Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I use the BT controls because I put black electrical tape over the temp wheel to keep the blinding blue light from blasting in my eyes at night. I've never had it shut off due to being out of range, but I also never set timers, so I'm unsure what the behavior with a timer on the phone would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dacap posted:

Which salt brand are you using? This actually makes a difference. Most chefs and things online specify they use Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt, which is actually much less salty than other brands such as Morton’s.

I learned this the hard way by buying a different salt and seasoning with as much as I normally did with DC and it came out way too salty.

I would add that there is a vast difference between table salt and kosher salt. I would never ever ever use the former.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

I would add that there is a vast difference between table salt and kosher salt. I would never ever ever use the former.

Crystal density! Maldon flame salt is so much less salty per flake than Morton’s kosher.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I was under the impression that more finely ground salt is the "too salty" stuff because it dissolves more quickly. Nothing to do with brands or crystal type or origin (which impart subtler flavors).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Morton's is definitely saltier than Diamond Crystal brand. Finally made the switch and it helped a bunch. Finish with Maldon flake

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Infinite Karma posted:

I was under the impression that more finely ground salt is the "too salty" stuff because it dissolves more quickly. Nothing to do with brands or crystal type or origin (which impart subtler flavors).

Finely ground salt is only "saltier" than flake salt if you're measuring it by volume. A cup of pickling salt will weigh more than a cup of kosher salt because more actual salt would fit into that space due to being more finely ground.

Asides that, no one type of salt is inherently "saltier" than another. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have had my anova for ages now, and have used it for things like steaks and bits of chicken and a lamb roast and its been brilliant. In the other side of the kitchen I have been using my yogurt maker to do the obvious and it never occured to me to put 2 and 2 together, so now I need to find a container system that I can stick my anova in and still have enough space for a 2l or 4l container for the yogurt.

Have been on a bit of a kick to reduce clutter in the kitchen, and ever since I found out you can get better rice out of a pressure cooker, I have ditched my rice makers as well. If I can get rid of this yogurt maker, I will have condensed 6 or 7 devices down to 3.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I haven't made a thread yet but just looking for pricing advice. I have a 100% brand new in box, never touched or opened Anova Wifi model (I bought 2 and never got around to Double-Puddling).

Is 110 a fair price for it? (Amazon has it for 160.)

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Never mind I ended up eating even when I wasn’t hungry cuz fat

cereal eater fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 14, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Morton's is definitely saltier than Diamond Crystal brand. Finally made the switch and it helped a bunch. Finish with Maldon flake

I did the same! Its so much better. I highly recommend everyone ditch mortons. I finish with fleur de sal or Maldons.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Skyarb posted:

I did the same! Its so much better. I highly recommend everyone ditch mortons. I finish with fleur de sal or Maldons.

I meant finish with Maldons fleur de sal. But the poster earlier clarified what I was trying to say about by volume Morton's is way more salt

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

NPR Journalizard posted:

Have been on a bit of a kick to reduce clutter in the kitchen, and ever since I found out you can get better rice out of a pressure cooker, I have ditched my rice makers as well. If I can get rid of this yogurt maker, I will have condensed 6 or 7 devices down to 3.

Instant Pot.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 15, 2019

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is the instant pot better at rice than a good rice maker? I've been using a Tiger I found on clearance a couple years ago and it's great

Development
Jun 2, 2016

nope. Our IP’s rice isn’t nearly as good as our entry level Zojirushi rice cooker

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Is the instant pot better at rice than a good rice maker? I've been using a Tiger I found on clearance a couple years ago and it's great

I sold my tiger once I figured out how to make rice in the instant pot. Its not as easy but the results are better.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im in australia, so this isnt as much of a thing over here, but I got a breville that does slow and pressure cooking. Really handy.

Side note, I did a trial batch of 4l of yogurt with my anova and it turns out perfectly fine, so im pretty happy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm no spring chicken, but these are!

Came across them randomly in a deli, not too expensive either. Gonna thaw them out over night, perhaps re-bag individually (or perhaps not?), puddle them at 65C for some amount of time, then chill, season, blast under grill elements and pop them whole on top of some mushroom risotto.

Has anyone done these or other smaller birds whole before? I've done bigger chickens a few times now, and it works ok but the connective tissue needs more time that the breast probably doesn't like. Might try a 24 hour bird at some point, these will only get a few hours.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Development posted:

nope. Our IP’s rice isn’t nearly as good as our entry level Zojirushi rice cooker

This is a contested opinion.

quote:

there was one threshold I refused to allow the Instant Pot to cross. It involved my trusted rice cooker—an extremely Asian rice cooker—a futuristic appliance you’d mock me for owning if you knew how much I paid for it. (It plays a song when it’s done cooking!) Rice was the last frontier, and I wasn’t about to allow this $70 Instant Pot to usurp my [grumble grumble]-dollar Zojirushi from Outer Space.

Well, what do you know.

This stupid $70 appliance invented in Canada makes the superior rice.

Better. And quicker.
https://thetakeout.com/recipe-how-to-make-rice-in-instant-pot-1831442802

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The "Rice" button on the IP is junk, but you can make fantastic rice in it.

I, too, have gotten rid of my (admittedly cheap) rice cooker.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm way into random kitchen accessories that take up my entire house but I've never owned a rice cooker. Is there an advantage to it over a pot?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

I'm way into random kitchen accessories that take up my entire house but I've never owned a rice cooker. Is there an advantage to it over a pot?

Two schools of thought:

•You're a noob for not wanting to do it on the stove. It's easy enough on the stove and why do you need a separate appliance for that you lazy person you
•Rice cookers make great rice by pressing one button. Even the cheap ones will give you excellent results with zero effort or babysitting

I'm in the latter camp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The real good rice cookers advantage is keeping rice for days imho

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In addition, you can just plug it in anywhere and have counter and especially stovetop space for other preps and cooking.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The real good rice cookers advantage is keeping rice for days imho

I have a Zojirushi. I have for a decade. Not top of the line, but one of the good ones. I know they keep rice warm, but I have never made it try to do that for more than an evening.

Can we discuss what/how they keep rice for days? Do they just keep them warm?
Can we discuss why/how this is safe? Are the temps high enough?

I'm not doubting. Just want to know more. :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

I have a Zojirushi. I have for a decade. Not top of the line, but one of the good ones. I know they keep rice warm, but I have never made it try to do that for more than an evening.

Warm, probably not the safest like the old soup pots of old.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

My Panasonic keeps the rice well above 140f on keep warm for as long as I'll keep it on. I feel weird about longer than 48 hours though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have a (large number) dollar rice cooker that I bought like 10 years ago that I still use because it is so forgiving to the point of being silly. It makes the same quality rice no matter how much water I put into it or how long I leave it for (I've used extended warm for almost a week at sometimes with no ill effects). The IP is much more finicky, and I'm sure it would make perfect rice if you took the time to do it, but naaahhhhh.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How does extended warm work without drying the gently caress out of your rice?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's a good seal? :shrug:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Blown away yet again tonight with simple chicken breasts that were seasoned, vacuumed, frozen, left for months, dropped in a puddle for 2 hours then seared. It is giving me flashbacks of how our chicken breasts used to come out.

Only downside of all of this SV we’ve been doing is cleaning up the splatter from the crispening. Splatter screen doesnt do the job well enough, even on a deep pot. I need a salamander oven...

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 17, 2019

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hasselblad posted:

Blown away yet again tonight with simple chicken breasts that were seasoned, vacuumed, frozen, left for months, dropped in a puddle for 2 hours then seared. It is giving me flashbacks of how our chicken breasts used to come out.

Only downside of all of this SV we’ve been doing is cleaning up the splatter from the crispening. Splatter screen doesnt do the job well enough, even on a deep pot. I need a salamander oven...

Have you tried a Searzall? I love mine.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

poeticoddity posted:

Not compatible with drinking while cooking.
Come summer maybe I will break out the propane tank weed-burner.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Has anyone dabbled with jaccard when it comes to sous vide steaks? I am not convinced it actually works. I watched a sous vide everything video where they said it made it SLIGHTLY more tender but it seemed mostly selection bias. But some people here and there swear by jaccarding their steaks...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

poeticoddity posted:

How do you keep from blowing out your screens? I bought another new set but haven’t installed and seasoned them yet. Worried I’m just going to blow through them again....

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Ultimate Mango posted:

How do you keep from blowing out your screens? I bought another new set but haven’t installed and seasoned them yet. Worried I’m just going to blow through them again....

I don't think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary. I very carefully followed the instructions that came with it and, while it warped slightly and discolored a bit, it still works great.

I can't think of anything that'd do that unless you're using map gas or something.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How long did the first set last you? I'm on my second set, but I've been using the mine for years now. The consumable cost doesn't really bother me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How long did the first set last you? I'm on my second set, but I've been using the mine for years now. The consumable cost doesn't really bother me.

First set was years with rather infrequent use. Second set like three uses. Haven’t bothered to install the replacements.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I'm a bit of a weirdo, I like to make sous vide burger patties without searing them a lot of times because I have hosed up teeth and when I'm shoving protein rich foods down my maw, I prefer for them to not have surprise crunchy bits. The patties pretty much always look "weird" because of the cooking method and not searing them, in fact people at work are convinced I'm eating meat that hasn't been cooked sometimes, despite me trying to explain sous vide.

Tonight I cooked some @ 142.5 f for a little over 2.5 hours.

Some of the meat almost has a greenish looking hue, only where it was touching the plastic though. Parts where it wasn't came out a typical redish color, for instance that big chunk of red on the top one was from where it was touching the other patty(I usually do 2 patties per bag). So I'm assuming it's probably just some weird thing with the plastic? The meat wasn't expired, smelled/looked fine before and after. I dared eat a tiny little piece afterward and it tasted normal.

That's about how it looks IRL, it was possibly a tad greener looking in the light of the kitchen.

I just want to know if it's safe to eat, feel free to make fun of me for not searing it afterward though. edit: oh if it makes any difference they got thrown in the freezer for a couple of hours so when I made them into patties they were very very slightly frozen, not enough to not be able to easily shape them though. Also looking at google 142 might be a tad high for sous vide, it's pretty normal for the burgers to be darker where they touch the bags, it just seems a little greenish looking today for some reason and kind of freaked me out.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 18, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's just looks like oxidation. What are you bagging the patties with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just ziploc bags. And since I crammed 2 patties per bag, I wasn't able to do a great job of getting the air out. I'm sure if the meat were spoiled, the insides would look off as well, rather than just a really thin outer layer. The greenish part was probably just my imagination/the lighting in the kitchen.

e: Now that I'm cooking more regularly and since the patties are a good protein source for me that's easy to cook up and eat whenever, I guess I should look into a vacuum sealer.

Also it's apparently fine to sous vide ground beef around 132-135? May try a little lower temp next time to see how it turns out.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 18, 2019