Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

DeathChicken posted:

Bam Bam didn't control the flips, the flips controlled him

Bam bam is impressive and all, but what's REALLY impressive in this clip is how bastion booger manages to move out of the corner at the same approximate rate as frozen snails loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Very cool thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the most :aaa: moments for me as a kid was that night Bam Bam ended up the last guy on his Survivor Series team (which included Hulk Hogan!) against three huge dudes including ANDRE THE GIANT and his fighting effort to get it down to a one-on-one only to finally fall against The Giant was loving incredible.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody explain to me why Wrestlemania 19 did such a buyrate? It did 560,000 (compared to 18's 840,000 and 20's 885,00), is there any particular reason for this?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can anybody explain to me why Wrestlemania 19 did such a buyrate? It did 560,000 (compared to 18's 840,000 and 20's 885,00), is there any particular reason for this?

They promoted Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan the most out of any match and Vince has never actually been a big draw as a wrestler. No one really cared about that match. Brock was also never the difference maker they wanted him to be, especially as a babyface so the SD title match wasn't going to save the show and the racist bullshit in HHH vs Booker T sure wasn't going to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Because Hogan/Vince was built as the marquee match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From memory the best match on that card was Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho, which was genuinely great but the only match that I really remember.

It was Rock/Austin's worst match (it was still really good) but a great capper to the "story" of their parallel careers and Austin's slow decline crossing over with Rock's meteoric rise. But in-ring nothing topped HBK/Jericho.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

From memory the best match on that card was Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho, which was genuinely great but the only match that I really remember.

It was Rock/Austin's worst match (it was still really good) but a great capper to the "story" of their parallel careers and Austin's slow decline crossing over with Rock's meteoric rise. But in-ring nothing topped HBK/Jericho.

Brock and Angle was really good until the botch at the end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That’s a hosed up story.

I choose to imagine he put on his tights, so he could be one with the fire.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brock and Kurt was actually really good until THAT botch and a dazed Lesnar having to be walked through an improvised finish by Angle and the ref (I think it was Robinson?) made it seem kind of abrupt. Ironically in much the same way as many of Brock's recent matches.
Booker/HHH would also have not been as badly received had they gone with the natural finish (not just in terms of the storyline, but just in terms of how the match built on the day) of Booker winning after the Houston Hangover, the first time I think he'd hit it in WWE. But instead Trips kicks out like the heroic babyface and then, welp...

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Open Marriage Night posted:

That’s a hosed up story.

I choose to imagine he put on his tights, so he could be one with the fire.

Bam Bam's death still gets to me a little bit. He was my favorite as a kid and was the kind of athlete you don't see much in traditional sports, in that he was a huge weird biker who just happened to be freakishly agile. It sucks that he died so young in such a sad way.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Wrestlemania Main Events:

Bruno Sammartino: 0
Bob Backlund: 0
Ric Flair: 0
Ricky Steamboat: 0
Roddy Piper: 0
Booker T: 0
Kevin Nash: 0
Eddie Guerrero: 0
CM Punk: 0
AJ Styles: 0
Bam Bam Bigelow: 1

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Piper was in the main event of Mania 1

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

purkey posted:

Piper was in the main event of Mania 1

poo poo

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

delete my account, i clearly don't deserve it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.wwe.com/videos/steve-austin-has-a-message-for-the-ecw-locker-room

Forgot how much this promo owns

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

delete my account, i clearly don't deserve it

Mods, read this message. keep this person's account active.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is as a good a time as any to ask this.

I never watched ECW growing up and I want to go back in time and experience it for myself. Helps I've become a huge Raven fan. Anyway, I know about the Network removing music and stuff and I don't mind buying fan collections of Hardcore TV.

But what about PPVs and what wiki calls "supercards?" Are those all available to buy, too? That could be annoying, looking for all those separate events with a bunch each year for several years.

And just to be self-indulgent, what do you all think of Raven's promos and charisma? Bret Hart had a ranking system for a wrestler and I'd be curious what number out of 10 you'd rate Raven's mic work and it factor.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 18, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I never watched ECW growing up and I want to go back in time and experience it for myself. Helps I've become a huge Raven fan. Anyway, I know about the Network removing music and stuff and I don't mind buying fan collections of Hardcore TV.

But what about PPVs and what wiki calls "supercards?" Are those all available to buy, too? That could be annoying, looking for all those separate events with a bunch each year for several years.

And just to be self-indulgent, what do you all think of Raven's promos and charisma? Bret Hart had a ranking system for a wrestler and I'd be curious what number out of 10 you'd rate Raven's mic work and it factor.

Raven was fine in the ring. Not great, but fine, when he had his working shoes on. Promos and character work are where he really shined.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jerusalem posted:

One of the most :aaa: moments for me as a kid was that night Bam Bam ended up the last guy on his Survivor Series team (which included Hulk Hogan!) against three huge dudes including ANDRE THE GIANT and his fighting effort to get it down to a one-on-one only to finally fall against The Giant was loving incredible.

Yeah, that was amazing. I thought he'd end up being more than he did in WWF after that. He looked like a badass.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Von Linus posted:

Yeah, that was amazing. I thought he'd end up being more than he did in WWF after that. He looked like a badass.

He should have and could have, but the Kliq happened.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Randaconda posted:

He should have and could have, but the Kliq happened.

This would have been years before the Kliq, he came in with Sir Oliver Humperdinck after a big angle where all managers were trying to get his services. As far as I remember, Humperdinck disappears, he does well in survivor series, then wrestles maybe one man gang? Then he disappeared. He turned up again years later, but I'd stopped watching by that point.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Von Linus posted:

This would have been years before the Kliq, he came in with Sir Oliver Humperdinck after a big angle where all managers were trying to get his services. As far as I remember, Humperdinck disappears, he does well in survivor series, then wrestles maybe one man gang? Then he disappeared. He turned up again years later, but I'd stopped watching by that point.

I meant when he came back to wrestle LT, and was supposed to get a big babyface push after, but HBK and co. bitched and moaned.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When the Rock left WWE after Summerslam 2002, what movie was he filming? I was going to say The Mummy 2 but that was filmed during his post Wrestlemania 17 absence I think.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

ECW supershows are in a weird grey area where like you say, they aren't on the Network but WWE owns the footage. So I don't want to fall foul of :filez: but there are definitely places on the Internet where you can find them to download in batch. Same places have Hardcore TV with the music. And a lot of adverts from the time which is a real fun timeshare. Although I will say that the major stuff tends to air on Hardcore TV and you can absolutely get by with just that stuff.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

its funny that when austin came into wwe they put him with dibiase because they didnt want him doing promos.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Randaconda posted:

I meant when he came back to wrestle LT, and was supposed to get a big babyface push after, but HBK and co. bitched and moaned.

Bigelow really got shafted with the face turn. They turned Michaels right around the same time and positioned him higher than Bigelow. Bigelow just kind of ended up being Diesel's sidekick. He would have been, at best, the #5 babyface on the depth chart but if they kept him heel he would have been the second or third biggest heel on the roster.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When the Rock left WWE after Summerslam 2002, what movie was he filming? I was going to say The Mummy 2 but that was filmed during his post Wrestlemania 17 absence I think.

Scorpion King, wasn't it?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Whenever I hear from people online about exposing the business, the conversation always comes back to Dave and Wade or doing 10,000 flips. Usually they say that in the old days, it looked a lot more realistic. When I watch that stuff, it's great, but I cannot take it seriously as a real fight because they're not doing real submission grappling or boxing.

My question is, has anyone done more to expose the business than Rorion Gracie and Akira Maeda?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

Whenever I hear from people online about exposing the business, the conversation always comes back to Dave and Wade or doing 10,000 flips. Usually they say that in the old days, it looked a lot more realistic. When I watch that stuff, it's great, but I cannot take it seriously as a real fight because they're not doing real submission grappling or boxing.

My question is, has anyone done more to expose the business than Rorion Gracie and Akira Maeda?

Anybody pinning Kurt Angle

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MMA didn't just expose the business, it exposed pretty much every other fighting style but amateur wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai. A few have made some comebacks, but what they look like in actual fights resembles what they look like in movies or in single style sparring. Old wrestling just was not going to be believable in a post MMA world, no matter what the old grumps want to say. Anyway, it was exposed more than once and it never died, starting in 30s in the States. If anything, the constant kayfabing may have done more to stifle wrestling than anything else because some people look at that and feel insulted by it. I don't hear anybody champing at the bit to go on about how my favorite prime time tv show is fake, or the action movies that are on all the time.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
itd be kind of hard for someone champing at a bit to say anything, but that's me being pedantic :colbert:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

One time I was watching wrestling and my younger sister walked into the room and started watching. She turns to me and says "why are they punching? I thought this was wrestling, not boxing"

Kayfabe was shattered on that day, for a 10 year old girl

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

remusclaw posted:

MMA didn't just expose the business, it exposed pretty much every other fighting style but amateur wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai. A few have made some comebacks, but what they look like in actual fights resembles what they look like in movies or in single style sparring. Old wrestling just was not going to be believable in a post MMA world, no matter what the old grumps want to say. Anyway, it was exposed more than once and it never died, starting in 30s in the States. If anything, the constant kayfabing may have done more to stifle wrestling than anything else because some people look at that and feel insulted by it. I don't hear anybody champing at the bit to go on about how my favorite prime time tv show is fake, or the action movies that are on all the time.

I do go after other forms of media but only if they say they are realistic or real in some manner

Someone told me that apart from dragons and such, Game of Thrones is a realistic portrayal of life in the Middle Ages, and I went after that

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

They promoted Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan the most out of any match and Vince has never actually been a big draw as a wrestler. No one really cared about that match. Brock was also never the difference maker they wanted him to be, especially as a babyface so the SD title match wasn't going to save the show and the racist bullshit in HHH vs Booker T sure wasn't going to.

Neither was Hogan.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

One time I was watching wrestling and my younger sister walked into the room and started watching. She turns to me and says "why are they punching? I thought this was wrestling, not boxing"

Kayfabe was shattered on that day, for a 10 year old girl

God drat kids got no respect for the business.

How would the nWo have gone if Hogan pulled out from turning at the last minute and they sent out Sting instead? My gut says they would spend a few months doing what actually happened but then face Hogan beats them and that's that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I do go after other forms of media but only if they say they are realistic or real in some manner

Someone told me that apart from dragons and such, Game of Thrones is a realistic portrayal of life in the Middle Ages, and I went after that

Yeah that poo poo irritates me too. I'm not going off about Latinized Hercules dealing with Greek named Gods anymore like I was when I was grumpy kid but don't wave grim and gritty comic book poo poo in my face and tell me its good history. But I wont hold it against the show unless the people behind it are trying to put one over one me. Wrestling has a bad habit of being disdainful of it's audience.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 18, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Bret/Lawler feud that started at the ‘93 King of the Ring lasted two loving years?

Why?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Are there any CMLL matches, or lucha matches in general, on tape from before 1980? I've only ever seen Jumbo/Máscaras from AJPW in 1977, and idk if that's even a typical Mil Máscaras match for the period because I can't find any other matches of his to compare it with.

e: v Ah, damnit. Thanks. v

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Venomous posted:

Are there any CMLL matches on tape from before 1980? I've only ever seen Jumbo/Máscaras from AJPW in 1977, and idk if that's even a typical Mil Máscaras match for the period because I can't find any other matches of his to compare it with.

it's hard to find a cmll match from before 1991