Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that scene at the end was the happiest they’ve showed Margo all series, and they only let her have it for like a minute.

She's an excellent actor. I was really impressed by the choice to just focus on her face during that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like I missed an episode, or a lot of episodes, between S4E3 and S4E4.

Why is Margo being nice to Josh like at all?

What timeline is this Julia from? This Julia went to Brakebills, right, so this isn't the Julia who studied hedge magic and was raped by Reynard? But then what was the whole deal about "I'm not fragile, people heal"?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like I missed an episode, or a lot of episodes, between S4E3 and S4E4.

What timeline is this Julia from? This Julia went to Brakebills, right, so this isn't the Julia who studied hedge magic and was raped by Reynard? But then what was the whole deal about "I'm not fragile, people heal"?

No, it's the same Julia. It was her Witness Protection Identity from S4E1 and S4E2 that was attending Brakebills.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Can someone remind why she isn’t a goddess anymore? I feel like I would have to rewatch the last half of last season o understand what everyone’s motivation and current magic stance is.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The fragility thing comes from Penny 23's history where he and Julia 23 were an item and Quentin 23 gutted her.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thank you guys

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can someone remind why she isn’t a goddess anymore? I feel like I would have to rewatch the last half of last season o understand what everyone’s motivation and current magic stance is.
Same, I watched 1 and 2 right before watching 3 as it aired, but I wasn't gonna rewatch 1-3 before 4, but now I'm very hazy on details

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Blind Rasputin posted:

She burned up her goddess power remaking the golden keys after Alice destroyed the original set.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Flatscan posted:

She burned up her goddess power remaking the golden keys after Alice destroyed the original set.

Just like Prometheus who made the original keys. In the show.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Julia is still a goddess. Just without magic currently.

Flatscan posted:

But still has power according to EP4. Power =/= Magic apparently but she'll probably return to form in some way.

The rest of magic has been rationed by the library. Everyone can do a little.

For example, In EP3, Quentin wins the card game by removing all the magic from the room and just pulling a sleight of hand trick to win.

Dean Fogg has been negotiating with the library for more magic to teach and who he can teach, etc. (Julia in EP 1 & 2)

Anne Whateley posted:

Because Margo isn't a bad person at all. She's a complete badass and is the type of person (to quote from another thread I read) "takes maximal responsibility" of her charges in Fillory as well as her friends. Especially seasons 2-3, Margo pushes everyone to be their best. She doesn't like petty bs or self pity.

Margo has always been this person, but it's been hidden through the veneer of being overshadowed by males and maybe even a bit by Eliot. It really meant the world to Margo that Eliot named her High King and Margo continues to rise to the challenge.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I kind of wish they'd played out the "Elliot's dead for reals, the baddie told us so" story longer without revealing to the viewer that it isn't true. Still gonna be rough for the characters, but I weirdly think I would have preferred to stew in that idea as an audience member for a few episodes, even though T.V. logic says we're probably getting real Elliot back at the end of the season.

Josh's story had a sweet ending this episode, but I feel like there had to be some easy fixes, the most obvious one being basically the Tinder suggestion only with some detailed pamphlets and whatnot on what they're in for. Bound to be someone who's into it among the general populace who doesn't know magic is real.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

NowonSA posted:

I kind of wish they'd played out the "Elliot's dead for reals, the baddie told us so" story longer without revealing to the viewer that it isn't true. Still gonna be rough for the characters, but I weirdly think I would have preferred to stew in that idea as an audience member for a few episodes, even though T.V. logic says we're probably getting real Elliot back at the end of the season.

Josh's story had a sweet ending this episode, but I feel like there had to be some easy fixes, the most obvious one being basically the Tinder suggestion only with some detailed pamphlets and whatnot on what they're in for. Bound to be someone who's into it among the general populace who doesn't know magic is real.

There were generally like "magic groupies" in that one episode with the vampire or whatever.

If this poo poo happens like every 30 years is Josh like 50?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Spanish Matlock posted:

There were generally like "magic groupies" in that one episode with the vampire or whatever.

If this poo poo happens like every 30 years is Josh like 50?

I think they said it’s tied somehow to the lunar cycle so maybe every 30 years the moon/Earth/stars are aligned in a certain way to have this happen to all werewolves at once.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

geeves posted:

Because Margo isn't a bad person at all.
You don't have to be a bad person to be irritated by a drip ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying she should be a huge rear end in a top hat to him, but one episode to go from "keep up, annoying dude" to "I want a serious relationship with you, idec about the lifelong consequences"? :///

Although her justification for that was very Margo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
OK I just started watching the current season and I am super duper confused about what's going on. I've seen the other seasons but I just don't really remember much. I'm vaguely reminded that they are currently in a different timeline because I think Marina is dead in our timeline (well, she ded in both now) and I thought Penny was as well. This is the timeline where Quentin was the Beast right? What happened to the original timeline again?

Who are the McCallisters again and why are they so special that they apparently don't have magic rationed?

Speaking of magic rationing, does whatever the Library is doing affect all worlds and timelines or just Earth? Or in other words can they do magic in Fillory? Do gods also have magic rationed?

What ever happened with the elves from last season?

As far as the quickening storyline, I'm calling bullshit that Josh could not find one willing person to gently caress who had a fetish for werwolves. In a world where there are people getting off to drawings of dinosaurs having sex with cars and furrys are a thing I'm pretty sure there's got to be someone out there who is like "gently caress yeah I wanna be a werwolf."

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 18, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're in their own timeline, but the current Marina and Penny are refugees from the Quentin-beast timeline. The fairies are still up and about but I think their business with the gang is concluded? Margo has a fairy eye now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK I just started watching the current season and I am super duper confused about what's going on. I've seen the other seasons but I just don't really remember much. I'm vaguely reminded that they are currently in a different timeline because I think Marina is dead in our timeline (well, she ded in both now) and I thought Penny was as well. This is the timeline where Quentin was the Beast right? What happened to the original timeline again?

Nope. They're still in the same timeline. Marina and Penny jumped ship from Timeline 23 to the current one.

Also, no way would they kill Marina offscreen, given how much trouble the show went to in order to get her back onto the show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who are the McCallisters again and why are they so special that they apparently don't have magic rationed?

They're an old family of abusive fuckwads who still had magic last season (even though everyone else didn't) because they were enslaving and then snorting fairies. They teamed up with the Library to help her magic back, because the Library needed their supply of dead slaves. The Library gives them unlimited magical supplies as part of their binding agreement.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of magic rationing, does whatever the Library is doing affect all worlds and timelines or just Earth? Or in other words can they do magic in Fillory? Do gods also have magic rationed?

The magic rationing only affects this one timeline -- IIRC it still existed in timeline 23 -- it's not clear if the Library can travel to other timelines, but they're certainly aware of them. The Library has effectively damned and then syphoned off the font of all magic, that supplied magic to all lands and all species, and they're using that to standardise the universe.

Gods don't have their magic rationed, nor do certain kinds of magical creature (like fairies, dragons, lamprey, etc.) and some magical objects have been demonstrated to retain their charge (the batteries, the keys). They all maintain their magic independently.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What ever happened with the elves from last season?

They set up home in Fillory, where they're now a protected species. We'll probably see them again.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 18, 2019

Serpente
Dec 3, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

You don't have to be a bad person to be irritated by a drip ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying she should be a huge rear end in a top hat to him, but one episode to go from "keep up, annoying dude" to "I want a serious relationship with you, idec about the lifelong consequences"? :///

Although her justification for that was very Margo

lol at thinking Margo wants a serious relationship with Josh. she just hosed him to save him, not be his girlfriend.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, there were a couple lines of dialogue about how it was serious.

I feel like the whole thing was ridiculously out of character for Margo. Like she wouldn't have just found someone who deserved to be murdered?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gods still have magic because magic itself comes from gods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

No, there were a couple lines of dialogue about how it was serious.

I feel like the whole thing was ridiculously out of character for Margo. Like she wouldn't have just found someone who deserved to be murdered?

She suggested that in the episode. Josh wasn't on board because it might take too long and he didn't want to kill anyone anyway. I think her actions make perfect sense given the fact that Josh isn't anywhere near as ruthless as she is, and she's still grieving over the possibly permanent loss of her best friend. She wanted to make sure she didn't lose anyone else and she knew she could deal with the curse because she's a badass, so why not?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Also Margo wants to protect people. She knew Josh killing someone would wreck him, and for all that she's badass and aloof, she gives a poo poo. She fought with Eliot in like... last season? about how he was just given the power to rule but she wants it and she's always wanted to be able to look out for folks she cares about.

If Josh said he could kill a bad person, Margo would have walked out of there in a second - but he couldn't, and she wasn't going to make him. She'll just do that herself next time around.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
She just made him kill Bacchus, his actual friend. She doesn't give that much of a poo poo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

She just made him kill Bacchus, his actual friend. She doesn't give that much of a poo poo.
She made him kill Bacchus to save herself and everyone else, she's a Hard Decisions person

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect she also feels fairly guilty over what she forced him to do there, hence her willingness to offer him a different out here.

It's not like she didn't realise she was being a hypocrite when she forced him to kill his best god friend so she wouldn't have to kill her best friend.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Clearly Josh has a lot of updates to make to the hookup/murder diagram.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
It’ll probably give her even more clout with the talking animals come re-election time on Fillory.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Shuffle posted:

It’ll probably give her even more clout with the talking animals come re-election time on Fillory.

Yup. Totally calculated political maneuvering, she's gonna drop Josh like a hot potato next episode :P

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Doesn't this just mean that, come next werewolf moon phase, they'll both have to kill someone?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Svensken posted:

Doesn't this just mean that, come next werewolf moon phase, they'll both have to kill someone?

It's a once every thirty years thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Svensken posted:

Doesn't this just mean that, come next werewolf moon phase, they'll both have to kill someone Todd?

Yes, it does.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whalley posted:

She made him kill Bacchus to save herself and everyone else, she's a Hard Decisions person

She's a Hard Decision That Favors Margo person.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Margot and Josh are going to have an loving relationship built on respect, consent, and mutual attraction and nerds are going to blow themselves

Edit: up outside Scifi's office.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What is gently caress?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

What is gently caress?

Dead gently caress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We had a family. :(

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

We had a family. :(

That was beautiful, and unexpected. I never really expected the show to fully commit to that in this way.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
This show is too goddamn good

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Well I just had a cry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I actually started crying at that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yeah, I actually started crying at that moment.

It also confirms so many things. Like other than that threesome in season 1, and that makeout during The Mosaic, it was a little ambiguous whether Quentin and Eliot really had something going on during their life together. It was maybe implied, or I certainly hoped it had been the case.

But this proved that they were in love all those years, and that thrills me. But it also breaks my heart that Eliot pushed Quentin away.

Maybe once we actually get Eliot back, they can explore an actual relationship.