mechanic's tower is one of the most demanding areas (performance-wise) you'll encounter that early in the game.

Definitively not. The entire desert is more demanding as any point in the first area.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haldolium posted:

Definitively not. The entire desert is more demanding as any point in the first area.

Yeah the first area was super smooth all the way through on my 7700k/1080Ti@1440p and as soon as I got to the desert it was chug city.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to install epic games client and all that only to discover that despite never using the service, both of my email addresses had accounts created already.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the platform since they never sent me any emails to confirm my account, and I'm pretty sure that my email accounts aren't compromised because they have really strong unique passwords and 2 factor enabled...

I really don't feel like feeding them my credit card info now.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

Honestly didn't really know what raytracing was until I watched this video. Man, it looks incredible.

The easiest way to describe it is that traditional lighting methods are like painting. If you're really, really good you can come close to simulating the way light falls, but even the masters can't get it perfect. Raytracing is taking a photo with a camera, even if you're really lovely you don't have to worry about the lighting being unrealistic.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

soy posted:

I went to install epic games client and all that only to discover that despite never using the service, both of my email addresses had accounts created already.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the platform since they never sent me any emails to confirm my account, and I'm pretty sure that my email accounts aren't compromised because they have really strong unique passwords and 2 factor enabled...

I really don't feel like feeding them my credit card info now.
yes i've had similar issues. i eventually 'recovered' my account that i don't remember creating. it turns out either someone from thailand made an account with my e-mail address or their back-end is all sorts of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I don't trust Epic because they're partially own by Tencent, a Chinese company notorious for going hand over fist about giving free reign to the Chinese government to view whatever they want. :shrug: