Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hollismason posted:

The book an the movie make clear that Billy repeatedly tried different identities in order to del with the disassociation and dysphoria that was caused by childhood abuse. Some outside force enacted itself on Billy which caused these associations. People who are transgender are born trans there's not a outside force that causes it.

You may be born trans, but that's not the same as knowing you are trans from birth, or even having the vocabulary or opportunity to express that part of yourself. People "come out" as trans at all ages, how does one account for that? And who is to say they've not experimented with various identities, ways of presenting or coping mechanisms in the time leading up to them being able to do so?

Hollismason posted:

I hope that clarifies why he specifically is not transgender. He has multiple mental illnesses caused by trauma. In away he has such strong disassociation and dysphoria ( really a type of disassociation) that he as a way of coping obsessively tries to adopt identities.

That's Hannibals interpretation. It's tempting to take everything he says as fact because he is so charismatic, but I don't think he's an impartial or infallible party in this case. Even if believe that that these are simply the professional opinions on a possibly trans person made by a psychiatrist, that's not very reassuring, then or now.

I think one can read it either way. Trans people (or anyone) have good reason to be upset with the film, and one cannot just explain that away as long as the villain wants to transition.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Didn't Gein do that to "bring his mother back?" Rather than attempt to be/feel female?

Like Neo Rasa said, there's a lot of popular conjecture about Gein (he wasn't a cannibal, for example), so it's hard to map out a "true" version of the reasons behind his crimes. Deviant, the book (which Neo also mentioned), goes into pretty good detail about things, but it's impossible to be 100% of the motives without actually being in Gein's head. The death of his mother did have a profound impact on him, and likely continued to his deteriorating state, but there's not much evidence that he was trying to replace her symbolically. In the police interviews conducted after his capture he does make mention of selecting corpses by the quality of their hair, and there's the whole "mammary vest" thing that Drunkboxer eluded to (google it - or don't!), so there was definitely some kind of gender exploration happening there. But again, he also just had like, heads in bags, and women's lips fastened to blinds so they "kissed" when the blinds were closed. He was a person living deeply in a non-reality. Like Buffalo Bill, whatever trans behaviors Gein exhibited were likely an "also then," rather than the primary motivator (especially when it specifically comes to his murders).

The creepiest detail regarding his mom is that when the police raided his house they found like, human hearts next to the stove and boxes of genitals and all this stuff, and they get up to the second floor and there's a single locked door. And it's like, oh god, what the gently caress is behind this? And they bust it down and... it's Gein's mother's room. Perfectly preserved and completely untouched.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It's not just Hannibal's opinion it's the Doctors at the clinics as well. He's not and to take that read is a bit odd.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

Something to note about this is the extremely large amount of apocryphal anecdotes and news stories regarding Gein that were considered absolute fact well in the early 90s. There's a 1994 ('95?) book called Psycho! that serves as kind of a good compilation of this. Like you can easily see how so many wildly different cinematic killers and stories were inspired by the same person when there was so much already fictional stuff written about him that, for a long time, was considered fact by the average person and even a person doing some light research into Gein. Harold Schechter didn't write Deviant until like 1989 and that was probably the most accurate thing written about Gein at that point.

The one written by Judge Robert Gollmar in '84 was pretty factual but was more focused on the court documentation aspect.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

is there a ringu remake going on or something? kojima tweeted about it

edit: looks like its a 20th aniversary remaster which is still good

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 18, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Pomp posted:

I'll loving shank you botch

LMAO at this poser challenging me with a 2012 reg date. I was posting about castration when you were still obsessed with Goosebump books.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

There's a new Ring movie just called "Sadako" (no direct relation to the "Sadako 3D" Ring movies from a few years ago, I think). It's being released in May in Japan, and is directed by original Ringu director Hideo Nakata. No clue if it's a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, soft seaboot, readaptation of the novel, etc.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Netflix has a Thai horror movie called Shutter, about a young couple who are in a hit and run late one night, and subsequently the man, who’s a photographer, starts having mysterious phantom images appear in his photos when developed. Not bad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, it's quite good. Also one of the few horror films I know with a last-minute twist that actually enriches the narrative instead of serving as a cheap way to provide a final scare.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Has anyone else seen Happy Death Day 2 U yet? I just got back and I gotta say, it was enjoyable enough but even less of a horror movie than the first one and boy the killer mystery was both completely unsatisfying and took the back burner in order to make the rest of the movie a PG-13 campus comedy. The actors are all really great and do their best with the material but man was I hoping they'd do a lot more with the concept of more people going through time loops.

e: Finally seeing the full trailer for Us in a theater was pretty great though and I'm 100% stoked on that. Ma's Place looks good too but it looks like they gave away way too much in the trailer.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 18, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadguy2322 posted:

The word “problematic” is a sign that the speaker should not be taken seriously.

In some cases, yeah.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HDD2U is by no stretch of the definition a horror movie. That being said it is, in fact, decently charming. I liked it a lot but I also liked the first movie so 🤷‍♀️

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NienNunb posted:

HDD2U is by no stretch of the definition a horror movie. That being said it is, in fact, decently charming. I liked it a lot but I also liked the first movie so 🤷‍♀️

Yeah it was real weird because I picked it apart the whole time but couldn't help but enjoy it regardless. I still wish there had been a more satisfying twist to the killer but I guess you can't have everything.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

they're already advertising it at train stations

the panel on the right say to absolutely not use flash when taking a photo, this is what happens

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 18, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

Netflix has a Thai horror movie called Shutter, about a young couple who are in a hit and run late one night, and subsequently the man, who’s a photographer, starts having mysterious phantom images appear in his photos when developed. Not bad.

The ending is so good that even the remake doesn't bungle it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

He was a person living deeply in a non-reality.

This I agree with completely, he was just completely disconnected and out of his mind. What was he like when he was living the rest of his life under watch? I'm surprised there weren't lengthy interviews with him.

married but discreet posted:

Ok so I finally gathered up the spirit to watch Housewife. The thread made me believe that the violence would be beyond Baskin, which was already very unpleasant. Instead it's almost completely tame, what the hell. There's exactly one scene that goes a bit beyond average horror violence. That's good of course, but it makes me wonder if I saw a different/censored movie.

It's also not interesting at all, every good scene is in the initial trailer. Shame.

I love Baskin but I agree, Housewife was pretty weak and overly confusing. I also felt that it over used the whole "The last 5 minutes have been in the character's head" thing.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, it's quite good. Also one of the few horror films I know with a last-minute twist that actually enriches the narrative instead of serving as a cheap way to provide a final scare.

There's another film like this called Arang that I really enjoyed watching sometime ago. Been waiting for it to hit VOD on Amazon but it's been unavailable forever.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
poo poo I never realized much The Virgin Suicides influenced It Follows. If you take the first and add a monster and change the soundtrack its the second.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

married but discreet posted:

poo poo I never realized much The Virgin Suicides influenced It Follows. If you take the first and add a monster and change the soundtrack its the second.

Expand because this is a fascinating concept.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I just finished sitting through Ravenous from 2017. Overall not bad but does anyone know what was up with the zombies chair stacking ?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Fart City posted:

Expand because this is a fascinating concept.

E-la-bo-rate.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

baskin was wicked tame compared to what was advertised/talked about in media. same with raw.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Holy moly, Studio Canal’s 4K restoration of Evil Dead 2 looks incredible:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WNgzilRBw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

:awesome:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

The hell? I just bought this one in December:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evil-Dead-2-4K-Blu-ray/218687/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Between this and the Dawn restoration, I really need to make some time with my dad’s giant tv.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Welcome to buying Evil Dead movies on disk in the early 00s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

Welcome to buying Evil Dead movies on disk in the early 00s.

Yeah, I was much poorer then, so I could only buy one of each.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

As far as I know this one was supposed to be very good so I'm not sure what the new restoration is offering that this one doesn't.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

lmao at the posers itt not watching all their movies on VHS

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

they're already advertising it at train stations

the panel on the right say to absolutely not use flash when taking a photo, this is what happens

That is cool as hell.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kvlt! posted:

lmao at the posers itt not watching all their movies on VHS

If you think I don’t own the Evil Dead trilogy on VHS then lmao

Nothing tops the dvds that came in the rubber Necrinomicon though. I still have mine from Evil Dead 2, but the battery died so it no longer screams when you squish the eye.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

As far as I know this one was supposed to be very good so I'm not sure what the new restoration is offering that this one doesn't.

I own it, and I'll confirm that it's good, that's why I'm confused by another release 4 months later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you think I don’t own the Evil Dead trilogy on VHS then lmao

Nothing tops the dvds that came in the rubber Necrinomicon though. I still have mine from Evil Dead 2, but the battery died so it no longer screams when you squish the eye.

I only have the ED1 Book of the Dead version. The rubber is sadly flaking off though :(

Evil Dead 2 is the limited edition tin.

Army of Darkness is also a limited edition, the one that annoyingly only contains the original ending and doesn't even contain the theatrical/standard ending as a special feature. Fun fact: That was the way I watched it for the first time, so it was a few years before I saw the S-Mart ending.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

lmao at the posers itt not watching all their movies on a reel-to-reel projected onto a sheet in a dusty attic

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I own it, and I'll confirm that it's good, that's why I'm confused by another release 4 months later.

You have to be careful with this stuff and probably more details are needed to know if this "restoration" is doing something that wasn't done with the previous release. As far as I know, the one you own isn't like a upscaled digital intermediary, it's listed as native 4k. So I'd want to know more about what makes this new transfer better than what we already have.

It's possible that we're just getting into a period of time where multiple "restorations" will be out there of certain popular cult films, and they'll all be native 4k so the differences will be down to personal taste.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Evil Dead on home media release has never made sense and always been recursive and confusing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I care less about the original Evil Dead, because to me 1080p was already pushing it as far as "the way it was meant to be seen". I just think Evil Dead works best as a down and dirty thing that you feel like you should't be allowed to watch, better and better transfers kinda take away from that.

Evil Dead 2 is different, I want that movie in as many glorious pixels as they can squeeze out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

You have to be careful with this stuff and probably more details are needed to know if this "restoration" is doing something that wasn't done with the previous release. As far as I know, the one you own isn't like a upscaled digital intermediary, it's listed as native 4k. So I'd want to know more about what makes this new transfer better than what we already have.

It's possible that we're just getting into a period of time where multiple "restorations" will be out there of certain popular cult films, and they'll all be native 4k so the differences will be down to personal taste.

Yeah, unless there's some major revelation, or I somehow destroy the disc, I'm not likely to buy another version until we have 12k Video Crystals or whatever is a generation or two down the line.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

So I was curious about this and did some looking around, and apparently... this is the same restoration? Just released by a different distributor? I’m not sure if the interviews advertised in the Studio Canal trailer I posted is on the one you have, or if that’s new to this UK release.

The baffling choices of Evil Dead home media remain a universal constant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I care less about the original Evil Dead, because to me 1080p was already pushing it as far as "the way it was meant to be seen". I just think Evil Dead works best as a down and dirty thing that you feel like you should't be allowed to watch, better and better transfers kinda take away from that.

OG ED looks very good in 4k UHD, I highly recommend it.